PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave skeleton/polyline thicken/skinning in blender...mini tut (no sound)

prometheus
12-28-2015, 01:50 PM
a mini showcase of the workflow..no sound.

Ivé been covering this a bit in another thread where I asked about any plugin or tool in lightwave to handle this..but nada for lightwave..so
we go with blender to complete it...

I create the polylines in lightwave first..could use line pen, or sketch tool or spline draw etc..or copy and paste edges from geomtry if you want..just make sure to merge point connections.
if you use sketch or draw splines you have to convert that with strandmaker to polychains, with line pen or copy and paste edges, you do not need that.

polylines imports nicely to blender and once you run the skin modifier you get a skinned mesh around that polyline (skeleton)
you can further use subdiv modifier to smooth things and add more divisions...apply the modifier and continue to sculpt in blender..or just send back to modeler and use the previous base polylines to convert to skelegons and it is rigged accordingly to the mesh without need of posing.

I have similar experiments with lightwave and polylines and metaedges, that is not as clean and effective as this is though..
So all we need now is for lightwave modeler developers to create a skin tool that works on lightwave polylines/edges/polychains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mIA297z_jw

Hope you find it useful...
Michael

prometheus
12-28-2015, 01:53 PM
And here is another one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyy6smLYa4Y

prometheus
01-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Hereīs another sample of using lightwave exported edges/polylines...to use as skeleton for a skinned mesh in blender, you can choose to order the modifiers so it either effects only the skeleton/polylines ..and the mesh deforms along that polyline deformation without distorting the mesh in the way it would if were applied directly on the mesh.

I can turn off visibility of any deformers at any time, if I apply them finally...the mesh is available for sculpting with blender sculpting tools.
this kind of deformations and skinning isnīt possible with lightwave today as far as I know, they are also animatable of course.

I showcase it in reverse here almost..first the result in blender, then in the end I showcase how I select edges in the pattern I want to copy and paste as edges and saving out as obj for the use as skeleton lines in blender.
Take note on when I turn off the skinning, and you can see that it is on the polyline skeleton the deformation is applied on.

Jeric wantīs to see more complex stuff ..shapes etc, I will have to get back on that and see if I can find something that can showcase that better.
Would be nice if the lw team now has laid down the foundation for something like this in the next lw versions..maybe it will not be possible in the first release, will see.

Havenīt got a clue on how to work with edges or polylines in blender though, so for now it is lightwave to blender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FPg-1HxO8

prometheus
01-01-2016, 06:58 PM
I got some interesting complex shapes, will probably post later if thereīs interests...
I also noticed a wonderful thing with blender and the imported polylines, I can extend the selected points while in editing mode and having the skin fully active, and then move the branch points etc..so here it starts to work as I wanted it to do in lightwave.

will probably record that later..

Michael

stevecullum
01-04-2016, 09:08 AM
I had forgotten about this modifier in Blender - it's pretty cool. Thanks for reminding me ;)

prometheus
01-04-2016, 06:44 PM
I had forgotten about this modifier in Blender - it's pretty cool. Thanks for reminding me ;)

check this thread for even more expert tutes in blender regarding the skin modifier, I have made each post embedded with each vid tute from those, it is really cool and enjoyable..it took me some days to get used to blender naviation..finding stuff and the UI ..and how to use modifiers in edit mode, or use the other tools in object mode.

Itīs quite nice to have the option to create and edit the (skeleton) polyline structure in either lightwave or blender, and that you can continue to edit pose or extend points in blender from any lightwave imported polyline structure...I do not have to go with polylines and metaedges anymore:D

I would really like to see something like this in lightwave though..I have been shouting out for it some time now, while fiddling with metaedges and itīs nasty metaball skinning wich requires freezing and reconstruct remesh to a cleaner geometry, no need for that with this blender tool.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149340-Blender-skin-modifier-tutorials-also-compatible-with-lightwave-edges-polylines

stevecullum
01-05-2016, 01:19 PM
I had no idea you could use the modifiers in Tab mode - very intriguing! I'll check that thread out and see what's cooking. Personally, I use the curves tool in 3D Coat for initial mesh to sculpt on currently, but it would be awesome to have something that had a correct poly flow to begin with. I'm not a big fan of retopo work if I'm honest!

prometheus
01-05-2016, 04:44 PM
I had no idea you could use the modifiers in Tab mode - very intriguing! I'll check that thread out and see what's cooking. Personally, I use the curves tool in 3D Coat for initial mesh to sculpt on currently, but it would be awesome to have something that had a correct poly flow to begin with. I'm not a big fan of retopo work if I'm honest!

You should try and jump in and follow the other thread instead, since we are more guys covering everything there, drawing curves with the grease pen tool, converting those curves to mesh in order for being skinnable etc.