PDA

View Full Version : Create Parts is missing?

Philbert
12-26-2015, 11:27 PM
Was Create Part removed in 2015? I can't find it anywhere and the manual says to look under Detail > Selection Sets > Create Part but I don't even have a Selection Sets section under detail. I'd just like to select some polys and easily reselect them later.

jeric_synergy
12-27-2015, 12:45 AM
Use the Menu Editor to find such things. The Search is much better now-- Searching is my main use for the Editors.

Oedo 808
12-27-2015, 12:49 AM
It should be under Detail > Parts, the second sub-group from bottom. If you want to search for it try Change Part Name, that's what comes up when I use my hotkey.

Philbert
12-27-2015, 01:14 AM
I did search the menu editor. That's my first stop when I can't find something.

I do see it under Detail > Parts now. Thanks. They should fix that in the manual though. I'm sure I couldn't find it in the editor because I was looking for "create" not "change".

Oedo 808
12-27-2015, 01:50 AM
Yeah, there are few of those that creep up from time to time.

Sensei
12-27-2015, 02:20 AM
Change Part is true internal name of this tool. Create Part was just visible in GUI in some versions of LW.
You use it either to create part, delete part (by entering empty string), or rename part to other..
So 'Create Part' was misleading name.

Philbert
12-27-2015, 02:23 AM
I've seen this problem pop up a number of times over the years with internal names and GUI names.

jeric_synergy
12-27-2015, 10:18 AM
I did search the menu editor. That's my first stop when I can't find something.

I do see it under Detail > Parts now. Thanks. They should fix that in the manual though. I'm sure I couldn't find it in the editor because I was looking for "create" not "change".
Yeah, that's always been VERY silly.*

Note that the search has changed & improved: IIRC (#aflw) "Create Part" will fail but just "Part" will show all "Part" related commands-- this is much better than the old Search methods, thank the devs! Now if only the Search field were activated on editor launch (WHY NOT????**) it'd be near-perfect. You could just start typing.

*I know it's ancient, but ancient dev, WTF?
**There's no/zero downside to having the Search field activated, if the user is going to do anything else their first click just ignores the fact that the Search is hot. But if they are about to Search it saves them mouse navigation and a click, which is a big deal in the UI scheme of things.