PDA

View Full Version : Rhiggit2 plus CMU BVH mocap: legs swapped?

Spinland
12-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Taking my first steps into applying BVH mocap onto a Rhiggit2 rigged character. Apart from some weirdness where Layout would often crash trying to apply the retargeting, I think I have it mostly worked out except for one thing: the left and right feet end up swapped so the character walks cross-legged. I tried using a couple of other BVH files from the same source (the CMU archive, ported over to Motion Builder format) and get the same problem. Is this some sort of incompatibility with the CMU BVH files?

I'm attaching a sample scene exhibiting the problem, with the BVH file I'm using also included. Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

NOTE: Okay, the file upload seems to be broken. I've tried multiple times using both Safari and Chrome and after I click upload there's a brief interlude with the spinning icon then nothing. No file available to insert into the post. The only other way I know of to provide the file is with a link to a share site, so here it is on DropBox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3s5re4ymipqygc/swapped.zip?dl=1

RebelHill
12-12-2015, 05:21 AM
Its because you're not matching the base pose... splayed legs on one, straight legs on the other, one stood on the ground, the other floating below it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PgNXjHJTv4&t=02m47s

Spinland
12-12-2015, 06:03 AM
Ah, got it. Thank you, sir. I figured it was something simple and silly as I learn the ropes.

Many thanks, and kudos for your awesome Rhiggit product. Words can't do it justice.

Spinland
12-12-2015, 06:07 AM
Ah, quick related question: in the case of the CMU rig being so far below the "ground," does it matter whether I raise the CMU rig or lower the Rhiggit one?

RebelHill
12-12-2015, 06:22 AM
It might... the whole thing actually uses a scale lookup to try ad create the match, using the rigs main parents as "markers"... This should let it be flexible, but to be sure, for best results, you should have both stood on the ground, Y=0, and ideally have their topmost parent nulls at Y=0 (being in this case the BVH-master ad GlobalRoot nulls)... so just drag the BVH-Hips up to have the mocap standing on the ground.

Spinland
12-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Great, thanks again! Happy Holly-Daze to you and yours!

Spinland
12-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Quick followup because that's what I do. As you no doubt expected, because your process is sound and solid (if one bothers to follow it), everything is now working swimmingly and I'm one happy Spinny.

One of the many reasons I chose Lightwave over Maya or 3DS for my professional work is the great community and the accessible developers. I've used all three as a student and here is where I hung my hat.

Many thanks again!