PDA

View Full Version : Folder Hierarchy

Tony3d
01-07-2016, 08:41 AM
Hi All, I have a very big job coming up, and need to keep it organized. I will need a job folder Hierarchy of 3-4 levels deep. Will this cause any problems on a Mac with Lightwave finding files?

ernpchan
01-07-2016, 08:51 AM
It shouldn't as long as it's pointed to as a Content folder. Not sure if this answers your question as the question seems odd. I've had folders well beyond 4 levels.

For example:
Content/Objects/Props/A/Apple/wip

Danner
01-07-2016, 09:19 AM
It shouldn't have any problems. We have a non-standard content directory structure at my office, lightwave points to a common content directory in a local server simply called "projects", then we have a folder for each client, then inside each client we have folders for images, objects, reference photos etc etc.. It works well. (with some caveats) The advantage of having a high level content directory is that you can reuse objects from any other project and all scenes and textures load without asking for anything. You also have less repetition of textures and objects since you can reuse the same set of objects (like the same palm trees for every beach scene). We also often make new versions of older objects and textures so we can tweak them without messing the originals up. Having all your assets not encapsulated in their own directory does mean that if you want to share the scene, send it out to a render farm or use Amleto then you need to do a "package scene" operation.