PDA

View Full Version : Best ethernet hardware?

Johnny
12-09-2003, 07:09 AM
I'm in a position of having to replace a 4-port Ethernet hub which I think has a bad port...while I'm at this, I wonder whether a faster unit would provide me a big benefit when it comes to ScreamerNet?

What I have now is 10baseT. As I recall, the next faster thing was quite a bit more..would this provide quite a bit more efficiency in a ScreamerNet?

thanks!

J

mlinde
12-09-2003, 09:49 AM
There are two things to look at.
1) how fast are your CPU ethernet connections? Do you have mostly 10/100 cards, or gigabit ethernet cards, or are you sitting on 10-baseT hardware? If you have 10/100 you should make sure the switch (see below) is 10/100 as well.

2) Hub v. switch. A hub is sort of like a 4-way stop. It doesn't direct traffic well, but it works if everybody knows what's going on. A switch is more like a roundabout or a traffic light. Everybody gets in and gets where they are going with a minimum of fuss. Ideally, when building a rendering network, you want to use switches, because you get better throughput.

eblu
12-09-2003, 11:18 AM
o and if all you have is late model macs, perhaps you could be looking into gig ethernet (1000BT).

there are even tools to let you share data across a Firewire Network (which is substantially different to setup).

Johnny, what do you have now in the way of networking?
you said you had a 4 port hub, what brand, etc... (the port might not be bad, btw) I suggest asante, best customer service in my exp.
what kind of network is it? Home, work, etc... How many mnachines (its easy to assume 4) is it connected to a cable modem or other type of Internet appliance? Do you run a file server? web server? print server? What kinds of files are generally moved across your network?

sometimes, Its just not cost effective (in the long run) to get 100BT or 1000BT, bc most of your files are too small to see much benefit over 100BT when compared to 10BT.

Johnny
12-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by eblu
up).

Johnny, what do you have now in the way of networking?

the brand is "Allied Telesyn International." I have no server, just the Dual 2Ghz G5, a DP 450 G4 and an iBook (2002, snow). I'd like to see all 3 of these machines in a screamernet, but I think of the G4 and G5 as the serious renderers for that.

Mainly what I do is move projects from one Mac to the other, but I really want to have a Screamernet network. As you say, these aren't huge files; the slave node renders the frame, ships it to the job folder, renders the next frame.

The switch idea sounds better than the hub for reasons mlinde points out.

Reason I think my hub has a bad port is that I can't get a connection with that port..the light flickers, while the other nodes' lights are on steadily. The cable end seats firmly in the socket, so I don't know what else might cause a problem.

J

eblu
12-09-2003, 12:07 PM
j in your documentation, is your hub referred to as "stackable"?
and has that 4th port ever worked?

http://www.asante.com/products/switches/5000/index.html

my guess is that a switch would be overkill for you, and I would suggest the above 5 port 10/100 switchable hub (in this case switchable does not indicate a switch, it means that the hub automatically configures itself to work with both 10 and 100BaseT machines). This is what I have (actually two or three years older than the current model) and it is bar none the quietest, easiest, and overall best hub I have ever had the pleasure of owning. It cost 20 dollars more than the no-name that I had before it, but it was a very sound investment.

now, if you do have broadband you might try getting a DLink router, wireless or otherwise. It works with airport and it also allows you to share your internet connection, as well as being a pretty good hub.

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=38

both of these devices are good for home use. Probably the most bang over buck for you. A switch might come in handy if your were running a fileserver, but since you are sharing files (peer to peer), and not that many, and not all at once, then your overhead with collisions will most likely be a non-issue.

Johnny
12-09-2003, 12:14 PM
thanks...sounds like you've described my needs and situation exactly...thanks for the links!

To answer your other questions, I long chucked the documentation, and I *believe* that I have successfully used all ports..perhaps not all at the same time, but all have been used.

Johnny

eblu
12-09-2003, 01:15 PM
the reason I was asking about the port was that "Stackable hubs" sometimes have a port that looks normal but isn't. It expects to be connected to another hub, and won't work with a cpu connection. This is usually only described in documentation, and not on the box, or in the pretty highlight brochure. The manufacturers simply expect you to know this information, and its not always the case (sheesh) that the port won't work.

http://www.asante.com/products/switches/5000/pdf/fn5000-Manual.pdf

check out this manual for the asante 5 port... in the first page diagram (which is numbered wrong) number 2 describes the "uplink" port, and a switch you have to set to use it.

thats what I think you have in your hub.

Johnny
12-09-2003, 01:37 PM
the reason I was asking about the port was that "Stackable hubs" sometimes have a port that looks normal but isn't. It expects to be connected to another hub, and won't work with a cpu connection.

Interesting...thanks for that info, too!

the asante hubs you talk about aren't nearly as expensive as I expected..which is a good thing..

J

Johnny
12-10-2003, 04:33 PM
OK..this is my unit...from what I know about networking (thimblefull) seems my unit ought to be able to handle 4 computers at once:

http://www.alliedtelesyn.com/allied/products/viewproduct.asp?category=2&id=48&detail=overview&country=2&lang=en (http://)

J

Lynx3d
12-11-2003, 02:25 AM

http://www.asante.com/products/switches/5000/index.html

my guess is that a switch would be overkill for you, and I would suggest the above 5 port 10/100 switchable hub (in this case switchable does not indicate a switch, it means that the hub automatically configures itself to work with both 10 and 100BaseT machines).

The link actually shows a switch, not a dual-speed hub.
And i don't see how a switch could be overkill these days, they are dirt cheap.
I bought a level one 8-port switch (http://www.level1.com/products3.php?sklop=2&id=520118) for less than 30? (so ~$30), always good for spontanious LAN sessions :D

eblu
12-11-2003, 07:28 AM
lynx3d,
you are absolutely right...
http://www.asante.com/products/hubs/index.html

cheapness aside, if a switch doesn't give you any benefits over a hub, its overkill. Its simply a matter of figuring just how much data you will be averaging, and then how much you will peak, and then realistically look at your needs growth. If you will only be using a fraction of the bandwidth from a hub, then a switch is overkill, and the extra money you spend will be a waste.

10-15 machines on one hub all under heavy traffic might be a mess with data collisions, and therefore NEED a switch, but 4-5 with barely trickle just doesn't need a switch, true the money difference might be negligable, but I've found that investing that money in better quality instead of overkill features, leads to a better experience in the long run.

skippy
12-11-2003, 02:07 PM
So, you're saying that if DSL is thrown into the mix, then a Router is what's needed, and can handle the DSL modem in addition to ScreamerNet chores?

s

Lynx3d
12-11-2003, 04:51 PM
You don't _need_ a router with DSL, but it sure is a nice thing to have. You don't have to mess with setting up internet sharing and it handles the DSL modem (at least it should *g* or has already integrated one) and you can surf with all PCs in the network at the same time (until your DSL bandwidth is eaten up :D)

We have a SMC router with integrated 4port switch where my sister's PC is connected and i have an additional Switch in my room connected to the router where i plug in my machines (workstation, notebook and server as necessary)
So my connection goes through 8-port switch then 4-port switch of the router through the router's firewall to the DSL modem...
The router is set to automatically connect when someone requests an address not belonging to the LAN and disconnect after a certain idle-time.