PDA

View Full Version : Blender skin modifier tutorials, also compatible with lightwave edges, polylines.

prometheus
01-03-2016, 07:34 PM
here we go again, I have this a bit covered in other threads, but I think it could use a more specific thread.

Letīs start with what other blender artists is showcasing in tutorials, I have covered some minor no sound showcasing with the use of polylines from lightwave to export and skin with a mesh in blender, I havenīt showcased how to extend the polylines exported once they are in blender, but that is perfectly doable, you can continue to extend points in blender based on a lightwave polyline structure, to create limbs, branches etc, and you can do that several times from one and the same point origin to create multisplit branches from the same point/joint.

I think it is really awesome, no one has responded on it in my other thread, either it is of no bigger deal..or it doesnīt come through how nice this is.

Ill post with some more replies on this, in order to be able to play the embedded clips directly here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4pSjOd94Lw

prometheus
01-03-2016, 07:35 PM
and another one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezZjV6yfbbE

prometheus
01-03-2016, 07:37 PM
One more..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlxTMX10ung

prometheus
01-03-2016, 07:47 PM
And last...one guy starting with sculpting in blender, then adding limbs with the help of extending points in a polyline shape, and using the skin modifier.

now you can use lightwave polylines in blender to extend just the same, with full visibility on the skinned mesh as well as the underlying polyline structure, with lightwave you can copy edges from any geometry, or use sketch or curves to convert to polylines, itīs super fast to drage a box out with a few divisions in lightwave ..then in symmetry mode pick a pattern of a figure with limbs, copy and paste edges and send to blender as obj format, add the skin modifier and continue to extend the skeleton or, pose adjust it.
The extend tool used in blender has the same shortcut as lightwave, so that is good:)

with lightwave and polylines, you can also deform with modeler deformers before sending to blender for skinning, or use procedural textures to deform in layout, or even use soft body bullet dynamics to deform the polylines before saving out transformed object and then skinning in blender, or use cloth fx and wind deform the branches.
it is also possible to use dp tree to send itīs skeleton tree to be skinned in blender, though it might be best to use dp tree in lightwave for trees ..it does skinning optimized for trees better.

Unfortunatly ..skinning like this isnīt possible today in lightwave..maybe soon with the new development, lets hope for that.
I might record some stuff too..and post later..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_w-St0fiB4

raw-m
01-04-2016, 12:29 AM
Wow, so quick! Amazing for a free piece of software, going to download and give it a go. Hope someone at LW3dg are taking note :D

safetyman
01-04-2016, 05:24 AM
This tool has been around for a couple of years now, so it seems that something like this would have been added to LW already, but I guess it's not high on their list. This tool was originally added so that it could be used to create a base mesh for sculpting, and since LW doesn't have sculpting tools to speak of, I suppose it hasn't been something the LW group has had on their radar.

prometheus
01-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Wow, so quick! Amazing for a free piece of software, going to download and give it a go. Hope someone at LW3dg are taking note :D

just jump in here if you get stuck on starting with it..

It took me a couple of days to overcome the UI and finding stuff, navigating in blender etc..and understand the object VS edit mode...in lightwave modeler you are always in edit mode and can edit faster more fluent, though the modifier stack and edit/object mode offers other advantages.

This tool has been around for a couple of years now, so it seems that something like this would have been added to LW already, but I guess it's not high on their list. This tool was originally added so that it could be used to create a base mesh for sculpting, and since LW doesn't have sculpting tools to speak of, I suppose it hasn't been something the LW group has had on their radar.

dpontīs tree tool is working on a polyline skeleton, a new tool that would be interactive to pick up whatever polyline is on the drawing for posing and extending donīt seem impossible...but maybe it is ?
since there are no skin or thicken tool for polylines, my previous fiddlings was with polylines converted to metaedges...but that was to messy to work efficient with.

hereīs a clip from me showcasing creating polylines and sending to blender, now I could actually create a figure skeleton faster than doing it by the line pen, If I were to pick edges in a figure pattern in symmetry mode, it would be super fast, heck..it should even be possible to use genoma.

the cool thing is that you can choose to pose,extend the polylines in lightwave...or after exporting to blender posing it there, or extend the points from there, the difference is that in blender you can see it working interactivly with the skinned mesh.

A side note...I think former lw model developer, david ikeda has made a similar skeleton/mesh tool inside his new developed app, he showcased that somewhere..probably on facebook, but I canīt find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mIA297z_jw

prometheus
01-04-2016, 06:51 PM
the above vid from me and this vid was also posted in the general tips and tricks section...forgive me for crossposting these, but it is related...just want them all gathered in one place in this thread which might be covering and attract attention it better.

at the end..showcasing in lightwave the selection process of picking the pattern of what could be a spine or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FPg-1HxO8

prometheus
01-04-2016, 07:03 PM
this is how close you could come in lightwave...the ol metaedges stuff:D
I may be one of those few perverted guys giving some extra attention to metaedges:D but I would say merely just for putting the potentional power of something enhanced in focus..if it could be developed like the skin modifier in blender...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFA65euBtEY

probiner
01-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Try to apply Subdivision in Blender first, too. You get a smoothed chain ;)

Yeah... imagine 2pps with subdivision.... http://prntscr.com/9m8qth

And being a modifier it updates like you show with the bend and twist. This is the sort of things it would be interesting to know if the new geometry engine will carry out.

Cheers

prometheus
01-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Try to apply Subdivision in Blender first, too. You get a smoothed chain ;)

Yeah... imagine 2pps with subdivision.... http://prntscr.com/9m8qth

And being a modifier it updates like you show with the bend and twist. This is the sort of things it would be interesting to know if the new geometry engine will carry out.

Cheers

Not quite so directly, you use tools, add, subdivide and you have to set number of cuts, and to get it smooth..use the smoothness value, unless you are using something else?

you could also select individual edges and subdivide.

regearding new geometry engine .. I presume you are refering to the new lightwave UGE, I would suspect such operations will not be possible in the next release, It might be later on..since they are probably doing the foundation changes to allow for things like that, but itīs just speculations...I wouldnīt expect it to show up, I would be gladely surprised if it did though, david ikeda had something going on for his app..which sort of leads me in to the question if he worked out the foundation for such things to work with lightwave, I could be completely wrong about that though.

prometheus
01-04-2016, 09:43 PM
loop cut and slide is cool to use as well, you need to click that first, then hover over an edge to see it add a point split, click and then go to the operator settings and add number of cuts, and smoothness..so with that you can individually increase cuts and set smoothness on a single edge.

jeric_synergy
01-04-2016, 09:57 PM
This tool has been around for a couple of years now, so it seems that something like this would have been added to LW already, but I guess it's not high on their list.
Considering the deafening apathy this subject has birthed on the forum, maybe nobody cares.

prometheus
01-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Considering the deafening apathy this subject has birthed on the forum, maybe nobody cares.

They are too busy discussing modifier stack and corrective morphs for character work nowadays :) not directly a modeling tool, but that is alright for itīs own section/topic.

My guess isnīt that nobody wouldnīt care, but that maybe this are the reasons....

1. many folks use zbrush to acheive similar stuff...and perhaps even the lightwave team hasnīt recognized it as a priority because of that.

2. it could also be that there was to many limitations in the old code..that the lw team decided to work on that as a whole before even starting with this type of tool with the old code..and maybe we are about to see geometry changes to allow for this soon.

3. maybe folks around here havenīt looked in to this tech, or understood the concept on how it may be able to work for us, with polylines and being able to extend, cut them, and edit them..while having a mesh applied and updating while doing so...similar to metaedges that Ivé shown, but more effective and better updating etc.

A simple thicken tool would be a starter though, and the ability to cut and divide edges on two point polys (not possible today I think with native tools) a bonus would of course be if the thicken (skin) tool could be live while editing..and also as modifier to turn on off ..or remove...but I would be a bit happier if we could at least have the thicken and divide tools.

I suspect that no developer would jump in and say something, Even if they were working on it right now...not until it is almost in place at least, that is the safe approach...and especially not if they have recognized it and decided to put it in there, but just on the planning stage right now.

probiner
01-05-2016, 05:17 AM
Not quite so directly, you use tools, add, subdivide and you have to set number of cuts, and to get it smooth..use the smoothness value, unless you are using something else?

you could also select individual edges and subdivide.

regearding new geometry engine .. I presume you are refering to the new lightwave UGE, I would suspect such operations will not be possible in the next release, It might be later on..since they are probably doing the foundation changes to allow for things like that, but itīs just speculations...I wouldnīt expect it to show up, I would be gladely surprised if it did though, david ikeda had something going on for his app..which sort of leads me in to the question if he worked out the foundation for such things to work with lightwave, I could be completely wrong about that though.

Smoothness value?... I'm talking about applying a sudvision modifier to the lines to go from top to bottom: http://snag.gy/dGekz.jpg

prometheus
01-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Smoothness value?... I'm talking about applying a sudvision modifier to the lines to go from top to bottom: http://snag.gy/dGekz.jpg

yes..thatīs what I thought you might have used, I tried it but got no result at all, must have placed it wrong in the stack or something...so I tested the subdiv tools while in edit mode, not the subdivision surface modifier in the modifer list.
however..is that the one you used? or is there another subdivision modifier, that might need to be activated as addon first?
the other non modifier subdividing tools has a smoothness value and also fractal vales.

jeric_synergy
01-05-2016, 10:19 AM
I don't understand why LW is in at the start: can't Blender manipulate 2 pt polys?

probiner
01-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Cause it's a LW forum ;)
I wondered the same as you, but Michael is probably more familiarized with Modeler for modeling tasks than blender, also given he was just looking for a specific operation.

Cheers

prometheus
01-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Cause it's a LW forum ;)
I wondered the same as you, but Michael is probably more familiarized with Modeler for modeling tasks than blender, also given he was just looking for a specific operation.

Cheers

yeah...sort of, I havenīt worked with blender much before..it only took me a few minutes before when I just couldnīt stand the interface..I think I opened it three times some years ago, same routine.
met a youngster who showed me some things a few weeks ago, where we sat down..he with blender and I with lightwave and discussed some things..and I asked about a way to do this kind of stuff.

So honestly I still donīt know how to draw a polyline (that isnīt a curve) in blender...but after following some youtube tutes, I know you can at least just collapse a polygon to have the initial 1 point and then extend etc...but in lightwave I know of the line pen and can get going with that, until I figure out a similar tool in blender.

just a few seconds ago tested duplicate edges in blender to paste and skin..works nicely too, but I am simply more comfortable and thinks its a faster workflow for me doing it in lightwave right now, that might probably change if I use blender more.

then thereīs the line pen, not sure which tool to use for that in blender, grease pencil perhaps, but I had no luck converting that to polylines to work with skinning..they all end up as curves.
There are also some deformers I like to use in lightwave together with polylines..

side notes on blender, it feels rock solid so far, I have worked a bit with it for over a week now from time to time..and it hasnīt crashed Once on me, lightwave crashes daily a few times...mostly when working with different procedural layers and switching modes to alpha.

I also really like the sculpting tools in blender, seems quite capable though it might not rival the high res sculpting of zbrush, but it works very nicely.

Blender curves has built in depth(thickness) option, while in lightwave there is no such thing, you would have to rail extrude, or use px bezier or the other free pipe plugin tools.
you can also choose option to extrude the curves with flatness to create a surface, instead of thickness.

Drawing curves I prefer to do in lightwave though, Havenīt learned the grease pencil enough, and using blender native curves feels odd, since you seem to have to extend them, not draw by adding points by point the way you do with spline draw.

prometheus
01-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I don't understand why LW is in at the start: can't Blender manipulate 2 pt polys?

of course it can manipulate 2pt polys, that is what I am showing...though with lightwave curves, correct question should be(being obnoxius) canīt blender create 2pt polys?
that is a different thing :) neneneh.

50one
01-05-2016, 12:06 PM
^Just start with a cube or anything for that matter, remove all but one point and extend(e) key on default kboard mapping.

prometheus
01-05-2016, 12:10 PM
I know you can at least just collapse a polygon to have the initial 1 point and then extend etc...but in lightwave I know of the line pen and can get going with that, until I figure out a similar tool in blender.

^Just start with a cube or anything for that matter, remove all but one point and extend(e) key on default kboard mapping.

yes..I mentioned that..:) but welcome to the thread...nothing wrong with repeating how to do things, since it may get lost in blabbering...:)

and as mentioned before...you can also just duplicate one edge..

Now you can tell me how to draw polylines with snapping without the above procedure?

JoePoe
01-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Is it not basically the same procedures as LW?

options:
1) copy edges from an existing mesh.
2) make a couple points, or several points, and connect them. Extrude as you go.
3) make a curve (you can even work in a poly like fashion) and then convert to a mesh. (I don't think you can have a curve connected to the middle of another curve. Just get it close and weld a couple points when it's a mesh)

Snapping: click on the Magnet icon in lower tool bar.

prometheus
01-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Is it not basically the same procedures as LW?

options:
1) copy edges from an existing mesh.
2) make a couple points, or several points, and connect them. Extrude as you go.
3) make a curve (you can even work in a poly like fashion) and then convert to a mesh. (I don't think you can have a curve connected to the middle of another curve. Just get it close and weld a couple points when it's a mesh)

Snapping: click on the Magnet icon in lower tool bar.

will try number three later on, but number one..yes copy edges work..but tool to use..as I mentioned before, you have to use duplicate, not just ctrl c and then ctrl v as with most standard apps do, word, photoshop and even lightwave.

using grease pencil to draw...and it got settings to convert to poly curve, but I cannot skin it since the modifier isnīavailable in that mode, so it hasnīt been properly converted to a mesh, and I just canīt find convert to mesh either..
so thatīs where it fails for me, can not find any convert to mesh tool, searched for the tool as well but nada.

Edit...just found it, under object convert to mesh from curve etc.., or use alt c, so now I can create the lines directly with the bezier curves or use the grease pencil, just need to work a bit with snapping settings too.

JoePoe
01-05-2016, 04:10 PM
will try number three later on, but number one..yes copy edges work..but tool to use..as I mentioned before, you have to use duplicate, not just ctrl c and then ctrl v as with most standard apps do, word, photoshop and even lightwave.

Yes, Shift D.

As for your other points...

Drawing curves I prefer to do in lightwave though, Havenīt learned the grease pencil enough, and using blender native curves feels odd, since you seem to have to extend them, not draw by adding points by point the way you do with spline draw.

Grease can be converted to spline, and then converted to mesh: Alt c. (you might have to reduce the point density. Grease is pretty heavy.)

And... to add points as you go, straight up 2pt poly line drawing or on a curve, it's Control LMB.
Unlike LW though, where you can click and drag it around in one motion, in Blender you have to create the new point let go and grab it again to move it.

What also drives me crazy with Blender is the mouse click to let go of something. Always forget :cursin:.

When you're adding the Skin Modifier, do you have any control over the scale? Where is that?

prometheus
01-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Yes, Shift D.

As for your other points...

Grease can be converted to spline, and then converted to mesh: Alt c. (you might have to reduce the point density. Grease is pretty heavy.)

And... to add points as you go, straight up 2pt poly line drawing or on a curve, it's Control LMB.

What drives me crazy with Blender is the mouse click to let go of something. Always forget :cursin:.

When you're adding the Skin Modifier, do you have any control over the scale? Where is that?

regarding the grease pencil...
yes...I tried before but didnīt know how to convert, I just found out a few seconds before your post now :) so yes, now I can convert grease pencil strokes and convert to poly curve, that will not make it skinnable, but converting to a mesh with object/convert mesh from curve ..or use alt c will make it available to skin.

the scaling of the skin, check the very first vid and you will see it..:) the tool is scale manipulator and shortcut is ctrl-a make sure to work in point selection when doing that.
At least this is for individual scaling of joints and extends...for global scale or thickness..no other way than scaling the whole object properly I think.

also fun, e for extend when using this while in edge mode, that will result in a funny frame step extrusion...can be useful for something.

I donīt have to mouse click to let go of something..I think? :) what has been buggering me is centering of objects, and the darn 3d cursor which I do not like, shift c centers the 3d cursor anyway.

Ivé noticed that if you work with lightwave edges or polylines, it might be a good value to use 10 meter absolute size, then the skin tool will yield a decent skin thickness, it all depends on..if it where mm..it would end up as a very tight bulge skin.

for the lw team, it skins its polylines with a mesh, or else it gets the hose again :)

stevecullum
01-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Nice tutorials. This looks like a nice way to get a good starting point for sculpting on. For iPad owners, there is an app called Sculpt + that seems to have some options for creating base meshes. Might check that out, as it seems to share some characteristics of the Blender method. Might be fun sketching out a character on a touch screen :)

prometheus
01-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Nice tutorials. This looks like a nice way to get a good starting point for sculpting on. For iPad owners, there is an app called Sculpt + that seems to have some options for creating base meshes. Might check that out, as it seems to share some characteristics of the Blender method. Might be fun sketching out a character on a touch screen :)

donīt own a pad, count me out :)

Anyway..blender sculpting tools seems pretty dandy to me, it has some nice presets to start with..standard types etc..and if you want you can add additional polys while sculpting..like sculptris, if you activate dyntopo, and together with the snake hook you can draw out limbs or branches, perhaps not that useful for character work since itīs triangulating a lot etc, but for som root branching or other stuff perhaps...to get smooth detailed branches when using snake hook and dyntopo and a relative small brush size, you need to lower detail size ..the lower the more finer polys are added and the branch snake hook extrude will be very smooth...by default I think it is set to 12, a size of 2-5 might be good, but I reckon it depends on initial subdivisions on the geometry as well.

prometheus
01-05-2016, 07:06 PM
One shortcut to be aware of when using sculpting..use the "f" key, for sizing the radius of your brush and drag the mouse to set the size, if you want a smooth fluid and fast workflow ..that is essential rather than move your focus away from the model target and messing with the value sliders in the panel.

Edited...also, use shift key to smooth out, for instance after using clay strips brush, to press/dig in to the sculpt..(negative value), use the ctrl key.

prometheus
01-06-2016, 12:32 PM
quite easy to do DNA strands with the connecting branches as seperate pieces...as I prefer it, I start in lightwave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K40ngYL6dOk

I prefer to do the main structure as polylines in lightwave modeler, just created a box with enough height, 20 divisions, and a twist of 720 degrees, selected edges and copied, delete the main polygons and paste back the edges, select the middle connecting edges and cut and paste so they are unconnected from the spiral strands.
save out to obj, and then add the skin modifier, what is important is to enter edit mode, and check mark root to make it recognize all unconnected polylines, I then just used ctrl-a to scale the thickness, as one can see, the connecting branches are loose and you can freely adjust them as you want.

JoePoe
01-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Kinda fun :)

prometheus
01-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Kinda fun :)

Yes..I know:) it opens up for so many cool structure creations indeed.

and nice to have it fully editable, wether or not you are extending the points, edges, move and pose it, or divide it manually or by using a subdiv surface modifier(yes, I got that working) to smooth the polylines, or to individually scale point connections, or scale edges.

prometheus
01-06-2016, 03:52 PM
a simple y branch ..spinned around, then merged end points, and skinned in blender, also added subdiv modifier to smooth round the skeleton and ultimatly the mesh.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131792&d=1452120570

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131793&d=1452120599

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131794&d=1452120617

probiner
01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Next challange. How to have a VMap to influence the thickness ;) say you would like to bake a density map and have that to drive the thickness. Too much? :P

prometheus
01-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Next challange. How to have a VMap to influence the thickness ;) say you would like to bake a density map and have that to drive the thickness. Too much? :P

yeah..probably too much for me at the moment, havenīt even looked at weight maps at all in blender if thatīs what you mean.

donīt know much about that..but maybe start with add a displacement modifier, add textures and check all the different displacement textures first, mabye thereīs a way to connect it there? and set strength.

another tip, if you have branches, it would require applying the modifiers and get rid of the stack though before sculpting, if you use smooth ..on branches, that may help thin out branches where needed, though you would have to manually brush all the areas, and if it becomes to thin or if you want to thicken another area, just use the inflate brush.

but otherwise so far..using ctrl-a on a point connection, or even better for some parts if you have a root branc for instance, select a couple of edges and edit in edge mode where the thickness starts, and use ctrl a.

just tested with dpontīs verdure tree, and exported, both a stone and branches, I flipped the branches to represent roots, all those in line mode, I then selected points and heat shrinked it around the stone, though I just did a quick test and wasnīt that careful..so some lines were shrinked inside of the stone, well ..with blender you can edit correct those branches...

note..dp tree isnīt doing the polygons here, I just used itīs polylines in order to heatshrink around a stone object properly without distoring the main mesh, so in blender you can just skin it there, and edit as much as you want, I can even continue to pick points at any branch joint and start a new extrude of new branches and see it live with mesh and all.

what I could see would be great to improve on, that would be blenders skinning division segments.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131798&d=1452135688

stevecullum
01-07-2016, 01:27 AM
That's pretty cool. Does Blender not have a heat shrink modifier equivalent? Might be more interactive. Looking at the recent Lightwave blog entries, it gives me optimism for the future, that Layout will also be able to have similar modifiers available at some stage.

safetyman
01-07-2016, 05:03 AM
Blender has a Shrinkwrap modifier that's pretty good and non-destructive. Might be interesting to try it with the Skin modifier in that situation.

prometheus
01-07-2016, 10:55 AM
another tip...

some time ago I was a bit perverted for some time.. fiddling with metaedges and using polylines and copied edges:D and I also tested to run genoma presets and converting to metaedges/balls..which resulted in a quick figure mesh, I would have to freeze, reduce polygons and merge triangles and also fix symmetry with some tools, and it gave me rough mesh that could be used for some simpler stuff, but it wasnīt good enough for a real figure that you would like to animate.....now, you can run strandmaker on a genoma rig, converting it to polylines, merge the points ..export obj, and skin it in blender, this is way better than the metaedge resulting mesh, it may however still not be optimal in terms of poly flow and segments, but it will be easier to reduce polys and adjust polyflow anyway.

GENOMA MOCAP PRESET CONVERTED WITH STRANDMAKER THEN IN BLENDER SKINNED...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131808&d=1452188793

Regarding the new modifiers and geometry in new lightwave 2016 layout etc, I think it will take maybe two versions more before we possibly might see something like that, I believe they just have the foundation in place, but itīs just speculating..canīt say really since I do not have proper insights on it...I think they really should take a good look at this thread and aim for something like this though.

In modeler today we have magic bevel, px_bezier, dp tree. those can edit ajdust based on what seems to be a polyline structure or curve, but once dropped you can not pick it up and continue with it, neither can you start with polylines or edges ...you have to work with it within the tool, but it does update with a skinned mesh while having the tool active..so I am just wondering if it could be possible to pick upp a polyline structure and skin it and continue to edit and extend, metaedges/balls does just that..but on the other hand..the skinning isnīt very nice...but there are tools in there today that makes me think it shouldnīt be impossible with current code in modeler...but I really donīt know for sure.

Michael

prometheus
01-07-2016, 11:01 AM
That's pretty cool. Does Blender not have a heat shrink modifier equivalent? Might be more interactive. Looking at the recent Lightwave blog entries, it gives me optimism for the future, that Layout will also be able to have similar modifiers available at some stage.

Also to remember, you can convert any polyline to skelegons, then to bones in layout, run dynamics with either ik booster to let it dynamicly wrap around objects, or use the new bone bullet dynamics, or use either clothfx, or bullet soft body on the polychain itself to wrap around objects/ground/terrain or other tree objects.
And other cool stuff to deform polychains ..add ripple procedural textures for instance and other noise fractals, save out the polychain as transformed objects then export to obj format and skin in blender for som weird natural vein structures perhaps.

prometheus
01-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Just have to post this guys vids..doing some branch shrubbery completly in blender, though One might get there faster initially with for instance dp tree, this allows for full branch level control in a different way.
I must take a look at the later parts in this vid too..when he uses particle distribution of the branches origin from vertexes.

In this vid he covers starting with a few vertices and using extend to draw the branches..also using the skin modifier, also showcasing ways to adjust the scaling and using proportional editing and much more..no narrations but annotiations.
Gleb Alexandrov...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnGSlz0jIA