PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars. Disappointing?

djwaterman
12-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Perhaps you can change my opinion. Discuss.

50one
12-18-2015, 01:59 AM
Never been a fan.
However consider this - world is getting older and so are we, technology is getting smarter but we're getting dumber and it's hard to match that "wow" factor the original series had on a wee boy in dark cinema back in the days;)

djwaterman
12-18-2015, 02:39 AM
I watched the original version (http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713) not that long ago and it still has the wow factor. The effects work in the latest one are top of the line so that's not really the problem as I see it. Anyway, it's just a movie.

lightscape
12-18-2015, 03:21 AM
Same old concepts same old story. Its the same trilogy less jarjar.
More of the same dark jedi with angst issues and the savior/chosen one concept.
Fight scenes are lame.

50one
12-18-2015, 03:23 AM
I watched the original ones like two weeks ago during a marathon on telly. I enjoyed it although as I said I've never been a fan due to creature /set designs although those wee hairy bastards along with Chewbacca looked great.

djwaterman
12-18-2015, 03:35 AM
This snipet of a review I got off the aintitcool website is probably closest to my impression.

The Los Angeles Times says:

... Perhaps inevitably, this, the most hotly anticipated motion picture since "Gone With the Wind," has an erratic, haphazard quality to it. Though a definite improvement on the last three abortive "Star Wars" prequels directed by series creator George Lucas, "The Force Awakens" is only at its best in fits and starts, its success dependent on who of its mix of franchise veterans and first-timers is on the screen. … At its best, however, "The Force Awakens" basks in the presence of an altogether splendid Harrison Ford who, unlike original costars Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, has a full-fledged, rip-roaring leading role rather than a cameo. Until he checks in midway through the film, appropriately craggy and battle weary, and elevates everyone's game, the pickings are slim. …

I don't have access to the full review so I don't know what other judgment they go on to make, however, all the other reviews give it the big thumbs up, so we might be in the minority here.

souzou
12-18-2015, 05:38 AM
I can't understand all the positive reviews. There are aspects of it that I enjoyed - I thought the acting was generally good and some fairly decent new characters - but overall very disappointing. Just a rehash of ep.4 story, and so many things that were either inconsistent, contrived or downright stupid. What a wasted opportunity.

djwaterman
12-18-2015, 06:41 AM
No doubt, when so many think the same thing it makes you doubt yourself. I just want to say, if possible, no actual spoilers. So far we've been good.

WilliamVaughan
12-18-2015, 07:04 AM
I watched it last night and loved it. It fit right in line with the original three movies that I loved as a kid. Great cast and it brought many new elements to the Star Wars world that made it feel fresh while still keeping true to what I loved about the first three.

Will be seeing it again soon.

kyuzo
12-18-2015, 07:35 AM
I saw the original in the cinema when I was 4. I thoroughly enjoyed The Force Awakens.

Rey and Finn had good chemistry. Han had a good part. The way they handled the dark sith-type character was different to what's been done before. BB8 is cute as hell and has personality. Chewie gets to show more personality than he has in the past too I thought. Plenty of subtle nods to the originals in terms of references, set design, background droids, and sound effects.

Don't want to say any more until more people have seen it.

To me, the original has a certain purity of vision, Empire is still the most powerful, and Jedi a (mostly) satisfying conclusion. It'll take a while before I could say if this movie is better or worse than any of those.

Oh, and there was no sign of Jar Jar Binks anywhere. :)

djwaterman
12-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Of course I didn't watch it in 3D, and the cinema only had maybe fifty people in it for that session. But I tried, I really tried to like it. I will concede it being better than any of the prequels but that's low praise. Hard to be specific without giving away plot, I did think Harrison Ford was generally fabulous and had great hair but now I'm sounding flippant. Please understand this is coming from someone who thought Fury Road was rubbish.

Nicolas Jordan
12-18-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm not big on going to theaters anymore so I might wait until it hits Blu Ray or if I can wait until the entire trilogy of new movies are out as a set. Would it really make a difference if these sequels came out? They are not really part of the original story and were just created to keep the StarWars money machine going especially because Disney had to make money on the franchise. The prequels really turned me off to Star Wars and left a bitter taste.

erikals
12-18-2015, 11:10 AM
The prequels really turned me off to Star Wars and left a bitter taste.
it could only get better...

so, anyone here think that episode 1/2/3 was better than this one?

nope, haven't seen it, yet...

Megalodon2.0
12-18-2015, 11:37 AM
I watched it last night and loved it. It fit right in line with the original three movies that I loved as a kid. Great cast and it brought many new elements to the Star Wars world that made it feel fresh while still keeping true to what I loved about the first three.

Will be seeing it again soon.

Thanks for that.

I have a strange feeling I will be in the same boat. I saw 4, 5 & 6 opening day - not so with 1, 2 & 3 - I will wait a little to see The Force Awakens. The last movie I saw in a theater was LOTR Return of the King, so it's been a while. I NEED to see this Star Wars in a theater.

Markc
12-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Even though their where similarities to 'Episode 4' in the story arc, I still really enjoyed it.
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D.

JamesCurtis
12-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Plan on seeing it next week at a matinee showing with my wife and a few of my friends. I was 22 when I saw the original Star Wars in 1977!!

Dexter2999
12-18-2015, 03:06 PM
I haven't seen it yet myself so I can't point to exact points.

However, we had the discussion here at work about how some people have never seen Star Wars. (Some even it say it, like it's a badge of honor of somekind.) One British journalist was going on about how he couldn't comprehend all the hullabaloo. And my response to that is that he never will. The original was lightning in a bottle. It was cutting edge technology and the impact that level of storytelling had on young impressionable minds can't translate to modern, dare I say jaded, audiences that have become to the cutting edge in FX work.

This movie was trying to be new and old at the same time. To hear you guys talk about the similarities with the original, reminds me of the similarities J.J. had with original Star Trek movies, just with a twist. It is a tightrope act.

Also, I have long maintained that the easiest way to be disappointed with a movie is to have expectations. Getting too excited about it, is the surest way to be let down when it doesn't live up to the idea that it would "wow" you the same way it did when you were a child.

If the movie didn't suck (and there is no Jar Jar) I'll be happy.

BeeVee
12-18-2015, 03:13 PM
The story is a mix of 4 and 6 with a bit of a twist. I really liked it, although it's easy for me to be impressed having followed the original three, then being disappointed with the "special editions" and the prequels. A lot of it was too easy, bringing back the old gang and the sheer amount of nostalgia floating around, but it still made for a satisfying time spent in the cinema (holes? Of course, but the original trilogy wasn't exactly free of holes either). Of course, the screen we watched it in was absolutely full and the cheering and clapping were bound to have a positive effect on my mood :)

B

Cageman
12-18-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm going to see it on Tuesday (Ubisoft pay for the ticket). Looking forward to it a lot. Love the original trilogy, I can stand the prequels, but they did not live up to the "feel" of Star Wars that made the original trilogy work.

From what I've heard, JJA + Disney did a good job in making the feel of the movie more real (as in, more true to the originals), but managed to blend in the new stuff as well (CGI etc).

Ernest
12-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Best of the 7!

erikals
12-18-2015, 03:53 PM
J.J. was afraid to be called Jar Jar if it flopped...

m.d.
12-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Big fan...wasn't overly impressed

Movie was good, and enjoyable...but a letdown to my high expectations from othe JJ movies.
Worth seeing, but I saw it a few hours ago and already forgetting it.....wasn't as memorable as other movies I've seen this year.

IMO both star treks were better movies...more character development.

I can't go into too much without loads of spoilers....so just have to take my opinion at face value

Still worth seeing, but I wouldn't stand in line for hours to do it

I would put it ahead of all the prequels....and possibly return of the Jedi....

So it's still a great movie

Markc
12-19-2015, 11:48 AM
I haven't seen it yet myself so I can't point to exact points.

However, we had the discussion here at work about how some people have never seen Star Wars. (Some even it say it, like it's a badge of honor of somekind.) One British journalist was going on about how he couldn't comprehend all the hullabaloo. And my response to that is that he never will. The original was lightning in a bottle. It was cutting edge technology and the impact that level of storytelling had on young impressionable minds can't translate to modern, dare I say jaded, audiences that have become to the cutting edge in FX work.

This movie was trying to be new and old at the same time. To hear you guys talk about the similarities with the original, reminds me of the similarities J.J. had with original Star Trek movies, just with a twist. It is a tightrope act.

Also, I have long maintained that the easiest way to be disappointed with a movie is to have expectations. Getting too excited about it, is the surest way to be let down when it doesn't live up to the idea that it would "wow" you the same way it did when you were a child.

I love all 6 of the previous films (saw all of them at cinema on release)
I was sceptical with how 'Disney' would deliver, but was not disappointed............as soon as the opening title appeared I had goose bumps :thumbsup:

Danner
12-19-2015, 12:02 PM
This movie was designed in a board meeting, the headline for the meeting said "Make this movie like the first 3" And they took it literally.. for better or for worse.

SBowie
12-19-2015, 12:23 PM
NewTek effectively shut down at 11:00 yesterday and traveled en masse to a private screening (what a cool company this is!). I saw the original in the theater back in the day, and part of the enjoyment of this outing was probably nostalgic - but it was great, really enjoyed it. Good entertainment for aging boomers who can be fully satisfied with something that doesn't pretend to be more than that.

LW_Will
12-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Oh, and there was no sign of Jar Jar Binks anywhere. :)

HEY! No spoilers! ;-)

Really liked the movie. Not so sure I loved it. Will be seeing at least two more times.

Loved Ren, really liked Finn, but why does he have an american accent when Ren does not?

Han. Wow. And Chewie is a character with feelings and insights. Who knew? ;-)

It was a great film. A definite JJ approach to the visuals, great effects in general, in case anyone forgot why we are here.

pinkmouse
12-19-2015, 03:16 PM
...A definite JJ approach to the visuals...

So one or two lens flares then? I don't think that will be much of a spoiler! :D

SBowie
12-19-2015, 03:19 PM
HEY! No spoilers! ;-)I'm not sure "no Jar-Jar" is a spoiler ... maybe more of an un-spoiler?

I'm definitely going to want to see it again, but at home on my own screen and with my own popcorn next time.

hrgiger
12-19-2015, 03:21 PM
I liked it but personally I thought it tried a little too hard to pay homage to the original. Some might not see that as a bad thing considering the significance of the original trilogy but it came off feeling almost like a reboot, or retelling of the same story, despite the return of some of the original cast members in their aged roles.

m.d.
12-19-2015, 04:28 PM
I liked it but personally I thought it tried a little too hard to pay homage to the original. Some might not see that as a bad thing considering the significance of the original trilogy but it came off feeling almost like a reboot, or retelling of the same story, despite the return of some of the original cast members in their aged roles.

couldn't agree more....literally the exact same plot, with a few twists thrown in

kyuzo
12-21-2015, 03:58 AM
HEY! No spoilers! ;-)

If I'd told you that Jar Jar gets decapitated by BB-8, THAT would have been a spoiler.. ;)

I thought Chewie got more personality in this movie than he had in any of the other films. Great to see. And it really is Han's film. And deservedly so.

I think people forget that Lucas' intent with the originals was to retell classic, simple fairytale legends but in a sci-fi setting. They were never meant to be Shakespeare. They're enjoyable romps with a few plot twists and cool visuals.

lardbros
12-21-2015, 06:46 AM
I watched it last week and, maybe because I was expecting to be disappointed, but I loved it!
It felt like the originals, far more than the prequels, it felt gritty, dirty and I liked the angsty, teenage, emo new baddie dude.

It wasn't perfect, I felt some of the acting could have been better... but it entertained me, made me feel all nostalgic and I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan either.

Anyway... maybe the hype and years of expectation has made it turn out diappointing for some, but I totally missed all of the trailers, and avoided the hype... and enjoyed it immensely.

BeeVee
12-21-2015, 12:42 PM
We saw it last wednesday in a screen full to the brim (some 550 seats I think) and the atmosphere was great even if the film hadn't been up to much. The fact that it *was* up to much was a bonus :D There was too much nostalgia, even down to the fact that the film is in three parts - one desert, one snow and one forest; and that the story was a bit of a retread from the first and third movies (4 and 6), but it was impossible not to cheer when you saw some of the things on display and hear some of the dialogue. If nothing else, then in relief that this film is not like 1, 2 and 3. Not the best film of the year then, that honour remains with Victoria for me, but pretty good.

B

Lito
12-21-2015, 02:22 PM
I liked the movie but honestly I was disappointed in the story. It's hard to really recapture the feeling I had when I saw the original trilogy because it was new and I had never seen anything like it before. It definitely blew away those terrible prequels, but I think the problem with the force awakens was it felt too much like they were repeating episode 4. I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it, but towards the end all I could say to myself was, "what the .... again?" I walked away feeling like it is a good attempt at a Star Wars movie, but couldn't stop thinking I saw episode 4 again. I can't stop thinking this movie would have gotten terrible reviews if not for the prequels which were so bad that any half decent attempt would get accolades.

prometheus
12-21-2015, 02:47 PM
I think people forget that Lucas' intent with the originals was to retell classic, simple fairytale legends but in a sci-fi setting. They were never meant to be Shakespeare

Darn it..you think:D then I missunderstood it all :)

Actually ..the star wars saga brings up primordal myths and way of living to choose good and bad, and in fact in a deeper sense within a theme we all can recogniz..and have been fascinated about in other movies as well, itīs a reciepe that canīt fail if done right, and the two first movies did that.

I reckon I was in the perfect age to be brainwashed in to this great myth saga, think I was 12-13 years when it premiered.
The first was..wow..never seen anything like that, and I was captivated with the fantasies, space, ships, laser, and the force was also a major attractive magical component..and the music etc, the second..wow, almost as good..well in fact it was better made and better acting etc..though it lacked that first impression only the first movie could make.
the third movie return of the jedi..meh, it started to become a muppet show, though there was some iconic great scenes here and there.

the later movies episode 1.2.3 etc..well to much bad cg and to much thrown it and a lot of muppet stuff...not for me, maybe it worked for that generations 12-13 year old kids, the number 3 episod of palpatine seducing anakin and the final body split scenes and anakin left there burning etc..those where the best parts...sort of key moments when the journey towards the dark side is started and completed.

Havenīt seen the force awakens yet..gonna go and see it soon I think with my nieces 24 and 30 years old..but they need to do the homework and watch each episode before..which they havent, doubt they will find this movie attractive for them or the other movies..not with the same impact it had on my when I was a kid..and my nieces arenīt kids anymore:D I am however still having a bit of the childish fantasy mind intact.

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5328/29/16x9/960.jpg

Michael

wesleycorgi
12-21-2015, 05:20 PM
I think how much "baggage" you bring into the movie taints your perspective. I remember talking to a colleague who was 15 years my junior, how much rubbish the prequels were. He responded, "the prequels were my 'Star Wars'; so I love them because it was what I saw on the big screen when I was a kid."

After watching The Force Awakens, I asked my son and daughter, how they would rank this against the other six. They both said this was the best one ever. This was the first time they saw a Star Wars movie on the big screen.

I personally like the blending of the old and new. I was skeptical coming in, but with the first note of John Williams score, I was hooked. And each time I saw a tie-fighter, I was blown away about how cool they looked. Now I'm looking forward to the next two chapters and Rogue One.

MAUROCOR
12-21-2015, 06:29 PM
I just watched and I loved it!!! I think they prepared the field to explore much better the sequels. But I really liked it! Actually I didnīt wait too much, my expectations were low and to me that one is a million times better than the prequels.

adrian
12-22-2015, 02:55 AM
I watched it in 3D Imax yesterday and I give it 9/10 - loved it almost completely. I grew up with the original trilogy. I liked the new characters and maybe it was because I was watching in 3D Imax but found it to be a completely immersive experience. I agree that large elements were re-jiggings of the first three, I thought they did it in a captivating way. However I also know people who were really disappointed with it. Guess it goes to show you can never please all of the people all of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I watched it in 3D Imax yesterday and I give it 9/10 - loved it almost completely. I grew up with the original trilogy. I liked the new characters and maybe it was because I was watching in 3D Imax but found it to be a completely immersive experience. I agree that large elements were re-jiggings of the first three, I thought they did it in a captivating way. However I also know people who were really disappointed with it. Guess it goes to show you can never please all of the people all of the time.

lightscape
12-22-2015, 04:17 AM
The thing with this movie. There's no parts of it that's worth watching again.

Phantom menace with its horrible acting and the creation of one of the most annoying characters on earth(jarjar) still have a lot of really good parts that's worth watching again atleast 3 times. The music is great, fight scene was epic with darthmaul, eyecandy was not bad.

With Awakens I can't say I want to watch any of it again as much as I did phantom or empire or return.

kyuzo
12-22-2015, 04:26 AM
I don't want to go too far off topic, but it's been mentioned how the younger generation prefer the prequels... I really, really wanted to like them, but they were terrible films for so many reasons. For years, I couldn't articulate how or why, then I saw Red Letter Media's review... It's very funny, very sweary (definitely not safe for work) but does an excellent job of dissecting the Phantom Menace, not as a star wars movie, but as a movie in general.
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

As for character development in the Force Awakens, there is very little character development in the original Star Wars either. Leis is pretty much unchanged. Han is still a scoundrel, but at the end he is less mercenary, and fights for something other than himself (though this is debatable, as he was attracted to Leia, so he still had selfish reasons. Had the senator they rescued from the Death Star been a wrinkly old dude, I doubt Han would have stuck around at Yavin after loading up the Falcon with his reward...)
Luke got the most development, and had a journey of enlightenment, that finished with a single action that confirmed what Ben had told him about the force.
The character development in The Force Awakens is also limited, but the new characters are just being introduced. The next two movies will delve deeper into what makes them tick, and confront them with difficult choices.

lightscape
12-22-2015, 04:43 AM
I actually liked the prequels, too, except for the godawful acting and annoying characters. There's always fasforward button.

The one thing I liked in Awakens is BB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCq-_7wtDCg

Free 3d model by Dean Wright.
http://getwrightonit.com/bb-8-in-london-short-film-and-free-3d-model/

tyrot
12-22-2015, 05:05 AM
still no security cams . ;)

glebe digital
12-22-2015, 05:27 AM
Who else here finds the polarized Good v Evil / 'Hero's Journey' stuff just intensely boring? Different when I was 10 and seeing 'A New Hope' in the cinema when it came out, but perhaps you're of an age when one is naive enough to go along with it. For me it all just lacks any degree of plot sophistication and you're just left with 'pew pew!' and light sabre nostalgia. But that's Hollywood I guess; no risks.....just give the masses what they want, good v bad + CGI eyecandy and a happy ending, albeit one that's always 'to be continued'. Rinse, repeat etc.

Sorry fans!

RebelHill
12-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Captain, is our new super weapon battlestation fully operational?

Yes, sir.

Excellent!.. Just to check, there are no chutes or tunnels or anything else leading to the main reactor this time, are there?

No, sir.

Excellent.

The main reactor is located right on the surface this time, sir.

Excell... what?!

djwaterman
12-22-2015, 05:45 AM
Ha ha, that's funny.

I don't know if what I'm about to say constitutes a spoiler, I don't think so but just in case.

SPOILER ALERT!
SPOILER ALERT!
SPOILER ALERT!

I'm pretty sure there was an unusual amount of hugging going on in that film, like if people had just met each other, the next time they meet they hug like soul mates, even the bad guy sort of got a hug. It was quite the hug-fest. Not something that ruins the film but it was odd how much it happened.

Amurrell
12-22-2015, 05:50 AM
The film for me was above average, but had several eye-rolling "I've been here before" moments. One BIG one for me that gave me a feeling of disappointment, and it seemed to run in fits and starts. But I do like the attempt at story telling over effects so...

souzou
12-22-2015, 05:53 AM
This is quite interesting and answers some questions about the backstory that aren't clear in the film.

**WARNING a whole fleet of spoilers**
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-questions/

That clears up a few niggles. Still doesn't excuse the plot regurgitation.

prometheus
12-22-2015, 08:13 AM
Who else here finds the polarized Good v Evil / 'Hero's Journey' stuff just intensely boring? Different when I was 10 and seeing 'A New Hope' in the cinema when it came out, but perhaps you're of an age when one is naive enough to go along with it. For me it all just lacks any degree of plot sophistication and you're just left with 'pew pew!' and light sabre nostalgia. But that's Hollywood I guess; no risks.....just give the masses what they want, good v bad + CGI eyecandy and a happy ending, albeit one that's always 'to be continued'. Rinse, repeat etc.

Sorry fans!

havenīt seen it yet, so not sure wherer the focus is in this movie, but itīs not about the good VS evil for me..itīs the land in between where everyone has the choice and can choose either the better part or decline in morality..give in to fear and hatred etc...the rest of it as battles etc is just a filler to the story for me.
But sure..I get fed up with lasers here and there in over excesse, I rather watch scenes where the drama goes about to show situations that are putting people in to hard choices, and when it describes power etc..like when palpatine tells anakin about Darth plagueis and reveals an alluring, seducing way of looking at life...then further in that "revenge of the sith" when anakin understands he is the sith lord..and palpatine feels his anger and says they should embrace the dark side..thatīs the only way to save his loved.

things like that ..same goes with the scenes in empire strikes back when dart vader just chopped luke skywalkers hand and reveals he is his father.

same goes when yoda first meets skywalker and trains him...those scenes are the most memorable which lifts the saga above just being scifi-war battles etc.

bazsa73
12-22-2015, 12:12 PM
I liked this movie. The amount of action made it somewhat confusing though, I just couldn't get clearly why certain character's motivation changed from one attitude to another or why were they acting as they are, and sometimes I lost continuity, must have been a side effect of too much action I guess but still. I liked Rey, Finn and Poe. Han and Chewie were just themselves, actually they were the stars of this movie, they carried on the heritage, Luke looked like a homeless dude waking up from a very deep slumber of booze. Kylo Ren was a lamer dude. Too weak to be a badass dude. Vader was bad cos

Dexter2999
12-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Still haven't seen it yet. Most of my friends have. They mostly complain of a lack of character development. I had to point out that character development suffers when you have too many characters in a movie. It is a time constraint thing and how much screen time each person gets. There is only so much you can do. Most* characters in movies with more than five characters tend to be "thin". (You build the character over a franchise or a mini-series/ TV series.) And this movie was trying to bring back five characters from the original films and introduce more. Expectations need to be lowered.

I hope the "fan service" has been mostly accomplished with this film and the next ones let the new characters shine.

To those who were disappointed, I'm sorry, I hope you hang in there for future installments.

*Note I said "Most" not "All". You can find exceptions of course.

ernpchan
12-22-2015, 04:51 PM
I enjoyed it. There were somethings I was disappointed in.

For all the hype of Captain Phasma she didn't do anything.

Considering all the secrecy around Lupita Nyong'o's character I expected a more fantastical character design and not a basic biped humanoid. She was basically a short old Asian lady (I get to say that, I'm Chinese).

I didn't get to see any Ewoks. :grumpy:

I didn't mind the repetition of destroying the Star Killer with the same 'trick'.

It's Star Wars...enjoy it for what it is.

Things could be worse...you could be watching the next Chipmunks movie. :D

Davewriter
12-22-2015, 08:27 PM
I liked it. Just didn't Iove t.
The characters are fun and I think the humor really helps hold things together.
At least, until... Harrison shows up and all but makes it his film. All in a good way.
I was most put off over the coincidence factor.
Dang! They've got that dailed up to 11!
There was a sense that there was a Top 5 list of what the fans most liked about the other movies - then it was given to us again, only Bigger and LOUDER!
The whole Millienium Falcon taking off with Tom Cruise hanging to the outside, shouting for Bennjie to open the dorr simply felt too familiar.
John Williams is credited with the score. But I got the idea he farmed it out. I was missing the grandure, the awe that he had brought to the earlier films. Some of the animated shows sounded far better.
It's a good start to a new trillogy.
It just never made me want to hide in the theatre and instantly watch it again.
Certainly not like what Empire did for me.

Every4thPixel
12-23-2015, 02:52 AM
I didn't like it a bit I felt a sleep 3 times. Well... the only bit I liked was the quality of the vfx but other than that I don't understand what all the fuzz is about.

kopperdrake
12-23-2015, 04:43 AM

You've pretty much summed up my comment on another forum :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
12-23-2015, 07:15 AM
I haven't see it yet but I'm really really hoping for some interesting story telling and relationship building between the characters. I'm sure the film has pretty pictures but it's the transition from shot to shot and interesting dialogue that will really engage me. I'm actually expecting something very similar to StarTrek into darkness where the story is super dull and the success of the film is being wagered on old nostalgic character names, very nice fight scenes but no real character development. I guess this is because the audience is expected to already know these characters and how they react to situations. This is boring because the characters have now become too predictable. I like the idea of this new SW movie mainly because the main heroes are new and hopefully less predictable and not clones of their parents. I like it when I am pleasantly surprised which comes about 1 time out of 20.

I liked the original 4,5,6 films a little but only because SW does have a very nice core-premise to bounce off of with its family orientated drama between Luke, Leia and their dark father. Seeing how the other characters and "the force" influence this relationship to develop is what kept me engaged (yes the light sabers did help to illuminate the intensity between these relationships ;) ) even if I wasn't aware of it at the time. I hope I see something this interesting in the Abrams film. Episodes 1-3 aren't even worth talking about.

probiner
12-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Pros: Very competent production. Likable new characters. Effective at washing the bad taste of the prequels. Fun.
Cons: Many conveniences. Confusing back-story/environment. The story is only mildly enticing. It's a soft reboot and it takes a lot from the other movies, so the next one will need to lift off on its own. It's just a marketing front to start another money mill (Hey Disney....).

Davewriter
12-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Just as a minor thing - If you were fan enough to read any of the books done in the last 15-20 years, Yoh Yoh!
George had (several times) said that the novels were canon. There's an entire branch of Lucasfilm just to track an ride heard over the printed adventures.
But this new film those just bout all of that "Offical" storytelling out the window.
Such a waste!

lightscape
12-26-2015, 01:13 AM
Just as a minor thing - If you were fan enough to read any of the books done in the last 15-20 years, Yoh Yoh!
George had (several times) said that the novels were canon. There's an entire branch of Lucasfilm just to track an ride heard over the printed adventures.
But this new film those just bout all of that "Offical" storytelling out the window.
Such a waste!

Yeah episode 7 apparently didn't follow the book according to a geeky friend of mine. Now I'm interested to actually read the book and hopefully its A LOT better than this movie.

djwaterman
12-26-2015, 06:09 AM
I got a lot of enjoyment watching this talkshow interview, Carrie Fisher is awesome and John Boyega has a charm that wasn't apparent for me in the movie, I think he's going to be great in some other film. Ridley is obviously a star. Anyway, seems all you have to do is turn up to the Graham Norton show and the comedy takes care of itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcXJXNSy4fk

lightscape
12-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Nice starwars commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Gy_PU3SSk

cresshead
12-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Yeah episode 7 apparently didn't follow the book according to a geeky friend of mine. Now I'm interested to actually read the book and hopefully its A LOT better than this movie.

movie was okay...has lot's of exciting action scenes, characters were okay..plot was a bit thin on detail.....""we'll bust in there a sort out the new huge death star III...no need for a plan of the base...just 'wing it'....yeh...good idea.

HMM!...and harrison should have just used his indianna jones move and shot the kid with the red stick thing!
music score was 'audio wallpaper' no great themes in this movie..more like paint by numbers.
plot was a mish mash of 'greatest hits' from the other 3 movies...JJ played it really SAFE except for the red stick death scene.

erikals
12-28-2015, 01:11 PM
lightscape  The thing with this movie. There's no parts of it that's worth watching again.

Phantom menace with its horrible acting and the creation of one of the most annoying characters on earth(jarjar) still have a lot of really good parts that's worth watching again atleast 3 times. The music is great, fight scene was epic with darthmaul, eyecandy was not bad.

With Awakens I can't say I want to watch any of it again as much as I did phantom or empire or return.

cresshead  music score was 'audio wallpaper' no great themes in this movie..more like paint by numbers.
plot was a mish mash of 'greatest hits' from the other 3 movies.

+10

also for a billion dollar movie, maz kanata (played by lupita nyong'o) was quite cgi-ish...

pleasantly surprised by Daisy Ridley playing Rey

GandB
12-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Loved it. It was also a pleasure to see the entire audience get into a movie. I haven't been to one like that in a long time.

prometheus
12-30-2015, 12:37 PM
just watched it today, agree with some others, not spectacular ..would probably rate it as 3.4 or 3.5 in a scale of 5, where the very first movies star wars and empire strikes back gets a 4.8 maybe, return of the jedi..3.3 maybe....episodes 1-2... I would rate at 2.8 and 2.8 and the episode 3 at 3.1 maybe.

I thought the vfx was way better this time than the 1,2,3 the set extensions looking much better, ships too...I would have to agree with erikals on the maz kanta wich looked way to cgi-ish though.

fighting laser duels was better since it was arranged more around actual fencing than just swinging the effects around and no extreme jumps either really..so that was more realistic and better to see.

as erikals menitoned about Daisy ridley playing rey..she did that most excellent..charming and with scene presence indeed.. that was important for a lead role.

Harrison..great performance indeed.

I also liked the guy who played finn..so those three lead characters was doing a good jobm, not sure about kylo ren though.

the plot..well, a bit too predictable and in the same shoes repeat of the older plots.

I enjoyed it though it isnīt a master piece..I thought it was a bit slow in the beginning..only somewhere in the middle it picks up some pace.

Music..nah, nothing special and memorable in this area this time around from john williams.
Not dissapointed..not overly excited either, it was a god show though though, and it might work as starter for another episode if they can evolve a bit on the plot.
The only thing I might have been dissapointed with..that was not having Mark Hamill in there more than he was..way to little of him, so they need to give him more time in a following movie if possible.

some of the audiences gave it some applauses...would have taken some more for me to that though.

kyuzo
01-02-2016, 04:08 AM
fighting laser duels was better since it was arranged more around actual fencing than just swinging the effects around and no extreme jumps either really..so that was more realistic and better to see.

Totally agree. As a martial artist who actually does Japanese fencing (not kendo) it was a relief to see realistic techniques, instead of the over-choreographed nonsense that was in the prequels.

lightscape
01-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Totally agree. As a martial artist who actually does Japanese fencing (not kendo) it was a relief to see realistic techniques, instead of the over-choreographed nonsense that was in the prequels.

The force is real so are lightsabers. :D
As Harrison Ford said to the new actor on piloting a ship It’s fake. And it’s in space, so none of that applies, really.

kyuzo
01-02-2016, 12:37 PM
The force is real so are lightsabers. :D
As Harrison Ford said to the new actor on piloting a ship It’s fake. And it’s in space, so none of that applies, really.

Ha ha, yeah but han solo said it was all true... ;)

But seriously, if you have a weapon with a handle at one end and a blade which you have to slash or thrust the other guy with, while preventing them from hitting you, the basic principles are the same.

jasonwestmas
01-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Just watched the other night. Hard to judge it as a whole movie because it isn't a whole move but a very small section of one. (As opposed to episode IV which was intended to be a complete movie in case the others wouldn't be made). TBH not much happened in this more modern film at all and I found that to be boring. The film really was just a small awakening that happened and not a large one.

But I will say that the RETRO appeal of all the designs in the film was VERY pleasing and fun to look at! Nothing was done sloppy and it all worked. A few of the fight scenes (especially with the millennium falcon) were fun to watch.

I was toward the back of the theater watching in 3D and personally I think I would have been more drawn into the visuals if it was a 2D film and sat closer.

Character development was very weak and it does have the same formula kind of feel that JJ Abrams used for the star trek films to introduce characters. As a whole I felt like I had already seen this movie, it's as if they took snippets from the other SW films and just changed everything around slightly.

Spinland
01-03-2016, 04:07 PM
I enjoyed it as an escapist experience and a fresh go at the Star Wars "thing" that drew me in back in 1977 as a boy of 16. I agree the plot seemed in many ways a retread of Episode IV. I took that as, not a weakness, but rather an homage. That plus the throwback use of practical sets and the nods to the original Ralph McQuarrie designs struck me as a statement: Star Wars as you remember it from prior to the forgettable prequels is back, and here is your refresher course.

Maybe I'm just being an apologist because I grew up considering this franchise to be the definition of space opera, but there it is. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this new take on the franchise develop.

Addendum: I deliberately avoided the "3D" version. If your film cannot stand on its merits without such a gimmick I am not interested. IMNSDHO "Avater" was the only film in recent memory that made good use of the 3D schtick and it also unfortunately spawned the predictable raft of schlock from people who don't get that "3D" is a tool and not a crutch. No, not saying "Avatar" was high concept cinema, far from it, but they got it right as to how 3D should fit into the story.