PDA

View Full Version : EPS file conversion

litewavejohnnie
01-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Hi Everyone.

I am a newbie in this forum. I just decided to buy Lightwave again after a 17 year break. I used to create with it when i had the video toaster 4000, personal animation recorder, and the biggest hard drive was about a gb.

I'm trying to import a logo to make a model. It says it has to be EPS file. So, I sent the logo into paint shop pro, made it an EPS file and attempted several times to import it to no avail. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong ? It's probably a basic oversight.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Litewavejohnnie

ernpchan
01-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Are you saving it as the Illustrator 8 format?

litewavejohnnie
01-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Hey thanks ernpchan for your quick response.

NO, I no longer have the creative cloud .

Sincerely,

Litewavejohnnie

DrStrik9
01-03-2016, 10:58 AM
I don't have experience with paint shop pro, but if you have access to Adobe Illustrator, you can save the file as a version 8 (or earlier) eps, and Modeler loads this well. I'm sure there are other (non-Adobe) workflows; this is what I use.

If paint shop pro allows saving various versions of eps files, try earlier ones.

litewavejohnnie
01-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Thank you DrStrik9.

I dont have access to illustrator any longer. I'll have to keep searching for a non adobe solution. Thank for your quick response.

Sincerely,

Litewavejohnnie

ernpchan
01-03-2016, 11:12 AM
You could try inkscape.

litewavejohnnie
01-03-2016, 11:30 AM
thanks ernpchan,

just tried it. does not work. cool free program though

sincerely,

Litewavejohnnie

ernpchan
01-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Hm ok. I know there are other free alternatives to illustrator. The key would be finding one that exports the eps format that LightWave supports.

litewavejohnnie
01-03-2016, 11:43 AM
i'll keep trying...and i'll figure it out. Hard to believe that it's that proprietary. I remember doing it back in the 90"S converting files in Art Dept Pro. It was quick and painless.
i'll post my workaround if i can figure it out.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Litewavejohnnie.

shrox
01-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Export to the oldest format you can. That helps.

jeric_synergy
01-03-2016, 12:26 PM
What software DO you have access to? When you say "inkscape didn't work", what was your procedure?

And: it's not sufficient that it be an EPS file, it has to be a vector file (there are bitmapped EPS files).

Try starting with an EXTREMELY simple vector file, a circle or a square, to get the procedure down first.

MonroePoteet
01-03-2016, 01:34 PM
If all you have is a bitmap image of the logo, you'll need to "vectorize" it somehow, then save it as a vector EPS file, as jeric_synergy says. For example, using CorelDRAW, you can use the Tracing functionality to do edge detection and produce vector objects. Exporting as an EPS file afterward can be imported into Modeler. It looks like InkScape can do so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-xxhphybnE

I've usually just hand traced a Logo image by setting up the image as the Backdrop in the Lower Left (default Back) viewport in Modeler, use Draw Spline and right-clicking along the edges. I use ALT-CTRL and ALT-SHIFT to zoom and shift the viewport as I proceed. After doing a rough-draft, I go back and fine-tune using the Multiply=>Add Points or Knife to sharpen corners, or use CTRL-T to move points around to fit the logo edges.

Hand tracing takes a little while, but usually not bad. I've had more luck with this "brute force" approach than wrestling with the automatic edge detection software, which I seem to have to tweak a lot anyway. Probably a lack of experience with that software, though.

mTp

jeric_synergy
01-03-2016, 02:21 PM
As I've said before, I've had more luck with AE than PS, but it sounds like the OP doesn't have those anyway.

I'm kinda allergic to AI, which should by all rights be the best suited for this task.

JoePoe
01-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Try saving as .svg in your vector program.
Import into Blender (which it does beautifully.... colors and all!).
Save as .obj.
In Modeler you will probably have to run shift z or Unigon to merge triangles.

ernpchan
01-03-2016, 02:50 PM
You could try splotchdog's svg importer.
http://www.splotchdog.com/

DrStrik9
01-03-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm kinda allergic to AI, which should by all rights be the best suited for this task.

I've heard others say this ... until they get past all the bloat in AI and see the simple beauty and power that AI is at its core. I've been using AI since v. 0.9b, and frankly, I don't use half of what is there. So I'm sure it could be daunting to sort out all the fluff and get to the good stuff. But it works GREAT with both PS and AE!

prometheus
01-03-2016, 04:51 PM
If you can afford it..Illustrator is great though to create, edit and adjust artwork and send to layout to create extruded geometry.
You can simply just google search images of tribal clip art, could be simple images, copy and paste in illustrator ..do a live trace, expand, then save out to eps 8 format, import to lightwave and extrude out.

also great to create your own shape with built in shape tools, using pathfinder is easy to use and you can create roads very nicely too, or use built in brushes and apply to other frame geometry , then export, voila finished framework to extrude in lightwave.

Michael

jeric_synergy
01-03-2016, 07:08 PM
I've heard others say this ... until they get past all the bloat in AI and see the simple beauty and power that AI is at its core. I've been using AI since v. 0.9b, and frankly, I don't use half of what is there. So I'm sure it could be daunting to sort out all the fluff and get to the good stuff. But it works GREAT with both PS and AE!
Pretty much the case of too much horse for this cowboy. I don't know enough to know what to ignore!

But since you're a long-time user, what do you think of AI's auto-tracing capabilities?

(I swear to dawg the autotracers available in the 1980s were better than the ones available now. --Of course, they cost $10K.)

DrStrik9
01-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Pretty much the case of too much horse for this cowboy. I don't know enough to know what to ignore!

But since you're a long-time user, what do you think of AI's auto-tracing capabilities?

(I swear to dawg the autotracers available in the 1980s were better than the ones available now. --Of course, they cost $10K.)

Yeah, just start with the pen tool, some typography, placing images, and go from there. Work with a no-attribute bounding box matched to the artboard, so you can match placement of static elements perfectly with PS, AE. And keep the reference pdf handy. :+)

The auto-trace is actually very good, but you need to start with a high-res image (1200 dpi+). It's great for converting line art to vector, but not much else, IMO. I mean, convert a color image to vector? WHY? lol -- Still, if an existing piece of line art is relatively simple, I prefer to not auto-trace, but rather use the pen tool.

History: We started working for Tillamook Cheese in 1983, and a few years into it, did all their package design for 13 years: (225+ products), 7 colors, all printed flexo, all done in AI, before it had LAYERS. LOL Necessity is a mother ...

In those days, AI was very simple, compared to the bloated thing it is today. But I think it was version 7 when layers were added. We were in heaven after that. LOL

litewavejohnnie
01-04-2016, 04:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Just to answer a few, I recently cancelled my creative cloud subscription with Adobe. I use the newest paint shop pro. I no longer have Corel draw. I'll try some of these converters you all mention. Of course, I'll make sure they are vectors first. Well, for now it's off to work. Have a great day I'll report back a sap.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

litewave Johnnie

prometheus
01-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Yeah, just start with the pen tool, some typography, placing images, and go from there. Work with a no-attribute bounding box matched to the artboard, so you can match placement of static elements perfectly with PS, AE. And keep the reference pdf handy. :+)

The auto-trace is actually very good, but you need to start with a high-res image (1200 dpi+). It's great for converting line art to vector, but not much else, IMO. I mean, convert a color image to vector? WHY? lol -- Still, if an existing piece of line art is relatively simple, I prefer to not auto-trace, but rather use the pen tool.

History: We started working for Tillamook Cheese in 1983, and a few years into it, did all their package design for 13 years: (225+ products), 7 colors, all printed flexo, all done in AI, before it had LAYERS. LOL Necessity is a mother ...

In those days, AI was very simple, compared to the bloated thing it is today. But I think it was version 7 when layers were added. We were in heaven after that. LOL

Maybe we should refer to auto trace as live trace..that is what it is called in Illustrator cs3 at least, and it doesīnt require a high res image all the time, depends on..you got options to choose preset settings from simple trace, one color logo, black and white color logo, technical drawing, illustration work, fine art ..and much more, then you can manually set what you need, and you can also set it to view the outline (preview of the vector lines) before using expand to create the vector lines.

a low res like this can be converted ...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/45/30/6b/45306b7657b510ab2ecaec3d590006fd.gif

To this...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131758&d=1451957234

and this went through blender to triangulate with the beauty method, lightwave triangulating will not be able to produce nice enough triangulation in order to work for metaform of the object if you want that.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131759&d=1451957410

this I actually process filled the inner part with black in photoshop before going to illustrator and live trace..
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/Celtic-knot-basic-linear.svg/2000px-Celtic-knot-basic-linear.svg.png

turned out like this after extruding...
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131760&d=1451957577

jeric_synergy
01-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Maybe we should refer to auto trace as live trace.
I will never call it that, until it can generate clean geometry from moving 30fps video.

"Live trace" is just stupid.

prometheus
01-04-2016, 08:12 PM
I will never call it that, until it can generate clean geometry from moving 30fps video.

"Live trace" is just stupid.

It doesnīt matter what you want to call it:D
It is named live trace and not auto trace, I suspect live trace because you can see the tracing results "live" while tweaking the settings and see how it match up against any image original.
And it has nothing to do with tracing any video sources, it is supposed to track only still images and itīs outlines, for moving images... then we would be discussing after effects.
So No..I donīt agree with the name live trace being stupid, I think you are refering to something else you want it to be, rather than what it actually is...hope you donīt think I am just stupid:D

funny...if I am not wrong, after effects "live tracing" is in fact called, auto tracing :)

whey you have set your tracing options to trace outlines with tracing, and tweak threshold an min area, you will see tweak changes "live" one could say they are not destructive as "dead" since you can change it before using expand.

Ma3rk
01-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Just to answer a few, I recently cancelled my creative cloud subscription with Adobe.

Good for you. The arrogance of Adobe for going this route still rankles me. The CC versions have added some niceties but nothing that can't be done with a little thought and effort in CS6.

Keep looking around though & see if you can find AI CS6 (if not the full suite) for a decent price. As others have mentioned, I too probably use only 20-30% of it's capabilities but it is a wonderful addition to your arsenal when using it with AE and vector paths in LW. When you do, pick up a copy of AI CS6 Class room in a Book. That will really open you eyes as to it's capabilities. I've worked through the tuts twice and pick up new things each time.

JoePoe
01-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Success!!

For the first time (in my experience anyway) I have been able to bring in an EPS from someplace other than Illustrator!! WooHoo!!

Used Michael's png.
Trace done in Inkscape 131765
EPS cleaned up and exported from Affinity Designer (mac only :cool:) 131766
Bang.... 131767

One step closer to Adobe Free :).

Funny thing though... I've tried before from AD with no luck.
This time I changed one little setting in the EPS export dialog.... "minimize size", and voila! (EPS 3.0 of course)
So experiment with those settings people!!

prometheus
01-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Success!!

For the first time (in my experience anyway) I have been able to bring in an EPS from someplace other than Illustrator!! WooHoo!!

Used Michael's png.
Trace done in Inkscape 131765
Bang.... 131767

This time I changed one little setting in the EPS export dialog.... "minimize size", and voila! (EPS 3.0 of course)

thanks for the heads up..I got inkscape installed on another machine, and I have tried before but had no success, but not sure I tried all eps versions...might test it tomorrow...one funny question...how come you got so jagged lines in image of the the extruded piece, did you rescale the image in photoshop or some image editor? zoom it in in full screen in modeler and print screeen...I reckon you just print screened a small view?

JoePoe
01-05-2016, 06:30 PM
I won't stay in Inkscape one second longer than I have to. I hate that thing. Maybe just me.... some people love it. I just use it for a free tracing solution. Anyway, it's trace result left a bunch of stuff that needed deleting. Very easy in AD.
I've also tried the Inkscape eps to LW before with no success. That's why I had settled for the svg sequences I suggested in post #14.

re jags: yeah, I think I just grabbed a smallish screen grab of open gl in modeler at retina res which automatically shows up double size in browsers. The object is all good... 131768

prometheus
01-05-2016, 06:47 PM
I won't stay in Inkscape one second longer than I have to. I hate that thing. Maybe just me.... some people love it. I just use it for a free tracing solution. Anyway, it's trace result left a bunch of stuff that needed deleting. Very easy in AD.
I've also tried the Inkscape eps to LW before with no success. That's why I had settled for the svg sequences I suggested in post #14.

re jags: yeah, I think I just grabbed a smallish screen grab of open gl in modeler at retina res which automatically shows up double size in browsers. The object is all good... 131768

yeah I figured so, I am curious how these types of celtic knot pattern would come out in 3d printing?

JoePoe
01-05-2016, 07:09 PM
yeah I figured so, I am curious how these types of celtic knot pattern would come out in 3d printing?

Don't see why not.

You'd have to connect up all the floating pieces somehow first. Maybe that would interfere with it's natural allure.

prometheus
01-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Don't see why not.

You'd have to connect up all the floating pieces somehow first. Maybe that would interfere with it's natural allure.

probably, I donīt see how it would be easy or a could work as a decent workflow to connect the floating pieces, you could of course just fill the inside of the outlines of the celtic knots, to make it all black and filled and make a different trace of it so it will be all one piece, but as you said, that would interfere with the natural allure which is the overlapping/crossing/conjuctions of the knots, think that would have to be adjusted and remodeled by hand..perhaps by beveleing or multishifting out those areas to give a sense of depth.
Or one could remodel from scratch in lightwave and make sure the overlapping is modeled as such in depth.

Snosrap
01-05-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm trying to import a logo to make a model. It says it has to be EPS file. So, I sent the logo into paint shop pro, made it an EPS file and attempted several times to import it to no avail. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong ? It's probably a basic oversight. Welcome to the forums litewavejohnnieand congrats on your LW purchase! I'm sure if you post the image one of us would be happy to convert it for you. Again welcome to the forums.

spherical
01-05-2016, 07:49 PM
As JoePoe says, the object would have to be "unflattened", so as to actually weave and not be discreet shapes that appear to by line breaks alone. Would be an interesting project.

prometheus
01-05-2016, 09:14 PM
As JoePoe says, the object would have to be "unflattened", so as to actually weave and not be discreet shapes that appear to by line breaks alone. Would be an interesting project.

yes probably model a section of it and repeat with cloning, maybe similar to knurling, william vaughan had a vid tute on knurling, might be possible to apply that technique here...but we are now talking about something else than using eps file I would say.

ecsegar
01-06-2016, 10:46 PM
If you need a quick, simple trace, try http://www.autotracer.org/, their eps loads into lw.

JoePoe
01-07-2016, 10:22 AM
If you need a quick, simple trace, try http://www.autotracer.org/, their eps loads into lw.

Sweet! Thanks.
Now I can kiss Inkscape goodbye too!!

prometheus
01-07-2016, 10:38 AM

cool, nice, might be handy though I still use illustrator...gives fast conversion and itīs enough to just save out to eps without the need of setting the typical 8 version format.
it lacks the option to preview and see how the tracing result will be though..and also adjust according to parameters, threshold etc as you can do with illustrator...but it seems good enough for a lot of simpler stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on that ecsegar:thumbsup:

ecsegar
01-07-2016, 12:04 PM
I was so happy to find the autotrace site, I was going crazy trying to do it without illustrator ... glad you guys found it useful. :)

litewavejohnnie
01-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, i am impressed with you all. What a great group of people that hang out here. I'm humbled and honored to have found such a helpful group of people. I just had the opportunity to try the www,autotrace.org site for my eps file and it works. Like i said in an earlier post... I recently cancelled my Adobe CC subscription. I was actually, and still am considering reupping it just because. Thank you all for assisting me. It works. You guys rock

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, i am impressed with you all. What a great group of people that hang out here. I'm humbled and honored to have found such a helpful group of people. I just had the opportunity to try the www,autotrace.org site for my eps file and it works. Like i said in an earlier post... I recently cancelled my Adobe CC subscription. I was actually, and still am considering reupping it just because. Thank you all for assisting me. It works. You guys rock

and a special shout out to ecsegar for the recommendation

Snosrap
01-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Thank you all for assisting me. You guys rock Anytime. Again welcome to the LW forums.

raw-m
01-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Bang.... 131767

This is fantastic news! Affinity Designer is a joy to use (although still missing a couple of features to make it outstanding). I've tried the EPS thing with no luck but will try with this setting. Thanks for sharing :D