PDA

View Full Version : LW2015 Rendering Issue

ckeyes888
01-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Hey,

Having a weird issue with rendered frames. I have a scene where my test renders are very different than my actual saved files.
If I render just frame 100 to a file it looks as expected. If I start the rendering from frame 1 frame 100, and all others, look completely different.

I'm using LW 2015 in trial mode on a new iMac if that matters.

The only difference between the two images is how they were rendered. The correct, darker, image was rendered using the F10 button with it set to render just frame 100 as
a numbered jpg.

The other lighter, incorrect, image was rendered the same way only starting at frame 1.

I used LW quite a bit many years ago and am getting back into it but never came across any issue like this.
Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Carl

BeeVee
01-07-2016, 07:45 AM
I would say it's a Color Space problem although your description seems to indicate you are using F10 in both cases? One wasn't an F9 that you saved?

B

Snosrap
01-08-2016, 09:36 PM
F9 tests and F10 frames should be identical. Not sure what's going here. Maybe a post effect (Bloom perhaps) turned on?

Surrealist.
01-08-2016, 10:58 PM
I am not sure about color space, because that would be an overall effect and it looks to me like it is related to lighting. Though I could be wrong. If it is a color space issue the problem would have to be as Ben states and it would be related to different settings In the preview window. If for example your output format. There is an option to output in Linear or sRGB. And that difference would show up in the save. However, if you have all of your other color space settings correct, setting a jpeg to linear would result in a darker image, not a lighter one.

To be sure hit O for options and go to CS tab and see that you have the correct settings for linear workflow. There are presets for srGB and rec709. By default it is disabled and everything is set to Linear which is confusing as hell. To me anyway. Took me a while to get my head around what I consider to be everything labled backwards.

Anyway, assuming that is all correct, I would try starting to track down your issue light by light.

I don't know how this would be possible, but I wonder if there is an envelope or expression on one of the lights that only gets triggered if rendering from frame 0 or 1.

If that is not the issue, did you by chance clone a light rather than simply create a new one?

I have had some lights do strange things when I cloned them. Maybe delete the light that is shining there and replace it with one using the same settings and see if that fixes it.

All the ideas I can think of. :)

DrStrik9
01-08-2016, 11:34 PM
I'd say check all light panels and shift-click on any envelope "E's".

spherical
01-08-2016, 11:45 PM
I would say it's a Color Space problem although your description seems to indicate you are using F10 in both cases?

The background, walls and floor away from the spotlights indicate that it is not a color space issue. They are either identical or extremely close. If it were color space, it would influence everything. My supposition is that there is a keyframe somewhere along the line that bumps the light settings.

jwiede
01-09-2016, 12:25 AM
The background, walls and floor away from the spotlights indicate that it is not a color space issue. They are either identical or extremely close. If it were color space, it would influence everything. My supposition is that there is a keyframe somewhere along the line that bumps the light settings.

Except keyframing/enveloping doesn't explain why (as noted in the OP's post) frame 100's lighting is off when rendered as a sequence frames 1-100 versus sequence 100-100.

It could be an issue with keyframes not being properly applied in the single-frame-F10-rendered 100 case, perhaps. Just keyframing alone shouldn't yield a difference in the same frame between being rendered individually and as part of a sequence, Layout should still apply the keyframes as appropriate to yield the same state for frame 100 whether rendered solely as sequence, individually (f9), or as the entire sequence. Seems like a bug, at least based on the (limited) info provided.

In order to really see what's going on, we'd need an upload of the packaged scene (perhaps simplified & de-IP'd if prob still occurs). If you can't upload, then file a bug, attach the packaged scene, and send to LW3DG. Without being able to see the scene contents, there's not enough info to really debug further.

JonW
01-09-2016, 01:24 AM
I had a lighting issue where I had accidentally changed something, took me ages to find it. In the end it was right under my nose!

Have you looked though the Dope Sheet thoroughly.

spherical
01-09-2016, 02:48 AM
It could be an issue with keyframes not being properly applied in the single-frame-F10-rendered 100 case, perhaps.

That's what I was getting at.

Just keyframing alone shouldn't yield a difference in the same frame between being rendered individually and as part of a sequence, Layout should still apply the keyframes as appropriate to yield the same state for frame 100 whether rendered solely as sequence, individually (f9), or as the entire sequence.

Which is what makes it puzzling.

spherical
01-09-2016, 02:50 AM
I had a lighting issue where I had accidentally changed something, took me ages to find it. In the end it was right under my nose!

And when you found it, it was.......?

JonW
01-09-2016, 03:18 AM
I had changed a light to 100% which should have been 10%. Didn't see the extra 0

djwaterman
01-09-2016, 04:57 AM
Is it a radiosity or caustics issue perhaps? If you render frame 100 and then render it again, are they identical?

JonW
01-09-2016, 05:37 AM
F10 maybe using a different file. Package scene when try both.

Mastoy
01-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Could also be that you baked radiosity for frame 100 with an old light setup. Are you using baked radiosity ?