PDA

View Full Version : The thing about Depression...

meshpig
01-01-2016, 04:22 AM
The thing about Depression is that most of the time you wouldn't know whether or not you are/were, because in modern society we no longer converse abject discourses or states like misery and sorrow per se .

As everyone knows you go through periods of utter STRESS with a gathering of really bad thinking. Blood gets cut-off from your brain because of your @fear and you attack yourself in a downward spiral. The internal conversation though only arrives at the idea of STRESS once it's worked through the neurotic discourse and the inevitable pain.

- Anxiety prevails over a prolonged period and that's what ultimately alters your brain chemistry.

That's what Depression is. Serotonin deficiency (go figure) and i'm just kicking in on the SNRI's (reuptake inhibitors)... Gym too but you nearly don't get help.

Blood-flow to the head...

meshpig
01-01-2016, 05:00 AM
Happens to the best of us, just get help when you can't see who's jacking you up the a*se. Worth it, 2 heads are better than 1.

djwaterman
01-01-2016, 05:16 AM
Well it's definitely some sort of chemical thing, probably best keeping that front of mind, it's not you (well yes, you are your body), it's a condition, and it passes. Is this post answering someone else or is it you who's depressed?

meshpig
01-01-2016, 05:38 AM
Indeed me for the nervous breakdown. Interesting to see how the trauma dialogue converted to the idea of stress as one comes to. OH for anyone not chasing the Liberal dream?

meshpig
01-01-2016, 06:02 AM
Just saying the Serotonin Non-Reuptake inhibitors work for us creative types. I used to live with/mmd Charles Blackman.

01-01-2016, 06:32 AM
GREAT Post.

Let me drop a bit of serotonin your way: that was heroic.

There is a new years mindset in there that is worthy of following.

glebe digital
01-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Been there buddy, got the t-shirt somewhere........biggest help for me was rediscovering my love of the bicycle after 20-years away from it, seems to havce rebuilt my seratonin and dopamine levels......oh, and stacks of bananas.

Keep your chin up big guy.

jeric_synergy
01-01-2016, 11:46 AM
What's "liberal dream" got to do with a medical condition?

roboman
01-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Ya, the bad thing is the brain controls a lot of the brain chemistry. You can go into a spiral where the brain gets depressed, so it cuts back, making you more depressed, causing the brain to cut back more causing you to get more depressed...... it can get to the point where correcting the chemical balance from the outside is the only way to kick start things back to normalcy.

01-01-2016, 02:53 PM
What's "liberal dream" got to do with a medical condition?

Freedom
The pursuit of happiness
Being rich
Actually achieving riches

Most all of these things are the "mark" of success, or failure. In these things, even if you achieve, you don't; you still have things that cause the stress.
Having a bunch of money means you gotta watch it so that no one takes it from you.
Having a beautiful wife (when you are a toad, like me) means you always have to be concerned with her "liberal dreams", too.

I got a longer list if you need.

lol

jeric_synergy
01-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Sounds more like a regular 'dream' than a specifically 'liberal dream'.

Wade
01-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Working in front of a computer rather than with people, not having tactile feedback, rarely completing tasked at the end of the day. :) All things that I know weigh on me.

Artists need - a pat on the back and creative feedback, to feel the pencil on the paper, have paint run and create something new good and unexpected and be able to step back and see the final finished product at the end of a day(s).
And so I enjoy Adventure Racing on the weekends - Mountain bike, trail run and kayak while using a map and compass - races are often 4 to 24 hours long and done as a team of 2 or 3. Paint on occasion and do some wood working. Meds - well hope it does not come to that but it's good to know that they work. Thanks.

Megalodon2.0
01-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Sounds more like a regular 'dream' than a specifically 'liberal dream'.

Definitely.

shrox
01-01-2016, 06:57 PM
The thing about Depression is that most of the time you wouldn't know whether or not you are/were, because in modern society we no longer converse abject discourses or states like misery and sorrow per se .

As everyone knows you go through periods of utter STRESS with a gathering of really bad thinking. Blood gets cut-off from your brain because of your @fear and you attack yourself in a downward spiral. The internal conversation though only arrives at the idea of STRESS once it's worked through the neurotic discourse and the inevitable pain.

- Anxiety prevails over a prolonged period and that's what ultimately alters your brain chemistry.

That's what Depression is. Serotonin deficiency (go figure) and i'm just kicking in on the SNRI's (reuptake inhibitors)... Gym too but you nearly don't get help.

Blood-flow to the head...

You need God in your life.

I'll bet that got your blood flowing...he he.

01-01-2016, 07:24 PM
No argument to it just being a 'dream'. Quite agreed with, actually. All can equally suffer/enjoy the 'dream'.

I learned to swim last year for this purpose. Got a bunch of woodworking tools that I had never used and built furniture. Build multirotors and learned to solder much better and got back into electronics. Just built a 3D printer and will be building a cnc machine.

This year is the 'get out and socialize' year: gonna re-engage with folks outside my daily life. And travel...

OFF
01-01-2016, 08:32 PM
I can agree about the idea that a person is missing in his life God. The only problem is - where to find it? In the church, candles, icons or patterns in your prayers? If the Christian Church or any other religious doctrine in force on the planet for the past thousand years did not lead society towards sustainable development in line with the improvement of life and the eradication of all forms of slavery (slavery through usurious banking activities or on the basis of cultural stereotypes of the meaning of life as well) - or the idea of God is not true, but in everyone's life there are moments when he feels that it goes beyond the ordinary ideas about the nature of things (that science can not explain or deny a fact such cases - science is not just a tool to obtain new knowledge, but also a tool of concealment of new knowledge.) Either something is wrong in religions.
The whole world is atheistic. There are two kinds of it. One is materialistic atheism - when they assert that the world, the whole universe, all forms of matter and all biological species came into being as a result of some accidental and everything develops itself through a chaotic sequence is not related to each other phenomena.
The other is an idealistic atheism - when they say that, yes, there is God, but God is or Jesus (though Iisusne claimed to be God - he was elected to the position of God, the Council of Nicaea the majority of votes), or Jehovah (if you look at the moral side boards on behalf of the version of the true God - we have to recognize that this is not God but the devil), or Allah (this word is translated from the Arabic deliberately in line with the program of "divide (people on national and religious grounds) and conquer - even if that word means something hierarchy of Christianity would have to answer the question why they ignore the Prophet Muhammad, and ordinary people could familiarize themselves with the Koran, rather than rely on rumors and speculation).
But the main thing will tell you - to please God, it is necessary make sign of the cross 100 times or 1000 to make obeisances or hit by the prayer rug 300 times own forehead, etc.
And in everything obey spiritual teachers - pastors of sheep. But does God needs people-sheep? After all, God could itself create any new species of animals.
And in the end - people can talk to God directly? Within the framework of rites and cults historically established religions can not. Otherwise, life on planet Earth for a long time would be completely different.
But if you carefully study the religious teachings can be found there some specific results of revisions, the purpose of which was distorted meaning of the teachings. The most important distributing today is the Bible (Old Testament). Gospels edited in such a way as to make the continuation of the teachings of Christ biblical writings.
The Quran is published in such a way that all the chapters of the book are in order from the largest to the smallest. Try it in this way to read "War and Peace" - that you understand the result?
Those all religions are based on the teachings of different prophets (who carried the same knowledge but in a different vocabulary) were distorted with only one purpose - do not allow people to come to the direct communication with the the Supramundane Reality (God, Universal Mind - whatever you like). As if people had such a methodology - they could not have been manipulated in favor of a small group of "elites".
The vast majority of movies, talk shows, newspapers and magazines materials, scientific research, etc. talk about anything (mostly sex, money and fun), but not the most important thing - what is man and what is its purpose? But the number of television programs, scientific articles, and so on must inspire average man - well, if that was something, something about this at least somebody would have said. Yes, no one can silence all. But if a man will not be able to rise to the necessary knowledge that he will have nothing to say, although it is suspected that something more - he can not even formulate the question.
Accordingly - the phenomenon of depression stems from the fact that people are unable to get closer to the realization of their creative potential, because they do not understand what they are and why they are here.
And to reach this understanding is necessary to develop entry into direct dialogue with the the Supramundane Reality, with God - who speaks to all at any time continuously by the language of life circumstances (which are available for each individual). Anyway, to check it out you will not have to pay money or perform strange rituals. ;)

erikals
01-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Look Forward
Forgive Yourself
Find Solutions

djwaterman
01-02-2016, 01:34 AM
I can agree about the idea that a person is missing in his life God. The only problem is - where to find it? In the church, candles, icons or patterns in your prayers? If the Christian Church or any other religious doctrine in force on the planet for the past thousand years did not lead society towards sustainable development in line with the improvement of life and the eradication of all forms of slavery (slavery through usurious banking activities or on the basis of cultural stereotypes of the meaning of life as well) - or the idea of God is not true, but in everyone's life there are moments when he feels that it goes beyond the ordinary ideas about the nature of things (that science can not explain or deny a fact such cases - science is not just a tool to obtain new knowledge, but also a tool of concealment of new knowledge.) Either something is wrong in religions.
The whole world is atheistic. There are two kinds of it. One is materialistic atheism - when they assert that the world, the whole universe, all forms of matter and all biological species came into being as a result of some accidental and everything develops itself through a chaotic sequence is not related to each other phenomena.
The other is an idealistic atheism - when they say that, yes, there is God, but God is or Jesus (though Iisusne claimed to be God - he was elected to the position of God, the Council of Nicaea the majority of votes), or Jehovah (if you look at the moral side boards on behalf of the version of the true God - we have to recognize that this is not God but the devil), or Allah (this word is translated from the Arabic deliberately in line with the program of "divide (people on national and religious grounds) and conquer - even if that word means something hierarchy of Christianity would have to answer the question why they ignore the Prophet Muhammad, and ordinary people could familiarize themselves with the Koran, rather than rely on rumors and speculation).
But the main thing will tell you - to please God, it is necessary make sign of the cross 100 times or 1000 to make obeisances or hit by the prayer rug 300 times own forehead, etc.
And in everything obey spiritual teachers - pastors of sheep. But does God needs people-sheep? After all, God could itself create any new species of animals.
And in the end - people can talk to God directly? Within the framework of rites and cults historically established religions can not. Otherwise, life on planet Earth for a long time would be completely different.
But if you carefully study the religious teachings can be found there some specific results of revisions, the purpose of which was distorted meaning of the teachings. The most important distributing today is the Bible (Old Testament). Gospels edited in such a way as to make the continuation of the teachings of Christ biblical writings.
The Quran is published in such a way that all the chapters of the book are in order from the largest to the smallest. Try it in this way to read "War and Peace" - that you understand the result?
Those all religions are based on the teachings of different prophets (who carried the same knowledge but in a different vocabulary) were distorted with only one purpose - do not allow people to come to the direct communication with the the Supramundane Reality (God, Universal Mind - whatever you like). As if people had such a methodology - they could not have been manipulated in favor of a small group of "elites".
The vast majority of movies, talk shows, newspapers and magazines materials, scientific research, etc. talk about anything (mostly sex, money and fun), but not the most important thing - what is man and what is its purpose? But the number of television programs, scientific articles, and so on must inspire average man - well, if that was something, something about this at least somebody would have said. Yes, no one can silence all. But if a man will not be able to rise to the necessary knowledge that he will have nothing to say, although it is suspected that something more - he can not even formulate the question.
Accordingly - the phenomenon of depression stems from the fact that people are unable to get closer to the realization of their creative potential, because they do not understand what they are and why they are here.
And to reach this understanding is necessary to develop entry into direct dialogue with the the Supramundane Reality, with God - who speaks to all at any time continuously by the language of life circumstances (which are available for each individual). Anyway, to check it out you will not have to pay money or perform strange rituals. ;)

Shrox was making a joke, he didn't actually mean it.

shrox
01-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Shrox was making a joke, he didn't actually mean it.

Yes, Mesh is an atheist.

erikals
01-02-2016, 03:55 PM
what about agnostic people?
so few of us, makes me mad... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/cursin.gif

jeric_synergy
01-02-2016, 05:49 PM
what about agnostic people?
so few of us, makes me mad... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/cursin.gif
Pray to The Great Maybe, perhaps your prayers will be answered.

prometheus
01-02-2016, 05:59 PM
For me as an atheist..maybe I would qualify as agnostic?.we simply donīt know, though I am utterly convinced, just suck the goodies out of life that makes you happy as much as possible..and be content with yourself and your life..if not, itīs a road to misery.
looking for the meaning of life as there must be something else...more than this?...Tthat would be very very depressive for me and the likes of me I reckon.

sleep well, eat healthy, excercise, make love..be kind have fun..enjoy nature walks, and watch shows that makes you laugh a lot..laughter is extremly important..try monthy python or something like that:)

Always look on the bright side of life...:)

Megalodon2.0
01-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Pray to The Great Maybe, perhaps your prayers will be answered.

About as often as praying to any other deity.

meshpig
01-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Been there buddy, got the t-shirt somewhere........biggest help for me was rediscovering my love of the bicycle after 20-years away from it, seems to havce rebuilt my seratonin and dopamine levels......oh, and stacks of bananas.

Keep your chin up big guy.

Thanks Boss, and all for the empathy and encouragement. Yes years of bad habits, sitting in front of a computer drinking every night, but really you can't pin the decline to any one thing. There's been a really good Gym five minutes walk away for 4 years now and did I once go until I had to?

As for being an Atheist. Well, I got married in a church and sang in an Anglican choir as a kid. I just think over here being religious is considered abnormal whereas in the US it's the other way around. That's about all really :)

- Liberal is a tricky word; I mean Depression makes you aware that nothing is worth anything if you can't enjoy it.

Cheers
Mesh

shrox
01-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks Boss, and all for the empathy and encouragement. Yes years of bad habits, sitting in front of a computer drinking every night, but really you can't pin the decline to any one thing. There's been a really good Gym five minutes walk away for 4 years now and did I once go until I had to?

As for being an Atheist. Well, I got married in a church and sang in an Anglican choir as a kid. I just think over here being religious is considered abnormal whereas in the US it's the other way around. That's about all really :)

- Liberal is a tricky word; I mean Depression makes you aware that nothing is worth anything if you can't enjoy it.

Cheers
Mesh

Just trying help with the sluggish blood.

BokadCastle
01-02-2016, 07:55 PM
You probably should begin by establishing if there is a recognisable cause.
For example, is it an event-triggered depression?...such as the passing of someone close.
Or an organic imbalance due to the aging or some other process...I don't know, not being medical.

This a free service for Australians. Hope it helps, you decide and good luck.
https://mindspot.org.au/who-we-are

meshpig
01-02-2016, 11:35 PM
Just trying help with the sluggish blood.

Damn Treacle :)

Shawn Farrell
01-03-2016, 01:40 AM
Throw in being Bi-Polar on top of Depression and the occasional drug addiction from sleep apnea and you've got my party! - Keep Your Head Up! - Shawn

jeric_synergy
01-03-2016, 09:21 AM
My niece just got one of those sleep apnea machines, and it has CHANGED HER LIFE. Do look into them if you are a sufferer.

She looks alert and rested for the first time in her life.

Spinland
01-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Just a few of my own observations.

On the religious side, I am atheist, but I adhere to the actual Latin meaning of the word. It is impossible to prove a negative, so anyone who asserts with authority there is no such thing as what most people consider a "god" is doing so without any logical reasoning upon which to stand. Yes, I do consider the possibility unlikely in the extreme, and I find many religious tenets rather silly, but I know better than to assert something as fact I cannot back up with solid logic. The term simply means "without a deity" and that is how I see myself. It's not an active belief system, it is merely the default case where no such belief exists in my life.

On depression. I think it's fairly well established how chemical imbalances result in the symptoms that bear that label. I am one of those who suffered from those symptoms to a debilitating degree, but with the proper medication I have not suffered from the symptoms in many years and there have been no side effects. I embody the concept of "better living through chemistry."

On sleep apnea. I, too, suffered from that condition until only last year. I didn't even know I had the problem, my wife was the one who noticed the odd sleeping patterns I had developed. I had become used to chronic fatigue and had simply written it off as part of the long hours and stress of starting my own Studio and trying to make it stay afloat. She convinced me to have a sleep study where they pronounced my condition as acute apnea and got me on one of those CPAP machines. Wow, what a difference. They are dead silent (unless you lose your mask seal at which time there is a bit of a hiss) and I found the full face mask to be quite comfortable.

For whatever it's worth, those are my takes on these topics. Take them with a comradely smile. :-)

prometheus
01-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Just a few of my own observations.

On the religious side, I am atheist, but I adhere to the actual Latin meaning of the word. It is impossible to prove a negative, so anyone who asserts with authority there is no such thing as what most people consider a "god" is doing so without any logical reasoning upon which to stand. Yes, I do consider the possibility unlikely in the extreme, and I find many religious tenets rather silly, but I know better than to assert something as fact I cannot back up with solid logic. The term simply means "without a deity" and that is how I see myself. It's not an active belief system, it is merely the default case where no such belief exists in my life.

On depression. I think it's fairly well established how chemical imbalances result in the symptoms that bear that label. I am one of those who suffered from those symptoms to a debilitating degree, but with the proper medication I have not suffered from the symptoms in many years and there have been no side effects. I embody the concept of "better living through chemistry."

On sleep apnea. I, too, suffered from that condition until only last year. I didn't even know I had the problem, my wife was the one who noticed the odd sleeping patterns I had developed. I had become used to chronic fatigue and had simply written it off as part of the long hours and stress of starting my own Studio and trying to make it stay afloat. She convinced me to have a sleep study where they pronounced my condition as acute apnea and got me on one of those CPAP machines. Wow, what a difference. They are dead silent (unless you lose your mask seal at which time there is a bit of a hiss) and I found the full face mask to be quite comfortable.

For whatever it's worth, those are my takes on these topics. Take them with a comradely smile. :-)

Agree with you on the first sentences..

yes..identifiying the underlying causes ..mapping it is probably a must, maybe help is required to do so...could be hormones, could be the social situation..job, family, missing love etc, could also be releated to sleeping habits etc.

I might need to investigate my sleeping habits, do not think it is apne..but I do perceive it as I do not get enough continuous sleep..

I got firstly..
problems with regular sleeping times..since I am unemployed right now, that is a trap..and I do believe I am the type of person that might have Genes of the type B human, which is suggested to have a longer, later day rythm I think, that means my body temperature takes a while to raise, and then it stays higher at night times when it should be lower to get the body cooler and easier to adjust to sleep at night, in order to fit in with "normal" rythm.

secondly..
especially at evening and night times, I get extremly thirsty..drinking way to much milk,(must stop that..to much milk sugar I reckon, could be endangerd for diabetes) and I end up having the need to go up and take a whiz almost 4 times at night, often only after 2-3 hours, then again after 2-3 hours etc, so my continuous sleep is disrupted.

third...
I have been suffering from allergic problems, might be causing rhinit, my nose is getting swollen at some point during the night, at least in one of the nostrils, I had my nose operated some years ago which helped, my nose had svollen glands which I then operated two times by burning them to shrink them, helped a bit, but I also had this s-shaped brosk nose walls, so they had to cut and straighten that up...previously I often felt very tired, and thick in the head when I awoke, it is way better now..but not completly free of it, I do take some nostril sprays with cortison and some more natural sprays with high salt solution..those helps a bit.

Even though I got problems with disrupt sleeping, I do not have any problems to fall back in to sleep even though it is interupted, and I do not have any big issues of falling asleep once I am tired either, and as long as I get my 9 hours of sleep..I will be very rested and can be up way to many hours, if I get to sleep 5-8 hours, that could work for a few days only, after that I need to compensate with 9-10 hours regulary for a few days...I would suspect
that if I didnīt had my sleep interrupted, I could probably get away with 7-8 hours..instead of the need to have 9-10 hours of sleep.

There is just to many folks out there in our society with too little sleep, if they all would have enough..so many more people would be less stressed and would cope with their life in a much better way...it isnīt easy though to get everything in your life to work in a timely manner unfortunatly.

Spinland
01-03-2016, 03:59 PM
I completely agree that not all sleep disorders equate to apnea; that merely turned out to my case. I consulted with a professional sleep disorder specialist (who, interestingly, came to Upstate NY from Russia and he shared some fascinating stories of his upbringing and life while he was connecting the metric **** ton of electrical leads the study required). I also agree that shorting one's sleep is a serious problem in modern society. I know I am fully guilty of staying up into the wee hours of the morning, grabbing 4-5 hours of sleep, then getting right back to work when I'm on a deadline. It's not healthy and I need to rein in that habit.

For me, before the CPAP machine, I could "sleep" for as long as 10 hours and still awaken feeling fatigued and as though I had only gotten a few hours. Because of the apnea the quality of the sleep I did get was so poor that, indeed, I was only getting the equivalent of those few hours regardless of how long I was actually "sleeping." I forget how many "episodes" the sleep therapist said I had during the night of the test but it was rather high on the scale. Every "episode" interrupted the sleep rhythm and did its damage.

Shawn Farrell
01-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Hey I do have all that crap to deal with but THINGS DO GET BETTER PEOPLE!YES!!! - Shawn ;) :newtek::vticon::lwicon::tcicon: Place SpeedEdit Emoji HERE

NewTek just bought the rights to my first 100 SoundTraxx Soundtracks to distribute for good as they wish AND part of the deal is I get a TriCaster MINI HD! YES!!!

(Pleasae go to www.soundtraxxmusic.com (http://www.soundtraxxmusic.com) and check out the rest of my tunes I thin you'll really like them the lifetime subscription is an astoundingly great value. It's just great music you can use in any way you choose!

My Depression is lifting. Thank You GOD! (...and NewTek...and YOU!)

http://www.trustmedia.tv/TriCasterMiniSoundTraxx2.jpg

jeric_synergy
01-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Sleep disorders: nobody suggested all sleep issues are apnea. If you are having trouble with getting a good night's rest, it's best to get to a sleep clinic (or whatevs) as Spinland did, where you can be properly diagnosed, and not rely on folk tales, the local mythology and hedge witches.

meshpig
01-04-2016, 02:44 AM

Yes and the reuptake inhibitors just let more Serotonin float about between the Synapses. Useful drugs i'd say never mind religion.

adrian
01-04-2016, 03:10 AM
[QUOTE=prometheus;1461289]Agree with you on the first sentences..
secondly..
especially at evening and night times, I get extremly thirsty..drinking way to much milk,(must stop that..to much milk sugar I reckon, could be endangerd for diabetes) and I end up having the need to go up and take a whiz almost 4 times at night, often only after 2

Up until very recently I had this issue too (although I would get up 2-3 times a night). I had been advised to cease all fluid intake (barring a swig of water right before bed if necessary) 2 hours before bedtime as it takes around 2 hours for fluid to pass through our systems. Right fom the off I now only get up once a night and I have noticed a distinct improvement in the quality of my sleep. I should point out that doing this has not made me dehydrated in any way, it's just better fluid management. Give it a go, it might help you out :-)

prometheus
01-04-2016, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=prometheus;1461289]Agree with you on the first sentences..
secondly..
especially at evening and night times, I get extremly thirsty..drinking way to much milk,(must stop that..to much milk sugar I reckon, could be endangerd for diabetes) and I end up having the need to go up and take a whiz almost 4 times at night, often only after 2

Up until very recently I had this issue too (although I would get up 2-3 times a night). I had been advised to cease all fluid intake (barring a swig of water right before bed if necessary) 2 hours before bedtime as it takes around 2 hours for fluid to pass through our systems. Right fom the off I now only get up once a night and I have noticed a distinct improvement in the quality of my sleep. I should point out that doing this has not made me dehydrated in any way, it's just better fluid management. Give it a go, it might help you out :-)

going a bit off topic from the depression talk..but I am sure this sleep discussion might help out many folks with that kind of problem, so thanks..yes, I think you are right on target there, will try and keep in mind and follow that 2 hour rule, got to start somewhere and have diciplin to make it a routine, I could see some issues with it when I do not have regular time to follow when going to bed etc, which will make it hard to decide when to drink water and when to stop it maybe.

The thing is I alway feels that urge and extra thirstyness right before late nights when preparing for bed, I would suspect it may have to do with me not distributing the fluid intake regulary and properly during the day...in fact very little intake, so the body might react in panic with extreme thirst and I would try and compensate for not having water intake during the day...also very dry in my mouth, and that is also a problem when waking during the night...but that could of course be a minor problem if I sleep all night through without waking up for a whiz.

So yes..getting a routine of better fluid management will probably help.

c.1
01-08-2016, 10:34 PM
There seems to be a few really good "Ted" talks on depression (a few of my close friends deal with it)
The best descrition that I have heard is that, people suffering from depression do not feel like a dark veil of of doom and gloom has been pulled down over them, but rather that a veil has been lifted from there veiw and they see the world for the place that it really is.
"Life is good"

prometheus
01-09-2016, 12:20 AM
There seems to be a few really good "Ted" talks on depression (a few of my close friends deal with it)
The best descrition that I have heard is that, people suffering from depression do not feel like a dark veil of of doom and gloom has been pulled down over them, but rather that a veil has been lifted from there veiw and they see the world for the place that it really is.
"Life is good"

Heh..yeah, for many people life is just horrible, and for animals too..and if one is like I am, an atheist...thinking when itīs over itīs over, and I will neither be rewarded nor punished..so, it wonīt matter what I do in life, it doesnīt echo in eternity or affect me in anyway..what so ever.
It can be pretty overwhelming in a depressive way if you are overwhelmingly convinced that no pearly gate is up there.

Shutting down and take refugee to beleiving in something after this, or take refugee from the worlds horror and pain by some ways of distancing yourself from other countries and live safely in your hometown and with family and friends, then all that donīt crawl in to your skin as much I guess.

One does need to have a sense of..this is the life we get, take care of it..do the most to be happy and suck the bone marrow out of it, with that...if you are having some sense of empathy, you do not let your own happiness and desires screw up others life.

From stephen hawking... who by the way had his 74th Birthday yesterday..8th of januari. (bloody marvelous, considering the disease)

Stephen Hawking qoute...
"No one created our universe,and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization; There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that I am extremely grateful.”

erikals
01-09-2016, 12:38 AM
every single one is an important building block for a better future

and by failing, we learn, and by others failing, we learn too

for the ones failing miserably, it's not like they have a choice.
https://www.google.no/#q=free+will+does+not+exist&tbs=qdr:y
combined with the butterfly effect

parallel worlds (multiverse) should also open up new questions, even for some atheists

c.1
01-09-2016, 02:01 AM
Richard Dawkins and Stephen Hawking, both extremely quotable, and intelligent men (maybe just a bit)
I have a good friend who is a preacher and I question his faith endlessly (as I have none) and still we both get along and find that "life is good"
We all only get one go around, enjoy it, question it, have fun with it
, get frustrated with it......it is all part of our human condition.
"Life is good"

SBowie
01-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Stephen Hawking qoute...
"No one created our universe,and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization; There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that I am extremely grateful.”Coming from someone with a reputation for brilliance, this statement is astonishingly contradictory. If 'no-one created the universe', it has no design (by virtually every definition of the word). Otherwise, if the universe does have a 'grand design', it bespeaks a grand designer. Likewise, if he is extremely grateful for the opportunity to 'appreciate this grand design', to whom is he grateful? Make up your mind, Dr. Hawking.

jeric_synergy
01-09-2016, 11:32 AM
I can throw a pile of pickup sticks on the table, and they MAY form a beautiful design, purely by random chance, or more to the point, by the interaction of chance and physical laws. To the fact that this is true and beautiful, I am grateful. One can be grateful to an abstract principle and random good luck.

prometheus
01-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Coming from someone with a reputation for brilliance, this statement is astonishingly contradictory. If 'no-one created the universe', it has no design (by virtually every definition of the word). Otherwise, if the universe does have a 'grand design', it bespeaks a grand designer. Likewise, if he is extremely grateful for the opportunity to 'appreciate this grand design', to whom is he grateful? Make up your mind, Dr. Hawking.

I can understand that one can perceive it that way, and I also reacted to it, but I also believe itīs a matter of defination, personally I believe the universe is designing itself, otherwise we wouldnīt be here, but it is contradictory perhaps...when we think of design, there is someone behind it planning it, or something...but something could perhaps not plan anything..so I think he is
wrestling a bit with our own thoughts of what universe is and how it was built etc.

Smart men can also put words out there not so smart, they can also be wrong at some times, heck..I donīt agree with Stephen Hawkings on aliens most likely to be hostile if we encounter them, neither ..whoīs right, whoīs wrong? now one knows.

I also donīt beleive he is on the right track saying AI is the biggest threat for mankinds survival either...think he put that up as no1 in his list, I would probably pick something else in that list.

But on the theory of what universe is and how it is "designed" I am willing to chime in with him.
Can we speak of something like a design when we talk about nature itself, does nature have a design? does our genes have a design, is it designed by evolution, or just created by evolution and can not be spoken of as a design?
I could definitly think of nature to have a certain design and designed by laws of physic, it enters a realm of semantics when talking about it though..what is the proper definition here?

So stephen is probably wrestling with our common thoughts and concepts of something being designed by man, Vs designed by nature and laws of physics.
Michael

SBowie
01-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Nah, that's not design, just a pattern. And, unlike mere satisfaction or even joy, gratitude implies thankfulness. You can feel like a winner (or loser) in Vegas due to randomness. This may make you glad (or sad), but you're not thankful to it. (Some may thank "Lady Luck", but now you're back to deities and mythology.) Semantics aside, methinks that if one cleaves to randomness, consistency requires one to be variously happy, blasé, annoyed, etc. in turn about the vagaries randomness visits upon you; it doesn't give a hoot about you and your gratitude, and may well dump you like trash in the next moment.

Wait, who threw the pickup sticks on the table? ;)

prometheus
01-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Nah, that's not design, just a pattern. And,unlike mere satisfaction or even joy, gratitude implies thankfulness. You can feel like a winner (or loser) in Vegas due to randomness. This may make you glad (or sad), but you're not thankful to it. (Some may thank to "Lady Luck", but now you're back to deities and mythology.) Semantics aside, methinks that if one cleaves to randomness, consistency requires one to be variously happy, blasé, annoyed, etc. in turn about the vagaries randomness visits upon you; it doesn't give a hoot about you and your gratitude, and may well dump you like trash in the next moment.

Wait, who threw the pickup sticks on the table? ;)

I donīt think it is a pattern ..only, a pattern is something we define as either a visual shape, or a behaviour pattern.
I do not believe in anytthing being random...in my opinion, I believe everything is a a cause and effect, though some results like lottery or las vegas ..is just so complex that we can not calculte and determine all factors causing the result, thus ...we are inclined to say, it just pure luck and at random.

Maybe it is as simple to speak of has been designed, and is designed or has a design, I donīt think Stephen Hawkin said, has been designed, but mentioned it in a way that it has a Design...wether or not if you connect it to some human thinking it up...or see it as created by itself, by physics of law.

Interesting question you raised..but I..after consideration I would say, nature has attributes that has a certain design, not a pattern...it isnīt a visible definition, it is a construct definition..wether it be made by humans or made by physics.

SBowie
01-09-2016, 12:13 PM
So stephen is probably wrestling with our common thoughts and concepts of something being designed by man, Vs designed by nature and laws of physics.
MichaelI'm not arguing for or against 'design' here. I'm just pointing out what are painfully obvious contradictions in that statement. As a profession of belief, it's not very good.

You simply can't properly use the word design in that sentence without contradiction. At least not in English. The definitions of the word below are typical:

to prepare the preliminary sketch or the plans for (a work to be executed), especially to plan the form and structure of
to plan and fashion artistically or skillfully.
to intend for a definite purpose
to form or conceive in the mind; contrive; plan
to assign in thought or intention; purpose

These all have the sense of 'intent'. Neither randomness nor some supposed process has motive nor can they form intent. One can cleave to one notion, or the other, but not both. Appeals to design necessarily imply mind.

SBowie
01-09-2016, 12:18 PM
I donīt think it is a pattern ..only, a pattern is something we define as either a visual shape, or a behaviour pattern.Patterns generally involve repetition (including resonance of themes) in some form. Randomness may occasionally result in a pattern. It can never produce design, because design always implies intent.

prometheus
01-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Patterns generally involve repetition (including resonance of themes) in some form. Randomness may occasionally result in a pattern. It can never produce design, because design always implies intent.

I would say nature is a bit more than repetition on patterns, it is "designed" by evolution and laws of physics..
Randomness..doesnīt exist, itīs our definition of so many complex factors and it by us humans defined as Randomness, so thus I do not agree on it not being able to produce a design,
design in my opinion, isnīt restricted to intent...Design by humans are..design by nature..no.

prometheus
01-09-2016, 12:42 PM
might be interesting...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructal_law

Edit..you can argue intent around evolution, thereīs are reason living organism are looking like they do and is functioning like they do...it is natural selection , evolution and the intent so survive and generate offspring.
not a man made intent.

SBowie
01-09-2016, 01:01 PM
design in my opinion, isnīt restricted to intent...I appreciate your thoughtfulness in the way you reply, but you'll have to argue that with the lexicographers, who pretty much universally disagree.

shrox
01-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Quakers know.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say nature is a bit more than repetition on patterns, it is "designed" by evolution and laws of physics..
Randomness..doesnīt exist, itīs our definition of so many complex factors and it by us humans defined as Randomness, so thus I do not agree on it not being able to produce a design,
design in my opinion, isnīt restricted to intent...Design by humans are..design by nature..no.

If it's not design, it's merely responses to outside influences.

BokadCastle
01-09-2016, 03:45 PM
It's sad that this thread has degenerated from the realm of medical science to a pointless discussion of religious semantics.

jeric_synergy
01-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Quantum fluctuations threw the sticks.

SBowie
01-09-2016, 04:06 PM
It's sad that this thread has degenerated from the realm of medical science to a pointless discussion of religious semantics.Yes, quite depressing, isn't it ... there, back on topic.

prometheus
01-09-2016, 04:12 PM
It's sad that this thread has degenerated from the realm of medical science to a pointless discussion of religious semantics.

donīt agree..wether or not we argue about what is the proper way to define , and classify as design..has little to do with religious semantics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quantum fluctuations threw the sticks.

Probably, as being the designer of lightwave as well, from the beginning that is...something designed the designers who now designs lightwave.

Huh..maybe I should watch matrix again and the episodes on the matrix and fate etc..

BokadCastle
01-09-2016, 04:38 PM
...and classify as design..has little to do with religious semantics.

and even less to do with the topic of this thread.

prometheus
01-09-2016, 05:07 PM

Yes..the value of that statement must be unique to this thread only.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes..the value of that statement must be unique to this thread only.
Stay on topic...discussing what is on topic or not on topick for the thread, is off topic for this thread.:D

BokadCastle
01-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Jeez...must still be saturday night where you people are.
It's late sunday morning here, moods just aren't syncing.

prometheus
01-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Jeez...must still be saturday night where you people are.
It's late sunday morning here, moods just aren't syncing.

Moods syncing? donīt know how that is to be worked out:D

Itīs not late sunday morning here, itīs a very early sunday morning here in sweden..but now we go off topic again:D

shrox
01-09-2016, 08:03 PM

The OP seems to be enjoying the drift. Do you also shoot down interesting conversations in person?

RudySchneider
01-09-2016, 08:47 PM
As the title of the OP states, "the thing about depression" is that it thrives on dwelling on the subject or circumstances that created it.

One can seek professional help to gain an understanding of just what the subject or circumstance is that led to one's depression, and then help one dissect it so as to "deal" with it. And, in my experience, one of the best ways to break the depressive "pattern" is to engage the mind in divergent, stimulating, and sometimes controversial topics.

On the other hand, I must also acknowledge that one's life circumstances can have a powerful impact on one's self-image, well-being, and overall outlook on life.

Now I'm getting depressed. Time to change the subject.

spherical
01-10-2016, 02:20 AM
Don't do that. You'll get a comeuppance.

meshpig
01-10-2016, 03:38 AM
As the title of the OP states, "the thing about depression" is that it thrives on dwelling on the subject or circumstances that created it.

We know it as STRESS or maybe a generalised anxiety condition. You have to have had a GAC for a while for it to be medically recognised as such to get help, Depression is neither here nor there. Me, I was speaking fast and AFU on account of family sh*t. Anyone working in the biz from Fine-Art to menial sh*t is a likely candidate. SRI's are a shed-load better than pot, god or any non-consistent form of psycho-actives. Known so many functional heroin addicts who were probably just looking for an equally functional mood moderator.

- Depression is just where you seize up on account of nothing much. It's a ******* anxiety worm :)

RudySchneider
01-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Well put. You're right that depression differs very much from everyday pressures associated with just living life, and can definitely be attributed to a chemical imbalance, not necessarily something one can "tough out." Depression tends to be a much greater disruptor on maintaining the even keel of one's personal "boat."

I had a bout with depression back in the 2000 timeframe and was ultimately prescribed medication. It made a huge difference in my overall outlook, and helped me to better understand why and what was making me anxious and "switched off" from life. After coming to that realization, I decided to stop the meds --- at which point people told me they noticed I was much more "up" when I was on them. At least now, I recognize factors that may lead my mind back to that dark place, and take personal measures to correct course.

But that's just me. Depression isn't the same for everybody, obviously.

RebelHill
01-10-2016, 11:45 AM
An excellent lecture on the subject... the causes, symptoms, tratments... what's known, what's not, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

BokadCastle
01-10-2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks for posting.

jeric_synergy
01-11-2016, 11:22 AM
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/01/11/everything-existing-in-the-universe-is-the-fruit-of-chance-and-necessity/#more-26664

shrox
01-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Hey Mesh! Are you here?

meshpig
01-12-2016, 12:06 AM
Indeed I am and feeling better. That's a great video too. Unfortunately for me my Mother is the Lion my brain thinks is sinking it's teeth into my neck... abusive type. I'll save the rant for the shrink :)

meshpig
01-12-2016, 01:31 AM
https://youtu.be/iYYRH4apXDo

djwaterman
01-12-2016, 03:28 AM
https://youtu.be/iYYRH4apXDo

Or this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o

meshpig
01-12-2016, 03:43 AM
Lovely almost Beach Boys kinda...

SBowie
01-12-2016, 08:03 AM
This is far and away my favorite when I need something to drag me out of the deepest funks (it helps to play it loud): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpN0s38-6z0
There are a few other versions, but this one may be the best.

VonBon
01-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Well, religion is relevant in this conversation for the simple fact that
countless people turn to religion to help with depression. I also see
what I think Prometheus is saying. For instance, the simulation where
the computer teaches itself to walk and run (can't find the one I want).
Each time a setup fails it learns and tries something else the next time
until it finds a setup that works. Now each time it tries something new
it is essentially "Designing" new functionality in "Response" to stimuli,
AKA evolution which lacks "Intent".

VonBon
01-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Not what I was looking for but still relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBt0imn77Zg

Another one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyVr7gdGEPE

VonBon
01-12-2016, 12:39 PM
And one thing to remember, "Science" is essentially
the study of what has already been designed and created.

SBowie
01-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Well, religion is relevant in this conversation for the simple fact that countless people turn to religion to help with depression.Although I'd be last to contend that it cannot improve matters, it would be an error for anyone to think that being religious (at least in the context of 'Bible-based religion') frees a person entirely from depression. Anyone with rudimentary knowledge of the subject can easily supply quite a few examples of 'faithful' individuals described in scripture who suffered anxiety, depression, even despair at various times in their lives, from causes both external and internal.

For instance, the simulation where the computer teaches itself to walk and run ... One can argue that this mimics natural selection, but it does so by using simulation software running on a computer ... both designed by an engineer. So this doesn't really move the needle at all.

FWIW, I've no issue with randomness, chance, odds and probabilities as agents of adaptation; but I'm under no illusion that they come even close to sufficing as either causalities or engines of macro evolution. Quite a number of celebrated mathematicians (and astronomers) have openly pointed out that, given the estimated period the universe has existed, the odds are very heavily weighted against an accumulation of beneficial chance occurrences as an explanation for life. (This is one reason for the current popularity of the multiverse construct.)

And one thing to remember, "Science" is essentially the study of what has already been designed and created.Sorry, I'm not sure what this is meant to say in the current context.

glebe digital
01-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Quite a number of celebrated mathematicians (and astronomers) have openly pointed out that, given the estimated period the universe has existed, the odds are very heavily weighted against an accumulation of beneficial chance occurrences as an explanation for life. (This is one reason for the current popularity of the multiverse construct.).

"Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”

Terry Pratchett, Mort

;)

SBowie
01-12-2016, 01:12 PM
"...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”"Lies, damn lies, and statistics ..."

VonBon
01-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Yep, you need both or the other has no meaning, such as Happiness vs. Depression.

We as humans function because of "Simulation Software" running on a brain, I mean computer.
I won't go into who the engineer is but we are not as different as we might think, just more evolved.

The last part was for the Atheist, LOL

BokadCastle
01-12-2016, 03:09 PM
So in the case of a compound fracture of the femur, should we turn to religion / grand design or medical science.
Or is it just for depression?

BokadCastle
01-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Bowie, time to get out the ban button.
Start by deleting your own posts as being against the rules of this forum, and ban yourself for a fortnight.

SBowie
01-12-2016, 03:20 PM
So in the case of a compound fracture of the femur, should we turn to religion / grand design or medical science.As it happens, my wife suffered a fractured humerus about a week ago. She also suffers chronic depression, clearly primarily familial in origin (though being married to me for >44 years could be a factor). Although I'm generally the happiest guy you'll ever meet, I'm not entirely unacquainted with it myself, though nothing like what she has endured. I leave it to your imagination how we treat these issues, though I'm not sure why it's of interest.

I'm pretty familiar with the forum policies. Which ones do you think have been breached in this thread? Or is it just when someone has the temerity to disagree with some pet notion/sacred cow that you think there's a breach? ;)

BokadCastle
01-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Perhaps you could watch the Stanford professor's lecture and pay attention to the comparison of depression with any other medical condition, in that case diabetes.

SBowie
01-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Perhaps you could watch the Stanford professor's lecture and pay attention to the comparison of depression with any other medical condition, in that case diabetes.Or, you could just state your point. I've likely done as much research on the topic as most here, as I have friends and family who suffer chronic depression, Sjogren's, Aspberger's, Bipolar, schizophrenia, chronic paranoia, etc., etc., but I confess I have no idea what you're objecting to.

BokadCastle
01-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Or, you could just state your point.

Given your sudden sarkiness, I suggest I've already made my point - and you're a tad put out.

VonBon
01-12-2016, 04:03 PM
I think I know what Bokad is addressing, and if I'm correct,
I too believe that you should go to the doctor. I can't stand
"Bible Thumpers", everything that comes outta their mouths
is "The Lord this, The Lord That and Jesus help me".

I believe in something greater than myself but I refuse to
participate in propaganda AKA "Religion". A lot of religious
people seem to think that God is their personal servant, and
many people use Religion to control and exploit others.

I also refuse to believe that something blew up and things
just some how magically got really, really complicated.
Life is no accident, surely not at the level that we exist at.

SBowie
01-12-2016, 04:31 PM
I suggest I've already made my point ...I admit being 'called out' apparently without cause is a little annoying, but no - you haven't made a point as far as I can see. To date, your posts seem completely lacking specificity or substance.

(Edit: On reflection, I guess the old 'Don't feed the troll' adage applies, so I'll just do the proper thing ... unless you have anything cogent to offer.)

SBowie
01-12-2016, 04:50 PM
I think I know what Bokad is addressing, and if I'm correct,
I too believe that you should go to the doctor.I'm 100% certain I never suggested otherwise, so I doubt your assessment is correct.

pauland
01-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Is there any chance that on a thread that takes some courage to raise, that silly bickering and posturing about religion could just be left out?

I'm not referring to you, Steve and I've no idea what the heck a lot of this stuff is alluding to, nor do I care.

I hope things are good, meshpig.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Well, religion is relevant in this conversation for the simple fact that
countless people turn to religion to help with depression. I also see
what I think Prometheus is saying. For instance, the simulation where
the computer teaches itself to walk and run (can't find the one I want).
Each time a setup fails it learns and tries something else the next time
until it finds a setup that works. Now each time it tries something new
it is essentially "Designing" new functionality in "Response" to stimuli,
AKA evolution which lacks "Intent".

ah..someone seem to be understanding me.Iīll take what I get:D

shouldnīt jump in to the metaphysics discussion perhaps..it might lead to an endless discussion without any clear answers..but yes, I do believe in a self constructing universe..if not, there is some constructor behind it, and that I just canīt swallow, it would led to the question what in earth the constructor did before constructing this universe, and if no one constructed the constructor, the constructor must have been self constructed, which brings us back to the self constructing universe again...blah.:D
as smaller branch with replication always spawns more complex branches, so from the simplest entity I would believe everything is and will be created that could be created, now imagine your screen in front of you being black, now imagine how many images you could create within that frame, it starts with one lightned pixel...and we might be getting an idea on that things will be that simply can be.:yingyang:
evolution, natural selection does so to survive, and organism and other physicly behavior is under the thermodynamics second law...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics
So..yes a self designing(yes I call it design) universe is what I would call my views on the universe..what bearing that has against the common perception amongst scientist, donīt know for sure.

I might take a look at that Matrix episode of the architect again..just for the fun of it.

To SBowie, wish for your wife to recover soon..and hope for the best.

pauland
01-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Seriously, can't we just drop the religion thing? We don't need to turn a thread about depression into people's own thoughts on religion (for or against), or theories about the universe.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Is there any chance that on a thread that takes some courage to raise, that silly bickering and posturing about religion could just be left out?

I'm not referring to you, Steve and I've no idea what the heck a lot of this stuff is alluding to, nor do I care.

I hope things are good, meshpig.

Not a chance..to many folks thinking it has a certain value to discuss, there could of course be a point where threads spin out of hand to much, thatīs ...another story.
Itīs a case of discussing and talking about life, you just canīt restrict contain it all the way...I get your point though, it could be more on focus to the actual depression.

pauland
01-12-2016, 05:41 PM
It doesn't show much respect to the OP to be pushing people's own agenda.

If someone is depressed they don't much care how the universe came about. They just know it's a dark place.

A depressed person doesn't need religion pushed down their throat, or criticism of their faith, depending on how they feel about these things.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 05:43 PM
It doesn't show much respect to the OP to be pushing people's own agenda.

If someone is depressed they don't much care how the universe came about. They just know it's a dark place.

A depressed person doesn't religion pushed down their throat, or criticism of their faith, depending on how they feel about these things.

I understand that, and think you are right to some degree, In fact..will try and avoid more of the metaphysics stuff.

Im curious wether or not the OP has found this thread valuable to make changes or if it had some positive impact?

Edited..some years ago I had a tough time economicly etc, a doctor wanted to medicate me with drugs, narcotic classified, I said no..Ivé read about those dangerous bi effects, I wanted a job and better economy, not doctors putting me on pills, it all sorted out well when I got my job..

VonBon
01-12-2016, 05:48 PM
That wasn't for you Bowie. I was responding to Bokad when he said,

So in the case of a compound fracture of the femur, should we turn to religion / grand design or medical science.
Or is it just for depression?
He was taking a Jab at me but I dodged it, Lol.

And I think he was referring to my previous Jab at Atheist. :devil:

SBowie
01-12-2016, 06:01 PM
It doesn't show much respect to the OP to be pushing people's own agenda. If someone is depressed they don't much care how the universe came about. They just know it's a dark place. A depressed person doesn't need religion pushed down their throat, or criticism of their faith, depending on how they feel about these things.I don't really disagree with any of this, or many of the earlier comments in a similar vein. That said, any thread that runs on for a few weeks is going to stray around the topic a bit, as people raise issues that they see as relevant, and others don't.

Although it's notionally desirable to stay strictly on topic, in practice it's virtually impossible. Check any long thread here or elsewhere. I don't find this either surprising or alarming. A little tolerance as to diversity of views is not a bad thing, and we try to allow for that here. It's actually quite a pleasant surprise to see just how well the community can maintain a civil discourse at times. So - a little OT will seldom result in moderation. What will cause moderation to raise its head is immoderate, and especially insulting remarks - regardless of the point of view of the person making them.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:05 PM
I don't really disagree with any of this, or many of the earlier comments in a similar vein. That said, any thread that runs on for a few weeks is going to stray around the topic a bit, as people raise issues that they see as relevant, and others don't.

Although it's notionally desirable to stay strictly on topic, in practice it's virtually impossible. Check any long thread here or elsewhere. I don't find this either surprising or alarming. A little tolerance as to diversity of views is not a bad thing, and we try to allow for that here. It's actually quite a pleasant surprise to see just how well the community can maintain a civil discourse at times. So - a little OT will seldom result in moderation. What will cause moderation to raise its head is immoderate, and especially insulting remarks - regardless of the point of view of the person making them.

+1

pauland
01-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Well the OP wanted to mention something that affects a lot of people in a very serious way. We can do better than drown out those thoughts.

I think most depressed people sit quietly in the background, un-noticed and drowned out by those around them, and that's kinda happening here.

spherical
01-13-2016, 12:55 AM
Well the OP wanted to mention something that affects a lot of people in a very serious way. We can do better than drown out those thoughts.

I think most depressed people sit quietly in the background, un-noticed and drowned out by those around them, and that's kinda happening here.

Well, perhaps Meshpig can simply weigh in here and dispel all of this speculation.

I have plenty to be depressed about: Forced out of our home, art studio, and rescue shelter for abandoned and abused cats by a dishonest, duplicitous, usurious bank after a 7+ year battle. The banks destroyed our credit and almost destroyed our business. Sharks arrived looking at our house. New ***hole neighbor moved in to the south of us and has been trying to take over land that isn't his for the past two years; verbally assaulting us at every turn because we don't simply roll over and retreat. Physically assaulted my partner while I was recuperating from a concussion suffered between Christmas and New Year's; having fallen face-first into a box of large blown glass planets; shattering a thick-walled Saturn. Blood everywhere. Off to Emergency at 04:00, an hour's drive away; me keeping pressure on the wounds while trying not to pass out. 3 staples in my scalp, 7 sutures in my right middle finger. She dealt with the physical assault on her own, as the treatment for concussion is zero mental stimulus. No work. No TV. No Internet. No excitement of any kind. Have to let the brain muscle relax and heal itself. Anything that makes it work hampers that end goal and could lead to swelling; far more serious. My workstations went unstarted for a record 9 DAYS. Slept a LOT. What else could I do?

That which keeps me from going around the bend is designing our new studio to be built using a barn kit as the base. I can immerse myself in the design; place myself in that new space. Walk around and figure out where everything goes and how the structure will be built to accommodate it all in a most efficient manner. That which makes the moving difficult, and also the design process encompassing, is that we have a LOT of equipment. We're multi-disciplinary. It is going to be an arduous task to watch myself take all that we have built over the previous 10 years apart, pack it and move it to a location that we do not yet even know. We will be down for months. No income. Probable loss of clientele; both current and potential. That is scary. Still, it doesn't seem to be an issue, somehow. Don't know why. I feel that the Universe will support a wholesome endeavor, as long as we diligently put in our part.

The new studio/shelter is, quite naturally for us, being designed in LightWave as a high fidelity full-scale model that can be stripped apart at will to reveal all of the construction, placement of all of the equipment, electrical, plumbing; the whole enchilada. It is a labor of love that keeps me positive. As long as you have something to cling to, something to strive for, you can do wonders; no matter how bad and scary things may get or seem to be. I'll post some renders when the time is right. I think you'll like it.

pauland
01-13-2016, 01:22 AM
Spherical, I wish you and your family a better 2016.

spherical
01-13-2016, 03:23 AM
Thank you. It has to be better. We are going to make sure of it, one way or another. Through all of this, we have created some magnificent things. Flying in the face of tragedy, we have been blessed to rely upon our talents and to make the most of the opportunities that have come our way. In performing these, we soar above the trials and tribulations placed in our path. Not easy, by any means, but if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. We're pretty darn strong by now.

One of the highlights of this past year was creating the inaugural Neil Armstrong Outstanding Achievement Award for the National Aviation Hall of Fame in Dayton, Ohio. It was presented to Jim Lovell, Jr., Commander: Apollo 13. It is a blown and cast glass depiction of Command Module, Odyssey, riding on the triple Ringsail chutes, about to splashdown into the Pacific. We produced it in a month's time, developing new techniques along the way to achieve the vision I had after we had accepted the commission; not knowing at the time what it would look like at all. This is the second major award that we have created for Jim. Both honors, to be sure. It kept our minds focused and off the hate and destruction crashing down around our heads, dealt by despicable people who couldn't care less.

Envisioned and modeled in LightWave, you can see the design renders and sculpture here (http://glasssculpture.org/awards/nationalaviation/).

pauland
01-13-2016, 04:06 AM
Really impressed by that it looks fantastic.

Not everyone can deal with adversity with the spirit that you show. I really wish you success.

I think often they key is to have some control, a path to where you want to be and and understanding of your worth to the people that you share your life with. As you know, that can be hard.

VonBon
01-13-2016, 09:47 AM
Spherical, do you make items from ashes?

I guess a better way to say it is: Will you make
items that include the cremated remains of a person?

spherical
01-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Spherical, do you make items from ashes?

I guess a better way to say it is: Will you make
items that include the cremated remains of a person?

Yes. Because of our rescue effort, our main focus is memorials for friends with fur.
http://bengalmania.org/crystals-kitty-memorials/

In much the same manner as immersing myself in the new studio, we have found that creating these for folks who have lost someone helps us deal with our situation and personal loss by reflecting upon that which is ultimately most important and meaningful. Photos that are sent help us to feel more of what the individuals were like, as well as match their colors.

I have my father's ashes and we have decided to celebrate him by creating his memorial in our new studio. He worked as a glass blower in his early years, but it was in a bottle factory, long before the advent of independent Studio Glass where art is the primary focus.

This is a memorial for a police officer. Strawberry blonde hair, loved dolphins.

c.1
01-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Very cool memorial.(really like the police colours in glass) nicely done!
We have our deceased pets paw prints and fur colour cast in ceramic as a memorial.

prometheus
01-13-2016, 11:41 PM
Yes. Because of our rescue effort, our main focus is memorials for friends with fur.
http://bengalmania.org/crystals-kitty-memorials/

In much the same manner as immersing myself in the new studio, we have found that creating these for folks who have lost someone helps us deal with our situation and personal loss by reflecting upon that which is ultimately most important and meaningful. Photos that are sent help us to feel more of what the individuals were like, as well as match their colors.

I have my father's ashes and we have decided to celebrate him by creating his memorial in our new studio. He worked as a glass blower in his early years, but it was in a bottle factory, long before the advent of independent Studio Glass where art is the primary focus.

This is a memorial for a police officer. Strawberry blonde hair, loved dolphins.

Sad to hear you had some struggles lately spherical, and I hope for better days for you.
You should be proud on carry on some of the legacy in almost the same field as your father I think.
And kudos for the animal rescue work..and being a cat and animal lover as I am.:) a cat would certainly bring joy to my life and help me sleep better..I think(you never now with rascals like that) sadly I am allergic
have to enjoy the moments with my sisters cats when I can, I am not super allergic...and if I take my eyedrops and nose spray, I can cuddle with them a whole day.

Cheers.
Michael

meshpig
01-15-2016, 01:02 AM
Well, perhaps Meshpig can simply weigh in here and dispel all of this speculation.

I have plenty to be depressed about: Forced out of our home, art studio, and rescue shelter for abandoned and abused cats ...

I think the weird thing about "Depression" (and i'm pretty resilient... so animated no matter what) is it's sort of delusional. I have little reason to be depressed, none the less...

meshpig
01-29-2016, 05:50 AM
Mothers. Surely there's a way of discussion without Men's groups and Bitching?

BokadCastle
01-30-2016, 08:43 PM
coolies, hon.

glebe digital
01-31-2016, 01:07 PM
Mothers. Surely there's a way of discussion without Men's groups and Bitching?

psychoanalysis?

Was going to mention Larkin, but gargh it's so passé . . . . ;)

meshpig
02-16-2016, 05:09 AM
Cock and Ball Torure? Credit goes to the angry dudes who came up with the phrase m*therf*cker...

Drugs are bad. POQ, screw the crap rec **** we all did years ago. SNRI's are on the PBS and wow one can be master of "speeds and slownesses". Subtle type artistic stuff.

Soma... piss off some more:)

meshpig
02-16-2016, 05:45 AM
Psychoanalysis has gone the same way as music: basically only affects the LCD. Marching bands and drug addicts Zeig Heil :)

meshpig
02-16-2016, 06:03 AM
That's the contention a'la Wagner and Beyrueth... the fascination of "individuals" when, FSS there isn't one. The Family e.g. what a cruel and ponderous plie of **** that is:)

glebe digital
02-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Well I have a hunch that it might depend on the particular family.....'they' say you can't choose your parents, but what if we do?

AFAIK, when one lets anger dissapite away until all that's left is a wry smile, it smells like progress.

SBowie
02-16-2016, 09:00 AM
So, let me make something off topic but evidently necessary quite clear: the language (including acronyms and any little sleight of alphabet maneuvers) in this thread needs to improve forthwith. This is not anyone's living room, sandlot or back alley. And, just to keep this thread on topic, if someone wants to defend the linguistic value of profanity, kindly do so in another thread.

BokadCastle
02-17-2016, 11:02 PM
wo-wo-wo, coolies the bow-man.

...didn't accept your offer to open another thread, because I thought this thread most appropriate for this subject.
You should probably read this article from NY Mag first, paying attention to the line "a nice illustration of the American hypersensitivity to swearing"
http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/adam-mansbach-2011-6/index1.html

Perhaps you could then consider the inconvenient truth that a large portion of this forum is not American and couldn't (to use cockney rhyming slang) give a tom-tit about American hyper-whatevers.

djwaterman
02-17-2016, 11:34 PM
There's just no need to use swear words in a public forum to make a point, I mean, time and place, this is a global forum, the LW forum, a place for cute little nerds to come and talk tech, it doesn't have to descend to the level of Twitter or YouTube.

BokadCastle
02-17-2016, 11:53 PM
In this thread it has already - an adult was/is in trouble.
cute little nerds???

BokadCastle
02-18-2016, 12:02 AM
descend?..you think that?

- - - Updated - - -

we talk down to the level of "cute little nerds"...um?

BokadCastle
02-18-2016, 12:04 AM
Fool, cute little nerds may easily suffer depression also...and gosh may profane.

BokadCastle
02-18-2016, 12:10 AM
Fool, cute little nerds may easily suffer depression also...and gosh may profane.

and without this forum.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 12:17 AM
AFAIK, when one lets anger dissapite away until all that's left is a wry smile, it smells like progress.

Indeed, thanks. The cunning and insane old narcissitic bint is still out there thuogh... happens over such a long time and these borderline PD types are resilient.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 12:25 AM
There's just no need to use swear words in a public forum to make a point, I mean, time and place, this is a global forum, the LW forum, a place for cute little nerds to come and talk tech, it doesn't have to descend to the level of Twitter or YouTube.

True but no one here is making a welter of it. Bokad has a point; the rather Victorian attitudes in the US don't apply everywhere and Blasphemy is irrelevant in any functional democracy:)

djwaterman
02-18-2016, 12:29 AM
Cute little nerds is mean't as a fluffy affectionate term, you seem easily offended. Everyone gets offended way too easily days.

BokadCastle
02-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Cute little nerds is mean't as a fluffy affectionate term, you seem easily offended. Everyone gets offended way too easily days.

Wrong...
but tell us what is it meant as - are you a teacher?

meshpig
02-18-2016, 12:33 AM
... I've been making good money managing a Corporate Twitter account for the last few months. Made not so much as a typo let alone a cussin'.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 12:51 AM
The micro world of Social Media, and here we are is a new kind of work...??

djwaterman
02-18-2016, 12:57 AM
Wrong...
but tell us what is it meant as - are you a teacher?

Well I wrote it so I get to say what it means, cute is an affectionate term, so is little, so is Nerd when used within context that is not abusive. I really don't think we need to tread on eggshells because Meshpig mentions he's had some trouble with depression, he's obviously dealing with it and being asked to tone down the language is not going to send anyone off the deep end.

BokadCastle
02-18-2016, 01:05 AM
The question was -
Are you a teacher?

meshpig
02-18-2016, 01:11 AM
Well I wrote it so I get to say what it means, cute is an affectionate term, so is little, so is Nerd when used within context that is not abusive. I really don't think we need to tread on eggshells because Meshpig mentions he's had some trouble with depression, he's obviously dealing with it and being asked to tone down the language is not going to send anyone off the deep end.

But so is the C word in the Australian parlance a term of endearment. You old, you silly etc. ... I use it. The language of abuse though is sort of not publically audible, one knows it when they hear it.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 01:48 AM
One of my all time favs is the statement from Sydney's West ; "youse C*** can all get F*****"
because the Yanks revere the Queen like a 'Constitutional Monarchy' wasn't instigated to prevent nascent Dictatorship. Charles II. I mean that says something about those who waffle on about Constitutional Monarchies as if something other than.

Kaptive
02-18-2016, 01:51 AM
Haha, chill out Australia :)

I find cute little nerd to be non-offensive, but I do find it inaccurate. Being 6 foot tall with some occassionally removed stubble, cute and little is not how I'd describe myself.... but hell, I am a nerd. Though, with the skills in here, I'd say that geek is perhaps the better choice. Big hairy geeks.

The swearing thing from Steves point of view is more to do with a companies public facing forum. If someone came along to your company website (so long as your company isn't ...well actually, I can't think of an example) and started effing and blinding on the public notice board, you probably wouldn't leave it there... it lowers the tone. So stop lowering the tone you bunch of hairy geeks! ;)
Otherwise this place will end up like a Tarantino film. .........It starts with the swearing, oh yes!, but next thing you know, one of us is having an ear cut off, followed by nefarious goings on in someones basement and then by the end of it, we'll all be pointing guns at each other. The worst part would be, that one of us is an undercover 3d Max user the whole time. We don't want it to come to that.... as I don't have a gun, and that would be totally unfair.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 02:26 AM
... Ban me, I'm off to *********************************************** et al for several months to get away from my ************************************************** mother:)

erikals
02-18-2016, 02:46 AM
hey, how do i unsubscribe to this thread.... ?

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/confused_002.gif

top right option only gives me "subscribe"... ...agh.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 02:49 AM
A cold shower maybe.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 02:53 AM
hey, how do i unsubscribe to this thread.... ?

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/confused_002.gif

top right option only gives me "subscribe"... ...agh.

I think it's in settings next to "my profile".

meshpig
02-18-2016, 03:10 AM
BTW erikals it's from not to in english grammar. English has meaninglees definite articles to organise nouns and verbs where it's inclusive in most others. Bothering about swearing... depends on where you are on planet earth.

erikals
02-18-2016, 03:41 AM
darnit!

english grammar is so oodelie-doodelie difficult

sorry for harsh language.

------------------

by the way, "shi*" means "darnit" in norwegian... so, i kept saying "shi*" all the time in the US

why is "shi*" a curse word anyway, after all, it only means "poop"... ah,... americans.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 05:54 AM
darnit!

english grammar is so oodelie-doodelie difficult

sorry for harsh language.

------------------

by the way, "shi*" means "darnit" in norwegian... so, i kept saying "shi*" all the time in the US

why is "shi*" a curse word anyway, after all, it only means "poop"... ah,... americans.

Engelska, paradigmatically speaking the word "Pooh" has all sorts of odd and sentimerntsl conotations. e.g. "
Winnie the pooh" but moreover it's the sancto British/Amero BS at heart imho.

meshpig
02-18-2016, 06:19 AM
Most of the so called swear words in English like [MODERATORS NOTE: try me again on this, and enjoy a little quiet time] etc. are all basically sound and of Latin derivation.

People with limited brain capacity worry about offending a non existent entity.

[MODERATORS NOTE: My turn: Some people use profanity in vain attempts to shock, and mask the ploy with claims that they are simply 'enlightened' and 'contemporary'; some others are just rude. Now, we could banter back and forth all day but I couldn't be bothered. Moderation decisions are not subject to discussion. I seldom enforce this, as can be clear by my record; but I've got a lot of work to do, I am well aware of the arguments on both sides, and I don't intend to waste my time debating them. Forced to do so, individuals will be moderated rather than threads - last warning.]

SBowie
02-18-2016, 08:00 AM
...didn't accept your offer to open another thread, because .... I'm rescinding the offer. I've got way too much real work to do to take time for this. While all manner of individuals populate this forum, at the core it is a 'business' forum. Go into your neighborhood bank or any public business environment in any country in the world and start throwing around language considered obscene in that locale ... see what happens.

Perhaps you could then consider the inconvenient truth that a large portion of this forum is not American...Perhaps you could consider the inconvenient truths that neither am I American (nor are many who work for NewTek) nor does an expectation of a modicum of decorum in professional settings have much to do with geography ... maybe maturity.

prometheus
02-18-2016, 06:11 PM
hope no one is depressed no more, read something about Virtual reality in a research ..was something that might help some folks, think the setup was that you in the vr world should help a child that was sad, then your own identity was transfered to that vr child, so you would sort of help yourself....nah, donīt know much about it though.

Lets be mature and profound and use the Pivot Questionnaire, whatīs everyones favourite cursword? how many would say god darnit doodelidoo, and would they be honest? or would they be just socially political correct :)
Men are such "censor" ...when cursing in that show:D

BokadCastle
02-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Go into your neighborhood bank or any public business environment...
Probably a good time and place to discuss the separation of the TRIcaster technical people from the previously known Hardcore group.
After all who of the latter wants to belong to the buttoned-down world of the former.
It becomes a question of free speech versus controlled speech - controlled by an individual from the TRIcaster crowd.

BokadCastle
02-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Also, since the corporate word has been mentioned, let's remember that now there are 2 entities - Newtek and LW3DG.
Goodbye, Bowie.

SBowie
02-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Also, since the corporate word has been mentioned, let's remember that now there are 2 entities - Newtek and LW3DG.Now look up - see it? "NewTek Forums>General Discussion".

This is off topic, so I'm going to let it slide. Do the same and move on ... seriously.

BokadCastle
02-18-2016, 08:24 PM
...um, bit technical Bowie which is the crux of my comment.

erikals
02-19-2016, 12:46 AM
hope no one is depressed no more, read something about Virtual reality in a research ..was something that might help some folks, think the setup was that you in the vr world should help a child that was sad, then your own identity was transferred to that vr child, so you would sort of help yourself....nah, donīt know much about it though.

yes, this is quite interesting, read about it some time back. hopefully it could be of good use.

prometheus
02-19-2016, 01:59 PM
yes, this is quite interesting, read about it some time back. hopefully it could be of good use.

Probably loads of application for VR Treatment, and letting one self participate in environments and situations previously not that possible and realistic, and with the ability to set up controlled environments ..steps and levels to reach certain goals, arachnia fobia is one typical area it may help folks with, and thereīs of course more of different fobia.
And probably a lot of other stuff with psychological treatment.

JoePoe
02-19-2016, 02:57 PM
If you want a real ;) "VR" treatment.... Some very promising results treating depression with psilocybin.

AKA Magic Mushrooms!

New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/opinion/sunday/can-mushrooms-treat-depression.html?_r=0), NPR (http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2012/01/24/145731952/your-brain-on-psilocybin-might-be-less-depressed), Johns Hopkins, etc etc etc.

Not saying one shoe fits all....And certainly not advocating :angel:.

I'm just sayin'...... :hat:

(watch this comment be the one that gets this sucker shut down)

prometheus
02-19-2016, 05:21 PM
Laughter...have to find some good shows..
Nature walk and exercise..
Lotīs of chocolate..
Good sleep..
Lotīs of light..
Friends..

Those are some natural things one may consider ..which seems without any dangerous side effects.

I have been ordinated some heavy pills..classified as narcotics at some points of my life long ago...and not long ago when I got some social issues(economical), when a doctor wanted to prescribe it...didnīt take them, read about them and with such side effects that you may go up at night and do not know what you did etc..so I solved it by resolving the social issues...then problem was gone without any side effects.
Now that may perhaps work for social environmental case scenarios, if one got medical disorder...it might be a different thing.

JoePoe
02-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Laughter...have to find some good shows..

Now you're talkin'!! :thumbsup::)
Oh... I think you're talking about a different kind of show ;)

if one got medical disorder...it might be a different thing.

I think that is exactly what we're talking about.
Something that goes waaaaay beyond general malaise. As debilitating as that can be (I do not take your situation lightly in any way), this is a far far different creature.

Side effects:
Yes!! That's partly why I brought up psilocybin.
Studies show a 75% "success" rate after ONE treatment.... and the positive effects lasted over a year.
I'll say it again... one treatment, one year. Can you imagine that scenario for any medication? Much less major depression??
Side effects? Compared to SSRIs (that have to be taken every day) fuggedaboutit.

Anyway. Again. Not evangelizing. Just thought it was interesting..... and exciting.

:hat:

BokadCastle
02-19-2016, 07:05 PM
, this is a far far different creature.
:hat:
+1
This is completely true - in fact some patients are so debilitated they are unable to commit suicide.
It is not until they are recovering that they have enough energy to attempt it.
I think that very point was covered by the video posted earlier in this thread.

edit: that video is on post #66 by RebelHill - worth seeing more than once.

JoePoe
02-19-2016, 07:11 PM
I love the fact that you took the time to include the hat!! :D
(so much smiling seems inappropriate in this thread.... )

And yes, that video is ..... illuminating.
Sadly, it confirmed a lot of previously held beliefs, including the suicide thing. Well maybe not sadly.... work continues.

meshpig
02-20-2016, 05:01 AM
Well I haven't done that stuff for decades but I know it basically shuts down parts of the brain responsible for the economy of speech... I think there's more than a little myth making there. Venlafaxine is completely unobtrusive.

meshpig
02-20-2016, 08:04 AM
The only thing you could say for the rec pscycolbin was that it was a cheap thrill. Back then too, half an MDMA pill from the Rajneesh was enough. Kids today:) ...

All relative to the status of alcohol consumption globally, on a given strata. Er, enter Donald Trump and the real world goes out the window.

meshpig
02-20-2016, 08:38 AM
So sick of these rat-bag types who think they're here to stay like sone sort of immortal cancer.

AdamMeroy
04-28-2016, 09:01 PM
I think I know part of you feeling.
I used to in a very down and depressed time about 3 months, everything I love and care are no longer interested at all, (I was fried by my boss when I just have been promoted as department manager, I failed my test and I got sick again, my boyfriend don't understand my problems at all and I don't have parents or close friends around )I tried my friends advice, like going out, watching my favorite comedy movie dvd rental video (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/rip-dvd-rentals.html) to cheer up, eating, or cry as much as you want, go to quora find other people in same or familiar situation like my self:https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-hardest-thing-you-went-through-in-life-and-how-did-you-get-past-that, well, I have admit, some of them are quite helpful, but that "cheer and courage" thing in my mind don't last more than 2 days.
In the end, I came out of this myself, I don't know how, maybe it's time or some other reason.

I know maybe this answer might not help, but I do know that feel.

jasonwestmas
04-30-2016, 07:37 AM
I lost my mother and brother the same summer and that took a huge physical toll on me. It was like a very slow cancer that started to make me not care and I had issues with anxiety. These are the things that helped me a great deal over the past 4 years:

-) Get some close friends.

-) Start taking D3, C, B12 vitamins.

-) Cook at home more. Avoid "industrial" oils and fats/salts that restaurants use in their cooking. Good digestion is key to good health.

-) Drink lots of water and meal replacement shakes (the good kind) for extra nutrition and saving time.

-) Exercise 4 hours a week. Exercising outside (playing a game outside or biking, hiking with a friend etc.) plus sunshine and fresh air. Helps me a lot more than a boring indoor gym.

-) Get serious about personal projects and work on them twice a week.

-) Cut back on indoor entertainment! Save that time for personal CG related artwork or other things that matter more.

-) Get a good scheduled routine down so that I can fit everything in that is important to me.

erikals
04-30-2016, 08:12 AM
also help other people.

i remember reading about depressed kids after 9/11 were set to help various people, and it helped the kids to rise.

personally,
medz / reflecting / studying the cause, solutions / and time was what helped me through a rough time.

thank you to all for sharing, information helps a lot in those kind of situations.

jasonwestmas
04-30-2016, 10:23 AM
yes, looking outside your self from another person's perspective (or at least attempting to do that) is always healing for everyone.