PDA

View Full Version : SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: "Air Head" - Deadline=31/12

Kuzey
12-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Since it's holiday season and the activity dramatically drops on the forums I'd thought I push the deadline to the end of the year..hope that's ok :)

Rules:
1. Every challenge specifies a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time modeling. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and final render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread. Note: Some challenges will include final render instructions and time limit restrictions as well. This is up to the judge creating the challenge.
3. Only LightWave is to be used for modeling. However, 3rd party Plugins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time limit, we encourage you to submit the model, but it won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. Although, not required, it is always nice if the artist provides information on how the model was created, what plugins were used and any special techniques used.
7. The following criteria is used to award points. Modeling is looking for good poly flow. The better it is, the more points awarded. Creativity is how you interpreted the specifications of the challenge and applied them in way not necessarily expected. Expression is how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission. Render refers to how well the model, creativity and expression were conveyed.

Criteria Points
Modeling 0 to 5
Creativity 0 to 5
Expression 0 to 5
Render 0 to 5

Challenge: Air Head

This is a big theme, so anything that needs air/wind to function etc. is good. Bicycle pumps, non-sexual blow up toys, blow up castles, drones, aircraft, fantasy vehicles, hot air balloons, music instruments, medical instruments, insects, animals etc..etc.

TIME LIMIT: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! We're on the honor system here people.

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break your time up as needed, but do keep track.

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your ‘final’ render displays the model in a scene rather than just a textured render of the model. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

Attached is a PDF of the challenge criteria. I would like to see a lot of participants even if they aren't able to meet the time limit. Give it your best shot, maybe you don't meet the criteria but you still inspire someone else's idea. How great is that?!!

unstable
12-19-2015, 07:23 AM
How about a whoopie cushion? Whoopie!!

Hopefully, I'll find time to do one a little more complex than this one. But this one was well under 30 minutes and will suffice if no one else submits an entry. :D

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Kaptive
12-20-2015, 07:09 AM
Ello,

A really quick effort. I'm sure this can be done much better, but I went with speed and passable results, over time and perfect results.

Modelling probably only took like 20 minutes, and then a bit of time (more than modelling) chucking a texture/scene together. It is what it is :)

131496 131497

Surrealist.
12-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Nice one. :)

Kuzey
12-27-2015, 06:40 PM
I'm guessing everyone is tied up or a bit tipsy or out of town or..or..or :)

Anyway, here's mine..Dart flying machine 56mins more on the blog (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2015/12/dart-flying-machine-wip1.html)

ps. I'm might extend it a week or so

Kuzey
12-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Oops..was that a bump or another update :)

Dart Flying Machine: wip2 (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2015/12/dart-flying-machine-wip2.html)

bellmore
12-29-2015, 02:26 PM
WOW!, Kuzey. If you keep submitting your own models for the challenge, you are going to win! Nice models.

bellmore
12-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Why is Band Saw Pro not working for me? I am trying to build a model for this challenge but Band Saw Pro is not working for me. I open up the numeric panel but everything is ghosted out. What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you in advance.

Kuzey
12-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Why is Band Saw Pro not working for me? I am trying to build a model for this challenge but Band Saw Pro is not working for me. I open up the numeric panel but everything is ghosted out. What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you in advance.

I still use the old band saw, but I played with the pro version just now & got the same results as you. Try dropping the tool and then selecting it again..might work, might not & good luck!

Ztreem
12-29-2015, 06:32 PM

Thank you in advance.

You must open the numeric panel and activate divide.

Ztreem
12-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Ello,

A really quick effort. I'm sure this can be done much better, but I went with speed and passable results, over time and perfect results.

Modelling probably only took like 20 minutes, and then a bit of time (more than modelling) chucking a texture/scene together. It is what it is :)

131496 131497

I like this one. You could of course get rid of some polys on the front and back of the balloons.

Kuzey
12-30-2015, 04:16 PM
You must open the numeric panel and activate divide.

With the tests I did, enable divide was activated & even the reset & active dropdown menu was ghosted.

Kuzey
12-30-2015, 04:19 PM
I think I'll extend this to another week if people don't mind :)

In other news..another update (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2015/12/dart-flying-machine-wip3.html)

Slartibartfast
12-31-2015, 05:24 AM
Rendertime 7min. Modeling time 1h 54m.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

Slartibartfast
01-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Bump: should we finish this?

bellmore
01-08-2016, 03:09 PM
With the tests I did, enable divide was activated & even the reset & active dropdown menu was ghosted.
Yeah me, too. Band Saw Pro is just not working. I've never used the old band saw. Maybe I should look into it. Where is the old band saw located. I looked under Multiply --> Subdivide --> more and there is nothing related to band saw.

Edit: I am using LightWave 2015.3

bellmore
01-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Here is a render of an air tank. over time by 20 minutes. Also over time for a submission, but I thought I could post it anyway.131826

bellmore
01-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Never mind. I see Band Saw under more now. I will try some test using this. Sorry about any confusion. I found it.

bellmore
01-08-2016, 04:58 PM
The one thing about Band Saw is it does not show a preview of the cuts it will make. But i see that the Cut tool does show a preview. But with the Cut tool, It doesn't make a complete cut through all of the geometry. So you have to select all of the polygons that you want it to cut through. Band Saw cuts straight through them.

Kuzey
01-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Ok..ok here we go :)

First place is: Slartibartfast

Followed by a close second (no wireframe render) bellmore

In the rear we have Kaptive, unstable & me :P

Thanks for playing guys

Slartibartfast
01-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Thank you!

Next challenge is up here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149397-SPEED-MODELING-CHALLENGE-quot-Snowtime!-quot-Deadline-17-Jan-2016)

unstable
01-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Congrats Slartibartfast. Glad this one ended. I just can't seem to get motivated. Hopefully your snow challenge will rally me and many others to participate. Good job though

Slartibartfast
01-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Congrats Slartibartfast. Glad this one ended. I just can't seem to get motivated. Hopefully your snow challenge will rally me and many others to participate. Good job though

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to see your snow models ;)