PDA

View Full Version : The strangest polygon I've ever seen

kfiram
12-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Just try to recreate this bastard!
1 polygon. Completely planar. 8 points. 10 edges.

kfiram
12-23-2015, 06:05 PM
And how about this one?
Still 1 polygon. Still completely planar. Still 8 points and 10 edges.

kfiram
12-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Or these 3 (yes, only three) fellas?

kfiram
12-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Merge points, merge polygons, unify polygons, mesh repair... none of them does anything to these beasts.
Statistics panel also shows nothing wrong with them in all selection modes.
As far as LW is concerned, these are perfectly valid polys.

They are pretty easy to create once you know how.
I think LW is rather unique in the way it allows these monstrosities to exist. Not sure it's a good thing...

kfiram
12-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Last one.
Again, this is supposedly a completely valid polygon in LW's book.

shrox
12-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Merge points, merge polygons, unify polygons, mesh repair... none of them does anything to these beasts.
Statistics panel also shows nothing wrong with them in all selection modes.
As far as LW is concerned, these are perfectly valid polys.

They are pretty easy to create once you know how.
I think LW is rather unique in the way it allows these monstrosities to exist. Not sure it's a good thing...

I fix them. Or more likely, say frak it and replace it...I had about a dozen of those today. Stuff like an invisible mystery point miles away.

kfiram
12-23-2015, 06:41 PM
I couldn't find anyway to fix them.
No tool in Modeler does anything for them, and there's no way I can think of to even locate or isolate them.
They appear completely OK.

The ONLY solution is to manually find them, kill them and then recreate them from their orphaned points.

probiner
12-23-2015, 08:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tAN7Gcn.png

Part of this (http://probiner.x10.mx/pedro-contents/flash/Shifting-Grid-Topology-Keys.swf)

meshpig
12-23-2015, 10:19 PM
No tool in Modeler does anything for them, and there's no way I can think of to even locate or isolate them.

The ONLY solution is to manually find them, kill them and then recreate them from their orphaned points.

Usually it's an whole bunch of strangled quads. What happens when you select the N-gon and delete it?

shrox
12-23-2015, 11:16 PM

That's where the frak it comes in.

meshpig
12-23-2015, 11:20 PM
That's where the frak it comes in.

What the frak? :)

shrox
12-24-2015, 12:05 AM
What the frak? :)

Exactly! A WTF poly...

Every4thPixel
12-24-2015, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here but this is not how you make polygons. I see in your stats window that you have just one poly and by looking at your wires you created them in a very arbitrary way. When you want to create polys with more than 4 points which I do not recommend (only when you really need to) select the points clockwise and press p.

Sensei
12-24-2015, 09:30 AM

Here is mine reproduction of your polygon:

And here is solution to fix them with TrueArt's Modeling Pack (http://modelingpack.trueart.eu)'s Reorder Points and EasySplit (there is needed to turn off Fix 3-5 and Fix N-gon options):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmgSv8TWvQw
(when the first time tried EasySplit, it fixed it straight away, without having to Reorder Points first)

It's possible to write tool to locate them, and fix them straight away though.

JoePoe
12-24-2015, 09:47 AM
My turn.....

Started with a single poly shaped like this (12 points) 131591 , merged the points that were close. Ta-da! 8 pts still 1 poly 131585
(Probiner was correct :))

Fixes (4):
1) Knife across the interior *cough* "edges" 131586 delete these 131587
edit: you can Knife anywhere! The interior edges disappear.... 131593. Just delete the new cut/points.

2) Triple 131588 run Unigon or Shift Z 131589

3) Run Make Pole 131590, Dissolve (not Delete) the pole point.

4) grab single point, select loop, hit p. Delete what was there. (not really a fix... more of a replace)

BUT you're right, hard to find automatically... as far as I know. Visually too!
Sensei, you said you could write something that would do that??! Seems like it could be a nice addition to Mesh Repair!

shrox
12-24-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here but this is not how you make polygons. I see in your stats window that you have just one poly and by looking at your wires you created them in a very arbitrary way. When you want to create polys with more than 4 points which I do not recommend (only when you really need to) select the points clockwise and press p.

I think the OP was just noting these, not promoting it as a proper modeling technique.

kfiram
12-24-2015, 12:46 PM
I think the OP was just noting these, not promoting it as a proper modeling technique.

Yep.
I've read Jarno's post describing "HOLAGONS", wanted to see for myself what this was all about and found myself exploring these strange mamoths.

IgnusFast
12-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Generally I've found I can just select the polygon, triple it, then re-merge the tris...

squarewulf
12-29-2015, 12:59 AM

Try slicing them once with the knife tool.