PDA

View Full Version : What happend to the export UV to EPS?

pnevai
12-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Have not needed to create UV maps in a while, but now that I have to I for the life of me cannot figure out where in LW2015 the utility or the ability to export a UV map to an EPS file so I can paint it in photoshop has disappeared to. I would hate to have to open the object up back in LW10 just to do this or, am I back to opening the UV map on the screen and doing screen grabs again? Input is much appreciated.

Thomas Leitner
12-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Should be here:
File>Export>EPS

ciao
Thomas

jeric_synergy
12-09-2015, 10:44 PM
If it's in the dox, it's really hard to find IMO. Please report as "documentation bug".

("Export EPS" not found. "Export" too many hits. "EPS" too many hits.)

Thomas Leitner
12-10-2015, 12:08 AM
If it's in the dox, it's really hard to find IMO. Please report as "documentation bug".

It's in the manual (Chapter 14 Introduction to Modeler > Interface > Exporting Objects).

ciao
Thomas

spherical
12-10-2015, 02:43 AM

Yes. An excellent example of how much PDF search sucks.

djwaterman
12-10-2015, 02:46 AM
It's one of those things that is not obvious, it would be best if it was accessed through the UV window perhaps.

prometheus
12-10-2015, 02:50 AM
I donīt see any problems with my 2015 installation, itīs there under file/export/eps

the lightwave team has also made a special tab for all kinds of export called I/O for input output..and the Eps export button can be found there too.

jeric_synergy
12-10-2015, 10:00 AM
It's in the manual (Chapter 14 Introduction to Modeler > Interface > Exporting Objects).
ciao
Thomas
But, this isn't exporting an object, it's just a fancy type of screengrab. You can save the mesh as a pdf (something I often forget) OR the UV window as a flat vector file, but those seem like intrinsically different things to moi. YMMV.

I'm happy it's there, but if it's not findable in the dox, how are noobs supposed to find it? Hopefully that info is repeated in the UV section.

Thomas Leitner
12-11-2015, 01:13 AM
But, this isn't exporting an object, it's just a fancy type of screengrab. You can save the mesh as a pdf (something I often forget) OR the UV window as a flat vector file, but those seem like intrinsically different things to moi. YMMV.

I'm happy it's there, but if it's not findable in the dox, how are noobs supposed to find it? Hopefully that info is repeated in the UV section.

To be fair, itīs not only exporting the UV window, you can also export the object from top, front and side view. And itīs the object you export, even though in a very flat manner ;-)

ciao
Thomas

p.s.: itīs mentioned in the map explanation too.

prometheus
12-11-2015, 04:52 AM

Why discussing it around object export at all? and itīs not a fancy screengrab...if we stay on topic, eps isnīt any 3d object type, it is however encapsulated postscript object, and if you export eps, you can import to illustrator and edit the paths..with screengrabs you can not do that.

I donīt understand why all this fuzz about it not being in proper places, I think the lw team has put it in a proper place..input output (I/O) tab..where you have all the input and output commands gathered...yeah, maybe it could/should be there in the uv tab as well..but no one is stopping you from making that menu yourself...otherwise itīs logical to look through the main panels when you are a newbie to find out what is there.
the main menu tab is Always visible and if you read those 12-13 tabs, which everyone Should do before scratching their heads where stuff are...it will be easy to find the I/O tab and if you do not know what it is, click on it and find out...the lightwave docs says it is in the interchange tab...ergo you know it is in one tab..and you should be able to find the I/O at least itīs not that hard from my viewpoint.

maybe a complaint could be that it might be easier to follow if they in the doc says, interchange tab followed by I/O or simply rename the I/O to interchange tab or import/export..thereīs room for it in default settings anyway.

Dexter2999
12-11-2015, 09:56 AM
To be fair. Screengrab would be raster info. EPS is point and vector info. Flat, yes, but still more complex than a screengrab.

prometheus
12-11-2015, 10:04 AM
To be fair. Screengrab would be raster info. EPS is point and vector info. Flat, yes, but still more complex than a screengrab.

yes..wat I was trying to say, screengrab is raster/image info, eps is point and curve editable paths..useful to edit in illustrator..if one would like to make patterns or offset the flat line art, also useful to scale and use as print templates for all kinds of stuff, for making paper cuts, or templates to cut for gingerbread at christmas time :) though it would be enough with a print screen for that matter.
I am sure one can use both lightwave to create flat patterns, then export eps to illustrator and further enhance and edit for even more complex pattern, then export from illustrator back in to import to lightwave for extrusions of geometry that are quite complex....this is spinning off topic though.

one use is to export paths made in lightwave by curves or even by the line pen tool, so if you create wall guides or network guides with the linepen, or roads with curve tools, you can go to object path/offset path it in illustrator and also merge joints etc, then send it back to lightwave as roads or walls.

gerry_g
12-11-2015, 11:39 AM
doesn't Illustrator turn all paths plotted between points into straight lines, meaning any interpolation between points would be lost on export from LW and conversely any interpolated vectors imported into LW are attributed an arbitrary number of points to the curve rather than a uniform one which usually makes for a ton of cleaning up

prometheus
12-11-2015, 02:19 PM
doesn't Illustrator turn all paths plotted between points into straight lines, meaning any interpolation between points would be lost on export from LW and conversely any interpolated vectors imported into LW are attributed an arbitrary number of points to the curve rather than a uniform one which usually makes for a ton of cleaning up

yes..that I think is correct, you would have to select the points and change handles to smooth to get smooth curves, I will test a bit more though before discussing it more about points etc.

jeric_synergy
12-11-2015, 06:48 PM
p.s.: itīs mentioned in the map explanation too.
But is it findable with reasonable search terms?

Thomas Leitner
12-12-2015, 01:36 AM
But is it findable with reasonable search terms?

I found it!

Yes:
Search therm ".eps": secound hit.
Search therm "encapsulated postscript": secound hit.
Search therm "eps": secound hit in table of contents (capter "Interchange Tab").

But hey, itīs a full-text search. Itīs absurd to to think you can find a common phrase easily. You cannot blame LW3D Group for that.
Another thing is the table of contents and where they place it in the GUI. But nothing wrong with eps export in this cases, itīs exactly where it should be!

ciao
Thomas

p.s.: This Thread becomes more and more funny. It should have ended after the second posting. Some people have definitely too much time ;-)

jeric_synergy
12-12-2015, 11:11 AM
The OP couldn't find it. I couldn't find it. And we both knew it existed.