PDA

View Full Version : Export file from Lightwave

PaulP
12-16-2015, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm playing around with LW 2015.3. I have opened the "Fishing Game" sample file that comes with LW. It is in the Importance Sampling folder in the 2015 New Features folder.

In Layout, I have tried to select all objects, then go to Modeler Tools tab and use export obj. When I open the obj file in both Cinema 4D 15 and Cheetah 3D, only some of the objects are exported, not the whole scene.

I can't quite figure out what is going wrong.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

jeric_synergy
12-17-2015, 01:01 AM
Is there any pattern to what is exported and what is not?

PaulP
12-17-2015, 02:19 AM
Is there any pattern to what is exported and what is not?

Hi.

thanks for your reply.

When I export in obj format, it only exports the base plane, the red square outer casing, the blue circular object inside the red casing (that represents the water), and the two vertical fishing rods. Everything else is not exported.

The 3DS export gives a code 1, operation failed error, and it says "Polygons with 3 vertices only".

The DXF export only exports the base plane, rotated at 90 degrees (i.e vertical instead of horizontal).

Thank you.

Sensei
12-17-2015, 06:03 AM
I made this in v11.6.3:

I made sphere object, cube object and toroid object.
Selected them all.
Modeler Tools > Export OBJ.
And there is saved just sphere in .obj file.

And that's how I was expecting it to work..

There are scripts and plugins that collapse multiple objects/layers in scene to single object.
Then you can export it to .obj

PaulP
12-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Hi. Thanks for your post.

I can't seem to find these scripts / plugins. Can you give me a name or a location ?

The objects in the lws file are all separate lwo files. It would be great if layout contained a simple command for exporting the scene geometry, size, location etc. correctly.

Because the objects are all separate lwo files, I can only open each one individually in Modeler, and I then need to recreate the correct position, scale etc. of all the objects relative to each other, which I think is crazy.

Thank you.

12-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Shift-t
You need to triple your polys: the obj format doesn't do 4+ polys.

As to Sensei's point, I was wondering the same: do you have them all on one layer?

PaulP
12-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Hi thanks for that, but I'm confused.

In the lws file, there are 28 objects listed. Some of the names end in "layer 2" or "Layer 3"

When you say shift t, do you mean Modeler or Layout ? I have looked at both applications, and I have checked a shortcut list from the book Essential Lightwave v9, and I can't find any reference to shift t.

Please excuse my dumbness.

jeric_synergy
12-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Shift+t is the LWM default hotkey for the Triple command, which converts all n-gons to tris.

PaulP
12-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Shift+t is the LWM default hotkey for the Triple command, which converts all n-gons to tris.

Thanks for that.

I made a copy of the whole "fishing game" folder. I then opened each individual lwo file and used shift-t to convert each to tris. When I opened the lws file and tried my usual "select all objects" and export obj, I got the same result as always, with 1 or 2 extra textures.

For anyone that has LW 2015, you will have this project, as it is one of the sample files that comes with 2015. If any 2015 owners can open this file and figure out a way to export all the objects, in place and intact, to another format (obj, 3ds, dxf etc.), I would be very keen to see your method. I am really stuck and can't proceed any further.

Thank you.

ernpchan
12-18-2015, 12:00 AM
I can't seem to find these scripts / plugins. Can you give me a name or a location ?

You could try these.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/scene2modeler/
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/one-click-scene-to-object/
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/save-transformed/

PaulP
12-18-2015, 02:02 AM
You could try these.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/scene2modeler/
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/one-click-scene-to-object/
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/save-transformed/

Ernest, thank you thank you thank you.

Scene2Modeler did the trick. I haven't looked at the newly created obj file too closely, but on cursory inspection it seems ok. A few polygons with flipped normals, but nothing major.

Would it be impertinent of me to state that for a program like LW, it seems strange that such basic I/O functionality is not in the core functionality of modeler or layout, but has to be handled by a free plugin ? LW has been around for more than 20 years, and is still (I think) a heavy hitter, high end type program in 3D. Maybe the type of functionality I'm looking for isn't required all that much.

At any rate, thanks again to all.

BeeVee
12-18-2015, 02:43 AM
Also, saving all the files out as OBJs isn't necessarily the right thing to do. I think it would be better for you to use a scene-based export like FBX or Alembic. That would preserve the relationships between the objects in the scene and animation. Of course, if you are not intending to recreate the scene in another package I could be completely on the wrong track. I opened the scene and there are several multi-layer objects - objects that in Modeler are on several layers, but in Layout are represented as individual objects. You could do what you want by selecting each object in Layout in turn (GUL Fisk:Layer1, Brod med Krummer:Layer2 and so on) and using Export OBJ from the Modeler Tools menu. Alternatively, you could use FBX Export from the I/O menu and save out the whole scene in one go, preserving animation.

The object exporters are designed to export the current singular object, rather than multiple and the 3DS format is very old and limited - only triangles and no more than 64k polygons. The reason DXF exports rotated is because, for historical reasons, the Z-plane is vertical for DXF.

B

B

PaulP
12-18-2015, 03:39 AM
Also, saving all the files out as OBJs isn't necessarily the right thing to do. I think it would be better for you to use a scene-based export like FBX or Alembic. That would preserve the relationships between the objects in the scene and animation. Of course, if you are not intending to recreate the scene in another package I could be completely on the wrong track. I opened the scene and there are several multi-layer objects - objects that in Modeler are on several layers, but in Layout are represented as individual objects. You could do what you want by selecting each object in Layout in turn (GUL Fisk:Layer1, Brod med Krummer:Layer2 and so on) and using Export OBJ from the Modeler Tools menu. Alternatively, you could use FBX Export from the I/O menu and save out the whole scene in one go, preserving animation.

The object exporters are designed to export the current singular object, rather than multiple and the 3DS format is very old and limited - only triangles and no more than 64k polygons. The reason DXF exports rotated is because, for historical reasons, the Z-plane is vertical for DXF.

B

B

Hi Ben.

Thanks for chipping in. I appreciate your time, and I appreciate that you opened the lws file to have a look around.

I wanted to export the scene geometry and object relationships to each other so I could texture and render the scene in Cheetah 3D and C4D. I don't do animation, only still images.

You mention FBX export, but I can't find that option in Layout - not in the I/O tab across the top, not in the file tab on the left, and not in the export tab, also on the left. The Alembic exporter would work for C4D, but not Cheetah.

Thanks again.

Sensei
12-18-2015, 03:44 AM
Try the main panel, I/O tab, FBX Export..

PaulP
12-18-2015, 03:54 AM
Try the main panel, I/O tab, FBX Export..

Hi again. I might be missing something - you mean the I/O tab across the top of the window, between Modeler Tools and Utilities ?

If so, there is no option for fbx export. I have MD Multi Baker, Alembic and VRML 97 as the only 3 choices.

Thank you.

Sensei
12-18-2015, 03:55 AM
Try rescanning plugins. I have there FBX Export.

BeeVee
12-18-2015, 04:20 AM
Yes, you should have it too. If you have modified your menus, try hitting Alt-F10 to edit them and from the Presets list at the top of the window choose Default. LightWave's renderer is widely regarded as a strong point, is there a reason you want to duplicate the scene in another renderer?

B

PaulP
12-18-2015, 04:34 AM
Hi, thanks again to both of you for your continued assistance.

I have tried re scanning plugins, but there is still no FBX export. The alt-F10 might be a Windows keyboard shortcut, as on my computer it brings up the sound preferences panel. Quite apart from this, I don't think I have mucked up or fiddled with the menus.

My interest in exporting the scene is to compare renderers. I am simply intellectually curious. The LW renderer is indeed top class.

souzou
12-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Looks like you're also missing COLLADA Export which should be in that I/O list. You should also see them in the File>Export dropdown main menu.

Might be worth resetting your configs - guide here:
http://simplylightwave.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167

BeeVee
12-18-2015, 08:33 AM
No, it's a LightWave thing. You can also find it in the Edit menu where it is "Edit Menu Layout...". The fact that Alt-F10 is bringing up sound preferences is no doubt a Mac thing.

B

12-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Ahh,
Then any time one of us mentions the Function keys, you have to remember to press the lil "fn" button on the keyboard. Otherwise, you get what they have programmed for the f-keys.

BeeVee
12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
We don't *you* do :D

B

PaulP
12-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Hi again everyone.

Some further developments.

My main computer (which I've been using for this exercise) is a Mac Pro running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I have another computer, a laptop running 10.8.5 mountain Lion.

I installed LW 2015 on the laptop, and lo and behold, the FBX and collada export functions were there. I then went back to my desktop, used the uninstall program that comes with LW, uninstalled, restarted and then reinstalled LW 2015. Still no fbx and collada. I then did the same uninstall, restart, and reinstall on the laptop, and yet again the fbx and collada exporters were there.

I can only assume that the desktop running Snow Leopard does not meet the minimum system requirements for the fbx and collada exporters used by LW 2015, and so therefore it just does not install them.

It would be nice if we were given a message to this effect. This is an important thing to know.

So after all that, I now have two exported files of this project, one in obj and one in fbx.

Phewy.

Thanks again to all respondents.

PS : If anyone out there has a standard install of LW 2015.3 on Snow Leopard, I'd be curious to hear if you have the same exporters missing.

BeeVee
12-18-2015, 02:53 PM
I think 10.7 is the minimum version requirement for 2015.

B

PaulP
12-18-2015, 03:54 PM
I think 10.7 is the minimum version requirement for 2015.

B

Thank you Ben.

According to this, the minimum system requirements are 10.6 Snow Leopard.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/try_lightwave/

Quite apart from the missing exporters, LW 2015 seems to be working fine on my 10.6 install.

Thanks again.

BeeVee
12-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Hi again Paul,

Do you have a plugin called valkyrie in your support/plugins/input-output folder? If yes, I think we need to add it to LightWave again. Hit Alt-F11 (use the Fn key Robert said?) and use Add Plug-ins. Go to that directory I mentioned and select valkyrie.plugin. Hopefully, that should get it back for you. My Mac *still* has 2015.2 installed, but it has those functions. It is running Mavericks though.

Hope this helps,

B

PaulP
12-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Hi again Paul,

Do you have a plugin called valkyrie in your support/plugins/input-output folder? If yes, I think we need to add it to LightWave again. Hit Alt-F11 (use the Fn key Robert said?) and use Add Plug-ins. Go to that directory I mentioned and select valkyrie.plugin. Hopefully, that should get it back for you. My Mac *still* has 2015.2 installed, but it has those functions. It is running Mavericks though.

Hope this helps,

B

Hi again Ben.

Yes I do have the valkyrie plugin in my support folder, but it will not load. When I try to load it, I get two error messages, as shown in my attachments.

My opinion is that most of the functionality of LW 2015 is fine in 10.6, and that these missing exporter issues were overlooked when they specified minimum requirements. I would be expecting anyone running 2015.3 on 10.6 to have the same missing exporters as me.

Thank you.