PDA

View Full Version : Spacebar toggle for Mode type

Ma3rk
12-30-2015, 01:07 AM
I know this is really niggly, but in every version of Modeler up until 2015, hitting the spacebar would cycle from Points to Polys to Edges which in the side menu was a top to bottom progression. Now in 2015, it goes from Bottom to Top.

Is there any way to change this? And why would they change that?

Kaptive
12-30-2015, 04:45 AM
Go to Edit> Menu Layout >

In the right hand side list, under "Top Menu Group", expand "Windows"...

Down the bottom you'll see them all. Just drag them into the order that you prefer.

To be honest, I find it easier to get used to the change in shape of the cursor for each mode.
I kind of feel the buttons take up valuable space in the menu... they used to be along the bottom... but i suppose I can change that too :)
Anyway, I digress. Hope that helps!

Kaptive
12-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Oh hang on, did you mean the cycle direction when you press space bar? As in:-

Old LW when you press space bar it goes...
points edges polys

New LW
polys edges points.

?

If so... no idea.

12-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Not here.
Here, it goes as the old does: points, edges, polys, repeat.

Depending on how far back you go, the edges weren't relevant.

I'm using 2015.3.

prometheus
12-30-2015, 12:22 PM
I see no change in my 2105.3
it goes from point to edge to polygon..so what gives?
it has been like that in my previous settings in 11.6.2 too

Ma3rk
12-30-2015, 06:15 PM
I see no change in my 2105.3
it goes from point to edge to polygon..so what gives?
it has been like that in my previous settings in 11.6.2 too

Yup, your right. I've still got 11.62 and it's the Points to Edges to Poly's here as well. I KNOW it used to be Points to Polys then Edges way back when cuz it made no sense to go from Points to Edges.

I've tried re-arranging the order in the menu and makes no difference. Harrumph!

No wonder I was having problems as I rarely check the mode as I've had it hard-wired in the wet ware to hit the space bar once to switch from points to polys then twice to get back to points.

Hopefully someone figure out how/where to customize that.

tburbage
12-30-2015, 10:29 PM
A couple of months ago, I logged a suggestion that the default mode always go to Polygons, and that as an option I would like to take Points out of the cycle (i.e. toggle between faces and edges only, and explicitly Ctrl+G to points when needed). I try to stay focused on faces as much as possible.

Ma3rk
12-30-2015, 11:28 PM
Seems like it should be a configurable option no matter how you prefer to work.

jeric_synergy
12-31-2015, 11:12 AM
I poked around in the configs looking for such a setting, didn't find it. TMK it's always been Points>Edges>Polys. Except when it was Points>Polys>Vol1>Vol2.

erikals
12-31-2015, 02:15 PM
no direct solution, but scripting Toggle using AHK maybe?

https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/149413-script-with-3-key-combo-toggle
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/112292-need-help-toggling-variable-between-3-states-on-a-single-hotkey
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17506736/can-autohotkey-toggle-keymapping

Ma3rk
01-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Sure enough, it HAS always been that cycle order. Just check on my old system that still has 9.6 on it. Makes me wonder now where/when I got it in mind that it went from points to polys. Maybe it IS time to schedule that CAT scan.

Also, Modeler always starts up in points mode. And as mentioned there's no way to customize. I appreciate your suggestion of scripting erikals, but I'm sure it would be much quicker for me to simply retrain my workflow. I was away from LW for some months as my main system was down; video card that was slowly dying and took some time to track the real problem.

jeric_synergy
01-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Sure enough, it HAS always been that cycle order. Just check on my old system that still has 9.6 on it. Makes me wonder now where/when I got it in mind that it went from points to polys. Maybe it IS time to schedule that CAT scan.
Nahhhh, just blame it on the "Many Worlds" hypothesis. --That's what I do.