PDA

View Full Version : Control object rotation in all directions?

short223
12-16-2015, 06:54 AM
I know there are tutorials / methods on using expressions for wheel rotation in one direction based on the motion of a control object (using Relativity), but has there been any tutorials or known methods to control the rotation of an object in any direction based on the movement of a control object ( like a ball rolling aimlessly in a room)?

Thanks!

ernpchan
12-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Don't know the expression math to do this but I've made a ball roll around with bullet. I used a ring around the ball set to kinematic and use the ring to push the ball around.

RebelHill
12-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Yeah... that kind of arbitrary action requires dynamics.

short223
01-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Understood. I was afraid of this answer but it looks like the only way it seems.....
Thanks all!

Danner
01-07-2016, 03:28 AM
Try it with a wheel like rotation and see if it's good enough first. it's easy to do:
Add a null, Make that null the parent of the ball. Add Mike Green's Wheel motion modifier to the ball, animate the null, go into the Motion options of the null, in the controllers and limits tab change the heading target to "align to path".

Someone mentioned using "Rotational texture vector product of marble aligned to path" in nodes but it's over my head =)