PDA

View Full Version : FBX rig problem

magiclight
11-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Ok, I am about to sound silly again but I have not used bones that much yet so be patient with me.
I have imported an FBX file, in this case it is exported from DAZ Studio, most of the time I have no problem with them but for some reason this one does not work and I cannot figure out why.

After import it looks like this:

A bit wonky and small for some reason, don't talk about the legs, if I try to rotate any joing it goes all bonkers, if I turn of bones it looks like this:

The rabbit is pretty much correct size now but way of the rig.

The rig looks like this in the scene editor:

Stupid as I am I tried to simply move the mesh so it match the rig, then select all bones and press R, I would expect the mesh to stay like that, but when I do that the rabbit get smaller and way of again, can't figure out why it get smaller.

I found a youtube video that solved a problem not to far from this and tried to follow it but no help there either ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyyRJIwj-7E )

After following that video I got this:

I would assume this is some very simple problem once I find out how to fix it...
It's LW 2015.3, all the bones (joints actually) "are weight map only" and the weight maps look correct.

RebelHill
11-30-2015, 05:16 PM
scale everything (mesh, nulls, bones... everything) to 1,1,1.

prometheus
11-30-2015, 05:42 PM
just curious, what daz version? 4.8?

and did you export in what fbx format 2012 binary? did you have animation checked while exporting?

I am confused about the fbx transformer bone, noticed I got whacky stuff sometimes and simply deleting it worked better, not sure what function it fills?
after removing the fbx transformer bone.(for genesis) thereīs also a genesis root bone it seems, that I reorder the genesis shape in scene editor and move it to be unparented from the genesis base root bone.

after that I can rotate or move any bone I want properly witout the bones going offset in whacky ways,but neither using the fbx bone transformer or try rotating the genesis bone with the genisis shape parented beneath will work without it offsetting the bones.
So I delete the fbx transformer bone, and unparent the genisis shape from the genisis main base bone..then it works nicely...not sure it is the proper way, but hey..
With that said..probably something that is completly different to your problem though.

prometheus
11-30-2015, 06:59 PM
I have in my post above mentioned deleting the fbx base bone transformer, that might be completly wrong..it seemed to work..but I was later editing a walk cycle and saving the lws scene, when loading back the editing of bones wont work correctly..so that is probably not the way to go, I simply just unparented the genesis shape from itīs parent hip, then I can rotate that fbx base bone transformer or move it and it will be okay, same with the genesis bone.

if one do not like that genis bone that goes from the bottom and to the hip, one can change bone to z bone instead of joint and just reduce resth length I think.

magiclight
12-01-2015, 12:50 AM
I will try and see if it helps with scaling it, I think most of it was set to 1 except one of the null's set to 0.3, have to wait until afternoon.

It's DS 4.8, tried with FBX 2012 and 2014 versions but same result.

prometheus
12-01-2015, 01:18 AM
I will try and see if it helps with scaling it, I think most of it was set to 1 except one of the null's set to 0.3, have to wait until afternoon.

It's DS 4.8, tried with FBX 2012 and 2014 versions but same result.

wouldnīt be surprised it has something to do with the original rigging of the item in daz.

magiclight
12-01-2015, 03:07 AM
That is possible, it's an old one and comes from a CR2 poser asset file, but should be fixable I guess.

prometheus
12-01-2015, 05:40 AM
That is possible, it's an old one and comes from a CR2 poser asset file, but should be fixable I guess.

is it a special character you donīt feel like sharing that you bought or something...or could you share the model (may not be legal according to daz) or if it is out there free somewhere?
would like to test it, otherwise donīt.

does it have weight maps assigned properly with the bones?

magiclight
12-01-2015, 05:57 AM
The license don't allow any sharing of the character (even as exported FBX), only 2D results, I will see if I can find a free one with the same problem.

All weightmaps look correct, they are all set to "use only weight maps".

the 3rd bone from the top had a 0.3 scaling, changing that to 1 fixed the weird scaling but it still behaves like rubbish.

Example initial shape:

And after a little rotation:

prometheus
12-01-2015, 06:09 AM
The license don't allow any sharing of the character (even as exported FBX), only 2D results, I will see if I can find a free one with the same problem.

All weightmaps look correct, they are all set to "use only weight maps".

yeah..thought so.

found a rabbit wich I believe might be the one you have..noggit I think? and that was a payed license so.

started to check more daz content, I am not fond of the content management installer, would prefer downloading seperatl...not sure I can use daz on more than my desktop, would like to have it on a portable computer, preferably without connection to the web..might not be possible, or not valid to use that way?
still working with 4.0 here though.

RebelHill
12-01-2015, 06:15 AM
The fact that the mesh shrinks when you activate bones clearly shows that something in the bone hierarchy is scaled. Take any mesh... add a bone to it, scale the bone... the mesh scales.

magiclight
12-01-2015, 06:23 AM
Yes, I found one bone scaled by 0.3 so that fixed that problem, but it's still pretty much rubbish (see picture's above), guess there is something I still have not figured out that is messed up.

RebelHill
12-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Well... should be obvious why... the skeleton isnt lined up with the mesh. You need to line it all up, so the skeleton is properly inside the mesh, and re-rest it all.

See the first few mins of this video to get a view on how to correct these problems with imported fbxs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4nUt2-08Fs

prometheus
12-01-2015, 06:41 AM
genesis figures no problem.
Michael no problem
subdragon..a mess, select all bones and rest, fixed and working...I thought, weigthmaps arenīt assigned properly to the bones, and they look poor as well for the dragon.

magiclight
12-01-2015, 06:50 AM
Well... should be obvious why... the skeleton isnt lined up with the mesh. You need to line it all up

Yes I thought so too so I tried to adjust the mesh with the bones but got the same result, but I guess I did something wrong so I will give it another shot.

magiclight
12-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Ok, I moved everything so the rig is inside the mesh nice and tidy (I moved the mesh and I moved the joints around, I did not scale any bones), when I am finished I select all bones and press R and everything look ok.
All weightmaps are correct as far as I can see and the bones are set to only use weightmaps.

I try to rotate the tail joint starting here:

And when I rotate it I get this:

The ugly red dotted line is an arc that the tail tip is rotating around, the center of that arc is between the legs of the rabbit.

RebelHill
12-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Watch the video I posted.

magiclight
12-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Ok, many thanks for all the help :thumbsup: it takes some time and I can be a pain in the ** but after a while it sticks even in my head, it's working (almost) perfect now, have to fix the weight maps a little.