12-17-2015, 02:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyGlkOUpH4

I wish we had this for LW...

Surrealist.
12-20-2015, 08:21 AM
That is amazing. Thanks for the share.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2015, 10:57 AM
??? Is this a commercial plugin for Blender? (It certainly should be.) I couldn't find where one purchases it.

Wickedpup
12-20-2015, 11:30 AM
https://gumroad.com/l/hardops/

jeric_synergy
12-20-2015, 12:03 PM
https://gumroad.com/l/hardops/
Tnx! So it's five measly bucks??? 5$??? That is nuts. Makes me wish I used Blender.

Surrealist.
12-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Makes me thankful I do. Years working with only Blender paid off.

Always nice to come back to ol' Blender for great modeling features. Using it all the time for modeling this and that.

To the OP though. I have no idea about the LW SDK to know if you could even code something like this for Modeler. People would eat it up though.

In the mean time the best free plugin for LightWave, Blender. ;)

jeric_synergy
12-20-2015, 01:01 PM
In the mean time the best free plugin for LightWave, Blender. ;)
Seriously. I don't know how well the pipeline between the two works, but, DAYUM.

I mean: meshes are a no-brainer, right? No issues? I'd guess that Surfacing would be a much greater challenge to port across.

Surrealist, are you purchasing this plugin?

Surrealist.
12-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Already bought and downloaded. That exact kind of modeling is a bulk of the work I actually do. Haven't been hanging around the Blender forums lately and missed it.

Materials don't really port across from any app as I have found it. Material assignments do. You can also import/export from Blender though FBX as well as obj, and a few other formats. Blender also imports/exports .mdd. I believe someone was also working on an Alembic Blender exporter, though it has not shown up in vanilla Blender yet. Not sure what the status is. Blender also imports .lwo though I have not really tried it.

Basically Blender is in my pipeline pretty much on a daily basis along side all of my Autodesk apps. I use it exclusively for baking certain maps, go to for certain modeling jobs, uv mapping and so on. If other artists are using up my AD licenses and I need to model something, I'll just hop into Blender. And now, if things were not confusing enough, I am experimenting with adding LightWave back into the mix for rendering.

Fun with juggling. :D

But my philosophy is I use the app that is going to give me the fastest the best result given the task at hand. With more time in the day I'd add Modo Indie to get my hands on Mesh fusion and a few other things.

Slightly off topic, but if you ever need to do retopo:

https://cgcookiemarkets.com/all-products/retopoflow/

have not bought it yet, but it is in the queue so to speak.

prometheus
12-20-2015, 04:42 PM
sweet stuff...
also just noticed blenders new volumetrics with cycles for clouds, will post a link to that in another thread.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Materials don't really port across from any app as I have found it. Material assignments do.
By this, do you mean that labeling of polys is solid, but actual surfaces are a non-starter?

(To me, a LW Surface is just a way of labeling a poly, that happens to point to a bunch of texturing functionality.)

Surrealist.
12-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Right yes. Basically whatever you call it in any app. The assignment of geometry - whatever that may be - to a slot to which can be connected attributes or operations. In LW of course there is a lot more you can do with a surface assignment than assign a Surface for rendering. It is available for many things.

But yes. This is the only thing that transfers consistently. You can transfer image and UV map assignments to Surfaces/Materials on a channel by channel basis. The best format for that I have found is FBX. And it can be a good starting point if you did that work in another app. Usually if I am planning this I don't work that way. I wait and assign images in the host app I'll be rendering.

Most of the time though my assets live in folders and are not being transferred from app to app so much as being accessed by more than one app or process.

I'll give you an example. I might have done all of the UV mapping on an object once the modeling is completed. If it needs material assignments, this decision is made now. And then it exported and sits in a folder.

Then that asset will be loaded into a baking app such as Xnormal to bake some maps, loaded into Blender to bake other mapps, loaded into dDo to paint on etc.

Then when all of the image maps are done, it will be loaded into the final app, say LightWave for rendering.

If a character asset it will have been also loaded into Maya (if not modeled there to begin with) for rigging and then sent to MotionBuilder for animation. Facial animation would be done in Mudbox, so again the same asset is loaded into Mudbox to make facial morphs. And then those are saved out to make Blend Shapes. Same could be done in LightWave of course, but I prefer sculpting morphs. Anyway....

The point is these assets are really just source material for processes.

In my pipeline, (under current testing anyway) the end of the line for textured fixed assets would be Lightwave where textures and materials would be set up for rendering. Animation assets via Alembic.

Long winded answer. But suffice to say for me it is never a simple transfer, there is so much going on, I have come up with this basic workflow.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Very much appreciated: my needs are so simple I've never had to do such a complex process, so it's good to have it mapped out. :thumbsup:

djwaterman
12-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Definitely worth spending some time getting to know Blender with these sort of add-ons, that retopology tool is ridiculous. I guess we should also mention Bsurfaces that has been added to Blender for a while now.

https://vimeo.com/26339130
http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/16204/where-is-the-bsurfaces-project-living-now

erikals
12-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Blender Hard Ops

...looks cool...
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?387735-Hard-Ops-Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX6r_CzGl1E

http://i.imgur.com/5gW8sQH.png

djwaterman
12-21-2015, 12:25 AM
This must be a Ngon type workflow right? Like Catmull-Clark result.

safetyman
12-21-2015, 05:24 AM
I bought this addon the other day -- very excited to use it. I've also been using an SVG export addon that works great for my job and the two of these together will greatly enhance my stuff.

allabulle
12-22-2015, 09:23 AM
I bought it too, seems nice and inexpensive. Includes some videos too.

CharlieL
12-27-2015, 01:40 PM
This looked so interesting and useful that I also bought it. I want to test it
and hopefully it will speed up my modelling. A pity it was only made for Blender.

jeric_synergy
12-27-2015, 02:04 PM
This looked so interesting and useful that I also bought it. I want to test it
and hopefully it will speed up my modelling. A pity it was only made for Blender.
When you get up to speed I'm sure we'd all like to hear your review of it. (::drooling, but not a blender user::)

CharlieL
12-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Yes, I have to make a reminder in my calendar. I have not either used Blender a lot, but I thought
I must test this to see if it I can improve my modelling.

12-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Me, too.
It suggests that a few on this forum would pony up for such a tool were it for LW.

I shut down Modeler tonight to give this thing a go in Blender. I will make me much more acclimated with Blender tools, as per all those who have said: don't wait, educate.

I looked at Sensei's tools; they look so outdated as compared to this One tool.
Robert

lightscape
12-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Robert

Maybe Sensei should create tools for blender. Maybe he'll make millions with it. :D

12-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Doubt that.
His Spline tool is still quite valuable and that is the most Trick tool in his arsenal.

I'm waiting on the day when python coders start porting some of the Blender tools over to LW. Most of those tools are written in readable code that potentially can be ported to LW.
Yeah, I know, LW's limitations might be something of an impediment but python is able to mitigate and go outside LW to complete its task.

This tool is really something else. As well, the way it has incorporated Blenders' tools and behaviors is to be admired. LWCAD is the one tool that comes to mind when it comes to new, more user-friendly selection capability.

probiner
12-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Awsome. Plus animatable I guess. Thanks for the share.

jeric_synergy
12-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Robert
It's possible that the same effects are simply not possible in the LW SDK. Esp. as relates to interactivity.

12-28-2015, 05:35 AM
Ya know, Jeric,
I don't care any more. My desire for LW to meet such needs have been thoroughly abandoned.
I recognize/accept that my lust for such things won't change things. My ability/willingness to learn the new will.

I am looking forward to what the next incarnation will be as the previews have been exciting. This will tide me over until then.
Robert

jeric_synergy
12-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Frankly, it looks like a great excuse to learn Blender. The best add-on ever for LW.

GraphXs
12-28-2015, 01:08 PM
That is sweet looking, I wonder if 3rd Powers could add some of those functions to his tool set. I don't see why it couldn't be added to LW. I really like the edge Boolean effects it does.

jeric_synergy
12-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Am I remembering correctly that this is a purely Python Blender add on??

There must be much more access to low level stuff in Blender vs. LW. :cry:

erikals
12-28-2015, 04:45 PM
That is sweet looking, I wonder if 3rd Powers could add some of those functions to his tool set. I don't see why it couldn't be added to LW. I really like the edge Boolean effects it does.

send em' a link http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

GraphXs
12-28-2015, 06:59 PM
I did :thumbsup:

colkai
01-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Bought this as soon as I saw it, for $5 would of been daft not to.
As someone who does mainly non organic modelling it's a real boon for me, the speed at which you can get stuff done is great and his videos are very clear on how he handles his workflow and clean up, not to mention quite entertaining. :)
If you use LW alongside blender, providing you stick to 'base' material naming in Blender, it will import / export LWO files which is a bonus. (Personally, I find the modelling toolset in Blender to be capable of anything LW can handle, though I do miss LWCAD. :) )

GandB
01-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Just bought it two days ago, it's now went up to $15. Still worth it. Better get it before it goes up again!

Amurrell
01-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Been looking closely at a bunch of Addons for Blender. Was bummed when the deformation tools didn't work like LW, but there is a set of tools that does just that called mira Tools.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?366107-MiraTools
http://blenderaddonlist.blogspot.com/2015/05/addon-mira-tools.html

For HardOps you need the bool tool. The latest version of the BoolTool has some incorrect labeling of the functions in the menus if you like a menu over shortcut approach. I fixed the code, so if anyone would like it, let me know.

jeric_synergy
01-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Bought this as soon as I saw it, for $5 would of been daft not to.
I don't even use Blender and I'm regretting not jumping on that wagon.

Lito
01-07-2016, 01:29 PM
I regret I didn't get it for $5 I kept putting it off, but I just bought it anyway for $15 now. I figure might as well. Now I just have to sit down and figure out how to use blender then hardops. :)

colkai
01-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Lito, if you need to ask any questions, I'm over on the BlenderArtists forum with hte same username, plus I'm on facebook, so feel free to PM me there. Don't want to risk getting kicked for takling about Blender on these forums. It's pretty easy to get to grips with both to be honest, but happy to give you the heads up on what made my transition easier. :)

Waves of light
01-08-2016, 10:30 AM
It certainly makes for a sound case to go off and learn Blender. Wow.

colkai
01-08-2016, 10:59 AM
It's fair to say, it makes modelling rather fun! Been a while since I could say that, (LWCAD coming out for LW was the same :) ). It's nothing you technically couldn't do without the addon, but workflow wise, it's a joy.

safetyman
01-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Built this as an exercise using the addon...

RudySchneider
01-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Oooooohhh, pretty. What happens when I turn THIS knob?

01-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Very nice box.

gerry_g
01-10-2016, 04:06 PM
is that a cross platform set of compiled scripts or is it Windows only, anyone on a Mac running it ?

jeric_synergy
01-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Your impressions?

- - - Updated - - -

is that a cross platform set of compiled scripts or is it Windows only, anyone on a Mac running it ?

I thought Blender scripts were Python.

Vong
01-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Yup, it's Python! So it's cross platform.

I've used it on both Mac and Windows machines. Just not enough... :(

safetyman
01-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Oooooohhh, pretty. What happens when I turn THIS knob?

A bunch of Cenobites arrive to tear your soul apart.

safetyman
01-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Your impressions?

It makes modeling non-organic things like machinery quite easy if you know your way around Blender. It's fun to play with -- I just have to figure out what I want to model. There's a tool in there that makes modeling holes in other objects child's play, and there are quite a few pre-built pieces for things like screws and bolts. There's nothing in that picture that I had to model from scratch except the basic cube I started with.

spherical
01-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Sweet. What is it's potential use? Early Flux Capacitor?

Should've jumped on the bandwagon when the add-on was at its original price. Didn't expect a price hike so soon; and at 3x, no less. Granted, still reasonable for what it does, but the vid showed little but the one or two operations over and over. Is that the extent of it?

Surrealist.
01-10-2016, 09:07 PM

Wow! Nice one.

prometheus
01-11-2016, 12:14 AM
I Just watched a bit more of the hard ops vids, Impressive..is that on ly 15 usd right now? (18,75 vat included) that would almost be a non brainer in such case, though I still want to catch up a bit more in blender before I would purchase.

just spent some days getting to know the blender UI and operations, starting to become a bit more comfortable with it, will probably change shortcuts to match lightwave shortcuts for standard translate operations etc.

Been fiddling a bit with the skin modifier and..
I really enjoy the sculpting tools..didnīt thought it was at that level..so it is quite nice, starting to think that If I am in a rock modeling session, I would go with that instead of messing with lightwaves modeling tools for it, been messing with a bit of both since I really like the dp rock procedural..so I would for instance cut out pieces in blender (love that cut tool that lets me cut freely a polygon, strange we donīt have that sort of knife tool in lightwave) so I cut and split in two pieces, extrude it, run a subdiv on it a few times, then add a displacement modifier with fractals in blender, apply it, then continue to sculpt with dynotopo..send it over to lightwave and perform som addition sizing in modeler with texture falloff set to the rock procedural..depending on I reduce poly + and metaform it to get lower resolution of the rock, but still maintaining the main shape.

will probably try and stay on focus to work with the model tools for a while in blender, itīs nice additional tool it seems that I unfortunatly havenīt had the patience to lear before...then I will start lookin in to the other tools with texturing, rendering and the dynamics, liquid fluids, and fire and smoke fluids.

Still prefer the viewport configuration and staging, rendering stuff in lightwave, I really hate the viewports in blender, would be nice if it had a maximize toggle on each viewport when in quad mode, so you can pick exactly wich one you want.

djwaterman
01-11-2016, 12:44 AM
It seems to produce ngons, is there an easy convert to quads and tri function for it?

prometheus
01-11-2016, 01:14 AM
It seems to produce ngons, is there an easy convert to quads and tri function for it?

what is producing ngons? hard op tool or sculpting?

sculpting tools doesnīt do that by default, if you have applied a subdiv modifier, you should probably always make sure to apply it properly, and in the wire display of the object(check the cube icon for that) you need to set wireframe and also draw all edges, otherwise it just looks like it has ngons.

with the non modifier tool subdivide, it divides to quads too...but I have heard it is better to sculpt after triangulation .(ctrl-t)..and if you want quads you could go ctrl-f for faces menu and use the tri to quads command, also available in mesh menu/faces/triīs- quads.

So I reckon you were talking about hard ops?..I do not know the tool, but in that case..they might have some remesh there...otherwise simply ctrl.t, then select all faces and go tri-to quad in the faces menu.
There is also a remesher modifier you probably could appply taking care of that, Modifier/generate/remesh.

Surrealist.
01-11-2016, 01:58 AM
Still prefer the viewport configuration and staging, rendering stuff in lightwave, I really hate the viewports in blender, would be nice if it had a maximize toggle on each viewport when in quad mode, so you can pick exactly wich one you want.

I have not used Blender quad view pretty much ever. And now since your comment I went to look at it. Actually I am not sure of the advantage if any based on their fairly poor attempt. In fact I rarely use quad views. I find myself just wanting one view or another, and Blender makes that a snap. But if you want one, all you need to do is create your own quad view once and save it as a preset. To do that click the plus sign next to the view presets window, it is "Default", by default. Once you have this new one, name it Quad. Drag out 4 views and by now you probably know the short keys, just make them top side and front to your liking. Now you have a quad view. And you can jump to a view as you wish with the normal shortcut of ctl up arrow which also acts as a toggle in and out of that view.

prometheus
01-11-2016, 03:19 AM
I have not used Blender quad view pretty much ever. And now since your comment I went to look at it. Actually I am not sure of the advantage if any based on their fairly poor attempt. In fact I rarely use quad views. I find myself just wanting one view or another, and Blender makes that a snap. But if you want one, all you need to do is create your own quad view once and save it as a preset. To do that click the plus sign next to the view presets window, it is "Default", by default. Once you have this new one, name it Quad. Drag out 4 views and by now you probably know the short keys, just make them top side and front to your liking. Now you have a quad view. And you can jump to a view as you wish with the normal shortcut of ctl up arrow which also acts as a toggle in and out of that view.

Thanks for the tips, though I really prefer to sometimes work in side view and see be able to see how it changes in other viewports, and also being able to choose different types of viewport shading displays in quad views, not sure I can do that in blender? seems to be global.

not sure I am getting you correct, I can toggle to a certain viewport with dedicated shortcut in blender? that would mean a shortcut for each different viewport, while in lightwave I just click on the maximize icon in which ever viewport I want to use, for me that is a better workflow than having to assign shortcuts and also keep track of shortcuts amongst all other shortcuts.

So this is one area I prefer to have it the "lightwave way"

I love the flexibility about changing the UI in blender and see it update on everything at once though, rather than the horrible ways we have to go through to customize lightwave UI unfortunatly...they really need to do something about that soon..the UI color plugin is nice..but really, it shouldnīt be there and it isnīt fully configurable either.

Itīs great to be able to set small stuff like the colors of polylines when in editing mode using the skin modifier, and at the same time be able to see the wire color changes of the polylines, and being able to change colors on it while still modeling.

If there was no real use of four quad views, no one should have put them there from scratch, I indeed believe they are important for how you would choose to approach modeling...a problem with blenders UI..perhaps, is it leaves very little space to have the quad views working in full glory, you would have to close the other panels, or choose another model scheme that helps with that..but then you might be loosing out with model menus...with lightwave it is pretty optimal since the main menu and tool menu is cleaner and smaller by default.

Michael

Surrealist.
01-11-2016, 05:22 AM
Well like anything it starts with being familiar with the environment you are in.

I agree there should be a workable quad view. And also that there are things that are better in LW Modeler.

But regarding what I pointed out, ctl up arrow is the short cut key for making any window you are in full screen. And also for toggling it back to your view. The "quad view" they constructed, is in my opinion, lame, to put it mildly.

Just like LightWave Modeler you can make up your own viewport with your custom settings. Blender comes with a few default set ups for different tasks. You can also add your own. And save this preset as I have described. You can also save your favorite set up as a start up file that opens every time you open Blender. Just choose File/Save Start Up File and it will save the scene you have open as a start up file.

So create your quad views, save it as a preset or don't, up to you. Save it as a start up file, done. Eveytime you open Blender it opens in your quad view. No custom shortcuts to make nothing. It all works by default.

If you open a scene someone else created you can choose not to open the UI by unchecking it when you get the dialog. This way you always get your favorite.

I think it is important for people to have an interface they want. I don't need a quad view but nice to have when you want it.

safetyman
01-11-2016, 05:22 AM
I'm like Surrealist (and from what I've seen, most other Blender users) in that I never, ever use a quad view. It just slows me down to have to look at multiple things at once, rather than just switching between whatever view I want with the numpad keys. Just personal preference. When I discovered that you can "break out" of whatever view you're in by just using the middle mouse button... that really sold me on using Blender as my main modeling app.

Anyway, in answer to Spherical's question: Here is a screenshot of the main tool panel for HardOps:

I won't go over each tool, but you can see that it has quite a few functions that make modeling mechanical-looking things easier. The main function is the boolean operations, which slice and dice your model up and add a bevel in one operation, with options to adjust the bevel on the fly. It has options for both object mode and edit mode, depending on which mode you're in and which objects are selected.

HarverdGrad
01-11-2016, 05:40 AM

I'm the opposite. I think the Blender Viewports are much more flexible (at least with a two monitor setup).
I can pop-out Viewports and drag to a separate monitor. I don't think you can do that with Lightwave.

I also appreciate being able to change the Font size in Blender so when I'm working on a 14'' laptop, I can actually read the menu items.

Also.. having this has been helpful: https://cgcookiemarkets.com/all-products/bookmark-view/

There's youtube video's that walk you thru the power of the Viewports. They were very helpful to watch as going into the ViewPorts for the first time- can be difficult.

prometheus
01-11-2016, 07:12 AM
But regarding what I pointed out, ctl up arrow is the short cut key for making any window you are in full screen..

that doesnīt work for me, it just collapses my timeline...8~

prometheus
01-11-2016, 07:17 AM
I'm like Surrealist (and from what I've seen, most other Blender users) in that I never, ever use a quad view. It just slows me down to have to look at multiple things at once, rather than just switching between whatever view I want with the numpad keys. Just personal preference. When I discovered that you can "break out" of whatever view you're in by just using the middle mouse button... that really sold me on using Blender as my main modeling app.

Anyway, in answer to Spherical's question: Here is a screenshot of the main tool panel for HardOps:

I won't go over each tool, but you can see that it has quite a few functions that make modeling mechanical-looking things easier. The main function is the boolean operations, which slice and dice your model up and add a bevel in one operation, with options to adjust the bevel on the fly. It has options for both object mode and edit mode, depending on which mode you're in and which objects are selected.

doesnīt slow me down, in fact I feel it to be a must to be able to see the tweak and changes of topology carried through and see those changes from all sides possible...While tweaking, otherwise I would probably discover topology being wrong after I check it in different viewports with shortcuts, that is for me a slower workflow..If I select something in right view and wants to move it strictly straight in one direction but keeping an eye on exactly how much in perspective view..that is something you can not do with a single view, closest would be in perspective view and constrain move in the direction you want..but that needs a gizmo handler to use or keeping in mind the shortcut for constrain move and make sure you move the mouse correctly...simpler to use quad views in my opinion.

discover the break out? well.my discovery is that it doesnīt do anything for me(nothing happens with the middle mouse..so what other actions is needed? and I really donīt like UI constructions that you need to find out or have to discover or learn too much in order to get going, to put it, it is simpler to learn lightwaves viewports than blender...sure it may offer a good workflow once you learn it.

I am also annoyed with blender that some of these shortcuts do not work unless standing exactly in the viewports, if I happen to have the mouse in some other panel...I canīt maximize for instance.

Surrealist.
01-11-2016, 07:58 AM
We all have a different workflow and I don't see the point of arguing it one way or the other. For me it is just an aside, how I like to work. And that is the end of it. I don't mean it to be a challenge or to say that you can't have it your way.

I think you can have what you want, and yeah it is maybe different to learn. That is something I can understand. I have had to learn a lot of apps in the last few years. It is challenging.

So to be clear here are some shortcuts that will help you:

n for numeric panel. In old versions of Blender this pulled up a floating panel just like in LightWave. In new versions it brings up a panel on the right. You can also close the panel manually by dragging it shut to the left. Or open in manually by clicking on a tiny little plus sign on the right top of the viewport.

t for Tools, opens and closes the tool panel on the left. You can close it and open it manually in the same way.

Now that gives you a more clutter free window.

Alt f9 toggles the bottom shelf of icons.

f10 toggles a completely free viewport with no menus or shelves. Some of these shorts can be found in the View Menu.

The ctl arrow key gives you the window you are in full screen and hides other windows.

Understand that the timeline is actually a window. As are the Outliner and the Properties panel. So this shortcut gives you one window full screen. That is why you are losing the timeline.

Lito
01-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Ctrl +Alt + Q = Quad View
I need it also so it was the first thing I had to find. :)

I highly recommend going to the Hardops 006 intro guide web page. For the blender newbie like me the video at the bottom of the page is indispensable. The link is in the Hardops Addon interface Ctrl+Alt+U then search for Hardops then click on URLs and there are buttons in there where it will open a browser to a guide page. The intro guide helped me a lot with getting up to speed in blender, though I am far from knowing it well. Here is a direct link. (https://masterxeon1001.wordpress.com/hard-ops-intro-guide/)

MichaelT
01-11-2016, 08:30 AM
CTRL+ALT+Q -> Quad view
And again to get back.

I use both LW and Blender, they complement each other quite well. Although I would like if LW 2016 have taken notes from Blender regarding edge handling (Ironically I find using edges in Blender more intuitive, not so much jumping around in tabs etc..) and the ability to use a brush to model with (kind of like z-brush) There is an open source version here: http://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl in case they need inspiration (Hint: MIT license ;D) Source code is here: https://github.com/stephomi/sculptgl

prometheus
01-11-2016, 09:15 AM
We all have a different workflow and I don't see the point of arguing it one way or the other. For me it is just an aside, how I like to work. And that is the end of it. I don't mean it to be a challenge or to say that you can't have it your way.

I think you can have what you want, and yeah it is maybe different to learn. That is something I can understand. I have had to learn a lot of apps in the last few years. It is challenging.

So to be clear here are some shortcuts that will help you:

n for numeric panel. In old versions of Blender this pulled up a floating panel just like in LightWave. In new versions it brings up a panel on the right. You can also close the panel manually by dragging it shut to the left. Or open in manually by clicking on a tiny little plus sign on the right top of the viewport.

t for Tools, opens and closes the tool panel on the left. You can close it and open it manually in the same way.

Now that gives you a more clutter free window.

Alt f9 toggles the bottom shelf of icons.

f10 toggles a completely free viewport with no menus or shelves. Some of these shorts can be found in the View Menu.

The ctl arrow key gives you the window you are in full screen and hides other windows.

Understand that the timeline is actually a window. As are the Outliner and the Properties panel. So this shortcut gives you one window full screen. That is why you are losing the timeline.

Thanks for the tips. n for panel..didnīt know, I used to simply click on the small plus icon :)
t..I know of, also how to close and shut panels..

but why isnīt ctrl arrow working? as you say it is suppose to work, doesnīt matter in wich of the four quad viewports I work in or have something selected, ctrl arrow will not give me a full window of that viewport, it only closes the timeline window...and the right side panels to make the quad viewports bigger, but it wonīt give me the singel viewport I am currently in??
Maybe we misunderstand each other here, what it actually do is just maximize the viewports as they are, meaning, if I have a quad view..it closes all panels to maximize as much as possible of the quad views, or if it is a single view..but it doesnīt let me select which viewport...for that I need the shortcuts?

prometheus
01-11-2016, 09:24 AM
CTRL+ALT+Q -> Quad view
And again to get back.

I use both LW and Blender, they complement each other quite well. Although I would like if LW 2016 have taken notes from Blender regarding edge handling (Ironically I find using edges in Blender more intuitive, not so much jumping around in tabs etc..) and the ability to use a brush to model with (kind of like z-brush) There is an open source version here: http://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl in case they need inspiration (Hint: MIT license ;D) Source code is here: https://github.com/stephomi/sculptgl

I have already re-mapped ctrl+alt+q to the q key, to messy with so many buttons..so itīs one of the first things I did, makes no sense for me to have a shortcut f(q)or closing the software..when I am not doing that so often..better to spare the shortcut for frequent commands, which toggle is for me.
Doesnīt solve the fact that I can not choose viewports from the quad view, only by mapping to shortcuts I reckon..donīt like that.

yes..blenders edge handling seems better, bevel works on it as well as on faces as you expect, also love the brush sculpting tools...and much much more, but other things make me go..Grrr.
The 3d cursor..is there a way to turn that off? also a bit put off that I so often have to check wireframe per object.

jeric_synergy
01-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Just to clarify: are Blender hotkeys cursor-sensitive the way that LW hotkeys are, in regards to vuports?

That is: in LW the ZERO key (numpad) maximizes the vuport the cursor is over. Is this the same in Blender, or do you have to do something heinous like 'activate' (click) a vuport to make it the one that hotkeys address?

IMO, cursor sensitivity is one of the subtle-ish things that make LW a fast work environment, and decrease the amount of clicking, which is already excessive (but in line w/industry standards I believe).

MichaelT
01-11-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the tips. n for panel..didnīt know, I used to simply click on the small plus icon :)

but why isnīt ctrl arrow working? as you say it is suppose to work, doesnīt matter in wich of the four quad viewports I work in or have something selected, ctrl arrow will not give me a full window of that viewport, it only closes the timeline window...and the right side panels to make the quad viewports bigger, but it wonīt give me the singel viewport I am currently in??
Maybe we misunderstand each other here, what it actually do is just maximize the viewports as they are, meaning, if I have a quad view..it closes all panels to maximize as much as possible of the quad views, or if it is a single view..but it doesnīt let me select which viewport...for that I need the shortcuts?

There used to be a plugin that did that but it hit the performance badly. Blender kept trying to render it, causing massive updates. So no luck there. I seem to remember there is a plugin that actively moves it out of view though. Can't remember the name. But I have learned to ignore it is there. But yes... it really is in the way when you don't need it. Hmm... maybe ALT+F10 is what you wanted then? (Fullscreen & Maximized view) (The quad keys work for that too)

Another tip is to use SHIFT+F when in camera mode (Key 0 - numpad) It will let you move the camera in 1st person. Select new position when clicking on the left mouse button. (the move keys work in perspective mode as well. It is a nice way to get around in the scene. Please put this in LW 2016 guys)
If you are in cam mode, then pressing HOME will maximize the camera, so you don't have that safe area border.

colkai
01-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Once you get used to the split / join ability of Blender wndows and the numpad shortcuts for view selection, quad view, for me, rapidly becomes a waste of screen estate. Tip: ctrl+numpad gives you the opposite sides, Shift gives you alignment based on the selected object / face.
When I first started, i got obsessed with 'needing' my LW style UI,but now find navigating much more intuitive.
Regarding the 3d cursor, once you understand its use, you will stop cursing. ;) I was exactly the same, it drove me nuts, but once you start snapping geometry and treating it like a floating pivot point for transforms, it really becomes very useful. If you want to slide an edge or vertex, instead of pressing 'g' to move, press 'gg', when tidying up this is very handy with auto merge turned on.

MichaelT
01-11-2016, 11:50 AM
I actually don't use quad view in LW either.. most of the time :)

@prometheus: Bevel actually works on vertices as well in blender, and that is super useful.

jeric_synergy
01-11-2016, 11:54 AM
It always takes me a while to get RE-used to the 3d cursor, but it's quite useful for the reasons Colkai mentions. When I revert to LW, I miss it.

prometheus
01-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Once you get used to the split / join ability of Blender wndows and the numpad shortcuts for view selection, quad view, for me, rapidly becomes a waste of screen estate. Tip: ctrl+numpad gives you the opposite sides, Shift gives you alignment based on the selected object / face.
When I first started, i got obsessed with 'needing' my LW style UI,but now find navigating much more intuitive.
Regarding the 3d cursor, once you understand its use, you will stop cursing. ;) I was exactly the same, it drove me nuts, but once you start snapping geometry and treating it like a floating pivot point for transforms, it really becomes very useful. If you want to slide an edge or vertex, instead of pressing 'g' to move, press 'gg', when tidying up this is very handy with auto merge turned on.

I really have my doubts about the 3d cursor, I just want it to go away, found out that I could use it to snap geometry to center point by going a ridiculous way of centering an object, isnīt there a simple F2 for center object at origin and F3 for center at floor?
even though I might find the 3d cursor useful for some snapping later, it distracts my focus from other items, same goes with starting a model session with camera and lights in the scene..distracts focus, so it will take a while before I get used to turn them off in the outliner, or some other shortcut way or start with a modeling scheme set to have it off.

colkai
01-11-2016, 12:21 PM

@prometheus: Bevel actually works on vertices as well in blender, and that is super useful.
CTRL+B for bevel edges, CTRL+Shift+B for bevel vertex, that one caught me out at first, kept selecting a vertex and ctrl+B. :p

Instant circle, take a cube, subdivide, select the middle vertex, CTRL+Shift+B, roll the mouse wheel to get your segments, or click the mouse and use the panel. with the faces stil lselected, 'F' to make one face. 'W' for specials Looptools -> Circle. You need the looptools addon active for this, (I have the function mapped to a shortcut, but hard ops will do all of that with selecting a vertex and selecting a single option. There are so many things like this which make hardOps a joy to use.

prometheus
01-11-2016, 12:23 PM

weird, to me ctrl b for bevel do not work on vertices in blender, I get to initial line ctrl..but it doesnīt do a bevel.

- - - Updated - - -

CTRL+B for bevel edges, CTRL+Shift+B for bevel vertex, that one caught me out at first, kept selecting a vertex and ctrl+B. :p

as you mentioned and as I discovered, I might remap that, I hate 3 button shorcuts, how is one suppose to carry out the operation with one left hand, use the right hand ..when your having that right hand busy with your hands on that (mouse) :)

MichaelT
01-11-2016, 12:26 PM
CTRL+SHIFT+B for vertex bevel (like mentioned above) :)

and E for extrude & I for inset.

prometheus
01-11-2016, 12:30 PM
There used to be a plugin that did that but it hit the performance badly. Blender kept trying to render it, causing massive updates. So no luck there. I seem to remember there is a plugin that actively moves it out of view though. Can't remember the name. But I have learned to ignore it is there. But yes... it really is in the way when you don't need it. Hmm... maybe ALT+F10 is what you wanted then? (Fullscreen & Maximized view) (The quad keys work for that too)

Another tip is to use SHIFT+F when in camera mode (Key 0 - numpad) It will let you move the camera in 1st person. Select new position when clicking on the left mouse button. (the move keys work in perspective mode as well. It is a nice way to get around in the scene. Please put this in LW 2016 guys)
If you are in cam mode, then pressing HOME will maximize the camera, so you don't have that safe area border.

meh...I donīt like that shift+f, I just get lost in navigation with it.. rather use perspective and just middle mouse move around the model..which I by the way find much nicer than alt mouse rotate in lightwave modeler, if there was a config setting to change that in lightwave, I wouild.
In lightwave layout I often track in my view position and then use perspective to cam when I find a nice spot...in blender I would probably just use align/view/aligne active camera to view.

prometheus
01-11-2016, 12:35 PM
CTRL+SHIFT+B for vertex bevel (like mentioned above) :)

and E for extrude & I for inset.

yes..those I know, e is always there and no mind change from lightwave since itīs almost the same, though it is extend in lightwave and and inset we do not have, though the consistency of the blender tool inset and bevel is better in blender..in lightwave we have to bevel, and we can not perform bevel on edges or vertices, it should really work as in blender on points and edges...instead we have chamfer or rounder for it, and inset should be a tool for inset stuff..not use a bevel tool to inset...very old conventions and toolset indeed, maybe to hard to break that workflow?

prometheus
01-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Oh and welcome MichaelT, another michael from sweden, and stockholm too...havenīt seen you around here before.

MichaelT
01-11-2016, 01:40 PM
:) Thanks.. I am not new to 3D however. I have always been connected to it, in some shape or form. But never in a private capacity before (until now) I've been mostly programming. But used to work as a Senior graphics artist in the UK, for a game company in Nottingham (Concept art, Modelling & Animation)

HarverdGrad
01-11-2016, 02:21 PM
..same goes with starting a model session with camera and lights in the scene..distracts focus, so it will take a while before I get used to turn them off in the outliner, or some other shortcut way or start with a modeling scheme set to have it off.

Start a blank scene in Blender.
Hide and/or remove your light
Hide your camera.
From the File Menu, click "Save Startup File"

From now on, when you start Blender, it will load a blank scene with your hidden light & Camera.

You can customize just about anything in the default scene using the "Save Startup File"

prometheus
01-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Start a blank scene in Blender.
Hide and/or remove your light
Hide your camera.
From the File Menu, click "Save Startup File"

From now on, when you start Blender, it will load a blank scene with your hidden light & Camera.

You can customize just about anything in the default scene using the "Save Startup File"

yes..thanks I knew that of course..back in my head..but..havenīt gotten around to do that.

Surrealist.
01-11-2016, 06:14 PM

To be sure, I am not talking about the prefab, joke of a quad view Blender ships with. That lives in one viewport. Stupid. Which would explain what you see.

Go back and have a look at my first or second post on it and I describe how to make your own "proper" quad view. It is a bit of a hack, but I think it will give you more of what you want.

colkai
01-12-2016, 02:56 AM
I really have my doubts about the 3d cursor, I just want it to go away, found out that I could use it to snap geometry to center point by going a ridiculous way of centering an object, isnīt there a simple F2 for center object at origin and F3 for center at floor?

Oh it's much more than that, yes, it can be a 'centre point', but you can snap it to anywhere, so select some geometry, snap the cursor to that, and that becomes your "focal point" for adding new geometry, or any transforms when you set your pivot point to the 3D cursor. Regarding camra and lights, I have mine set on their own layer and also have my render settings and a group of materials which I have saved as my starup file. I agree, coming in 'cold' you try to force Blender to be LW and work the same way, but once I "unlearned" a couple of things, I found I could work much faster in Blender and you don't need to render to check your work, just switch shading to rendered and then back to solid.
At first I also felt you had to learn a ton of shortcuts to make the most of Blender, but honestly, there's probably 5 or ten than once you have 'em, drive a vast majority of the work when modelling. :)

Surrealist.
01-12-2016, 05:11 AM
The key to learning a new piece of software is first being willing to be in the environment of that software. If you are not, you will be forever fighting the software and yourself. It is great to relate things back to any point of reference and it is always helpful. I know it helps me to always have a these familiar similarities. But beyond that it really takes looking at it head on.

If you don't you will only wind up getting to stuck places where you make conclusions you should not be making before you give the software a fair shake.

This is true with every software and Blender is no special case.

safetyman
01-12-2016, 05:35 AM
Doesnīt solve the fact that I can not choose viewports from the quad view, only by mapping to shortcuts I reckon..donīt like that.
Not sure what you mean -- you can change ANY window to any other window, like put the 3d view anywhere you want and even have multiple 3d views all over the place that are independent of each other. Just set the windows up yourself... Like this:

The 3d cursor..is there a way to turn that off? also a bit put off that I so often have to check wireframe per object. I felt the same way at first, now I can't live without it. I have a custom setup that I've been using recently where I mapped the 3d Cursor to ALT+Double Left Click, so it doesn't move unless I want it to. Works well.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 05:35 AM
Oh it's much more than that, yes, it can be a 'centre point', but you can snap it to anywhere, so select some geometry, snap the cursor to that, and that becomes your "focal point" for adding new geometry, or any transforms when you set your pivot point to the 3D cursor. Regarding camra and lights, I have mine set on their own layer and also have my render settings and a group of materials which I have saved as my starup file. I agree, coming in 'cold' you try to force Blender to be LW and work the same way, but once I "unlearned" a couple of things, I found I could work much faster in Blender and you don't need to render to check your work, just switch shading to rendered and then back to solid.
At first I also felt you had to learn a ton of shortcuts to make the most of Blender, but honestly, there's probably 5 or ten than once you have 'em, drive a vast majority of the work when modelling. :)

that is not quite correct regarding, no need to render, in fact you do render by swithcing to shading to rendered, pretty much equally the same as using vpr in lightwave, I have no doubts One might find the 3d cursor useful for what you said, what is bad however...I want to turn it off and not distract me..and if the display or preferences can not have an option to let me do that..then it should really be implemented.

The key to learning a new piece of software is first being willing to be in the environment of that software. If you are not, you will be forever fighting the software and yourself. It is great to relate things back to any point of reference and it is always helpful. I know it helps me to always have a these familiar similarities. But beyond that it really takes looking at it head on.

If you don't you will only wind up getting to stuck places where you make conclusions you should not be making before you give the software a fair shake.

This is true with every software and Blender is no special case.

Agree to some extent..but not all, if you are not willing to be in the "environment of that software" I would be fighting the software and myself forever...donīt think so:D
..in such case I would close it down and continue with whatever software gives me the better workflow..I recognize a bit what you say, one need tolerance..sure, Ivé tried max,modo,maya,houdini, carrara,truespace, blender etc....all of them have their special ways of doing things, that doesnīt mean they are static and should continue with the same setup...same goes with lightwave..it shouldnīt be fixed on this is how it always has been...then we wouldnīt see any improvements.

Thereīs always thresholds to overcome when using new software..but there are also limits for what one like or accept etc...I am not saying my annoyance with these blender topics here are at that level...donīt think so..even if it sounds like that
Heck..Ivé been ranting for a simple rectangular marquee selection in modeler for ages, you know what...we will get it in lw 2016 :)

Whatīs important perhaps..the option to choose how your UI can be configured to work for you.. as well as shortcuts and navigation.

I have no issues if there is a 3d cursor, if I only had the option to turn it of from being visible somehow..the quad vieww? who knows, In time I might accept it or think it works better, though I doubt it..have never liked sketchups approach to that either.
I could also simply adjust to it being like that..without it being too much annoyance, but still have the opinion that the lw quad view style is better.

Edited...no one of you guys mentioned anything about turning cursor on off, just how you changed your minds and finds it useful....well, I did a search...so I should be able to turn it off in preferences, I am not the only one finding it distracting...

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?243932-Hiding-3D-Cursor

prometheus
01-12-2016, 05:45 AM
Not sure what you mean -- you can change ANY window to any other window, like put the 3d view anywhere you want and even have multiple 3d views all over the place that are independent of each other. Just set the windows up yourself... Like this:

I felt the same way at first, now I can't live without it. I have a custom setup that I've been using recently where I mapped the 3d Cursor to ALT+Double Left Click, so it doesn't move unless I want it to. Works well.

Yes you can change any window to another window..style..but that isnīt what I am saying is it? I am saying you can not select (standing working in one viewport in the quadview) and use ctrl arrows to maximize that viewport in to a single viewport...in the same manner as with lightwave, or in something similar to that..clicking the maximize icon..in lightwave quad viewports to make that viewport single and maximized.that is a completely different thing than just setting up your own custom windows

at least no one here has mentioned a way to do it like that, maybe there still is a way?(havenīt gone through the hack surrealist posted though)
. what you are describing is just customizing your own viewports ..that will not let you selectivly choose your desired viewport to be maximized by a choice from any one of the quad views.

Sorry for some misspelling if you guys see it..my keypad is about to fall appart it seems, some buttons fail when pressing them..so letters might be missing here and there...huh.

colkai
01-12-2016, 06:01 AM
Actually, ctrl+UpArrow will expand whatever viewport your mouse is over to full screen, I think ctrl+space does it too but I'm not at my pc at present so can't check that.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:03 AM
About the 3d cursor...I tried to disable it..didnīt work, might need to offset itīs location way away from my working area perhaps..but there are people finding it distracting like me, guess it depends on how you like to work..but if feels weird you simply can not make it hidden in that display menu where you can set itīs location.
I reckon I should enter the blender forums and suggest it..it will not harm those who really finds it useful, it will merely be an option to make more users happy with blender.

Form blender forums...
"

I understand wanting to hide the cursor however I wouldn't recommend it. It becomes an invaluable tool for snapping and pivoting. I rarely set it manually by left clicking however I use the shift+s menu frequently. It allows you to perform transformations that would otherwise not be possible.
It`s not about disabling the 3d cursor. It`s about having it in the way all the time, even when you don`t need it, even when it heavily disturbs. Like for texture painting. Like for weight painting.

I use the 3D cursor maybe ten times a year. Which shows how vital the 3D cursor for my workflow really is. The rest of the time this little rascal resides at the screen, and is disturbing me. I know of lots of other helper things that i use regularly. When everything would act like the 3D cursor, staying permanently onscreen and disturbing the view, then there wouldn`t be any space for modeling anymore.

"

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, ctrl+UpArrow will expand whatever viewport your mouse is over to full screen, I think ctrl+space does it too but I'm not at my pc at present so can't check that.

no it doesnīt...not for me, it just collapses the right menu and the timline menu and make All quad views larger, not mazimizing the viewport I want, but I have to read up what surrealist mentioned..but this is not working by default.

colkai
01-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Just checked, Ctrl+Space doesn't work. By the way, when I say any viewport, that is if you are NOT using the Quad 3D setup, which is "locked". However, I created my own quad 3d setup and have that as my default, that then will work. It's only a minute or so to create your own quad View.
Start with hte default single screen, click and drag the smll window chveron down so you have two views, now drag both of those left and you have 4. Set up the views as you see fit, clockwise from topleft mine are similar to LW, Top Ortho, perspective, Right Ortho, Front Ortho. Save this as your startup file. Any one of those views can now be expanded and collapsed.

Enhanced 3D Cursor AddOn, http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/Enhanced_3D_Cursor (Allows hiding apparently)
You can also manually set the 3d cursor position to something outrageous then disable it.
User Preferences.
1.User Preferences>Input>3D View>3D View(Global)>Set 3D Cursor(clear the check box)

One caveat with that, if you accidentally set your pivot point to 3D cursor, expect som, ahem, dramatic results. ;)

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:17 AM
Just checked, Ctrl+Space doesn't work. By the way, when I say any viewport, that is if you are NOT using the Quad 3D setup, which is "locked". However, I created my own quad 3d setup and have that as my default, that then will work. It's only a minute or so to create your own quad View.
Start with hte default single screen, click and drag the smll window chveron down so you have two views, now drag both of those left and you have 4. Set up the views as you see fit, clockwise from topleft mine are similar to LW, Top Ortho, perspective, Right Ortho, Front Ortho. Save this as your startup file. Any one of those views can now be expanded and collapsed.

Enhanced 3D Cursor AddOn, http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/Enhanced_3D_Cursor (Allows hiding apparently)

yes...will probably have to do that...but I think it sucks, donīt get why they donīt implement that better from scratch..but thatīs the way it is and one should adapt and overcome :)
things like that is reasons I sort of just opened blender and closed it many times before..there are Initial UI setups that isnīt providing a by default good environment in my opinion...itīs another thing that you after learning it..can set it up quite flexible as you want.

Thanks for the UI workflow advices

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:31 AM
got it working with the viewport hack now..and the ctrl arrow keys, ..but I still donīt like it...it means I can not use the toggle key..which I mapped as q, that would only give me a quad viewport within the quad viewports, and ctrl arrow keys forces me to drop the mouse and use two hands ...Or use the ctrl key at the right hand side of the keybord..which means moving my hands away from the workflow of keeping them on the left hand side and ctrl key shortcuts used over there...obnoxius...am I not.:D

another thing about the viewport hack..I also got all the editing icons in the split screens of the viewport..not sure one could hide that?..it is distracting.

there is a reason I like the way lightwaveīs viewport works as they do...unfortunatly, Lightwave misses the coolness of blenders skin modifier and the sculpting tools.

colkai
01-12-2016, 06:37 AM
I agree, the 'quad view' is lackng, to be honest, I'd wager most folks build their own, don't know why it is that way, maybe a legacy thing like a lot with LW. The problem with default layouts is, they are seriously subjective things. I build my own sets and work from there, the only time I'll use a default layout, (or copy thereof) is if I am following a tutorial to learn a new part of the program. As I mainly model, I tend to stick with either a single viewport with T/N toolbars active, or my personal quad view, or 3-view layout. The side bar always having outliner and properties open. Feel free to pester me over at Blender Artists if you need a sounding board. :)

- - - Updated - - -

another thing about the viewport hack..I also got all the editing icons in the split screens of the viewport..not sure one could hide that?..it is distracting.

Alt+F9 when over a viewport hides that viewports header/footer as a toggle. Found that the hard way when I accidentally pressed it and wondered where the heck it was! :p

I love the modifier stack in Blender when modelling, by the way, quick tip learned from HardOps, Alt+C and "convert to mesh" will collapse and apply all modifiers applied to a mesh, beats clicking 'apply' on each one. :)

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:41 AM
I agree, the 'quad view' is lackng, to be honest, I'd wager most folks build their own, don't know why it is that way, maybe a legacy thing like a lot with LW. The problem with default layouts is, they are seriously subjective things. I build my own sets and work from there, the only time I'll use a default layout, (or copy thereof) is if I am following a tutorial to learn a new part of the program. As I mainly model, I tend to stick with either a single viewport with T/N toolbars active, or my personal quad view, or 3-view layout. The side bar always having outliner and properties open. Feel free to pester me over at Blender Artists if you need a sounding board. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Alt+F9 when over a viewport hides that viewports header/footer as a toggle. Found that the hard way when I accidentally pressed it and wondered where the heck it was! :p

I love the modifier stack in Blender when modelling, by the way, quick tip learned from HardOps, Alt+C and "convert to mesh" will collapse and apply all modifiers applied to a mesh, beats clicking 'apply' on each one. :)

Thank you..I was actually about to look in to where collapse all modifiers were..now you found it for me, thatīs good...thanks.

I realized..to make life easier for me, since this was a hack of viewports, you canīt use q (my remap of ctrl-q) to toggle, and ctrl-arrow isnīt my ideal shortcuts..and it should be maximize area, not toggle..that means remapping maximize area to q instead..and it will be smoother workflow for me.

Still got to solve why my 3d cursor shows when I unchecked it in preferences, and changing location of it to extreme values would just screw up adding new items.

Also needs to find something equal to center object as lightwave does it with f2, and f3?

Alt f9 for toggle header..Ahh...thanks

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Arhhg...I have saved my viewport configs as startup files...then i tried to start a new scene..and all my setup is gone...:bangwall::bangwall:

I donīt want to fight the UI like this.

Surrealist.
01-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Make sure you click on that little blue dialog. I have seen this happen while training people. It is easy to miss. So it is ctl u or select it from the menu, and when the blue dialog comes up, make sure you really clicked it and did not miss it. It goes away if you move your mouse from it. And if that happens you really did not save anything.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Make sure you click on that little blue dialog. I have seen this happen while training people. It is easy to miss. So it is ctl u or select it from the menu, and when the blue dialog comes up, make sure you really clicked it and did not miss it. It goes away if you move your mouse from it. ANd if that happens you really did not save anything.

what blue dialog?, do you refer to saving startup save file? in such case mine is violet :) due to changes in UI colors, but I reckon thatīs what you ment...and yes...itīs easy to miss, had to redo the viewports, and made sure to save it out..seems to work now..for how long will see.

Any advice on how to center an object at the origin..without the 3d cursor? if possible?

colkai
01-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Depends on if it was created at the origin. Check the numeric panel, location, zreo in all. If you shift+click and drag across the 3 input fields, you can input 1 and it will flood the others.

jeric_synergy
01-12-2016, 08:49 AM
@[email protected] There already is a 3d rectangular selection in Modeler, in fact, there's two.

I don't feel an actual attempt is being made to use Blender here, just an effort to make it work like LW.

colkai
01-12-2016, 09:03 AM
The thing that drove me nuts about the marquee in LW was, you still had to open the statistic window and select something, rather than the marquee selecting whatever mode was in action. Of course, I'm talking 9.6 and prior here, dunno if that has since been addressed.

djwaterman
01-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Andrew Price's latest list of 12 addons for blender. Hard Ops didn't feature, but it's a good list.

http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/12-useful-blender-addons-everyone-should-use/

Marander
01-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Andrew Price's latest list of 12 addons for blender. Hard Ops didn't feature, but it's a good list.

http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/12-useful-blender-addons-everyone-should-use/

Thanks for the list, very interesting!

By the way, the Hard Ops plugin comes with many examples and videos (see screenshot), really nice for $5 (or now $15). And the developer offers free upgrades. There's some updates already.

https://masterxeon1001.wordpress.com/2016/01/05/hops0065update/

jeric_synergy
01-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Not true now, and I'm not sure that was ever true, I don't remember it working that way.

You can just stay in Volume mode and work with the Tools. If you wanted to switch to a different mode (Points, Polys) you'd use the stats window. --You may have had a fundamental misunderstanding of the mode.

colkai
01-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Not true now, and I'm not sure that was ever true, I don't remember it working that way.

You can just stay in Volume mode and work with the Tools. If you wanted to switch to a different mode (Points, Polys) you'd use the stats window. --You may have had a fundamental misunderstanding of the mode.

Possibly, I abandoned LW at 9.6 for various reasons, not least of which I lost my job, but there were other factors too. I usually stuck to lasso mode for select, I'm sure I don't recall being able to do things unless I had selected them, but as I used it rarely, yes, it may have been operator error. ;)
Likewise my comment about rendering, Modeller did not have VPR back then, which I presume is similar to Blenders Rendered viewport mode.

jeric_synergy
01-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Well, TMK Modeler still doesn't have VPR, worse luck. I look forward to the day.

I complained bitterly, and you know I can ;) , when VOLUME was downgraded off the spacebar cycle-- soon enough I didn't miss it. LASSO more than made up for it, 98% of the time. It's still occasionally useful (2%?) and it still exists, just harder to find. It's ^J on my machine. --Remember there's two modes, Inclusive/Exclusive, for Polygons (and Edges?), denoted by a solid line vs a dotted line.

That last bit for the noobs who may have missed its existence.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Well, TMK Modeler still doesn't have VPR, worse luck. I look forward to the day.

I complained bitterly, and you know I can ;) , when VOLUME was downgraded off the spacebar cycle-- soon enough I didn't miss it. LASSO more than made up for it, 98% of the time. It's still occasionally useful (2%?) and it still exists, just harder to find. It's ^J on my machine. --Remember there's two modes, Inclusive/Exclusive, for Polygons (and Edges?), denoted by a solid line vs a dotted line.

That last bit for the noobs who may have missed its existence.

I would probably not use vpr in mode for direct modeling, however..sure, switching directly to a vpr mode to check the modeled piece isnīt bad.

regarding volume mode in lightwave, I use from time to time and find it useful, it is nowhere a Rectangular selection...volume mode lets restrict an area wich you would like to work on with tweaking tools that doesnīt need selection operation, like magnet dragnet..twist tool or some others, it letīs you cut away pieces of one model in a useful way in a way you would have to enter wireframe mode to do with selection..it might be harder to select a straight part where two line,poly or point segments are very close...it may of course be a personal preference, also useful to hide parts of the model.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 05:58 PM
I do not understand the reason for why one always need to have the mouse over the viewports for shortcuts to function in blender? I constantly get confused why my shortcuts donīt work, only to find out I had it over the menu panels.

I also noticed that if I use shortcuts to maximize my predefined quad viewport to any maximized viewport, it will also collapse my menu to the right, not sure if one can set it to still be there? that seems to be a problem with this.."faked" quad view/maximize approach.

In lightwave my menus stay open for acess while using any mode, or I can close them all with a shortcut.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:29 PM
sorry guys..I must be a whiner today, and going off topic from the hard ops topic...
I just go...argh with this Faked quad views, if I try to sculpt with matcap, and toggle maximise, it getīs back to a standard shaded material that I do not want, had to reset a new matcap when I had it maximized...might be helpful for anyone else at least.

djwaterman
01-12-2016, 06:33 PM
I do not understand the reason for why one always need to have the mouse over the viewports for shortcuts to function in blender? I constantly get confused why my shortcuts donīt work, only to find out I had it over the menu panels.

I also noticed that if I use shortcuts to maximize my predefined quad viewport to any maximized viewport, it will also collapse my menu to the right, not sure if one can set it to still be there? that seems to be a problem with this.."faked" quad view/maximize approach.

In lightwave my menus stay open for acess while using any mode, or I can close them all with a shortcut.

You just have to get used to Blenders funky ways, I watched people who've fully adapted speed through tasks. As much as I am amazed by Blender I still prefer the solid feel and look of LW, however, Blender is great and free plus does many thing really well.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
You just have to get used to Blenders funky ways, I watched people who've fully adapted speed through tasks. As much as I am amazed by Blender I still prefer the solid feel and look of LW, however, Blender is great and free plus does many thing really well.

Yes...of course, all that goes without saying, but just have to get used to blender funky ways, doesnīt explain why there is a reason the shortcut works that way, If I do know the reason why..it would make perfect sense, if it makes perfect sense that is:D
wondering if it is made like that without any cause for it or if it is there to avoid screwing something else up, if it is without a cause, one could argue about it not being good and suggest improvement on the blender forums about it.

Im am not argueing about blender being great, it has indeed many great stuff in there, that is why I cling on to it..but wrestling with the UI a bit, just love the sculpting tool, and skin modifier and some other modifiers.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Just realized that I can use sculpt draw with dynatopo and simply raise pixel size in the detail tab, and paint reduce the polygons, if you by any chance have sculpted with too much poly detail, so now I am not sure I would continue to use sculptris, this litterly rocks.

Lower detail size pixels, the higher the polyamount is.
Higher detail size pixels, the lower the polyamount is.

jeric_synergy
01-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Getting too generalized here IMO. Take it to a Blender board.

prometheus
01-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Getting too generalized here IMO. Take it to a Blender board.
Do we have one specific here amongs other lighwavers, did I miss it, or is it strictly prohibited and not suitable?
I see nothing wrong at all with the discussion here, neither nothing wrong with a specific section for blender, there should be one.

spherical
01-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Do we have one specific here amongs other lighwavers, did I miss it, or is it strictly prohibited and not suitable?
I see nothing wrong at all with the discussion here, neither nothing wrong with a specific section for blender, there should be one.

There is and it's a Sticky: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?119527-1001-ways-to-use-LW-and-Blender-together

colkai
01-13-2016, 01:51 AM
The reason for having to be over a viewport for the shortcut to work is pretty simple, key are context sensitive. So say you assign Alt+w to do something in the viewport, it can do one think in object mode, another in edit mode, another in sculpt mode and yet another if over the toolbars. This level of customization means you can tailor it to a workflow which allows great speed. This is something I am beginning to appreciate but again, the limited method LW used for shortcuts meant less initial confusion. To be perfectly honest, only when I stopped trying to think 'LW' when working in Blender, did things start to click. When I occasionally return to LW now, I find it confusing and clunky. As I say, head over to Blender Artists, not only are we not polluting the LW boards, even the developers are known to chime in to discussions.

Surrealist.
01-13-2016, 02:38 AM
Well yeah I think the best place to voice an opinion is over there. I mean you won't do any good here.

But it is not that bad an idea to come here for a more LightWave-centric help for Blender. From people who at least understand both and can help make a bridge.

And in general, however, posting questions there will give you far more help as the pool of Blender knowledgeable people expands of course.

colkai
01-13-2016, 05:03 AM
There are likely a few folks over there as well how, like myself, used to use LW or still do, certainly there are those using the likes of Maya, Max et al so reasonably general help. We've all encountered things with differing software packages that have given us "Huh?" moments. :)

prometheus
01-13-2016, 05:56 AM
I agree with you both colkai and surrealist, though there is something about posting here..if I do it in relation to combined techniques with blender and modo, may it be skinning stuff or sculpting and mixing with lightwave procedurals and rendering.

I found a nice workflow I think, for having a scene opened with a voxel sprite, and use rock or other hypertextures and in vpr tweak it as I want, then simply fast save it out (though it is best to render out higher res.)
but the rock procedural renders out nice with that voxel setup ..as a brush, then just load it in when sculpting and use as a texture brush, and voila you are sculpting with the dp rock procedural, though it is not tweakable within blender, you could for instance render out different rock procedurals with different scale and then mix in blender sculpting...the good thing is that I can just switch to lightwave quite fas and just do a little tweak in the voxel sprite, and it updates superfast and then just vpr save it out, switch to blender again and load that as a new sculpting brush.

I also send it back to lightwave for poly + reduction..it keeps the main shape decent and reduces on flat areas nicely, then I finally run a metaform..all those reduction remeshing steps will get the pieces...like rocks to have a nice polyflow, yet decently low in polycount.
So I love to work with both blender and lightwave in combination.

MichaelT
01-13-2016, 05:58 AM
The sculpting in Blender is great, I really hope they implement that one in LW (which is why I gave that MIT source code link earlier) I prefer LW over Blender though. Because its UI (even if it is better now than before) really is quite unintuitive, and more a case of remembering keys to get things done (In remark to having to fight the UI) But in all honestly, I am a creature of habit.. so I suppose that colors my thinking about Blender, and LW too. And 'huh' moments.. yeah.. plenty of those :)

colkai
01-13-2016, 07:03 AM
For sure, the "creature of habit" bit is what held me back from learning Blender, indeed any other package, for a while. I was just so comfortable with LW that anything else just felt 'wrong'. I think it's harder when you use multiple packages too as you have to keep them all in your head but separate. Now I only use one mainly, I find it easy, switching back to modeller is like learning it all over again, I am amazed how quickly one forgets things. Apart from LWCAD though, modellingwise, the thing i miss most from LW is the interactive falloff guides and the solid/template drill. Pretty much everything else I find as easy, if not easier in Blender, which to be honest, I never really thought would be the case, I expected to give up on it as I had done with the pre 2.5 releases, now that was one ugly UI! :)

Surrealist.
01-13-2016, 07:17 AM
I am hard core. I learned Blender 2.49 and was quite happy working with it for a few years. I waited a good long time before jumping on 2.5+ just to be sure it had matured. Then of course I never looked back.

I don't mind people discussing things here Blender related, I think it helps them get a view from people who use LightWave. Myself I just disappeared from here mostly and hung out on the Blender forums for a while as I learned it. It is a good idea to hang out on the support forums there. I think you are cutting yourself short if you don't. Just my opinion. You can only get some much help here and then people also complain when we start writing others mini tutorials in threads... lol

prometheus
01-13-2016, 07:50 AM
I am hard core. I learned Blender 2.49 and was quite happy working with it for a few years. I waited a good long time before jumping on 2.5+ just to be sure it had matured. Then of course I never looked back.

I don't mind people discussing things here Blender related, I think it helps them get a view from people who use LightWave. Myself I just disappeared from here mostly and hung out on the Blender forums for a while as I learned it. It is a good idea to hang out on the support forums there. I think you are cutting yourself short if you don't. Just my opinion. You can only get some much help here and then people also complain when we start writing others mini tutorials in threads... lol

I will most likely enter the blender forums...but I will see how much I can learn by myself and some tube vids, and harassing you guys:D
theres a backside to entering that forum..for me, it will probably mean spending more time on forums, or..I would need the dicipline to cut down time in one of them and have equal time as before:D

right now I am mostly just fiddling around with modeling, tested some smoke, and setting up some basic rendering and testing that..the depth of field in cycles seems responding very fast.

But as I feel now, well...I just prefer to use Ligtwave Layout as the stage for setting up the scene, not much in blender is giving me hope to enjoy that...might change but I donīt think so..Lightwave is the only software that I felt, this is how the stage should be..not many others comes close to that...granted, there are stuff in layout as well that could be way better..but generally that is what I feel.
neither houdini, max, maya, blender etc..has that "feel" for me.

MichaelT
01-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Personally I only use Blender for some modelling, and dealing with UV maps. The latter due to another software that required a 2nd UV layer, and I found it easier to do in Blender. But I hope you'll end up with a combination that works for you :)

colkai
01-13-2016, 12:07 PM
I love the UVs in Blender, never quite was comfortable with them in LW, then again, now I'm unemployed, I have more time to experiment, there are benefits to most things. :)

spherical
01-13-2016, 04:22 PM
I found a nice workflow I think, for having a scene opened with a voxel sprite, and use rock or other hypertextures and in vpr tweak it as I want, then simply fast save it out (though it is best to render out higher res.)
but the rock procedural renders out nice with that voxel setup ..as a brush, then just load it in when sculpting and use as a texture brush, and voila you are sculpting with the dp rock procedural, though it is not tweakable within blender, you could for instance render out different rock procedurals with different scale and then mix in blender sculpting...the good thing is that I can just switch to lightwave quite fas and just do a little tweak in the voxel sprite, and it updates superfast and then just vpr save it out, switch to blender again and load that as a new sculpting brush.

I also send it back to lightwave for poly + reduction..it keeps the main shape decent and reduces on flat areas nicely, then I finally run a metaform..all those reduction remeshing steps will get the pieces...like rocks to have a nice polyflow, yet decently low in polycount.
So I love to work with both blender and lightwave in combination.

Mind swimming with this. Can you record a vid?

jeric_synergy
01-13-2016, 07:31 PM
It's all a bit of a word salad.

Surrealist.
01-13-2016, 11:47 PM
Pretty clear. Wants to use LightWave as a source for an image to sculpt with and then bring the sculpt back into LightWave for poly reduction. You have all of those interesting procedural texture presets to work with as well. An infinite number of things you can do with texture brushes in sculpting if you are so inclined.

Nice thing is you can use Blender for baking as well. Adfter reduction in LW, just take it back and UV map it or map it in LW first.

So you could bake normal and AO maps and bring it all into Lightwave. Further you can paint with textures as well, so why stop at sculpting?

prometheus
01-13-2016, 11:47 PM
Mind swimming with this. Can you record a vid?

Planning to do that..donīt know when, I have been sitting in front of the computer doing that stuff too much now for a while, and thought I should give it a rest for some day..so not sure when, Ill probably post it in a new thread in such case .

prometheus
01-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Pretty clear. Wants to use LightWave as a source for an image to sculpt with and then bring the sculpt back into LightWave. You have all of those interesting procedural texture presets to work with as well. An infinite number of things you can do with texture brushes in sculpting if you are so inclined.

Nice thing is you can use Blender for baking as well. Adfter reduction in LW, just take it back and UV map it or map it in LW first.

So you could bake normal and AO maps and bring it all into Lightwave. Further you can paint with textures as well, so why stop at sculpting?

exactly , quite simple, it may sound harder than it is, just need to find a fast workflow of "rendering out procedural" in lightwave and then how to apply those rendered brushes in blender, for a fast setup I would go for either textrued environment or add a null with a sprite, a sprite gives that round brush falloff from scratch, then you just apply dp rock procedural in hypertexture, set the proper hypertexture value scaling etc, fire up vpr and just click on save vpr image, though for higher quality you should render out larger images in png format perhaps.

then itīs just a matter of sculpting away with that texture in blenders sculpt brush, using anchored or drag dot is very nice to place the brush displacement where you want, other brush types with noise patters are useful for actual drawing..but a rock procedural brush like this, I recommend using anchor mode.

another part is toending models back to lightwave, using reduce poly plus, nothing fancy their either, I just apply it 3 or four times, then merge triangles, then run metaform subdivide, it will yield a nice polyflow based around the indents etc...this is ideal if you focus on the main shape sculpted in blender, and might not need any higher detail from blender sculpts..then the poly plus (gemloss) will do a fine job of retaining overall shape..then you can add finer detail with bump map or normal maps.

and painting textures...yes, I havenīt even touched that yet..I will.

Surrealist.
01-14-2016, 12:13 AM
Alternatively pick up a copy of this and retopo and UV the mesh in Blender first:

prometheus
01-14-2016, 12:29 AM
Alternatively pick up a copy of this and retopo and UV the mesh in Blender first:

thanks for the resource tip, was thinking about retopo tools in blender but havenīt done any research yet.
my poly reduction workflow with polyplus in lightwave though... that is for nature rock stuff mostly, that might not need the same polyflow control as a characters face

Surrealist.
01-14-2016, 12:42 AM
Yeah I was thinking about that. Poly-reduction works pretty good for those kind of organic shapes. But for more control that add on is looking real nice. There is also TopoGun which works reasonably well.

http://www.topogun.com/

prometheus
01-14-2016, 12:54 AM
Very simple samples and no advanced sculptin..itīs not a sculpt part, just made a cut with blender knife tool, I like that one because you can cut in whatever direction you want on a poly, then split it, extrude, then a subdiv modifier, then a displace modifier with some musgrave noise, export to ligthwave then remeshing..
sample of gemloss, but also merging of triangles, before running additional metaform, this helps get a nicer polyflow I think.
we are going off topic again...huh.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131876&d=1452758036

Surrealist.
01-14-2016, 01:38 AM
Interesting stuff. Show more. :)

prometheus
01-14-2016, 01:59 AM
Interesting stuff. Show more. :)

ehh..been sitting to much in front of the computer and fiddling with sculpting and learning blender etc..will look at ways of showcasing rock creation techniques..though I am also learning myself along the process...
If I can I might be able to record something during saturday, sunday perhaps...

thought it was a nice way to simply cut from flat planes in blender with the knife tool that works as it doesn, donīt think we got a similar knife cut tool like that, then just extrude the pieces, since they are from the same main block, it sort of adapts something of what nature does when stones are broken or chipped of from larger pieces.

One could acheive similar by slicing geometry in lightave of course, or use fracture, though when I tested to simply metaform pieces from a fractured block, that didnīt yield nice results, initially the fracture algorithms isnītīvery natural in the way it cuts the pieces, however..using the old (a bit slower) crackit plugin, that will yield some nicer fractured pieces, that in fact seem to work when metaform subdividing it to give it a look of rock pieces.

then in blender of course..I did the displacement modifier and musgrave with ridge multifractal..and voronoi mode, with right scaling you can ge a nice deform that looks like a sort of lava rock, and all this is done in the modeling environment instead as in lightwave switching back and fort for adding normal displacement and freeze transform and then back to modeler, one can of course try the new texture falloffs, but that is merely a hack..you can only apply it and size it and very poor interactive control on the results compared to how blender does this kind of deformation in modifier stack and in modeling environment....so blender has a big plus account right now when it comes to rock creating objects, and I can also adjust through manual sculpting.

A poor thing about displacement in lightwave modeler, point normal mode or textured point map weighmap falloff has any recognition of any normal direction....same goes for the new texture fallof controls, you can not displace with normal displacement in modeler as far as I know...this is a bit annoying, the new texture falloff gives a decent displacement when scaling with rock procedural applied, but it isnīt deforming with reference to itīs normals..thus not exactly the same deformations.

Michael

colkai
01-14-2016, 02:56 AM
Does the decimate modifier in Blender not reduce your polys tidily? Using that with a normal bake should give you a good rock. There are a couple of tutorials on this workflow. Would that sprite as a brush thing work in LW9.6 or does it need a newer version? I presume it is just a way of creating a greyscale brush to use for displacement in Blender sculpt?

prometheus
01-14-2016, 03:48 AM
Does the decimate modifier in Blender not reduce your polys tidily? Using that with a normal bake should give you a good rock. There are a couple of tutorials on this workflow. Would that sprite as a brush thing work in LW9.6 or does it need a newer version? I presume it is just a way of creating a greyscale brush to use for displacement in Blender sculpt?

Yep...and thanks for the heads up on that, I was messing with remesh, but missed decimate, when set to planar and the proper iterations it will decimate on flatter areas it seems and keep more at other areas, then apply it and then run a subdiv modifier and you get very nice results too..very much similar to metaform.

hereīs an animated gif, was just fiddling with sculpting and wasnīt really aiming for a rock piece, but the dynatop sculpt tool is so sweet, you can choose what detail you want when sculpt hook draw or use other brushes, also you could go the revert way and reduce polys, in the brush panel thereīs also detail flood fill ..wich will fill (remesh) the object in with polydetail depending on what detail size you set..that is sweet.

regarding lw 9.6, the principles might work, not sure about the rock procedural and if hvīs will have acess to that, but I think so...the issue there in lw 9.6, you do not have any vpr, wich means you can not tweak interactivly as nice, maybe if you have VIPER open, but you can only tweak in 640x480 resolution..it may be enough..and then when satisfied, render a full image in final render...but the process is slower..but I think definitly doable...think vpr is faster too than viper.

hereīs the decimate sample...animated gif...hope you can see the steps., the advantages of this in blender is that you can have modifier tool live tweaking ..while in lightwave it is a non very interactive command, you set it and apply it..and if not satisfied, you have to undo and try again...might be forgetting some real time metaform divider plugin out there though for lightwave.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131882&d=1452768474
Michael

colkai
01-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Glad the modifier hint helped. :) I can live with using Viper in LW then rendering, I can't find DP Rock but there is the Rocks from the Renderman collection, is that it?

prometheus
01-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Glad the modifier hint helped. :) I can live with using Viper in LW then rendering, I can't find DP Rock but there is the Rocks from the Renderman collection, is that it?

yep dpont rock and all those other textures are in the rman collection, also nodes in a seperate zipfiles if you need to work with that.

more blender remeshing..
One can also get semi decent results with the remesh modifier in blender, if you have the remesh as the first modifier and the subdiv as the second, and then tweak the remesh settings....not perfect but it may work as initial polyflow corrector, then you could continue sculpt or manually go in and do some corrections, it will probably yield some symmetry errors, so not sure which tool to use to correct that..will have to look for it, in lightwave I would just use jx symmetri fix, that is a great symmetry fixer.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131883&d=1452784529 http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131884&d=1452784604

prometheus
01-14-2016, 08:37 AM
hereīs my brush, you guys can use it, click on it to load full size or right click and download.
It was rendered in LIGHTWAVE ..from a voxel with sprite texture...though it was just a quick vpr render, so it may not be ideal and can be optimized..also think it was a draft mode vpr image..so this could be improved.

use the brush tool in blender and use anchor mode and see what happens..you would of course need a quite a bit of divisions to get to look decent...and remember one can always tweak that sprite with other settings in the rock procedural, you can also stretch the sprite in z axis or scaling to get it to look like something of an impact...and if you use other channels than the actual hypertexture, you can acess even more procedurals in lightwave to render out as brushes...Sorry guys if I have distracted from the actual hard ops topic.

It could look like this, uncheck symmetry, activate texture for the brush and locate the texture..the strenght may probably need to be raised (need to optimize the brush) some banding too..so I would need to optimize that with some blur perhaps.
Set stroke mode to anchor and drag where you want it to the scale you want it, also try ctrl key and invert the brush...which also can be seen in this image at some places...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131886&d=1452785811

safetyman
01-14-2016, 10:42 AM
... it will probably yield some symmetry errors, so not sure which tool to use to correct that..will have to look for it, in lightwave I would just use jx symmetri fix, that is a great symmetry fixer.

Just select your object (works in either Object mode or Edit mode), press the spacebar and type "Symetrize" and select the command that matches the axis you want to symetrize, most likely "Symetrize X Positive".

prometheus
01-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Just select your object (works in either Object mode or Edit mode), press the spacebar and type "Symetrize" and select the command that matches the axis you want to symetrize, most likely "Symetrize X Positive".

thanks, two things, doesnīt seem to work in object mode, and in edit mode...didnīt work directly(of course since it isnīt selected), it has to be selected as faces, or vertices...first I got additional geometry in the seam, but that was a threshold thing, seem to work as it should.

Michael

spherical
01-14-2016, 02:56 PM
hereīs my brush, you guys can use it, click on it to load full size or right click and download.
It was rendered in LIGHTWAVE ..from a voxel with sprite texture...though it was just a quick vpr render, so it may not be ideal and can be optimized..also think it was a draft mode vpr image..so this could be improved.

use the brush tool in blender and use anchor mode and see what happens..you would of course need a quite a bit of divisions to get to look decent...and remember one can always tweak that sprite with other settings in the rock procedural, you can also stretch the sprite in z axis or scaling to get it to look like something of an impact...and if you use other channels than the actual hypertexture, you can acess even more procedurals in lightwave to render out as brushes...Sorry guys if I have distracted from the actual hard ops topic.

Ah. Now I'm getting it. Thanks! Very cool.

prometheus
01-16-2016, 06:10 AM
Ah. Now I'm getting it. Thanks! Very cool.

using blenders own fractals instead of actual image maps as brush texture like musgrave with ridged multifractal mode while painting is very powerful and cool as well, since you can so easy change the texture, and repaint and the change follows that...so that is very powerful..I enjoy the blender sculpting tools a lot.
I wish blender had a bit of more fractals to work with though, seems I got more fractal types to work with in lightwave, not sure if there is more out there as addons for blender, those that are there are quite nice, I do miss options to invert the fractals, in the sculpt mode You may use ctrl and invert the sculpt..but not sure that is the same as inverting the fractal texture...donīt think so.

Michael

colkai
01-17-2016, 01:28 AM
I agree, I think LW has more fractal textures to play with. That's before you even add in 3rd party textures too. To be honest, never thought to search for add on textures in Blender.

tischbein3
01-17-2016, 02:25 AM
You may use ctrl and invert the sculpt..but not sure that is the same as inverting the fractal texture...donīt think so.
l

First you should really post on blenderartists, people there a quite helpfull and pretty fast helping out.
Second, as for inverting gradients, expand the color tab in the texture panel, And activate the ramp checkbox. That will provides you with a gradient wich can be easily inverted by clicking the flip button (double arrow icon)

Thomas Helzle
01-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks for making me aware of this tool.
This finally pushed me over the edge to learn blender modelling.
I think I'll lay Softimage to rest now at last...

Cheers,

Tom

sadkkf
01-30-2016, 08:43 AM
using the old (a bit slower) crackit plugin, that will yield some nicer fractured pieces, that in fact seem to work when metaform subdividing it to give it a look of rock pieces.

Does this work anymore? Using 2015.3 I get nothing but errors.

prometheus
01-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Does this work anymore? Using 2015.3 I get nothing but errors.

works here in 2015.3 but not sure about 64 bit version...
for a simple box you can run it directly, for other shapes that may be subdivided with metaform, I think you should shift t for triple before running it, but I think itīs best to use a standard box, not sure if the tripling means it will be harder to metaform later if you want to do rock pieces.

lightscape
01-31-2016, 08:36 PM
There is a similar tool in Modo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvTDOM7K81E

Marander
02-25-2016, 03:20 AM
Hard Ops 007 update available!

Kiosk Warmup 007: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6cUKqDbZg

Information, tutorials and demos: https://masterxeon1001.wordpress.com/2016/02/23/hard-ops-007-intro-guide/

luciano
02-25-2016, 04:48 AM
But see also the preset light in this video... Hard Ops and light... sigh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6cUKqDbZg

sadkkf
02-27-2016, 10:23 AM
works here in 2015.3 but not sure about 64 bit version...
for a simple box you can run it directly, for other shapes that may be subdivided with metaform, I think you should shift t for triple before running it, but I think itīs best to use a standard box, not sure if the tripling means it will be harder to metaform later if you want to do rock pieces.

Must be a problem with the 64-bit version then.

Using a simple box, tripled or not, I always get: Fatal Code: 001.

I've messed around with the settings and nothing seems to help. Sigh.

prometheus
02-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Must be a problem with the 64-bit version then.

Using a simple box, tripled or not, I always get: Fatal Code: 001.

I've messed around with the settings and nothing seems to help. Sigh.

Probably...that is one reason why I simply use lw 32 bit modeler, simply too many plugins not availbable or working in 64 bit...than the other way around.
if you got the harddrive space..simply install it and you will also make the bed so to speak ...for using other plugins that you might want that arenīt available in 64 bit.

Norka
02-29-2016, 05:46 AM
I use Blender as little as humanly possible. Worst. Interface. Ever. Currently, I strictly use it for Manuel Bastioni Lab and also exporting stuff to three.js. Period. I see nothing in Hard Ops that I couldn't (jubilantly) do between LW and ZB. So for me personally, I will pass.

prometheus
02-29-2016, 09:30 AM
I use Blender as little as humanly possible. Worst. Interface. Ever. Currently, I strictly use it for Manuel Bastioni Lab and also exporting stuff to three.js. Period. I see nothing in Hard Ops that I couldn't (jubilantly) do between LW and ZB. So for me personally, I will pass.

Yes..I donīt like it either, though there are some tools in there I like with modifiers, sculpting and the skin modifier etc..but I do not feel comfortable with its UI..especially the windows.

sadkkf
02-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Probably...that is one reason why I simply use lw 32 bit modeler, simply too many plugins not availbable or working in 64 bit...than the other way around.
if you got the harddrive space..simply install it and you will also make the bed so to speak ...for using other plugins that you might want that arenīt available in 64 bit.

Sigh. I have the space for it, but I'm not much of a power user so I may not bother. Still, it might be worth installing just to see how it works.

Thanks for the info!