PDA

View Full Version : Caustics in Lightwave 2015, cont.

DrStrik9
12-22-2015, 09:12 AM
This is a good video to watch on caustics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LYjPhKBck

In it, he references "another video" about painting a sun hot spot in an HDR image. I've been experimenting with this (in Photoshop 32-bit), and would really like to see his other video on this subject. But searching YouTube yields nothing. Does anyone know a link to this "other video"?

Thanks.

-- BTW, either his computer is MANY time faster than mine, or he cheated by speeding up his video ... :+) With his GI/camera/render settings, it takes HOURS to render one smooth HD frame. I find I can use far fewer samples to get a decent render, but the time is still around an hour per frame.

m.d.
12-22-2015, 10:04 AM
this is his channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC70iqhF_NGDMefOfYUNTtuw

wellsichris
12-22-2015, 10:11 AM
no speedup of the video, it's a dual xeon, 3.4ghz, 16 cores, I use HDR light studio to paint in the sun, so that I can see it working in real time. in VPR or octane,
also it depends on the shapes, a glass for example takes a very long time, so depending on the detail of the caustics,

hope that helps,

Chris

m.d.
12-22-2015, 10:52 AM
you got some good stuff on your channel Chris....
Are those generation scripts available by any chance?

DrStrik9
12-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Thanks a lot, guys. :+)

DrStrik9
12-22-2015, 11:32 AM
no speedup of the video, it's a dual xeon, 3.4ghz, 16 cores, I use HDR light studio to paint in the sun, so that I can see it working in real time. in VPR or octane,
also it depends on the shapes, a glass for example takes a very long time, so depending on the detail of the caustics,

hope that helps,

Chris

Thanks for the info. (I didn't really think you were speeding up your video.) :+) -- I find, painting in 32-bit Photoshop, that the intensity AND the size of the added hot-spot can make a huge difference. Unfortunately, it isn't interactive like what you describe. So I may end up trying it several times before getting a great result, and I may end up tweaking lightprobe opacity some of the time.

I'll try to find your video on that topic. Thanks again, great stuff.

wellsichris
12-22-2015, 02:33 PM
I just mention the painting in a video, I haven't done a video showing how, As for the generation scripts, they aren't available, we have debated on it, but not knowing what blackmagic is doing makes it enough of a moving target we haven't moved towards making them more universal.

m.d.
12-23-2015, 01:33 PM
makes sense...a lot of things changing over there...I could see generation kinda merging with davinci possibly at some point.

Scripts look great though, very complete