PDA

View Full Version : Which operating system is best for lightwave?

Juno Reft
12-09-2003, 09:02 AM
i wanted to know which of the two, mac's or pc's were better for lightwave creations.

pauland
12-09-2003, 04:33 PM
If you are going to try and cause a fuss for nothing, you might as well try and get the subject to match the question.

I suspect that the Amiga is best.

Paul

koots
12-09-2003, 05:49 PM
i use a duel processor pc and it works great. My vote is for PC but i am sure just as many people would vote mac. personal perferance i guess
-jonn

Aegis
12-09-2003, 06:16 PM
I'll second that Amiga vote - now if NewTek'll only release 8 for my trusty ol' A1200... :D

Ade
12-09-2003, 07:22 PM
in this order:

Amiga - irix SGI - Windows - mac...

hrgiger
12-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Well some people will tell you the mac because the new 64 bit processors can access more RAM. However, it's not really that important since Lightwave doesn't really support a 64 bit platform yet.

I would just say pc just because most plug-ins are available for pc where sometimes it can be quite limiting on the Mac.

Same for the DFX deal that Newtek is running. PC only as I understand it.

unc1e meat
12-12-2003, 11:05 PM
I use Lightwave 7.5c on both Windows and Mac. I use it with a dual xeon 2.2 ghz with 1 gig ram and a nvidia quadro 2 pro card. On mac I run it on a powerbook g4 1.33 ghz with a ati 9600.

That being said, I only use the windows machine when I absolutely have to, such as rendering large time consuming scenes. Otherwise, I use the mac to model and setup scenes unless they get to be too big for the ati mobility card.

Lightwave is equally stable on either platform although with the new Mac OS 10.3 release, the graph editor is now broken. Hopefully Newtek will wake up soon and release a patch. Other than that, there really isn't much of a difference in how lightwave runs on the two platforms. It's better to focus on the artwork rather than the paintbrush used to paint it :-) Happy lighwavin

Rei
12-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Ill second the vote for IRIX, however your hardware will cost you so much you might as well get houdini instead... heh.

ackees
12-13-2003, 03:56 PM
The current Mac build was never fully completed, itís like walking on a bridge blindfolded with holes in the bridge, any moment you could fall through. I only hope that 8 will receive a proper Mac build. The Mac version of LW keeps trying to make the Mac behave like a PC. LW was never optimised to use the Mac properly so it runs like molasses in winter.

unc1e meat
12-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Maybe I'm not working on anything too complex because all the features of Lightwave that I use on mac and pc work fine except for graph editor on mac.

Other than that, I have not experience any problems with Lightwave on mac.

Andyjaggy
12-19-2003, 11:42 AM
I use lightwave on both Mac and PC, in my experience the PC has outperformed the Mac substantially, however I think it is that way because my PC is alot newer then the Mac that I use. In the end it doesn't matter. the computer is just a tool, just personal preference. Of coarse if your paintbrush is broken I suppose the tool would matter.