PDA

View Full Version : Lw snow shader..not available in 2015, crashing with vpr in 11.6.3

prometheus
12-20-2015, 02:52 PM
was playing around with shaders.

In 11.6.3 there is a snow shader in the surface tab called.. lw snow shader in the drop down menu of shaders, however ..it isnīt available in lw 2015, as I can see the legacy folder is gone? or place elsewhere?
anyway...I got a lot of crashes when using it with vpr and moving the camera, I could get it to work while tweakingi t and update vpr..but moving the camera will make it crash.

so I was about to try 2015 to see if that was improved..but as mentioned..it isnīt there, looked for snow shader..but nothing, but I figured out it is called Natural shaders in the legacy plugin folder of 11.6.3
so I copied it to the 2015 plugin folders..and yes..it works, but same as 11.63 ..moving the camera in vpr will make it crash.

To bad, we could use natural terrain shaders etc..working a bit better, it should be rewritten and made to work with VPR...instead of the ridiculous small preveiwer inside of the shader plugin interface.

Michael

HarverdGrad
12-20-2015, 03:50 PM
was playing around with shaders.

In 11.6.3 there is a snow shader in the surface tab called.. lw snow shader in the drop down menu of shaders, however ..it isnīt available in lw 2015, as I can see the legacy folder is gone? or place elsewhere?
anyway...I got a lot of crashes when using it with vpr and moving the camera, I could get it to work while tweakingi t and update vpr..but moving the camera will make it crash.

so I was about to try 2015 to see if that was improved..but as mentioned..it isnīt there, looked for snow shader..but nothing, but I figured out it is called Natural shaders in the legacy plugin folder of 11.6.3
so I copied it to the 2015 plugin folders..and yes..it works, but same as 11.63 ..moving the camera in vpr will make it crash.

To bad, we could use natural terrain shaders etc..working a bit better, it should be rewritten and made to work with VPR...instead of the ridiculous small preveiwer inside of the shader plugin interface.

Michael

Not trying to derail the thread but you mentioned the the effect not being visible in the VPR. Blender Cycles + Cuda is pretty amazing. It's nice & quick previewing the render.

BlenderGuru just put up a nice Snow tutorial..
http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/make-snow/

This was my attempt (before any node materials applied)
3 frame Gif.. 2seconds per frame

prometheus
12-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Not trying to derail the thread but you mentioned the the effect not being visible in the VPR. Blender Cycles + Cuda is pretty amazing. It's nice & quick previewing the render.

BlenderGuru just put up a nice Snow tutorial..
http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/make-snow/

This was my attempt (before any node materials applied)
3 frame Gif.. 2seconds per frame

No you are mistaken..I never mentioned the effect not visible in VPR, it Is visible...however, this is a special shader so you have to tweak and close the shader module interface then update vpr.
what I have problems with ..it is crashing when moving the cam in vpr, and I donīt like the shader to work in a seperate module.

There are other ways to go about making snow with nodes or without that shader of course.

blender ..yes, interesting..but it really tells me nothing since I do not know how you are applying the snow, displacements or a special dedicated snow shader in blender or what?

prometheus
12-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Ah...looked briefly on the tute..but really, all that you can do easy in lightwave as well..just need a paint program to do the same, displacements works in lightwave too you know, as well as working in vpr with it.

what you showed and refer to..really has nothing to do with this snowshader ..it is two different techs behind that and the thing you showed.

I must thank you anyway...it is interesting, and yes the preveiw renderer in blender seems very fast..as soon as I get the time, I will install blender..in fact gonna have a meeting with a youngster tomorrow who will show blender a bit more..and I will show lightwave bla bla..:)

Ztreem
12-20-2015, 04:51 PM
isn't that snow shader from like LW 5.6 or 6? I would not use that at all, I think you will get more realistic and better results with some simple nodes, snow is just water no need for fancy shaders.

Kaptive
12-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Also, probably not worth updating when we have a whole new rendering system coming in a few months time! :)

Areyos Alektor
12-20-2015, 06:47 PM
I could be wrong but in my memories it was advised to use "gradients" instead. You have to be able to find it in one of the manuals ("LW6" I think).

If I think I will research it.

erikals
12-20-2015, 10:41 PM
gradient, slope angle...
(3min into video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQobZj8Xx1s

lardbros
12-21-2015, 07:04 AM
The snow shader is identical to just having a gradient applied to the slope of a surface.
It's really really buggy, and I'm not sure it's supposed to be used any longer really.

Things are a-changing, and think it's probably a good idea to get rid of the old and in with the new. :)

prometheus
12-21-2015, 09:46 AM
The snow shader is identical to just having a gradient applied to the slope of a surface.
It's really really buggy, and I'm not sure it's supposed to be used any longer really.

Things are a-changing, and think it's probably a good idea to get rid of the old and in with the new. :)

Maybe it is, However... I thought the snow shader added the snow more realisticly than using slope gradients though, but I could be wrong, there are settings like smoothness for snow amount, and values for start slope angle, and end slope angle..then there is start settings for y in meters and end in meters and also a smoothness control for that..along with that some build in surface shading control...that just makes it faster to set it up(at least before)

One major difference is however that it is a shader and saved within the scene, while slope in surface settings will be saved within the object.

You can use the sader with viper (not vpr) but it will not update when tweaking..so you have to do the tweak, close the shader module and update viper with render.
Michael

lardbros
12-21-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the controls in the snow (and rust for that matter) isn't anything better or more complex than a gradient and a few other controls, that could be achieved using gradients and procedural textures.
With a gradient you can choose distances and add keys etc to change the way the snow will be. It's infinitely more powerful though, in my opinion.

Think shaders are saved per object too aren't they? Not per scene.

prometheus
12-22-2015, 04:53 AM
I'm pretty sure the controls in the snow (and rust for that matter) isn't anything better or more complex than a gradient and a few other controls, that could be achieved using gradients and procedural textures.
With a gradient you can choose distances and add keys etc to change the way the snow will be. It's infinitely more powerful though, in my opinion.

Think shaders are saved per object too aren't they? Not per scene.

Stand corrected, shaders are saved with objects..donīt know why I thought the other way...too little coffe perhaps.
yes..it may be more powerful...depends on, its however faster to use a shader though, then again depends on if you save a surface preset, then it wonīt matter match perhaps...not sure I will go on and evaluate which one is the best though..was just testing
the shaders really without any specific goal.