PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2015 config

pquinn
12-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Hey all.

Just picked up the upgrade for Lightwave 2015, and wanted to know how to use port over my Lw10 configs to lightwave 2015

ernpchan
12-25-2015, 11:22 AM
You can save your keyboard, menu and preferences out from 10 and then load them into 2015.

jasonwestmas
12-25-2015, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't advise using old configs. Causes crashes.

jeric_synergy
12-25-2015, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't advise using old configs. Causes crashes.
I always hoped/guessed that key/menu configs didn't actually run a risk of introducing the kinds of errors that config corruption arises from. (Yikes, what an awful sentence!)

Snosrap
12-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Hey all.

Just picked up the upgrade for Lightwave 2015, and wanted to know how to use port over my Lw10 configs to lightwave 2015

It's best not to do that when going from one ordinal upgrade to another. Just take the time to rebuild it the way you like it, you'll be further ahead.

spherical
12-25-2015, 08:33 PM
I always hoped/guessed that key/menu configs didn't actually run a risk of introducing the kinds of errors that config corruption arises from. (Yikes, what an awful sentence!)

Not sure of your meaning but Jason was talking about just dropping an earlier version's configs into a new version install. I wouldn't say that mere key/menu exports would cause anything, unless the UI changed so significantly that exports from an earlier version are completely incompatible with the new menu system.

jasonwestmas
12-26-2015, 09:09 AM
yeah hot key and menu configs are usually safe to port. But plugin configs avoid.

Ma3rk
12-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Hey all.

Pretty much what the others have stated but wanted to add a comment or two.

A month or so ago I got 2015 and did a fresh install and set up my desktop icons to use a new configs folder. I started "kicking the tires" and noticed that some basic things simply weren't there such as the Loop selection tools nor the entire Select submenu in Modeler.

A couple forum replies suggested purging the new configs files which I did. I then rescanned my entire 3rd Party plug-in folder, then went into both Modeler and Layouts menu edit areas and toggled them from what they were to something else then back to default. That cleared the problems up and gave me the correct 2015 menus. No idea what happened with a fresh clean install, but so it goes.

Updates within a version, I'll export menu branches. With a completely new version though (actually two versions difference in your case) I wouldn't trust that so I simply opened up 11.6 and made screen captures for reference. This might sound a bit fiddly, but it will save you a lot of frustration and time.

jeric_synergy
12-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the walk-thru: it's always good to hear others' travails so we know we aren't singled out for persecution in a cold uncaring universe. ;)