PDA

View Full Version : Layout 2015.3 crashes on scene save

DrStrik9
12-09-2015, 04:02 PM
This is happening EVERY time I save this particular scene. The scene has Bullet, GI w/ HDR texture environment, no lights, and a few simple objects. Every time it crashes, I have to open the scene again, and it has to re-calculate the Bullet sim. There are no warnings, and the scene re-opens just fine each time.

It's not a killer, just a huge waste of time.

Anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening, and how it can be fixed? (Sorry, can't share the scene.)

Thanks for any insight.

EDIT: Oh, and the other weird thing is that VPR is completely different than renders. VPR is showing no shadows, while shadows are definitely in the renders.

lertola2
12-09-2015, 07:08 PM
I would trash my configs and rebuild them and see if that fixes it.

DrStrik9
12-09-2015, 08:18 PM
OK I'll give that a try. Thanks.

EDIT: No, this does not solve the problem. It seems the scene is possibly corrupted, but even saving it as a new scene name does not correct the problem. Each time I save it, Layout bombs.

Frustrating.

DrStrik9
12-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Victory! :+) I solved it by going back to an older version of the scene and basically rebuilding recent changes, including loading newer versions of objects from what was apparently a corrupted scene which passed its corruption on to any files saved from it. This time it saved as usual with no bomb. WHEW! :+)

Sensei
12-10-2015, 02:46 AM
Compare .lws which is crashing with not crashing in text editor to find differences..

lertola2
12-10-2015, 06:52 AM
If you have time you could package the bad scene and objects and send it to the developers along with a bug report. If they can fix it others wont have to suffer the same frustration you went through.

magiclight
12-11-2015, 04:48 AM
Put both scene files on https://www.diffnow.com/ it's pretty good at detecting differences even if things have moved around in the files.

(or download some text compare software if you don't want to put the files there)

DrStrik9
12-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Put both scene files on https://www.diffnow.com/ it's pretty good at detecting differences even if things have moved around in the files.

(or download some text compare software if you don't want to put the files there)

Thanks for that link. I tried it, but it only goes to the first 2000 lines of each file. I saw nothing weird in the first 2000 lines. I looked around for other text comparison apps, but found nothing I wanted to buy. :D