PDA

View Full Version : Assigning Glow to Non_Geometrical elements inside LW

Farhad_azer
12-29-2015, 05:12 AM
Hi everybody,

Lightwave 11.X

Can I assign glow to Hyper voxels or even volumetric lights without going to post processing softs?

Adding glow to vol.light might seems to be a silly question but I would like to know this also.

p.s: I am aware that we assign glow through surfaces.

prometheus
12-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Hi everybody,

Lightwave 11.X

Can I assign glow to Hyper voxels or even volumetric lights without going to post processing softs?

Adding glow to vol.light might seems to be a silly question but I would like to know this also.

p.s: I am aware that we assign glow through surfaces.

glow on volumetric lights? why..they glow by themself if done right.

no glow on volumetric or sprite or surface...if you have particles, you can instead use partigons ..with that you can make particles glow, you either have to start with a partigon emitter insead of hv emitter, or if you made a hv emitter, there is a command called particle2partigon which converts particles to partigons...you can also use that if you want to save out particles as points at any simulated frame..if you save them as transformed object...it will let you render the particles as 1point polyīs with the option to add glow in lw processing.

you could add corona instead of glow though, in the image processing tab, render out particles seperatly, so if you got hv surface..that would work with a sort of corona glow.
it works on sprite too..probably volume too, you have to adjust size and strenght though to be larger then particle size, but it will become quite slow.

prometheus
12-29-2015, 02:17 PM
just tested volumetric lights in sprite mode and with a texture only, corona works on that too...you would need to set a larger corona size than the volumetric light radius, also decrease the threshold default 90 to something like 80.

but then the corona will probably kill out the volumetric effect for no god reason.

Farhad_azer
12-30-2015, 01:59 AM
Big thanks Michael for this, I got answer for my glowing particles,

There is only one question left, Corona (and other image filters) seem to act on whole image rather than particular object, what if I am in rush ,for example, and cant go to post-process software and want to assign glow or blur etc to only one element or two, how can I do it?

Farhad_azer
12-30-2015, 02:02 AM
please don't say it is not possible, pleaseeee.

prometheus
12-30-2015, 05:38 AM
two objects..possible perhaps with the thresholdmask or input channel and and special buffers..
on particles..more difficult, depends on size particle position and threshold....you would have to tinker with that, or just install free software that does glow.

one thing though..there is absolutly no reason to not use the free fusion software..I think it has excellent post glow.
if you are in such hurry..you shouldnīt even have time to ask it..so donīt be lazy about it :) add fusion to your arsenal and plan ahead on what to do...perhaps boost up fusion and have it in the background

Free fusion7...
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

Farhad_azer
12-30-2015, 06:55 AM
No, I am just experimenting. I am not in hurry or sth, I also am a die hard fan of Fusion and use it like addicted person.

There are situations that post processing makes things a little hard and out of control.

Do you have any good resource with details about corona and alike?

prometheus
12-30-2015, 12:13 PM
No, I am just experimenting. I am not in hurry or sth, I also am a die hard fan of Fusion and use it like addicted person.

There are situations that post processing makes things a little hard and out of control.

Do you have any good resource with details about corona and alike?

nope...Ivé just picked up what was there in corona and testing myself.

gerardstrada
12-30-2015, 07:07 PM
You could try also with DP Bloom in DP Node Image Filter:

http://s2.postimg.org/yanav3gzd/hero1.jpg

Since one have all buffers there, it's possible to mask all geometrical elements and subtract them from final color. What it's left is all non-geometrical elements.

An inverted geometrical elements mask (from DP Mask Objects) could be also plugged in DP Bloom's Mask input. DP Bloom has also a special parameter to deal with high intensity values, so threshold is more controllable.

http://s18.postimg.org/fqqpxa26h/acpc.gif

Gerardo

prometheus
01-01-2016, 03:02 PM
You could try also with DP Bloom in DP Node Image Filter:

http://s2.postimg.org/yanav3gzd/hero1.jpg

Since one have all buffers there, it's possible to mask all geometrical elements and subtract them from final color. What it's left is all non-geometrical elements.

An inverted geometrical elements mask (from DP Mask Objects) could be also plugged in DP Bloom's Mask input. DP Bloom has also a special parameter to deal with high intensity values, so threshold is more controllable.

http://s18.postimg.org/fqqpxa26h/acpc.gif

Gerardo

yeah..forgot about dp bloom.
nice samples..love the mood int that lady window images, very nice subtle effects as well as volumetric lights etc.

gerardstrada
01-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks Michael!

The excellent model and base textures are courtesy by Clint Rodrigues. Exported from Maya to LightWave as OBJ. Can find the original Maya scene here (forumleaders.s3.amazonaws.com/challenges/lighting/36-ALightBeforeDeath.rar) in case you want to play with it.

Happy New Year!

Gerardo

jeric_synergy
01-02-2016, 06:13 PM
In that GIF (good presentation) is the SMOKE layer a post effect or a separate buffer?

gerardstrada
01-03-2016, 02:32 PM
It was a real smoke photo added in screen mode. It's not apparent in the gif but just in case, the smoke layer, vignetting and bloom effect were added in linear space before output gamma and color transformations.

Gerardo

prometheus
01-03-2016, 04:40 PM
It was a real smoke photo added in screen mode. It's not apparent in the gif but just in case, the smoke layer, vignetting and bloom effect were added in linear space before output gamma and color transformations.

Gerardo

Itīs all smoke and mirrors:D

gerardstrada
01-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Itīs all smoke and mirrors:D
as usually is http://forums.newtek.com/images/icons/icon7.png

Gerardo