PDA

View Full Version : Gear VR Content Workflow

amused
12-10-2015, 07:55 PM
I did try some searches but I must not be using the right terms.

I want to create some simple scenes in Lightwave (2015) and use them to create some test content for the Samsung Gear VR system. It would be a small portion of the downtown of a city made up of a couple of streets that cross and some simple colored blocks of different shapes for the buildings. At first I want to render cube/spherical maps so I can look around in 360 3D, but eventually maybe move the camera through the scene as well.

What is the workflow to get from Lightwave to Samsung Gear VR content?

Sorry this is so basic, but I get the impression that from Lightwave I'd import (what exactly) to Unity, then... ?

Pointers to pre-existing tutorials or a good book/website appreciated!

Thanks!

blueshift
12-10-2015, 09:30 PM
I don't know about the technical issues of VR but I thought I might steer you to Daz 3D's website where you can pickup Dystopia city blocks for LW for free http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Dystopia+City+Blocks that gives you 20 city blocks of various buildings no need to model your own.

ConjureBunny
12-10-2015, 10:34 PM
The workflow for the GearVR is basically the same for any other Unity based game on the iPhone or Android, only that you can count on a massive speed hit from the barrel distortion correction. If your users don't mind the barrel distortion, or if you use a headset with very little distortion, you can clear 70fps pretty easily for a light scene.

You want to keep it over 30fps if possible, to minimize nausea.

Treat the Unity Profiler as your New Best Friend, and keep a lookout for multiple draw calls.

Use static batching where possible.

And if you're trying to create spherical content, you can't beat Ubercam for Lightwave.

Also, I'm doing a daily show (roughly) on YouTube at the moment showing the pipeline between Unity and LightWave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdXeIHCuheM

I'll hit the GearVR towards the end of that, in about a week. All of this stuff applies there though.

-Chilton

djwaterman
12-11-2015, 03:57 AM
Unrelated, but I was interested enough to download those city blocks. I loaded them into LW and did some renders. They could be good for far background detail, or for paint over matte painting compositions.

pinkmouse
12-11-2015, 04:10 AM
Do you need Poser to use them?

wesleycorgi
12-11-2015, 06:28 AM
I've used the Dystopia buildings in projects before. They are LWO native; so no Poser/Daz3D reqired.

amused
12-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Conjure - I know you told me some important stuff, but it's too advanced at the moment. I'll get there! I just downloaded Unity for the first time a few hours ago and was able to make a box and move the camera past it and see the result by clicking around and trying things. I need to spend some time with the documentation and tutorials, but I can see that this will get me where I want to go. Thanks!

blueshift - The DAZ models are interesting, thanks!

ConjureBunny
12-11-2015, 10:24 AM
There's a ton of free training material out there, tons of videos, and their forums are fairly responsive to questions. It's all very learnable in short order.

That said, I also created some training material that condenses the important stuff down to little chunks, and that approaches all of this from a LightWave centric view, which includes a sample project with LightWave assets and Unity assets, with 2 hours of video narration, here:
http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/08/intro-to-unity3d-for-lightwave3d-users/

You can do eeet!

-Chilton

DCjr
12-15-2015, 03:01 AM
Hi Chilton
I just tried to prep my rendered output - in Quicktime I exported it as an MPEG4 like you did on your Youtube Immersive Ubercam video. Then I downloaded the 360 Video Metadata Tool app.
I ran it and loaded up the export movie - the MPEG 4 file, and the Metadata Tool said that the MPEG had no metadata found. That was it.
I couldn't get past that. I had to check Spherical and 3D Top-Bottom in order to save out the video from the matador tool. But I wasn't prompted to inject the data.

Is there a way to inject the file. (I even managed to get it to load on Youtube on my iPhone but no cool 360 playback.

Here is the matadata tool. My metadata tool does not the same as the one you had in your youtube video.

ConjureBunny
12-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Interesting. I'll take another look at all of this today in case things changed.