PDA

View Full Version : EPSF inport cutouts

RichH
03-06-2003, 03:48 PM
I have been importing vector shapes into Modeler from FreeHand and from Photoshop. Outlines come in very predictably, but shapes with internal divisions (punch-outs, holes, whatever-you-call-'em) seem to be really problematic. The .ai paths appear to enter correctly, and they extrude correctly, creating surfaces in the plane of extrusion. But they won't skin correctly in the plane of the original importation. I have tried a number of kludges, workarounds, what-have-you, but haven't found the answer.

I know this is shaky ground. The manual actually talks about the plug-in "trying" to resolve punchout shapes. I was just wondering if anyone has some insight into the problem that can help.

Thanks,

Richard Hurley

jpburns
03-06-2003, 06:39 PM
This procedure should be done before extruding any shapes.

What you need to do is pick the internal shapes (the "holes"), and move them to another layer. Then select the outside shapes in the FG layer, the holes in the BG layer, and use Multiply:Drill in the Z direction using tunnel. What results are the correct polygons with holes drilled in them, ready for extruding.

Does that make sense?
-- jpburns