PDA

View Full Version : volumetric lights.....Photometric

Otterman
01-05-2016, 03:51 AM
I'm playing around with these for the first time in ages. I need the visible light to play with geometry and be volumetric. The Distant, point and spot look a little too unrealistic for my liking. I love the look of the photometric using IES files but they don't seem to be volumetric.

Am I missing something or is there a trick to faking these?

RomanS
01-05-2016, 05:30 AM
This workflow for volumetric lights works great! Iīm using it a lot:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129174-BETTER-Volume-Lights-Tutorial

Roman

Otterman
01-05-2016, 08:05 AM
This workflow for volumetric lights works great! Iīm using it a lot:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129174-BETTER-Volume-Lights-Tutorial

Roman

I saw this but dismissed it as I didn't see any benefit over conventional volumetric lights. However reading though it again it does say it works with IES. Wow!

Will this light interact with geometry as well?

RomanS
01-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Yes it works with any kind of light source. IES lights as well. Thatīs the reason why I suggested this workflow. Any light interacts with your geometry as far as itīs not disabled ;-)

But as Mr_Q wrote, I also would suggest to render the lit Hypervoxels as separate layer against black with all objects turned to matte objects. Later you can screen it over your rendering (in After Effects for instance). The good thing about this is that itīs far more easy to adjust the look of the volumetric lights in compositing.

Roman

Otterman
01-05-2016, 08:35 AM
RomanS I thank you. Gives me the confidence to jump in and give it a try.

Ma3rk
01-05-2016, 10:19 AM
A year or so back at the now seemingly defunct LALWUG, Dave Jerrard was demoing something or other and showed some planets and nebula. He just casually mentioned that he was using Vol Lights and HV, I guess pretty much like this. I asked him if he'd do a presentation for us sometime and his reply was that "I could do an entire book on this stuff". Several chimed in that they'd buy it, but neither ever came about.

Don't know if he still lurks here, but he's the one to corner and get the scoop.

Otterman
01-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Hi Ma3rk

The tutorial that Roman pointed to really work and they work well. With this technique Volumetric IES lights are possible so I'm a happy chappie. Really easy to use, look better than the 'standard' volumetric lights and render pretty fast too boot. All good.

Credit to Mr_Q who's original post it was.