PDA

View Full Version : Hdtv & uhdtv

dalecampbelljr
12-05-2015, 07:52 AM
I am starting to explore larger render sizes for a future project. I know this could open a can of worm but I am looking for feed back on "starting basic" render setting for larger format sizes for my cameras. ie.
-Camera settings as far as Min/Max Samples setting
-Reconstruction Filter setting
-Sampling Pattern setting

Render Settings
-Shading/Light Sample settings

Any suggestions on how I should start things off?
Again so I am clear I am looking for a good starting point.

Thanks in advance!

dalecampbelljr
12-05-2015, 11:26 AM
So Nothing? From Anyone?

magiclight
12-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Number of samples and reconstruction filter is pretty much resolution independent, can't see any reason why you would need any special settings for a different resolution, reconstruction filter is more a question of the look you are after and or possibly what the final result will be used for, not resolution.
But it gets more important to get samples as low as possible without loosing quality if you go 4K/8K UHDTV I guess to keep down render times...

And it's a pretty huge step from HDTV to UHDTV.

Kevbarnes
12-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Any suggestions on how I should start things off? Again so I am clear I am looking for a good starting point. Thanks in advance!

There is not much to offer apart from experimentation!

shading/light samples can be dependent on shading style ie cartoon flat colour or photo realistic?
Anti-Aliasing samples can be dependant on how noisy your textures are,
or whether you are using procedural textures, image maps or shaders
reconstruction Filter - I think is a matter of personnel taste

but try this for starters:-

set
ray Recursion 3 - this reduces the number of reflections processed in reflective surfaces.
Shading & light samples 4
Camera Perspective
Min Samples 2
Maximum between 4 - 8
Reconstruction Mitchell
Sampling Classic

You may not need Adaptive sampling - but if you do try
Threshold 0.03
over sample 0.15

-------
In a static image, say for print, Noise is not so much of a problem, as you can blur or
blend textures in 'post' using Photoshop. But when animating, noise in textures can
cause surfaces to flicker or twinkle (for want of a better adjective). which is where anti-aliasing
comes in, Adaptive sampling helps with concentrating anti-aliasing to a defined threshold.
effectively limiting the number Anti-aliasing passes.

----
One way of evaluating how many anti-aliasing passes you need for a given image
is to set Shading/Light samples to 1
anti-aliasing Min Samples to 1
Max to something daft like 200
Adaptive Sampling to On
Threshold test 0.01

In the General tab set preview to 640x 480,
Press F9
Watch the white anti-aliasing passes displayed on the render
(You can use 'Limited region' to test discrete areas of the image - to reduce Time)
and wait for the anti-aliasing effect to diminish to nothing and check the % complete bar
reduce the number to that % of you original setting and test again.
ref attached image

This image is indicating that at 38 % complete there are few pixels to anti-alias (shown by white spots)
initial setting was 200 so 200 x 0.38 = 76

eventually you get a number that co-insides with 100 % complete at the moment when no more
white spots are generated

you then split this figure (say it comes to 64 passes or 32 passes)
between the shading samples and Maximum samples as a multiplying factor
ie shading is 4,
so maximum is set at 64/4 = 16 ..... check ... shading samples x Max anti-aliasing samples 4x16 = 64

This will generally give you animated-noise free textures for a static camera during an animation, if the camera is moving you can relax this max setting sometimes by half.

-------------------------

I'm not sure of some of the technical descriptions I have given here - but some other guys my chip in with a better explanation.

there is RebellHill video which explains this better

regards kev