PDA

View Full Version : Animating surface colors with instancing

Underdog
01-03-2016, 09:54 AM
Dear Lightwave community,

I was able to set up coloring of my instanced objects using a gradient with node editor.

The instanced objects are colored in the way I want them to be.

However, I also need to animate it such that each instanced object cycles through the gradient.

I found it very straight forward setting up the nodes for coloring of instances, but I am lost as to animating it...

Thank you very much!

RebelHill
01-03-2016, 09:58 AM
get a null... reference it with an item info node... take the position, use scaler>add to add it to the scalar value coming from your instance node, plug the result into your gradient input. Animating the X position of the null should now "slide" the gradient across the instances.

Underdog
01-03-2016, 05:50 PM
get a null... reference it with an item info node... take the position, use scaler>add to add it to the scalar value coming from your instance node, plug the result into your gradient input. Animating the X position of the null should now "slide" the gradient across the instances.

RebelHill,

This looks promising: I will try it immediately an report back with results.

Thanks a million! :bowdown:

Underdog
01-03-2016, 05:56 PM
RebelHill,

ĞReference it (null) with an item info nodeğ? I have little experience with nodes, and don't understand this part of your advice. The rest should be straight forward.

ernpchan
01-03-2016, 06:35 PM
RebelHill,

ĞReference it (null) with an item info nodeğ? I have little experience with nodes, and don't understand this part of your advice. The rest should be straight forward.

You can do a search for "Item" in the node window. It should bring up that node. From there you add it to your network and then double click on it to get a pulldown to pick what item in your scene you want that node to use.

tomtm
01-04-2016, 01:03 AM
thanks, very useful tips! Recently I was asking myself how to achieve this.