PDA

View Full Version : Advice on re-install

Philipp
11-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Hi,

I had some weird issues with my Windows version of Lightwave 2015.3 lately, where the license suddenly wasn't being accepted anymore. After much searching the canon was to reinstall LW.
I did this but I tried installing LW OVER the previous installation. License was ok again (don't know what was broken?) but now the bevel tool is broken. At least that was one of the tool I needed and so it was the first issue. But the other tools I needed were working.
Now the question, must I do a true re-install or can I somehow fix it by ....? Yeah, by doing what? :)

Thanks!

Philipp

spherical
11-30-2015, 03:08 PM
Did you delete the previous config files in C:\User\[username]\.NewTek\[LightWave_version#] directory? If not, try that first before re-installing. Or, nuke it from orbit and reinstall after deleting, too. Once the re-inslall is complete, just place the LWK file in the /licenses subdirectory of the above tree and it should fire right up without asking for the drag-n-drop method; which has been problematical. ANother tip is to set the main executables to Run As Administrator in the File Properties > Compatibility tab for each of the three application files if it still presents issues.

Philipp
11-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Hi sperical,

no, I simply did a re-install over the old, without deleting the configs. I have so much configured that I'd hate to redo it all ;(

I think LW (and windows) doesn't like me using any vpn. I can't even start LW with my vpn on, which kind of sucks, as I really don't like to always surf open-house. MS doesn't like it, too. I had to do a re-activation of my windows a few times now. T'was no joy giving and receiving a bunch of numbers from an indian or pakistani guy, although he was very kind ;)
I can (maybe) understand MS, as it's their duty and love to spy on all users and give all informations directly to the nsa, but LW? It's another IP, ok, but it's the same hardware. Why is the license related to the IP?

Anyway, I had already tried your lwk and admin tipps before, with no success. I will then try to delete my configs first, if that still doesn't work, I'll have to do a full new install ;(

Thanks!

spherical
11-30-2015, 10:13 PM
no, I simply did a re-install over the old, without deleting the configs. I have so much configured that I'd hate to redo it all

Sometimes, that's the only option. Some save out Menu config files. I used to do that but, with the recent and future increasing major changes, the UI gets an update and bringing in old menus would be a Bad Thing. So, I just go through the steps each update to make sure that my set up is current with the version.

I think LW (and windows) doesn't like me using any vpn. I can't even start LW with my vpn on, which kind of sucks,

At the other end of the VPN is there a LightWave install? Is any portion of it running?

Philipp
12-01-2015, 04:18 AM
Sometimes, that's the only option. Some save out Menu config files. I used to do that but, with the recent and future increasing major changes, the UI gets an update and bringing in old menus would be a Bad Thing. So, I just go through the steps each update to make sure that my set up is current with the version.

Gnnnn, oh well, ok, I wish LW had a better and safer way to save all user preferences. Gladly my Hackintosh based Mac LW is working fine. If you ask me why I don't stay on the Mac all the time, it's because the 3d mouse doesn't work with LW and some useful uv-plugins aren't compatible anymore.

At the other end of the VPN is there a LightWave install? Is any portion of it running?
What other end of the vpn? You mean if I work remotely? No, nothing. If the vpn is active then LW will only work in the trial mode. And thus the other plugins like LWCad, DStorm and Octane won't work. And the 3d mouse crashes LW immediately. The license should be hardware based and not ip based imho, but I digress. :)

BeeVee
12-01-2015, 04:50 AM
LightWave security used to be solely hardware-based with a dongle. You can still get a dongle, contact NewTek... :)

B

Philipp
12-01-2015, 04:56 AM
LightWave security used to be solely hardware-based with a dongle. You can still get a dongle, contact NewTek... :)

B

I still have my old dongle lying around somewhere :) but where ...? Would this solve my issues?

BeeVee
12-01-2015, 06:19 AM
If you have a dongle then it should work with the license.lwk you have, so yes. :)

B

spherical
12-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Yes. Dongles are required for many commercial plugins, so having one will work and also fire the applications when the software license won't. You should find that the 4-quad numbers that used to be only in the .KEY file are also in the .LWK file. I put both file types in my /licenses directory so that the applications can find whatever they need. I also have all of the keys, in both 32-bit and 64-bit, for every version installed on my workstation in the pair of files and copy them to all of the license locations. Keeps everything on an even keel; instead of trying to keep the keys separated for each version.

Having an IP-based licensing system has its benefits. The license mechanism looks for another instance of the applications using the same license running on the network. If it finds none, it loads licensed. Saves having to cart a dongle around. Many people unintentionally leave their dongle at work or at home and can't work at all in the other location. I've seen quite a few who wonder why LW won't start in licensed mode and, when questioned, found that there was an install running on another machine on their network that they forgot about. That's why I asked about one running at the other end of the tunnel. That, then, begs the question: if you are using a VPN there are more than one machine on the other end? Is anyone else there running LW? There may be some confusion going on as to which license is which and the system thinks that yours is running there, so won't start in licensed mode. The dongle should clear the issue, but I'd still contact NewTek Support to sort out why it is apparently finding a license where one should not exist.

Philipp
12-02-2015, 06:45 AM
Yes. Dongles are required for many commercial plugins, so having one will work and also fire the applications when the software license won't. You should find that the 4-quad numbers that used to be only in the .KEY file are also in the .LWK file. I put both file types in my /licenses directory so that the applications can find whatever they need. I also have all of the keys, in both 32-bit and 64-bit, for every version installed on my workstation in the pair of files and copy them to all of the license locations. Keeps everything on an even keel; instead of trying to keep the keys separated for each version.

Having an IP-based licensing system has its benefits. The license mechanism looks for another instance of the applications using the same license running on the network. If it finds none, it loads licensed. Saves having to cart a dongle around. Many people unintentionally leave their dongle at work or at home and can't work at all in the other location. I've seen quite a few who wonder why LW won't start in licensed mode and, when questioned, found that there was an install running on another machine on their network that they forgot about. That's why I asked about one running at the other end of the tunnel. That, then, begs the question: if you are using a VPN there are more than one machine on the other end? Is anyone else there running LW? There may be some confusion going on as to which license is which and the system thinks that yours is running there, so won't start in licensed mode. The dongle should clear the issue, but I'd still contact NewTek Support to sort out why it is apparently finding a license where one should not exist.

Ah, now I understand your question. No, I only work from home and the other LW I use is on the same machine, when I boot up my hackintosh. So it's always one LW instance at the time. Unfortunately I still have to jump systems. Mostly it's the Mac, but some useful plugins aren#t yosemite compatible and quixel e.g. is windows only for now. It's tedious to have two system up and runnable all the time, bit that's how it is.
So best thing for me would be to search for my old dongle. It's a dongle from version 9, so quite old :)

BUT! I now must confess and whip myself in total disgrace ;( The only problem I actually had was the LW licensing weirdness which I actually did got fixed easily with a simple over-install.
What happened? I had a slight discrepancy between my Mac and my Windows shortcut settings. On the Mac b was set to bevel and on Windows I had changed it to bridge. That's why I always got an error message when trying to do a bevel but actually did a bridge :) Pretty dumb, hey :) I know, I already kicked my *** for that :)

So in the end I'll search my dongle and try to have my shortcuts synched :))

Sorry for the hassle and thank you for the background informations about LW's license scheme.

Cheers

Philipp

spherical
12-02-2015, 04:12 PM
No, I only work from home and the other LW I use is on the same machine, when I boot up my hackintosh.

Then what's the VPN for?

It's tedious to have two system up and runnable all the time, bit that's how it is.

I have two workstations running every day; both going to dual inputs on two monitors. A KVM switch helps a lot, but it only controls inputs to one monitor. The other has to be switched between inputs manually. What causes the tedium?

Philipp
12-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Then what's the VPN for?
Simple security. Germans are a little paranoid about all Microsofts/Googles/facebooks (which I don't use)/NSAs etc of the world wanting to every bit of who we are and what we do. And maybe it's even an european thing, talking with some other guys from around europe. But MS surely doesn't like that, or else they wouldn't bug me so often with activation issues, forcing me to re-activate with a number-orgie with a poor indian guy ;)

I have two workstations running every day; both going to dual inputs on two monitors. A KVM switch helps a lot, but it only controls inputs to one monitor. The other has to be switched between inputs manually. What causes the tedium?
The one is a Mac and the other is a windows system. The plugins are not always compatible and if I need to switch I must keep both systems up-to-date. So, every Plugin, every shortcut (especially shortcuts ;) ) etc, should be equal on both systems. And as I don't constantly switch I must do a bulk update. I now have installed Photoshop on windows to be able to install the great quixel suite 2.0. I just bought the Nik-tools and have them installed on my mac. I mustn't forget to do the same on windows in case I have to work under windows for a longer period.
Nothing terrible, but time consuming and error prone, that's all.

spherical
12-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Well, we have 15+ installs of LightWave versions to keep up-to-date and in synch on three different workstations. Some of the LW versions require different plugin versions; as the SDK changed. Yes, it is tedious, but I set aside time to do them all at once when a plugin gets updated.

On the VPN, as I understand them, they are for going securely out across the Internet to a remote location. That's the "Virtual" part. Sounds to me like you are consolidated at home on an internal network. We run a software firewall in addition to the hardware firewall at the interface between our internal network and the Internet. We have it set to ask when something wants to call out and either temporarily or permanently deny that activity if going to a suspicious or known bad IP#. If it is known and trusted, we set a rule to allow. The zones/rules table gets to be pretty extensive but handles the job nicely. More tedium, though. Goes with the territory and age we live in, I guess.

Philipp
12-03-2015, 05:24 PM
15+ installs? Oh wow, that sounds like a lot of work. But like I said, I do it do (with my mere two installs ;)), but this time two things came together, the license annoyance and my dumb error, that I forgot to have 'b' changed on both systems to bridge and so thought I had broken up LW after the over install. Should remind me to take a note of what I change on one system to synch it back to the other. ;)

The problem with my vpn is that my internet provider has a fixed ip for me and logs everything and with my vpn service I have constantly changing ips which seems to irritate LW's way the license check works. I think! Because I don't fire up LW when I'm on vpn as then it's in trial mode. But maybe some firewall rules got messed up, or it's because of windows.
Funny thing is, that on my Mac I don't have problems with the same vpn. Neither with LW nor with Yosemite, the Mac OS. And I even have a very tight Firewall running, Little Snitch if you know it. And like you do, too I create rules and am very restrictive whom I allow which activity. At the beginning this was a constant pop-up flood. I wish I could leave my vpn always active though ....

spherical
12-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Ok, down to basics! WHY are you running a VPN? After that question gets answered, we might get somewhere.

Philipp
12-05-2015, 04:46 AM
Ok, down to basics! WHY are you running a VPN? After that question gets answered, we might get somewhere.

?? I already told you why. No use in repeating myself.
And as the license problem I had has been fixed and the other problem was my fault I think we should call it a day. I'll check for my old dongle and the vpn(witjh changing IP's)+LW issues should be gone, hopefully.

Cheers

spherical
12-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Trying to figure out just how to respond to this. Having a bad day? You may have "told me", but what I am saying, if you are actually using the correct terms, is that you don't need a VPN if you aren't going outside your internal network. There are other means of controlling access. Day called.

Philipp
12-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Trying to figure out just how to respond to this. Having a bad day? You may have "told me", but what I am saying, if you are actually using the correct terms, is that you don't need a VPN if you aren't going outside your internal network. There are other means of controlling access. Day called.

Seems I have somehow upset you, sorry for that. I have a tendonitis atm, so I like to keep it short. Main purpose of my use is privacy. No problem on a mac, windows doesn't like changing wordwide ip's. But this is all getting very much OT, so I'd like to close this thread for tis purpose solely. It's way beyond 3D and Lightwave.
Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for upsetting you, wasn't my intention.

Cheers
Philipp