PDA

View Full Version : Rigging tutorial that's NOT a video?

Noval
12-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Are there any tutorials on character rigging that isn't a video or part of a paid subscription? Most videos seems like it's blasting through instructions. It would be nice if I could find one where I can read the steps.

RebelHill
12-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Nope... there's some old books going back a ways, but many of the methods are redundant and many newer options not present. Besides, since the purpose of rigging is to get control of things in motion, certain concepts can't be explained with any great ease unless there's a moving illustration (aka video) to make reference to.

jeric_synergy
12-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Probably your best bet, although most likely dated a bit as RH points out, is Jonny Gordon's two volume book on "Lightwave Character Creation". Surely enough there to occupy you for several weeks/months, and to bring you up to where you can benefit from videos.

Covers bipeds and quadrupeds.

RebelHill
12-29-2015, 11:34 AM
It was certainly a good book, but its no more so... A good deal of the stuff isnt simply dated, its outdated, and various tools and setups in LW no longer work the way as detailed in the book.

12-29-2015, 01:24 PM
That book is quite out of date!

The school has a bunch of 'em that can't be followed with the newer LW. You have to know how to 'interpret' the book for it to be purposeful.
Read that as: you have to know how to use LW rather well already.

jeric_synergy
12-29-2015, 05:33 PM
It was certainly a good book, but its no more so... A good deal of the stuff isnt simply dated, its outdated, and various tools and setups in LW no longer work the way as detailed in the book.
Indeed? :( What's the bits, if you recall, that work differently now?

RebelHill
12-30-2015, 09:03 AM
I cant remember all the specifics of the setups the book showed... but its been mostly obsolete for about 8 years now, along with anything else created before 9.6. This same dicussion has come up many times on these forums over the years, you can probably find more detail if you do some digging.

hrgiger
12-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Oh are they still making books?

Kevbarnes
12-31-2015, 06:07 AM
Most videos seems like it's blasting through instructions.

You can always slow down utube videos in the browser - under 'Settings'.

also, if you download videos then watch them in QT, you can step through them frame/frame with arrow keys.

jeric_synergy
12-31-2015, 09:21 AM
You can always slow down utube videos in the browser - under 'Settings'.
also, if you download videos then watch them in QT, you can step through them frame/frame with arrow keys.
Not to mention speeding up those with too languid a pace.

Downloading: doesn't YT make it as difficult as feasible to prevent DL'ing content?

BTW: VLC video player allows speed increments in (at least) 10% steps, which is nicer than the 25% steps on YT. Especially good for the SECOND time you watch an instructional DVD.

Kevbarnes
12-31-2015, 01:34 PM
Downloading: doesn't YT make it as difficult as feasible to prevent DL'ing content?

try

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

works for me

shenhua
01-01-2016, 03:45 AM
I personally recommend EagleGet - from my exp is has the highest success rate in downloading most of the video content from websites.

http://www.eagleget.com/

Although I haven't tried AVC yet, I did try many other solutions and when they failed - EG worked. I assume the main difference would be that EG downloads the actual source file video - while AVC has additional functionality in letting you convert those to some other formats - as the name suggests. So depending of what you need - just a good downloader, or also a convert tool.
The main feature of EagleGet as I see it is that you can control your downloading well and have 3 main ways to download a video (depending of how well you want to integrate EG with your Windows):
1 - you can use a browser plugin that will help you intercept videos.
2 - you can type in the page address into the download applet inside the software without the need to open a browser (doesn't always work - but works well with YouTube, and ofc you can choose which type of the file you want downloaded - including those separated into audio or video only).
3 - the best part is the "video sniffer" which lets you know if any video content has been put into the cache of the browser you're "monitoring" with EG - which helps you bypass some most common ways of blocking the video download.

EagleGet is also a multipurpose downloader (but not bloated) - meaning that it's useful if you want to download things with the ability to resume as well. Since Firefox has a lousy resume of downloads (compared to say Opera), so when I download Abadonware games - I use EagleGet.

Additional features include that you can set how many mirrored connections the software should use - in case you have a website that detects more than 1 connection from your IP and would otherwise block it.
There's also a way to pretend you're using a different browser agent when downloading - again, to try to fool the website that you're actually connecting from say, Chrome when you're on Firefox.
Has also a "batch download" feature.
And I like that it's rather lightweight.

EagleGet has only 2 drawbacks I want to point out:
1 - it doesn't work that great with IE... it used to but newer versions may have a "hit or miss" performance with it. I usually use it with Firefox instead. Should work for most non-IE browsers just fine. Meanwhile I usually turn off the IE support not to break stuff.
2 - it adds one small process during boot, and depending if you choose to use those - a plugin to the browser if you want to use EG that way. All pretty lightweight but I think it's worth pointing out.

PS. There's also a portable version of EagleGet it seems - I haven't tried that one yet, but it might be a good solution for those who don't have admin privs on their machine - or don't want to have any processes/plugins installed and still have downloading functionality.

spieluhr_x
01-19-2016, 07:44 PM
If you want to download youtube videos, I highly recommend KeepVid (http://keepvid.com/) You just have to paste the original url youtube video, and then download the video at the desired resolution. No need to install any software (except maybe the java runtime environment, but not sure) as it's all web based.

Video format is mp4 so you can easily open with any video player. I use Apple's Quicktime since it allows me to go frame by frame with the keyboard arrows forth and back.

I use this to train myself in piano lessons :boogiedow

Also, there's a tutorial from Newtek, showing the basics of Genoma, rigging a mechanical arm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkrrd5QjvXM