PDA

View Full Version : Radial Array

blindsided
01-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Hi I am trying to do an animation similar to the Speaker made from balls reacting to Audio at the end of the dolby ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzyAjoBLzY8

I thought i could employ the pin toy technique from William Vaughans tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzjXwyRgeCQ

the technique requires that a morph be made and the points be scaled down to 0 from the first ball and then that ball is cloned.

In order to clone the balls into a circle, I used Mike Greens Radial Array, but it screws up the morph for the cloned balls.

how could i go about creating a similar pattern with lightwave native tools?
thanks

pinkmouse
01-04-2016, 04:26 PM
The array is fine, you just need to use more modern tools to animate them like nodes and DPkit. I might do a tutorial on it tomorrow :)

JoePoe
01-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Pinkmouse: looking forward to the tute! Always appreciate DPk instruction.

In the meantime.... just because it can be done, and may be relevant in other ways.

1) Make a single point at the origin
2) Use Mike Greens Radial Array to array just that point.
3) New layer: make one ball (size will depend on your point spacing), create the morph to zero.
4) With points in background, and ball in foreground (back in base state), use Point Clone plus :thumbsup:

After clone 131756 and with morph on 131757

pinkmouse
01-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sDFJ3Spo1A

Enjoy!

JoePoe
01-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Very very nice!! Thanks for covering multiple angles of approach! Well done sir.

pinkmouse
01-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Fact is, you need to stack multiple methods to get an equivalent animation with LW as it is at present. If I had more time, I'd do a shot by shot breakdown and duplicate it as exactly as possible, but frankly, after the first ten minutes, I suspect it would get very boring for the viewer. I suspect I was pushing it with this one, it ran to nearly twenty minutes! ;)

blindsided
01-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Hey guys thanks so much for the help.
I spent today doing JoePoe's method applied to william V pin toy, and then going over the 2 'get started with dp kit' tuts you have PinkMouse. Which were great thank you. I am overwhelmed with the new tut though, i really cant thank you enough, as great as the 2 intros were, i couldnt begin to work out how to apply it to the balls. my intention was to come back on to ask a few follow up Qs as the forum hadnt sent a notification of any updates!
My result from today was nowhere near as good as using the dpkit in your video and as a follow on from the 2 intro vids has been the best explanation of DPkit and node displacement I have done.
I am going to attempt a few things following the video, and hoped you wouldnt mind if I have a few follow up questions I will inevitably have, although I will try not to make them too basic!!

Thanks for being tactful on the state of my uploaded model!! And dont listen to our american cousins, you pronounce Maths correctly.:dance:

pinkmouse
01-05-2016, 04:38 PM
No problems, I'm glad I could help, and feel free to ask any questions you like.

Regarding your model, it's always best to do R&D with as low a poly models as you can get away with. With the nodal setups I showed, once you get it working you can just copy and paste the networks to your high poly finalized versions, simulating anything as a high poly mesh is always incredibly tedious.

And don't forget to experiment, plugging things in to other things at random is sometimes a very creative process.:)

zapper1998
01-05-2016, 05:30 PM
awesome indeed

blindsided
01-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks Again for the amazing help.
I had a follow with the tutorial today.
I mixed a couple of pinkmouse's methods, I used the gradient to create a speaker shape and then I created an image seq in After Effects and added them together.
I will try to render the seq out to see how the animation worked.

pinkmouse
01-06-2016, 03:32 PM
I look forward to seeing it.

blindsided
01-08-2016, 10:39 AM
I have been playing about a bit and trying to experiment with nodes following pinkmouse's tutorials.
Messed up the first attempt.
But this is where I am up to.
I used the Gradient node setup to get the base cone shape, and then used an image seq to create the majority of the distortions.
I then used a turbulent noise node driven by the time as per pinks, and applied a noisy modifier to the opacity to create a bit of randomness.

I thought about choosing a music track and driving some distortions with that, but i think it would work to create the main distortions in an an image seq from After effects, maybe using recurring motifs to represent beats etc, and then replace the noisy channel with the audio driven for some additional background distortion?

http://adobe.ly/1PTgNzU

pinkmouse
01-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Looking good. You can use an audio file as an envelope in the normal motion modifier panel to drive a null, then item ID it to drive nodal animation. Bear in mind, you can use the envelope trick I illustrated to crossfade different effects.

I think really though, it's now down to your creative side. I'll show you how the tools work, but you have to builds the house! :D

prometheus
01-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Looking good pinkmouse, thanks for sharing.
By the way, do you have your vids properly tagged with lightwave? or if you have set them as visible publicly ?

If I were to search for lightwave in youtube ..with "lightwave" and then I usually filter by upload date, nothing of your vids is showing, if I search for "Lightwave3d" nothing from you will show either.
Maybe you should check your tags, add both lightwave, lightwave3d etc...and make sure they are available publicly.

pinkmouse
01-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Hmm. They should all be public. I'll check that and the tags tomorrow. Ta.

gerry_g
01-08-2016, 04:41 PM
they are all available and subscribeable to here, hover over pinkmouses' logo under the vid and a little pop up window opens and will take you to the full set

prometheus
01-10-2016, 12:36 AM
they are all available and subscribeable to here, hover over pinkmouses' logo under the vid and a little pop up window opens and will take you to the full set

that was not the issue here, I did a search from scratch on youtube..only to find that his vids do not show up in search results, which is bad for the lw community maybe...I had no problem finding his vid here since it is linked here and no problem entering his other vids from there.

pinkmouse
01-10-2016, 03:32 AM
Right, I've been through and refreshed all the tags, checked settings and suchlike. Could you try again please and see what you get?

Ta!