PDA

View Full Version : New tutorial - Creating terrain with Lightwave

Simon-S
12-15-2015, 10:04 AM
https://youtu.be/pm6XUyf63t8

Hi Guys,

Here's my new tutorial on creating quick terrain in Lightwave.

Hopefully some of you will find it useful.

Cheers.

DrStrik9
12-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks. It's a useful tutorial.

adrian
12-16-2015, 02:16 AM
Good tutorial, I've never made landscapes using the methods you use so nice to learn some new tricks!

prometheus
12-16-2015, 03:29 AM
Thanks for sharing.
Personally I prefer using fractals directly to have full editable and re-tweakable fractals anytime, good to showcase alternatives though.
A tip would be to render out different fractals by using textured environment for example, then open in photoshop select parts you want, smudge or erase, cut and paste or copy and paste..together with a mix of other fractals to give a rich terrain..then save out and use as displacement in lightwave..just need to make sure to use a large image, preferably 4k.

pinkmouse
12-16-2015, 03:50 AM
Nice stuff, thanks Simon.

unstable
12-16-2015, 06:35 AM
Thanks Simon, this looks great. Can't wait to give it a go!

MonroePoteet
12-16-2015, 08:25 AM
Yes, very nice tutorial! Thanks for the details on how to apply the various images. I'm going to try the same with procedurals when I get the time since I don't have PhotoShop to generate the cloud layer images.

mTp

prometheus
12-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Yes, very nice tutorial! Thanks for the details on how to apply the various images. I'm going to try the same with procedurals when I get the time since I don't have PhotoShop to generate the cloud layer images.

mTp

not sure...maybe you can create a terrain in this free bryce version, export the image as a heightmap...

http://download.cnet.com/Bryce-Pro/3000-6677_4-10696716.html

I am not sure ...dogwaffle project with some free home non commercial versions of howler, might have some nice fracal or noise tools, use it freely for non commercial stuff, and once you get used to it and are doing commercial stuff with it..upgrade to a payed commercial cheap version..
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/download/index.html

just boosting up particle 9 ...which was free for a limited time, but not now...have to see if I find any nice fractal"cloud" generator there.

otherwise you have one in lightwave of course, dented fractal and multiridged is my favorites.

prometheus
12-16-2015, 02:41 PM
you could add an image map as the main area and height, then add fractals with additive layers too...like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihsYiiw8_rQ

prometheus
12-19-2015, 02:17 PM
bumping a bit here again..I should really do my own thread instead of hijacking, so thus I am not showing any pics here now..just giving some tip.
regarding creating fractals for use as image maps....also take a look at using hypervoxels, just add a null, use sprite mode and add turbulent noise hypertexture, scale it on z- axis and you will get a sort of impact fractal or something resembling a crater or a mountain peak.
render it out in hig res, and use as displacement map.

You could actually fire up two lightwave layouts and have one set up with a subdiv grid for displacement, then the other lightwave layout set up with a hypervoxel, and tweak and render out images for use in the other layout scene, so you wonīt have to close and reload scenes etc.

might showcase samples on another thread later.

gerry_g
12-19-2015, 04:01 PM
think your missing the point of what he was doing, his methodology gave him much stronger control over texture placement, the stones really popped as each was precisely aligned to the texture layer, can't do that if you just rush in and do procedural everything from the get go, more often what you end up with is the texture fighting the displacement and acting like camouflage, the whole point of his approach was about wresting control away from the process and back to the user.

prometheus
12-20-2015, 07:20 AM
think your missing the point of what he was doing, his methodology gave him much stronger control over texture placement, the stones really popped as each was precisely aligned to the texture layer, can't do that if you just rush in and do procedural everything from the get go, more often what you end up with is the texture fighting the displacement and acting like camouflage, the whole point of his approach was about wresting control away from the process and back to the user.

No I donīt think I am missing the point, stones aligned to texture texture layers?, you can instance stones based on fractals derived from fractal displacement ..thus getting exact alignement, or use baked fractals...but of course this is displaced "stones"

and what I showed above has nothing to do with that, that is just additional image creation based on techniques using hypervoxels to create the image map.
But I honestly do not know exactly what you are refering to me "missing the point" maybe I missed some part in the tutorial that is Extra important in regards to what you say?

in this case the "stones" are not stone objects, they are displaced deformations, and they only way you can tell it is supposed to look like stones, that is the height and texturing..mostly people instance stones..but this is the type of rolling boulder stones..so no instancing naturally.

But I can do all this with fractals directly, you can either control the stone textures by copying the displacement to color layers or bump layers...so I do not see any specific advantage for creating it with baked textures..in fact I do not like the terrain showed here, it is based on photoshop cloud noise ...and if you do not get it right from scratch, you would have to go back and re-render the cloud fractals, while in lightwave I would use multi ridge, dented, dpont_rock or the crackle fractals and get exactly what I want and more realistic fractals..and you can texture color those layers based on different gradients or use the same procedurals from displacement..and if you go nodes that would be more powerful too.

so thereīs two main reasons I wouldnīt use photoshop and itīs cloud noise.
1. the cloud noise isnīt good enough for terrain, rock, stone work.
2. you can not tweak it interactivly.

regarding using tweakable fractals directly in lightwave and texturing, you have to make sure you get your stone bump displacement right ..when that is finished, use that displacement in color layers, and for extra small detail..put it in bump channel and add octaves or small detail.

prometheus
12-20-2015, 07:41 AM
I must add..

Generally I prefer using fractal directly, but image map has itīs uses and sometimes I would do that too...but what I sort of oppose the most, that is the use of photoshop cloud noise....that is why I recommended try using lightwave fractals and render out as image maps, using hypervoxels to create crater style images, or use textured environment..you coud set up a displacement grid and make sure your stone displacement is what you want it to be, then use that fractal in textured environment and render out as an image, then process further in photoshop smudge or smooth or draw on it...but using photoshop cloud noise, just in my opinion a cheap way of doing it.

If you got acess to after effects you could get even better fractal noises to render out than photoshop cloud layers.
if you donīt got either after effects or photoshop...go with render out lightwave fractals and edit in a free image editor/paint program...or use fractals directly as I mentioned.

gerry_g
12-20-2015, 08:49 AM
True cloud filter bit could be construed as dumb save for the fact he had better visual feedback and more responsive control, other than that nothing that could not be done elsewhere. Personal experience has taught me though that procedurals always look like procedurals as in walpaper and having a map aligned to a set of uv's is a big advantage

prometheus
12-20-2015, 11:09 AM
True cloud filter bit could be construed as dumb save for the fact he had better visual feedback and more responsive control, other than that nothing that could not be done elsewhere. Personal experience has taught me though that procedurals always look like procedurals as in walpaper and having a map aligned to a set of uv's is a big advantage

I would suggest not using the cloud filter in photoshop, no point...those are fractals as well turned into bitmap, fractals in lightwave are better as a starting point...how you would want to work with them for feedback is another thing..direct non destructive control without image maps, or render out to image maps with the help of textured environment etc.

I disagree a bit about procedurals looking like procedurals, and it sounds you are contradicting yourself in the workflow thinking ..maybe? :D since you are using fractals in photoshop cloud filtering...and thereīs really nothing in that process of using photoshop filter that you can not do with lw fractals rendered with textured environment..the advantage of doing it in lw is that you have a non destructive fractal process when using viper and tweaking the procedurals, in photoshop you would have to render additivly or redo it all...

but what I disagree to about procedurals, if you look at terragen and vue terrain fractals..use them wrong and it will not look realisticly, use them right and it will..it really takes a good understanding of the noise functions as well as having a very good eye on how terrain looks like in the real world.
of course a real scan of a real terrain or hill or stone areas are the most realistic you can get, world machine and geocontrol may be the closest fractal generator to acheive that due to itīs algorithms of calculating other components making up terrains..but in itīs basics it is fractals as well.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Very interesting.

prometheus
12-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Maybe I am hijacking the thread..I beg you pardon if I do, maybe I should post another thread?

anyway..hereīs a sample of only fractals directly in lightwave, the displacement is dented, and that displacement is used as alpha and also inverted in some cases, so I got the color of grass in non displaced areas, and the displaced areas are suppose to be boulders or something...the details are ridged multifractal on the stones..in bump channel, for the grass another bump, here I am masking those with the dented channel in various ways ..inverted etc so I can make different bumps on grass and another for the stone areas.
All that is made entirely in lightwave.

Donīt whine about the realism here :) , havenīt g one so far to tweak it so good, just wanted to showcase the texturing part so the "stone" areas are perfectly aligned with what is stone texture...otherwise I would have a lot to work on, fix bump ..to much repeat pattern ..not correct scale etc, landscape isnīt covering the scene etc, I actuall instanced it a bit too. :)

and I am posting a larger image of the style of impact, made with hypervoxels..use it on displacement for a crater perhaps, it will only make a peak ridge, in my sample image of dante over crater..I also got fractal dot to create the indent inside of the crater...

I actually instanced several craters in the dante over crater terrain image...the great model of The dante spaceship is credited to shrox.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131500&d=1450643692

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131501&d=1450643721

131500 131501 131502

BokadCastle
12-20-2015, 03:14 PM
https://youtu.be/pm6XUyf63t8

Hopefully some of you will find it useful.

Cheers.

Useful to me, so thanks for your time and effort.