PDA

View Full Version : Good video formats for internet download

pgrimpo
12-09-2003, 12:52 PM
I am working with a client who does video clip distribution. He's wondering what file formats he should offer. Currently considering Quicktime(Sorenson?), MPEG-2 and DV. Now, DV is inherently around 250MB/S right? That seems a little large for downloads.

End users, some will just play these clips as is, and others will use them for editing.

What formats might you guys suggest us offering for download? MJPEG even maybe?

End Users will be editing on Mac and PC, normally on lower line NLE's

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Phil

Jim_C
12-09-2003, 01:14 PM
He wants to send Video files thru the internet that will be edited with later?

pgrimpo
12-09-2003, 01:16 PM
He said his userbase is about 50/50. 50% will end up editing these clips into another larger project, and 50% will end up just showing the clips in their current form.

-Grimps

Jim_C
12-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Unless the people have a lot of time to wait for their downloads. And I mean a lot. Its going to be tough to give them a medium that they can edit with that still maintains airable quality.

wmv's, quicktime, mpeg1 can all be compressed to different degrees for download and viewing on computers, but I don't think any of them are going to hold up on air on a tv.

I may be making a mistake and assuming that when you say for editing you mean for television air.

Are they just editing pieces for more net distribution?

pgrimpo
12-09-2003, 01:40 PM
They will be editing them primarily for projection in worship. Most clips are rather short like 1min. or so.

-Grimps

Jim_C
12-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Unless he wants to take a HUGE hit in quality,or has a huge server and all his clients have a LOT of time, even for Projection use, I don't think net distribution is his best bet.

If you compress any file relatively small enough for net sending, its not going to look very good on the big screen.

Hopefully, for this sake, I'm wrong.

jim

pgrimpo
12-09-2003, 01:58 PM
I guess we'll have to do some compresses and see what file sizes we get.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BTW, he also offers these in several tape formats, but was looking at another way to distribute.

-Phil

bradl
12-09-2003, 09:27 PM
I am not as learned as some here on this subject, but I have had good success with DIVX 5.x.x for the best bang for your buck. You can get remarkable quality with resonably small files. WMV 9's, I believe, are very similar.

Of course, you should convert the file to a more VT friendly format (RTV, MJPEG or DV) once it is downloaded, but you don't 'have' to as the DIVX AVI will play on the timeline.

eon5
12-10-2003, 06:31 AM
url]http://www.on2.com/[/url]

On2 states this new codec can copress DVD quality video at 780kbs and can run a analog VHS signal at 500kbs with little degridation.

The VP6 Simple Profile encoding plays back HD resolution on a PC and 3/4 HDTV on Equator's 405 MHz BSP. "VP6 beat H.264, Windows Media 9 and Real Networks 9 in PSNR comparisons using the standard set of MPEG-2 test clips.

The codec looks better than Windows Media 9, shows far less motion artifacts than Windows Media 9, and maintains more texture and detail than Real 9 or H.264."(from On2s' Press Release)

You can find samples of video compresed with this codec here*, and you can down load the Personal use license version which can not be used for commercial purposes here**, the codec has no feature restrictions and is compatible with VFW-compliant video processing applications.

http://www.on2.com/vp6_samples.php3

http://www.on2.com/duckutils/duck_license.php3?class=vp6

OBroschart
12-10-2003, 07:51 AM
If the viewing audience is split 50/50, then offer two separate compressions or codecs: one for viewing over the internet (WM9 at 300k), and the other (DV) for NLE work.

DV is still more efficient than MJPEG, you can't beat it for image quality vs bitrate. Although you can't compress the [email protected] out of it like you can with MJPEG...

You also need to consider what the final playback would be. Would it be a video window in a PowerPoint presentation, or full-screen, full frame rate video?