PDA

View Full Version : Image Sequence Node, More Options, Specifically Start Time?

raw-m
12-30-2015, 05:00 AM
This has been mentioned in the past but posting incase something new has come along.

Is there a node out there that can access the start time for an image sequence - the current setup is very limiting. I have an image map running the transparency/Clip Map values on an object and it's working really well. Trouble is I would like to duplicate this object quite a few times and offset their start times accordingly.

Even if I wanted to do it manually I couldn't as Start times are greyed if I Clone the sequence. Worse still is that I'm unable to bring in the same sequence twice and change. That leaves me having to duplicate my original image seq x amount of times and change start times, then apply to the correct objects.....

I notice DP Kit Image node has a time input but it just results in an instant crash, on the Mac. Anyone have a work around?

ernpchan
12-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Could try using frameD to make unique playlists that reference the single set of images.

raw-m
12-30-2015, 08:27 AM
FrameD rings a little bell! Having a look through the manual now. Do you have a link to it in action? Can't find anything initially and a bit difficult to get my head around after first read-through!

ernpchan
12-30-2015, 08:39 AM
There's this from a LWUG.
https://youtu.be/Ekoly5xMjZo

raw-m
12-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks ernpchan, just found it on the website - by your good self, too!

ernpchan
12-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks ernpchan, just found it on the website - by your good self, too!
:D

This is the original release post for frameD if you need more clarification. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129693-AD-db-amp-w-release-frameD-for-LightWave-3D

Thomas Leitner
12-31-2015, 01:05 AM
.....Even if I wanted to do it manually I couldn't as Start times are greyed if I Clone the sequence. Worse still is that I'm unable to bring in the same sequence twice and change. That leaves me having to duplicate my original image seq x amount of times and change start times, then apply to the correct objects.....

Hi, if you use "Duplicate" instead of "Instance" for cloning you can change start frame for the clone independently.

ciao
Thomas

raw-m
12-31-2015, 03:43 AM
Thomas, thanks, I was sure I tried Duplicate :foreheads

FrameD looks very useful but don't think it's quite the solution for this. Would be great if there was a node specifically dedicated to looping through image sequences with dynamic start times/offsets etc.

Thomas Leitner
12-31-2015, 05:33 AM
.... Would be great if there was a node specifically dedicated to looping through image sequences with dynamic start times/offsets etc.

Hi,
dpkit has a image node (Image Map) that has a time and a frame input. If you use an animated input it should work for this.
ciao
Thomas

raw-m
12-31-2015, 05:48 AM
Hi,
dpkit has a image node (Image Map) that has a time and a frame input. If you use an animated input it should work for this.
ciao
Thomas

Sadly, Crash City on the Mac. I'm finding duplicating the image seq more than once also results in a crash (update: OK after restart!). Not winning today :( I've decided to render out 6+ single variations and comp in AE. Not great but got to get it done....

raw-m
12-31-2015, 08:46 AM
This was my solution, with the help of TrueArt's Nodes. It worked but blimey, wouldn't recommend it - it's far from interactive and had to hope the image sequence offset tallied with the correct object that was being offset!

jeric_synergy
12-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Sadly, Crash City on the Mac. I'm finding duplicating the image seq more than once also results in a crash (update: OK after restart!).
? So, Image (seq) duplication worked after a reboot?

Regretable that such a low level function isn't solid.

raw-m
12-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Crashes everytime using DP Kits time or frame inputs on his Inage Node. The second one may have been user error - it could have been that I tried duplicating a Clone instead of the original. Shouldn't behave resulted in a crash, though.

jeric_synergy
12-31-2015, 11:21 AM
#aflw - is there a clear way to discriminate between clones and duplicates?

Fer sherrr there should be a simple native node for this, grrrrr :bangwall: .

EDIT: a list of insanely obvious but missing native nodes would be... well, interesting at any rate.

dpont
01-01-2016, 12:51 AM
Just to verify if you have a specific Mac issue
I have this scene with a simple image sequence setup
using the Image Map node from DPKit,
doesn't crash here with the PC version.

Denis.

pinkmouse
01-01-2016, 03:11 AM
Doesn't crash here on 11.6.3 on OSX, but it doesn't render either. All I get is black cubes.

I would post a screenshot, but it's just, well, black!

dpont
01-01-2016, 03:39 AM
Doesn't crash here on 11.6.3 on OSX, but it doesn't render either. All I get is black cubes.

I would post a screenshot, but it's just, well, black!

May be that my scene isn't packaged correctly,
make sure the image sequence is loaded in the image editor,
and properly selected in the Image Map node panel.

Denis.

pinkmouse
01-01-2016, 03:47 AM
Just tried that. If I load one of the images as a still, it works, if I select sequence, it doesn't.

edit: just tried it with a sequence of mine, that doesn't work either.

raw-m
01-01-2016, 03:50 AM
Thanks Denis and Pinkmouse. No crashing here so something in my scene must be a bit wonky. Black screen here using Type ID, but feeding in a scalar works. As Pinkmouse says, using Type ID does work if flicking the seq from seq to an image.

dpont
01-01-2016, 04:08 AM
...does work if flicking the seq from seq to an image.

May be also if keeping the sequence but removing the input
should work for mapping the same frame on clones,
..but that doesn't help to solve the problem.

Also the node is multithreaded, max number of thread is recommended,
but again I don't think this is related to this Mac issue.

Denis.

raw-m
01-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks for input Denis. What does the Type ID do? Can't quite get my head around your description on your website. How is a type a number?

dpont
01-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks for input Denis. What does the Type ID do? Can't quite get my head around your description on your website. How is a type a number?

In Layout, a pure ItemID has a type prefix,
as you see if you edit a scene file;
for a mesh or a null, the type prefix is '1',
so the first object ID is '10000000'
which is too big number for incrementing something,
the TypeID is the ItemID without the prefix,
so the TypeID for the first Item is '0', second is '1' etc..

..Note that the first Camera or Light have the same TypeID
than the first Object.

Denis.

raw-m
01-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Ah, I see :D Once an item in is added to Layout it's given an Object ID that can't be changed, regardless if you change sequence order? That's very good to know, thanks! LW is not in front of me right now but seem to remember you can view an objects Object ID in the Dope Sheet. Doing this could make targeting specific items a lot easier.

jeric_synergy
01-01-2016, 09:35 AM
the TypeID is the ItemID without the prefix,
so the TypeID for the first Item is '0', second is '1' etc..

Denis.
Nomenclature-wise, that seems backwards: I would expect TypeID to be a TYPE (mesh, light, camera, {future-entity}) while ItemID would either be the item number in the Scene or the item number of that particular type in the scene.

Gonna make it hard to remember.

dpont
01-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Nomenclature-wise, that seems backwards: I would expect TypeID to be a TYPE (mesh, light, camera, {future-entity}) while ItemID would either be the item number in the Scene or the item number of that particular type in the scene.

Gonna make it hard to remember.

ItemID = ID per Item
TypeID = ID per Type

ItemID term was there, long time ago,
..before the need of a TypeID in a nodal setup.

Denis.