PDA

View Full Version : What to do in London for a week?

meshpig
12-13-2015, 12:51 AM
For a personal trip. Haven't been there for 45 years, mais je sais très bien Paris :)

Markc
12-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Your giving your age away now:D

Tourist stuff:
The Shard
London Eye
Underground (don't know how crazy it was in the 70's)
Usual Shopping stuff
BFI IMAX cinema

:santa:

pinkmouse
12-13-2015, 02:57 AM
You can quite easily spend a day in each of the big museums, then there's all the galleries to do as well. Of an evening, in the West End, it's all musical theatre, if that's your bag, then fine. Otherwise, get out of the centre and there are loads of good pubs and restaurants. Live music is still around, but you have to search for it as many of the better, small venues have closed down.

meshpig
12-13-2015, 03:34 AM
Age Outed:)

Underground was a fav from memory back then. The Shard, the Eye?

True, shopping is sh*t in Paris, I always find it hard to show people around here from Europe. You can't buy beer for breakfast at McDonalds for one.

meshpig
12-13-2015, 03:48 AM
You can quite easily spend a day in each of the big museums, then there's all the galleries to do as well. Of an evening, in the West End, it's all musical theatre, if that's your bag, then fine. Otherwise, get out of the centre and there are loads of good pubs and restaurants. Live music is still around, but you have to search for it as many of the better, small venues have closed down.

Thanks pinkmouse, kinda over galleries world wide though haven't seen the Tate in as many years. West end sounds good.

glebe digital
12-13-2015, 05:07 AM
Climbing the Monument (great fire of London) is still only a couple of quid, way better than the shard IMHO.......Charing Cross Road still hase some fine 2nd-hand book shops & you never know what gems you'll find.
If coffee is your thing, Bar Italia on Frith St is still the best, and a short walk through Soho Sqr to Govinda's -the Krishna temple/restaurant- for an excellent lunch, at very reasonable prices.

Have fun!

ianr
12-13-2015, 05:54 AM
Mpig,
Doctor Johnson once said to Mr.Boswell:

" If one doth tire of London
then one doth tire of life!"

I'ave lived in other big cities & the
variety here is truly wonderful.

I suggest U cruise Bond Street with a Rich woman
and her Credit Cards. Hah!

Seriously, If you over-musuem it, well
slip out on the Day-Train to say Oxford, Bath.

:beerchug:ENJOY

JonW
12-13-2015, 01:28 PM
London Tower, it's been cleaned up and everything rearranged for the better. I was there in 2010

meshpig
12-14-2015, 02:00 AM
Thanks guys, yes I was thinking of Bath and good to hear it's a day-train and "a short walk through Soho Sqr to Govind's" sounds good too :)

meshpig
12-16-2015, 04:41 AM
OK, so what to do in Italy for a week City outside? I really want to see Piero Della Francesca in Arezzo, not typical gallery stuff. Alas restaurant recommendations don't last either.

meshpig
12-16-2015, 05:40 AM
Like I love the city I live in; Sydney is by far more beautiful than Paris despite it's soft light. We have much more refraction so the Sunlight seems harsher. Well, FFS it is :)

gristle
12-16-2015, 01:21 PM
An early Saturday visit to Borough market (just up stream from London Bridge tube station) is good. Fill up on food then walk up the Thames past the Globe, Tate modern etc. Just watch out if you buy an over ripe brie, they may not let you into the museums:)

Before 9am recommended otherwise over run with tourists.

shrox
12-16-2015, 01:29 PM
The Sid and Nancy pub tour.

BokadCastle
12-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Check out Leake St, under Waterloo Station.
I went on my own and survived - probably better with company tho'.

jeric_synergy
12-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Kew Steam Museum. Good place to pick up steampunky textures, mechanisms:

http://www.waterandsteam.org.uk/our-engines

JonW
12-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Was in Bath as well, you will like all the sandstone which was imported to us before they found out Aust is made out of sandstone. You will recognise the colour which is different from our sandstone! Have a look at Stonehenge, like any tourist attraction visit as early in the morning as you can.

If you can get over to Paris it is worth it & visit Versailles to see our the other half lived! (morning as usual!)

I've been to the Eiffel Tower twice, the top level has been closed both times! As a kid the lifts very broken & my Dad & I walked up to the second level, top closed. In 2010 the lifts worked but but the top was closed, but wanted to walk down again! It actually does not take too long to walk down & is worth doing it as you get a nice feel of the structure. My Sister has been there a third time, top level closed!

Hall of mirrors:

BokadCastle
12-16-2015, 08:56 PM
...more on Leake St.

When I went there it was deserted mostly, then in roared about a dozen bikies - the noise was thunderous and intimidating.

This looks party-like and what it is - a changing street art studio.
Banksy started it, so goes the legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjMg63pPicE

kopperdrake
12-17-2015, 01:10 AM
If you haven't seen it, Les Mis is *still* playing at the Queen's Theatre in London - I'm not really into the whole musicals thing, but I've seen that three times now over the past twenty-odd years and still like it! There's also a very reasonable Italian around the corner on Brewer's Street for food just before, Mele e Pele - their bread was fantastic especially.

Danner
12-17-2015, 01:40 AM
The Victoria and Albert Museum is pretty amazing if you like art. If you are more into science the natural history museum next door is quite nice. I also vouch for Les Mis (I know it by heart actually). Check out the music scene, there is always someone amazing playing somewhere.

meshpig
12-17-2015, 02:39 AM
Was in Bath as well, you will like all the sandstone which was imported to us before they found out Aust is made out of sandstone. You will recognise the colour which is different from our sandstone! Have a look at Stonehenge, like any tourist attraction visit as early in the morning as you can.

If you can get over to Paris it is worth it & visit Versailles to see our the other half lived! (morning as usual!)

I've been to the Eiffel Tower twice, the top level has been closed both times! As a kid the lifts very broken & my Dad & I walked up to the second level, top closed. In 2010 the lifts worked but but the top was closed, but wanted to walk down again! It actually does not take too long to walk down & is worth doing it as you get a nice feel of the structure. My Sister has been there a third time, top level closed!

Hall of mirrors:

Thanks again all, I was in 2 minds about seeing London again.

Yes, enjoyed Versailles. Can't recall if the Eiffel tower top level was closed the last time I was there, but you get a good overview of Paris from the Sacré-Cœur on the Northern edge.

I can't resist posting this; arriving in Venice at Dawn :)

ianr
12-17-2015, 06:06 AM
M pig, I am remiss, i forgot add

The Science Musuem: Cosmonauts Exbo.

If like this sort of stuff here is Kit there NEVER
seen outside of StarCity ever!.

Really Amazing heavy duty capsules etc
inc the Russian Lunar Lander that never got there

ianr
12-17-2015, 06:08 AM
M pig, I am remiss, i forgot add

The Science Musuem: Cosmonauts Exbo.

If like this sort of stuff here is Kit there NEVER
seen outside of StarCity ever!.

Really Amazing heavy duty capsules etc
inc the Russian Lunar Lander that never got there.

p.s. don't forget to order a 'Bellini' drink in Venice
the home to this great mixer.

oph's Stereo post

meshpig
12-17-2015, 09:56 PM
M pig, I am remiss, i forgot add...

Thanks boss, I can relate to that :)

BokadCastle
12-18-2015, 03:14 AM
Thanks again all,
I can't resist posting this; arriving in Venice at Dawn :)

I got thrown out of Harry's Bar Venice once.
It was after a Peter Gabriel concert in St Marks.
2007, I think...ah, the old days.

meshpig
12-18-2015, 04:35 AM
Yeah well, not surprising. Venice is both Disneyland and everyone's fantasy. Harry's is like Starbucks... and St. Marks is drowning. Kinda been there and spent a shed load prob won't again.

meshpig
12-18-2015, 04:44 AM
... You know, people queuing up to see the Mona Lisa. See what?

meshpig
12-18-2015, 04:53 AM
Don't get me started on the Sistine Chapel, wow what a mongrel of a thing that is. Art History 1.01 but it's an F*ing mess period.

Danner
12-18-2015, 07:50 AM
I agree on Venice, is is interesting, but it has become an overpriced tourist trap. When I went to rome the chapel was closed, but I did enjoy visiting St. Peter's cathedral, it is a bit overwhelming but it has the most impressive sculptures I have ever seen.

inkpen3d
12-18-2015, 07:57 AM
The Greenwich National Maritime Museum (including the newly refurbished Cutty Sark, the world's only surviving tea clipper) and the nearby Royal Greenwich Observatory are all well worth a visit. Like Ianr, I highly recommend the Victoria & Albert, Natural History and the Science museums, which are all literally within a stone's throw of each other. Another thing that's worth doing is simply strolling along the Thames embankment (e.g from the Tower of London to the Houses of Parliament at Westminster) - you'll pass some major landmarks on the way including the old Roman wall. If you like markets and street entertainment, Covent Garden and Camden Market are both worth a visit - plenty going on here. If you like, or want to try, strong Belgium beer, visit Lowlander in Drury Lane (Covent Garden) they also do good food.

A few words of of advice/links: London prices are pretty steep (http://thesavvybackpacker.com/daily-costs-visit-london/) and be on your guard for unscrupulous vendors overcharging you because they clock the fact that you're a tourist. Always use the black taxi cabs (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-s304/London:United-Kingdom:Taxis.And.Rental.Cars.html) as their prices are regulated, minicab drivers can charge what they want. I'd get an Oyster card (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster) as you can use it on the underground, buses and overground trains within the London area and it saves you some money. You can in theory also use contactless payment with your credit/debit card on public transport, but being in a foreign country you might encounter problems - safer to get an Oyster card - but read the warning about possible "card clash" if you keep all your cards together.

Have a great time! :)

jeric_synergy
12-19-2015, 11:01 PM
OOooo, oooo... The Royal Observatory!!! YESSSS. Very inspirational. If you can, watch the movie "Longitude" before you go.

When you see what people discovered about the universe using only some sticks and marks on a window sill, you really How Smart Some People Are. (Off the charts smart, that's how much.) Take the tour down to the basement for the chronometers.

meshpig
12-19-2015, 11:38 PM
... black taxi cabs as their prices are regulated, minicab drivers can charge what they want.

Have a great time! :)

Will do thanks, that's good info. Lived near Greenwich as a kid and still have vivid memories of the Cutty Sark etc.

meshpig
12-19-2015, 11:53 PM
OOooo, oooo... The Royal Observatory!!! YESSSS. Very inspirational. If you can, watch the movie "Longitude" before you go.

When you see what people discovered about the universe using only some sticks and marks on a window sill, you really How Smart Some People Are. (Off the charts smart, that's how much.) Take the tour down to the basement for the chronometers.

All because of Isaac Newton. That other moment in history too when Einstein proved gravity bends light (because we happen to have a Moon which was at that point, just far away enough for it to cover the Sun). Ah, I can't wait for some baguette, buerre a'la francais and strawberry jam:)

meshpig
12-20-2015, 12:21 AM
I agree on Venice, is is interesting, but it has become an overpriced tourist trap. When I went to rome the chapel was closed, but I did enjoy visiting St. Peter's cathedral, it is a bit overwhelming but it has the most impressive sculptures I have ever seen.

The Pope was doing a concert so St. Peters was out of bounds when there last... bearing in mind the Vatican isn't BAU Italy. Seems like all they did in those days was make sculptures. You soon learn to pick the Greek from the Early Roman and then from the morass for what it's worth?

meshpig
12-21-2015, 11:28 PM
What about Stratford-upon-Avon and the the Globe. Worth a look?

JonW
12-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Had relatives from there, nice area, but it's a long time since I looked at these things. Last time I was there was for a funeral in Leamington Spa!

meshpig
12-22-2015, 12:31 AM
i miss the old days backpacking, staying at amazing YH's and travelling light.

meshpig
03-17-2016, 10:45 AM
...On the way to. Passed the Isand of Stromboli yesterday. Cruise ships are great at our age but only if you go first class, so to speak. Enjoying :)

Markc
03-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Excuse my bad geography, but where exactly is that (Stromboli)?
Nice Photo.

meshpig
03-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Between Sicily and the mainland, the Strait of Messina. Now a few hours out of Athens. Sea is calm but saw many refugees in the port... it's cold too.

JonW
03-18-2016, 12:03 AM
Hope you are enjoying your holiday!

Our Italian transport in 2014

meshpig
03-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Awesome! Less stressful than flying... berthed in Rhodes. Beautiful place.

meshpig
03-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Worth paying the extra for the top front decks because "below" tnings like water to drink aren't free. Also fast pass thru boarding, gym, pool 24/7 rs etc. inclusive tho there is always a nasty looking tab at the end. 11 days + too 'cos it takes you 2 or 3 to get into the ship's routine.

Tomorrow Israel.

glebe digital
03-19-2016, 05:22 PM
which ship is that? I was on the Aurora last year across the med.....bit like a floating prison but with the odd tuxedo night thrown in. Cruise routine is certainly HARD work for a wild boy and takes some getting used to.....have fun!

JonW
03-19-2016, 07:55 PM
That boat is hugh!

This is as far as our budget would stretch,

the car photo that is!

meshpig
03-21-2016, 04:36 AM
which ship is that? I was on the Aurora last year across the med.....bit like a floating prison but with the odd tuxedo night thrown in. Cruise routine is certainly HARD work for a wild boy and takes some getting used to.....have fun!

One of 3 identical MSC ships, forget which. Yeah, I didn't enjoy it the first time around. This time figured out the gym, massage, hot tub after breakfast and how not to drink all day.

There's a members only deck up the top front which has it's own separate facilities. Not being a snob, it's just worth the extra to get priority boarding and not have to fight against 4000 people for a feed and all the rest.

Spent 10 hours in Jerusalem yesterday.... need an extended stay which haven't gotten around to yet. Aint flying anywhere for just 2 weeks :)

- Haifa looking towards Lebanon which you can almost see. Syria off to the right about 40 k's.

meshpig
03-21-2016, 04:42 AM
That boat is hugh!

This is as far as our budget would stretch, ...

I thought the smaller boats were more expensive? That looks like the real deal... no way you can get sea sick on this thing, massive stabilisers and barely rolls even when rough. Driving in Israel looks half sane, maybe a 1/3? Italy...

meshpig
03-23-2016, 11:06 AM
The Minoans. Everything after is post-modern... Knossos, wooden model of in the Bauhaus style museum in Crete. Can't wait to get home and model it.

meshpig
03-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Ancient Roman non tiling brick texture anyone?

meshpig
04-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Had some leaving Rome for Perugia a few days ago. I reckon the spuds aren't the US variety (Sabago) like the fries were considerably better :)

Ha, just kidding. Forgotten how nice things can be.

meshpig
04-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Not really meaning to travel blog but thought the backside of the Pitti Palace, the rather brutal looking thing on the other side of the Ponte vecchio is interesting. Never mind the excessive interior...

On the contrary; being the tourist is the money.

meshpig
04-02-2016, 01:51 PM
I mean the interior is amazing given only glass, gold, silk and wood. Ruined only by the insistence of there being a ******* plethora of second rate
nothing paintings hanging in every available space covering up the silk covered walls.

meshpig
04-07-2016, 01:01 PM
However, saw Boccioni at the Milan Triennale. Now in grey and boring Zurich on the way to Paris. Looks like it might be sunny at least there too, ouch this euro cold.

meshpig
04-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Staying near the Place de la Republique, big manifestion there last night. The Italian train broke down half way through the Alps. 4 hours on the TGV makes flying something for the birds...

Sunny morning.

meshpig
04-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Well, here we are after 45 years. Everything looks a little smaller... :) Saw The Winters Tale at the Globe, awesome as staying in Southwark. Met Jeremy Iron's dippy wife after having seen him at a cafe in Ostia and spent the post show with two gorgeous young Brit gay actors at the Swan telling tall travel stories and drinking expensive Brit p*ss.

Liking London, came with an open mind after a few lovely days relaxing in Paris.

meshpig
04-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Like the floor price for this 'executive suite' is $1000 AUD pn. 'Cos it has a balcony where yer sort of allowed to smoke. Got an upgrade for $100 by putting the wind up from far away... I'm looking at the Shard by night as we speak thinking how it's a Tour Eiffel cultural cringe.

Post pics later.

meshpig
04-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Food in Italy is all very well but you can't beat the culinary system in Paris. EU 4 GB y/n... leave it out Guv. Eng cultural cringe??

meshpig
04-13-2016, 03:19 PM
- $30 for a greasy hamburger over $15 for Fois Gras de Maison dans Paris?

London is (*&(*& idiotically expensive for a cold and wet place where people appear to have no idea why they're nere.

meshpig
04-13-2016, 04:04 PM
... a wash with EU workers the Brits still manage to whinge and complain.

meshpig
04-13-2016, 04:22 PM
I mean management. Went to the Infrarail convention in Docklands this morning. Mickey Mouse.

meshpig
04-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Hey, still liking London. Just needed to fart.

meshpig
04-13-2016, 04:59 PM
- UK border force... GB is just s form of Europe. Gert over it.

meshpig
04-13-2016, 05:10 PM
There's nothing quite like British Propaganda...

glebe digital
04-14-2016, 03:25 AM
A London where everything worked just wouldn't be, well, right!

Ah London......that sweaty veneer of chip fat & diesel.....unmistakable, l'odeur authentique.

meshpig
04-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Ha, trekked out to Yottam Ottelenghi's joint in the East End; good food, like you get everywhere in Sydney no big deal. You're right, London is a bit of an awkward mess.
Certainly plenty to do though...

- Had no idea Westminster was a sort of Victorian recreation built over Norman foundations; the French had Napoleon, the Birts had Vic and Alb. Packing for home tomorrow, can't wait to CWTGtFOofH really, if only 'cos been on the road for 5 weeks and can no longer fit into the suit I brought or is it the cold and grey Spring weather?

BokadCastle
04-17-2016, 03:54 AM
Packing for home tomorrow, can't wait to CWTGtFOofH really,

This is late sixties, so a bit dated...but still works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71NOg0hxLnU

meshpig
04-19-2016, 12:31 AM
This is late sixties, so a bit dated...but still works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71NOg0hxLnU

A little dated and sentimental for sure but yeah, it's good to be home and under the big bright sky and warmer weather.

London and Melbourne seem to me to be a match made in the same shade of Grey. Ha, let 'em say it's "more European" than Syd'rs.

Dare I say the POHM's, BBC World; everyone is a wannabe IT expert yet the entire foodservice et al industry is overwhelmingly EU. Leave it out Guv?

meshpig
04-19-2016, 12:55 AM
... The pretty lousy tour through the British Parliament fired up all the logic and reasoning of us becoming a Republic. Westminster is all smoke and mirrors but the Brits have a way of celebrating crankiness.

ALPforce
04-19-2016, 01:06 AM
Well , this is what I did :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCZkf_oh8qE

That was almost the only moment with no rain though :)
So whatever anyone does in London for a week, bring your umbrella ;)

meshpig
04-19-2016, 01:37 AM
So whatever anyone does in London for a week, bring your umbrella ;)

I did and we needed it, but didn't see rain in Israel. Remember the word in Latin "Umbra" means shadow. Unbrellas are for shade before rain. Tourist.

meshpig
04-19-2016, 02:02 AM
-Rain

- Noticed a lot more Green () than the last time I was in Israel 15 yrs ago.

meshpig
04-19-2016, 05:47 AM
If Britain leaves the EU, bearing in mind it's reticence to begin with... POHM's they will remain, imho. A 'Constitutional Monarchy' is meant to diffuse rather than concentrate the power of the State. Seems the Brit Monarchy extends only mediocrity to it's would be subjects at the taxpayers expense.

meshpig
04-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Prisoner Of Her Majesty, the third 'body' of the Westminster system but only in Britain... a big fat fart for nothing.

meshpig
04-19-2016, 08:25 AM
- "Innovation for an exciting life" on the Champs-Élysées. The Ferrari shop in Milan had one too. Cars? When fast trains reach 987 kph we'll all be formula 1.

meshpig
04-19-2016, 08:41 AM
Yeah and don't be fooled by the CNN/BBC World Investor fantasy, Milan is grey and dull too.

glebe digital
04-19-2016, 08:46 AM
You see better why I wanted a YES vote in Scotland's indy ref.....? we had one chance.......

meshpig
04-19-2016, 09:08 AM
- Meshpig's semi-global analysis:-

Wife was so drunk this morning jet lag time negotiating Dubai F'ing Airport for lack of sleep and Vodka for breakfast, attracted the attention of the authorities. Worked out fine as ended up with 3 seats for 2. How precious is flying?

meshpig
04-19-2016, 10:47 AM
You see better why I wanted a YES vote in Scotland's indy ref.....? we had one chance.......

Yep. Plato and the 'men of state'... healthy doubt where Britain's role in world affairs is concerned.

The thing is one ought to get the F out of a place they don't agree with...

bazsa73
04-19-2016, 01:14 PM
London is very BIG!

meshpig
04-23-2016, 08:38 AM
London is very BIG!

Maybe travel is too Romantic? Everyone in London seems to want to be only an IT expert. The service Industry is replete with Brit style EU trainees... leave it out Guv. Ridiculously expensive Pies with mashed potato.

For half the price you get excellent Fois Gras de Maison and the rest at any local Cafe in Paris.

The trick of course there is Paris is gated, the Banlieue being out of sight.

meshpig
04-23-2016, 08:51 AM
I tell you what too, now after 24 hours sleep. No sooner than I pulled out my blind identifier cane in Paris than they had me que jumped up both the Arc de Triomphe and Tour Eiffel. Britain it was like p*ss off Parky.

meshpig
04-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Travel defrags rather than "broadens" the mind... an expensive version of Sleep. What one gathers is both useful and irrelevant. Bolsters the imagination!!

meshpig
04-23-2016, 09:50 AM
There's something of the real thing in every model...

meshpig
04-23-2016, 10:39 AM
... Travelling whichever way is like your veritable backside is always exposed to any and every kind of protocol. The difference between you and your credit card.

MarcusM
04-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Going there on ITEC, thre night, two full days. I plan to walk a lot also to see most important thing. Lte's hope not in rain ;]

c.1
04-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Travel defrags rather than "broadens" the mind... an expensive version of Sleep. What one gathers is both useful and irrelevant. Bolsters the imagination!!

A favourite travel quote from Mr. Lee Roth:

"....take the traveller and the tourist, the essential difference is, the traveller don't know where he's going and the tourist don't know where he is......"

BokadCastle
04-27-2016, 10:35 PM
I plan to walk a lot also to see most important thing.
I found the underground simple, cheap - and I didn't get lost.
- just full of poms, is all.