PDA

View Full Version : Fading instances over time.... Possible?

nnasr.rm
12-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Hi,
I'm using a particle emitter as an instance. My instances are individual letters. Currently they are popping to life and out of life. Is there a way to make them dissolve in and out. Or maybe even just scale in and out over their life.
I'm really bad with the node editor :( so if it works by node editor I would really appreciate extra detail. :)))))

jeric_synergy
12-06-2015, 10:10 PM
I started a run at your problem, but then I realized you used the term "life", which makes me think that a Particle system solution would be more appropriate.

Off the top of my head I disremember how to get Particles and Instancing to feed info to each other if you, for example, wanted a Rectangular Array (a Type option in Instancer), but I'm sure it's possible.

Looking at the Instancer dialog, there seems to be a lack of "lifetime"-type parameters, so I'm reassured about my suspicion. I suspect you want a Flocking/Particle solution, not an Instancing solution.

m.d.
12-06-2015, 10:25 PM
you can take a particle age...I think through DPkit nodes, run into a gradient and tie that to scale for individual instance scaling.

Unfortunately it will take some diving into the node editor to pull it off...not in front of my machine ATM so I can't help much....but it should be possible.

m.d.
12-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Bryphi's got it laid out for you here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkexBfUMPa8

He is using DP instancer....which is using LW native instancer, but has a few advantages.
DP instance is a volumetric instancer....so make sure you are using the right one...DP instancer is the one you want

I think the same is possible with LW native instancer....but sometimes plugging in 3rd party nodes causes crashing

nnasr.rm
12-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Hi,
I'm using a particle emitter but I want to stick on it geometry. So to do that I used light wave instances. Because fx linker is really crappy and you can't go back if you want to change something and it clutters your whole scene file. Instances is working great and super fast. But I just need the particles to appear In a more elegant way. Scaling in or dissolving. I really am bad with node editor

- - - Updated - - -

It would be great if at your earliest convenience you show me how to do it. I'll try but my brain is too old school lightwave style :))))

jeric_synergy
12-06-2015, 11:05 PM
More fooling around.... if your INSTANCER object is a particle emitter, one of the Instancer types is "Particles". You'll need to find a way to get the particles to adhere to the surface in question.

So, I'm assuming you used the Instancer "Surface" type for your test?

m.d.
12-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Try following along with that YouTube video I linked....
It's fairly easy....relative particle age inputs into a gradient node that inputs into the instances scale node.
The scale will be controlled by the color of the gradient....and it can go beyond 1 if you need it to, just set the color to 2 etc.
As well the gradient can fade in and out....it looks from top down and the age will probably be in seconds. So as a particle is younger, colors higher up on the gradient will be output as scale....and as it gets older, the lower down the gradient it goes.

That's about as much as I can give you from my phone :)
It's quite easy .... And welcome to nodes :)

- - - Updated - - -

More fooling around.... if your INSTANCER object is a particle emitter, one of the Instancer types is "Particles". You'll need to find a way to get the particles to adhere to the surface in question.

So, I'm assuming you used the Instancer "Surface" type for your test?
Emit from object with no velocity.....

lertola2
12-10-2015, 07:44 AM
It is easy to control the size of instances by particle age. The attached image show how to set it up.

nnasr.rm
12-30-2015, 03:17 PM
It is easy to control the size of instances by particle age. The attached image show how to set it up.

Thank you very very much this helped greatly :))))

jeric_synergy
12-30-2015, 07:48 PM

Well presented, lertola! :bowdown: You're a credit to the forum.

lertola2
12-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Thanks. One thing to note is that you can't let the particles die. It seems that if the particle lifetime is shorter than the length of the animation then particle control stops working when the particles start to die.

jeric_synergy
12-31-2015, 12:25 AM
??? You mean, for all particles? -Seems report-worthy.