PDA

View Full Version : Any questions about Unity <-> LightWave?

ConjureBunny
12-09-2015, 12:18 PM
First off, I'm really stoked about the latest (free) update to Unity, 5.3. It brings a ton of bug fixes and new features to the table.

Personally, I'm having a great time mixing Unity and LightWave for projects, as they seem to be a perfect fit.

I'm putting together a new pro training video series for Unity at the moment, specifically for LightWave users, and I'm curious if anyone's having any specific problems they'd like some help with, or if you have any suggestions for what kinds of things you'd like to see explained.

Thanks!
-Chilton Webb

Gratuitous pic of Ghostblade, modeled in LW, pic from Unity 5:

jeric_synergy
12-09-2015, 10:22 PM
So, JUST started playing with Unity (distracted by game content!) and am wondering: where is the greatest LEVERAGE of my massive knowledge of LW going to be in re: Unity???

ConjureBunny
12-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Without knowing what your strong suits are, I'd say anything dealing with modeling, animation, and making things look nice.

The reason I keep pushing Unity for LW users is that there's a pretty sizable market there (the Unity asset store) with a lot of crap in it. There's a lot of good stuff, too, but I'd say at least half of the time I've bought assets from the store, I needed to eventually go back and tweak something in LW.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
12-09-2015, 11:17 PM
And seriously, the Instant Turntable system should make it really trivial to bring stuff into Unity and play with it, and send it to clients and potential clients. That was my intent. I was trying to think of a thing that would help get you to the prototype stage almost immediately.

-Chilton

mummyman
12-10-2015, 07:21 AM
Agreed... I'm trying to figure out a way to take advantage of it. This tool seems great. I've tried out of the box Unity stuff and it really isn't all that straightforward without tutorials... and lots of testing. This makes a few tedious things super easy to get up and get going. Of course, almost redoing a textured scene makes it tedious too... but it's a great place to be in once the legwork is done. I do lots of organic animation (think animated displacement procedurals) So once I get that working and time to play...then it's a fun tool to have on hand.