PDA

View Full Version : If you're like me...

SamuraiSlayer
12-09-2003, 04:56 PM
If you're like me, you used lightwave a few times b4 u bought it, maybe at a friend's, cousin's, roommate's, etc... If you're like me, you opened it up, it looked confusing, you closed it. Then later on, you open it back up, and start messing around on it, maybe... create a ball. You dont kno anything about it, so instead of trying to model something, you go and download a low poly model from some website. You figure out how to crash one thing into another, then, not knowing how to "Save" (RENDER) your animation, you "Save" the preview. Then you figure out how to render, and a little more about LW. So you create the all too common, not Michael Jackson's face, but a SPACE SCENE. And in the space scene, you have a big star, created with a point or spot light, with, the all too common, not Oprah, not Dr. Phil, but something even MORE cheesy, LENS FLARE....

....a few weeks later....

You're looking around on the internet, and find a tutorial on how to model a TEA CUP. You model one, maybe a saucer under it, a little specularity, and you think its just the COOLEST THING. Then, you go and register for the newtek forums, and realize just how behind you are.

And if you're like me, you still haven't created a complete model worth 2 cents.

If you're like me, you may have gotten the sudden desire to model an indoor scene, maybe a living room with a couch and a tv.

If you're like me, the only way you are going to get anywhere with lightwave, is if you take lessons on it.

...If you're like me.

js33
12-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Best thing a newbie can do is to try to intern somewhere.
The greatest motivator to learning something like LW is to have a boss yelling at you, money on the line, deadlines and the "I got to get this to work somehow by tomorrow" up against the wall, job and reputation on the line, kind of pressure. :D

I guarantee you one of two things will happen.

You will find it in yourself to pull off some miracles and get the job done or you will quit the job and never use Lightwave again. :eek:

If you survive and learn than anything will be possible.

Cheers,
JS

TSpyrison
12-09-2003, 06:14 PM
If you are like me you are sitting infront of the computer brousing forums and watching TV...

:D

SamuraiSlayer
12-09-2003, 07:02 PM
TSpyrison: Yea i'm a little bit like you, too

Rich
12-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Hehe. TSpyrison that's exactly what I am doing. Hey noticed your in Raleigh as well. Nice to see someone else that's local to where I live.

Hervé
12-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Where is the point.... I just dont get it.... do you need encouragments.... go SamuraiSlayer ! GO !

No really, we've all been where you are.... but I do get your point.... when I started LW (back in 5.6) there werent' so many CG sites and so many galleries, where you feel so far behind, like you said.... I guess it's even worth for let say... Painters.... when they look at what's been done before they were even born.... they are ..... well a bit "tiredbeforetheystart"....

So wake up....

"The sleeper must awaken...." (-Dune-)

Just to say, but maybe you guess, I am like you... he he...

Hervé

Wade
12-10-2003, 12:53 AM
be like me take a class or two - I did at Harris county community college. Took two night classes after work one modeling one animating both in Lightwave got me up and running.