PDA

View Full Version : Texturing/material help

jhopfenblatt
12-09-2003, 07:09 AM
I'm really new to lw and I was wondering if anybody can give me tips on how to make realistic and cool looking glass/ice/chrome surfaces. I want to make stuff with those types of surfaces, but have so far been unsuccessful at getting them to a point where I like them or that look realistic enough. Any help is appreciated :)

peteb
12-10-2003, 02:13 PM
There's some good tutorials on glass and the like if you have a look around. One thing with glass is to get the refraction right. Always creat a copy of you glass model enlarge it a bit an invert it. This you will use to simulate air. Air has a different refraction to glass so you need to tell Lightwave that when it comes out of the glass it needs to bend the light back to the fraction of air. Air has a refraction of 0 and glass is about 1.54 but it varies, if you've got your manual about it's got a good table of different refractions. Also metal has a very low diffuse and mirrors have none. So for metal use a diffuse of about 65% or chrome a lot lower and for glass 0 although I usually give it about 5% because I can't believe it doesn't retain some light, but I'm probably wrong :)
Heres a link to a good tutorial

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWPacks/LWGlass/LWGlass-1.html

Steve McRae
12-11-2003, 07:09 AM
what might help as well jhopfenblatt is to take apart some scenes on the lightwave cd and examine how they put the materials together - it is a great way to learn!

SplineGod
12-12-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by jhopfenblatt
I'm really new to lw and I was wondering if anybody can give me tips on how to make realistic and cool looking glass/ice/chrome surfaces. I want to make stuff with those types of surfaces, but have so far been unsuccessful at getting them to a point where I like them or that look realistic enough. Any help is appreciated :)
Theres a lot of tutorials out there. I think one core thing thats a good thing to read up on are gradients. Dave Jerrard has got some very good info on it in the Lightwave Applied book. :)