PDA

View Full Version : Spline Control weirdness

DCjr
12-15-2015, 01:45 PM
I have this animation spline path set up using Spline Motion control. Its a simple path, long, with a few null spline controls under the master null.

I keyed my bone on the spline in a few places along the path from frame zero to frame 998 and beyond at frame 1500.
Everything seems to work fine until around frame 1000. At frame 998, it works fine, then 3 frames later the bone hierarchy along with my object its deforming) vanishes from the path and ends up far off in the distance in my scene file.
I have no clue what is going on
I really want this to work!
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

lertola2
12-15-2015, 03:06 PM
I looked at your scene and I do find it puzzling. But if you look on the Motion Options panel for the bone that is controlling the movement there is an option called Spline Fit. If you change that from Linear Distance to Spline distance then the bones stick to the spline as they should. I never was aware of this Spline Fit option before and I don't know what the different options mean. Also I think there was supposed to be a check box that turned the spline into a closed curve. That options seems to be missing or at least I don't know where it is any more.

DCjr
12-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Oh cool, thanks!
Yes, the spline closed curve is in the motion panel for the parent null of the spline.
I tried the spline fit and it did some weird stuff to the animation (more noticeable on my creature mesh than a null).
But Spline Distance seemed to do the trick.

Ryan Roye
12-15-2015, 03:49 PM
Unparent Bone (1) from master bone. I'm not exactly sure why it is happening, but I know the distance between the master bone and its immediate child bone is great enough to cause the spline constraint to fail.

If you'd like to keep the master bone, take the keyframes from Bone(1), copy, then delete them, and paste those keys onto the master bone.

DCjr
12-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Thank you Ryan, I will look into that and clean up. I was following Lino's Shark Spline Tutorial. I know he put it there for a reason, but I wonder if I even need it for my setup. I could easily save my creature so that its tail is in the positive Z space at the origin. So the bones will just start from 0.