PDA

View Full Version : I messed up with Vue5

dickbill
12-18-2015, 09:05 AM
I got Vue Infinite, which I liked very much, with LW 8 combo several years ago.

Vue activation was linked in one of my email account.
However recently I had to delete that email account because it was repetitively hacked and I forgot my Vue account was linked to it.
Last time I upgraded my system on a new hard drive, I reinstalled Vue but now it says the PRE-serial number is already registered and therefore I cannot activate Vue . I cannot login on my Vue account to request a new serial number, either because I forgot the password or because the email account is deleted.

That was Vue 5, it is not supported anymore by eon software so I may have only one solution: buy a new full version of Vue.
Any other idea ?

CaptainMarlowe
12-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Mail to the customer service, they may reset your serial. I did it once, they were pretty responsive.

dickbill
12-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Vue5 does not qualify for support anymore, but I contacted the CS anyway pretending it was Vue10. I am not optimistic, I bet i'll receive the message 'Vue5 is not supported anymore'.

dickbill
12-18-2015, 12:23 PM
It actually worked !
The technician answered my email in 10 minutes and fixed it (he deleted my old account). Thanks Captn!

Vue5 is good but I guess the new versions are of course better, except the upgrade from Vue5 is not even available anymore.

dickbill
12-19-2015, 06:23 AM
There has been a while since I used Vue and Lightwave simultaneously.
1) Wasn't there a plugin, Vue-sync or something, to synchronize Vue and LW ? I can't find it in the plugin directory.

I rendered an old Vue5 scene, millions of polygons in global volumetric radiosity plus all the bell and whistle, in 4 hours and a half at 1920X1080 on my very modest AMD 6300 FX. I saved the jpg output and a z buffer and I intend to re-render/composite in LW with some additional objects. It would have been 'difficult' to set up a scene like that in LW, but possibly the rendering time would have been the same in LW using instances.
2) Is there an image/video host (free) where I could post that? I already have a Youtube channel but it is dedicated to family stuff so I don't want to put 5 seconds LW animations in it. Perhaps the best solution is to create another Youtube channel ?

dickbill
12-19-2015, 09:47 AM
I think the plugin was : VueExport
http://vuenews.blogspot.com/2007/09/vueexport2-lightwave-plugin.html

It is not in the link anymore and I can't find it in the support Asset/plugins web site https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/

dickbill
12-19-2015, 04:20 PM
I finally found it, it was still in the Vue CD in a 'Synch plugins' folder.

It's called VueSynch.p but for some reason I cannot add it to the list of plugins from within LW11.6. Any idea why ?

HarverdGrad
12-19-2015, 04:25 PM
I finally found it, it was still in the Vue CD in a 'Synch plugins' folder.

It's called VueSynch.p but for some reason I cannot add it to the list of plugins from within LW11.6. Any idea why ?

Is it a 32bit plugin? Are you trying to add in 64Bit LW?

dickbill
12-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Is it a 32bit plugin? Are you trying to add in 64Bit LW?
don't tell me I can't.

What's the solution : reinstall LW9.6 32bits, synch vue within LW 9.6 , save scene in LW9.6 and re-import in in LW11.6 ?

dickbill
12-19-2015, 04:46 PM
131492A pretty scene rendered in Vue5, like in 5 minutes.

here with global volumetrics and everything, not much different but 4 hours to render.

spherical
12-19-2015, 07:12 PM
don't tell me I can't.

What's the solution : reinstall LW9.6 32bits, synch vue within LW 9.6 , save scene in LW9.6 and re-import in in LW11.6 ?

Just install 11.6 32-bit. It may require the earlier version, due to SDK changes since v9, but worth a shot.

dickbill
12-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Yes, I know for sure that Vue5 could be synchronized with 9.6, but I guess I have to try with 11.6 32 bits.
So many issues...

Does anybody have something nice to say about modern versions of Vue (like 'complete' or 'studio 2015') working together with Lightwave ? How much better than Vue5 it is etc....

dickbill
12-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Nope, I tried LW11 32 bits, it doesn't take the Vuesynch plugin.

I downloaded and tried LW 9.6 32 bits: it accepts the plugin but I cannot use it because the dongle is not recognized anymore. I even tried to force install the driver for the dongle (the one for windowsXp pro 64, it is on the LW 8 disk, and I assume that it would work under Windows7/64) but the dongle is still not recognized, so LW 9.6 runs in demo mode and the VueSynch plugin cannot work in these conditions. I tried to manually set the camera in LW (LW 11 or 9.6) to fit with the Vue settings, and it is very difficult. I used the Vue render ouput as a background in LW, and a few objects saved from Vue as a LW scene, but I cannot superimpose them correctly. The camera position seems correct (correcting for Vue Z axis = LW Y axis) , but the orientation and focal don't fit.

sadkkf
12-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Yes, I know for sure that Vue5 could be synchronized with 9.6, but I guess I have to try with 11.6 32 bits.
So many issues...

Does anybody have something nice to say about modern versions of Vue (like 'complete' or 'studio 2015') working together with Lightwave ? How much better than Vue5 it is etc....

I use 11 Complete and can say it's not very LightWave friendly. Complete has very limited export options and will not interact with LW as xStream and Infinite do.

My biggest complaint is how poorly UV maps export for objects. It's really better to just start over.

vue does export nice HDR skies and of course terrains but not ecosystem instances.

dickbill
12-21-2015, 07:30 PM
I use 11 Complete and can say it's not very LightWave friendly. Complete has very limited export options and will not interact with LW as xStream and Infinite do.

My biggest complaint is how poorly UV maps export for objects. It's really better to just start over.

vue does export nice HDR skies and of course terrains but not ecosystem instances.

hmm, thanks for the feed back. Indeed there is a big thread on Terragen right now, not much on Vue. The Vue gallery looks nice though, but of course Terragen is photorealistic.

spherical
12-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Nope, I tried LW11 32 bits, it doesn't take the Vuesynch plugin.

I downloaded and tried LW 9.6 32 bits: it accepts the plugin but I cannot use it because the dongle is not recognized anymore. I even tried to force install the driver for the dongle (the one for windowsXp pro 64, it is on the LW 8 disk, and I assume that it would work under Windows7/64) but the dongle is still not recognized,

LightWave 8 Sentinel drivers will be too old. Get a current Sentinel installer from SafeNet:
http://www.safenet-inc.com/support-downloads/sentinel-drivers/

Uninstall the old one first. Get the SSD Cleanup utility to be sure. Install the current version with the dongle disconnected.

TBH, I never used the plugin much at all. Just went the straight route and exported models.

dickbill
12-21-2015, 08:02 PM
I think I figured the Camera's transformations from Vue(5) to Lw. The position and headings are correctly saved along the scene during Vue Export. But not the focal, to get the focal right I had to switch the default LW camera from 'perspective' to 'real world' so I can at least modify the focal. 'Classic' would work too I guess. Anyways I am very puzzled however because I can indeed superimposed the Vue rendering output with a few exported objects, but not at the focal indicated by Vue.
I got superposition with a Vue Camera focal of 19 mm and a LW camera (real world or classic) at 13.8 mm approximately.
This is a ratio Vue/LW = 1.37 (approximately since I manually adjusted the LW focal to match the Vue scene).
I can't find a reason for that ratio, nor do I know if it is general or just particular to my scene.

dickbill
12-21-2015, 08:06 PM
LightWave 8 Sentinel drivers will be too old. Get a current Sentinel installer from SafeNet:
http://www.safenet-inc.com/support-downloads/sentinel-drivers/

TBH, I never used the plugin much at all. Just went the straight route and exported models.

Thanks, I think that if I can figure the Camera's transform totally, I won't need the plugin either.

sadkkf
12-22-2015, 07:07 AM
hmm, thanks for the feed back. Indeed there is a big thread on Terragen right now, not much on Vue. The Vue gallery looks nice though, but of course Terragen is photorealistic.

Please don't misunderstand me. Vue is great software and *can* produce photorealistic renders. The thing is, Vue defaults are ridiculous and require a lot of tweaking to produce good results, but once you do, you save your settings and load them as needed.

Complete is a nice version, but is self-contained. You can't export much, but can import LW objects.