PDA

View Full Version : Making an animation completely portable: which export formats?

jeric_synergy
12-10-2015, 12:05 AM
A while back I posted a query regarding a setup that would nodally trigger displacements by proximity to a control null.

Sadly, LW has a bug (verified by RH and submitted) that makes such a rig non-portable, within LW itself. It will only work where it is constructed, any translation or rotation mucks it up. :grumpy:

FINE! It'll be months, if ever, before that gets fixed. So my question is: how can I record these displacements to the object such that it IS portable? I understand it will no longer be interactive to the control null, the displacement will be "canned" and need to be re-"rendered" to be altered, but I'm resigned to this. I just need to know how one records a sequence of displacements in a way that allows one to move, rotate, and scale the displacing object with complete freedom.

Thanks!

prometheus
12-10-2015, 02:57 AM
Ehh..whatīs wrong with mdd scanning?

try clothfx scan motion, set playback to local.

jeric_synergy
12-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Did I >SAY< anything is wrong with mdd scanning??

jeric_synergy
12-11-2015, 12:14 AM
Playback of the MDD file results in the object being locked in place, and unable to be rotated, whether MD_Reader is set to World or Object Space.

Thomas Leitner
12-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Playback of the MDD file results in the object being locked in place, and unable to be rotated, whether MD_Reader is set to World or Object Space.

It works fine here (2015.3). With the classic MD_Reader as displacement modifier and the MDD Displacement node (set to Match By "Nodes").

ciao
Thomas

prometheus
12-11-2015, 05:02 AM

No it does not...follow my advice and you will get it working, I reckon you didnīt use cloth fx to scan it, I didnīt even bother about messing with world or object space, in the file tab of clothfx..again, set playback mode to local.and it should work

I reckon you used other mdd plugins, and in such cases listen to the poster above me, personally I think it is simpler and faster to just use clothfx, you just save the scan directly and replay it without loading it again..since it is already loaded after using clothfx.

prometheus
12-11-2015, 05:07 AM
Did I >SAY< anything is wrong with mdd scanning??

No you didnīt ...I asked it that way since I do not understand why you didnīt try that...that doesnīt imply I said something like what you are stating...does it?

jeric_synergy
12-11-2015, 09:33 AM
...that doesnīt imply I said something like what you are stating...does it?
Yes, it does.

prometheus
12-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Yes, it does.

very strange..I thought people would recognize such prase as a hint or question about..have you tried mdd scanning and in such case ..did it work or not...but with other words and prhazes, maybe that is something that doesnīt work in english?

Well lesson learned, my language wasnīt perceived that way.
Sorry jeric..but I donīt understand why you are hooked up on that phrase, If you donīt get it as a question and perceive it as I am correcting you or am mubling in limbo, well...lets drop that, did you get it to work with clothFx, that is better to focus on.

Greenlaw
12-11-2015, 10:33 AM

That's weird...moving/rotating/scaling an .mdd scan works here when set to local. Which version/platform are you using? I'm currently using 2015.3 but I've used .mdd fairly routinely in every Win x64 version without that issue.

Is this only with the nodal reader? Are you seeing the same issue with other .mdd readers? How about scanning and loading into ClothFX? It shouldn't be necessary but I know ClothFX does scans a little differently than other .mdd scanners so you can get different uses from it.

prometheus
12-11-2015, 11:01 AM
How about scanning and loading into ClothFX? It shouldn't be necessary but I know ClothFX does scans a little differently than other .mdd scanners so you can get different uses from it.

I tried to asked that question before, didnīt get any reply on it, I did get a question about my question though, questioning if it was a question or something else...haha, well I guess your way of putting it is how to properly ask something:D

for me as I have mentioned before, scanning with clothfx and set playback mode to local does the trick, remains to see if that is what jeric has used, or if he donīt want to use that..it should work, unless he comes back and says it doesnt:D