PDA

View Full Version : rendered clips not fading to black

ACTVSEN
12-09-2003, 08:33 AM
We have been putting together some brief rendered clips that are supposed to fade to black, but haven't been. They start to fade but stop about half way through the fade so you still see part of the final image. We've been dragging the lower right of the cruton to put the fade on.

any suggestions???

we're using Video Toaster 2.

Jim Capillo
12-09-2003, 09:02 AM
You need to make a black clip and drag it out to the front/back to fade all the way. Overlap like a regular dissolve.

ACTVSEN
12-09-2003, 09:24 AM
thanks for the reponse.

Yes we can make the black clip or just drag a DVE (dip to black) in, but we're wondering why the fade function (which is much faster) isn't working within the cruton...

Jim Capillo
12-09-2003, 09:28 AM
I noticed that many moons ago..... but never thought too much about it - I just grab the black clip all the time now and use that.

ted
12-09-2003, 10:42 AM
This is a result of VT's "Feature" ability to "Hold" the last frame of a clip until the next clip comes up.
I guess the downside is that the fade doesn't actually ever get to black. We just add a black clip from habit.

Scott Bates
12-09-2003, 10:45 AM
As I recall it's always been this way and I think Andrew posted some kind of explanation for it way back in the annals of VT[x] history. The other way to solve the problem, if there's audio with your project/clips, is to extend the audio at least one frame beyond the video. Haven't actually tried it myself, but others say it works.

Jim Capillo
12-09-2003, 11:04 AM
I think you're right, Scott. I recall editing an ad that had the music bed extending a few seconds at the end and even after I put a fade in it, the video went to black without me throwing the black clip up. Didn't think too much about it at the time, but now it makes sense.....

bradl
12-09-2003, 10:06 PM
For this reason we have always used the following. You only have to set this up once:

Fade Up From Black:
Create a black png. Overlay on. Keyframe (node) it to alpha fade from 255 to 0 for 20 frames. Drag this clip (instance) back to your V: drive root (or wherever) and name it FadeUpFromBlack.

Fade To Black:
Do just the opposite, but this time 22 frames long, with a keyframed alpha fade from 0 to 255 over 20 frames. That way you hit black completely with a frame to spare. Drag this back to your bin and name it FadeToBlack.

Now anytime you need a Fade To Black or a Fade Up From Black, just drag and drop. The great thing about this is, it will take your timeline to black no matter how many layers are active at that point (i.e. you don't have to fiddle with fading 3 or 4 layers).

The extra two frame of black is a practice we have used for years in the linear edit bays and we adopted it for NLE as well. It gives you enough space for another editor to do a spot replacement quickly without clipping off any of the existing video which used to happen when two spots were so tight together.

For print to tape I also often drop a still of black at the end just ensure the timeline rolls into the clear.

ArthurDent
12-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by bradl
Fade Up From Black:
Create a black png. Overlay on. Keyframe (node) it to alpha fade from 255 to 0 for 20 frames. Drag this clip (instance) back to your V: drive root (or wherever) and name it FadeUpFromBlack.

Fade To Black:
Do just the opposite, but this time 22 frames long, with a keyframed alpha fade from 0 to 255 over 20 frames. That way you hit black completely with a frame to spare. Drag this back to your bin and name it FadeToBlack.

Brad failed to mention that the reason we do this is because we usually do 20 frame dissolves. Obviously you could make it 15 or 30 or whatever - or one of each. But the 2 extra frames at the end is a nice touch. Keeps everything clean and tidy.

Probably that was clear but I just wanted to make sure.

AD
"Don't Panic"