PDA

View Full Version : SDI vs. Video out

Flexmedia.tv
12-19-2015, 08:32 AM
I have a Mini and I run 2 cameras from the SDI out because I always have. I have a Few Go Pros that I just can't get to run through HDMI to SDI converters so I gave up but what's the advantage to using SDI cameras? Can't I just run a video out or does that degrade over long cable runs?
Thanks
Art

JPulera
12-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Hi Art,

Please explain "video out", what connection is that?

Thanks

Jeff

kanep
12-19-2015, 01:01 PM
SDI can run much longer than HDMI cables (if that is what you mean by video out). Also SDI connectors are locking, versus HDMI connections which do not.

GoPro's are notoriously finicky when it come to getting them working with professional production gear. Typically 720p is you best bet as a video format. Some HDMI to SDI converters don't like the output of the GoPro no matter what you do, so you might try a different manufacturer for a converter.

Flexmedia.tv
12-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Yes, I gave up on trying to get my Go Pros to work!
By video out I mean just a BNC connector from the old RCA cable. If I had another camera here I would try it. Otherwise how do you connect a camera to the mini if it's not SDI?

kltv
12-19-2015, 02:22 PM
An old fashioned video out is going to be standard-definition analog composite. You'd have to convert that to SDI to get it into your SDI mini.

Kris

Flexmedia.tv
12-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Gotcha, so I just have to find two reasonably priced cameras that are SDI out to go with my two. I can't afford 2 more like the ones I have. Any suggestions? I've given up on trying to make my Go Pros work with converters, even tho a few of us have.

JonRaidel
12-20-2015, 06:08 AM
I have no problem converting my GoPro with the BlackMagic HDMI -> SDI converter. and the camera does have to be in 720P