PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Question/advice.

cove
11-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Anyone have/use this graphics card?

Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X

Im seriousy considering buying this card and thought id see if there were any issues that i should be aware of.
Initialy i would be buying this card to enhance the new Poser Pro 11
Software ive bought as the info say,s that the software is Nvidia cuda card enabled and that if you have a cuda card then certain new aspects of the software will run better/faster. eg preview and also final
rendering.
Im also thinking of the new LW 2016 and at some time LW2016 will allso be graphics card enabled [there stated intention] and im also asuming that
the Nvidia cuda cards will be there recommended preference.

To any tech guys. Is it possible to help me better understasnd the following.
I have at present an AMD FirePro W5000. a decent midrange card.
Im told by my system suppliers/tech that my present card has a polygon
procesing rate per second of 1.3 terreflops per second and that the GeForce GTX Titan X will process 7.00 terreflops per second.
If i understand correctly the higher the tereflops rate the more objects you can have in a Layout scene and still be able to move/rotate the whole scene with ease.
In simple terms it seems ill be able to have about 5 times as many objects in the scene with the Titan x card.
If so great but in practice may only be about 3 times more.
If any one can advice on what i can expect in reality then any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Lewis
11-28-2015, 04:47 PM
I've not seen any indication that LW 2016 will use GPU(s) more than current LW 10,11,2015.. and that's for OpenGL/VBO but difference between cheap Nvidia 960, Titan X or Quadro 6000 in LW are unnoticeable so unless you plan to use it for GPU rendering (which LW 2016 also won't be) or TFD calculations you are wasting your money :(.

spherical
11-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Your FirePro card is essentially equivalent to a Quadro in that it is intended for CAD applications. It will handle more lines/points at a faster screen draw rate than a consumer (gaming) card; which the Titan and GTX Series are. However, the CAD card won't do renders faster (for renderers that use the GPU). For that you get the consumer card that has the most cores and memory. You can have both in the machine; using the CAD card to drive Modeler/layout, freeing the gaming card to render and not use resources driving the screens.

zapper1998
11-28-2015, 05:57 PM
I have 2 in my workstation awesome cards they are..

and for GPU stuff it really works good they do. TFD and Octane work well and fast.

m.d.
11-28-2015, 07:13 PM
As far as CUDA performance....especially octane...TitanX is very near the top....but check the benchmarks first.
A 980ti is within 2% the performance of the TitanX for about 66-75% the price....you could get 3 980ti for the price of 2 TitanX...

https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php?sort_by=avg&filter=&singleGPU=1

Although with TitanX you have that extra memory, octane and other CUDA apps now how out of core memory enabled (using system ram)

Depending on how far out in the future you are thinking of buying....just be aware AMD has finally caved and will have CUDA capabilities in the future on their FireGL cards

cove
11-29-2015, 03:52 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Glad i asked for comments as more to consider than i thought.
Will mention your comments to system supplier/tech and take it from there.
Im also waiting on a relpy from Poser tech support as to whether
the Titan x card is suitable to run there new software, without issues, and will also resolve an issue i have with there new sofware in relation to my present AMD card.
Both aspects/questions have been passed to there development team.
Hopfully they will have a resolution to the software problem and will say the Titan x card is ok. [They may recommend a different cuda card].
Just have wait and see.

cove
11-29-2015, 05:07 AM
As far as CUDA performance....especially octane...TitanX is very near the top....but check the benchmarks first.
A 980ti is within 2% the performance of the TitanX for about 66-75% the price....you could get 3 980ti for the price of 2 TitanX...

https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php?sort_by=avg&filter=&singleGPU=1

Although with TitanX you have that extra memory, octane and other CUDA apps now how out of core memory enabled (using system ram)

Depending on how far out in the future you are thinking of buying....just be aware AMD has finally caved and will have CUDA capabilities in the future on their FireGL cards

Appreciate your contribution and also your telling me that AMD will have cuda capability in the future. Had no idea that this was the case till seeing your reply.
Thought cuda was exclusive to Nvidia. Will investigate further as my preference for the Titan x card could change.
I had in mind to buy the card as soon as Poser/tec can confirm that all will be ok with the Titan x card.
But given this new info about AMD i could decide to hang on a bit longer especially if they intend to release a version that maybe even more capable than the
Titan x. If i discover that developments are going well and new AMD cards will become available no later than about 4 months time then i will hang on a bit.
Any longer than that then i will go for the Titan x card.

m.d.
11-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Appreciate your contribution and also your telling me that AMD will have cuda capability in the future. Had no idea that this was the case till seeing your reply.
Thought cuda was exclusive to Nvidia. Will investigate further as my preference for the Titan x card could change.
I had in mind to buy the card as soon as Poser/tec can confirm that all will be ok with the Titan x card.
But given this new info about AMD i could decide to hang on a bit longer especially if they intend to release a version that maybe even more capable than the
Titan x. If i discover that developments are going well and new AMD cards will become available no later than about 4 months time then i will hang on a bit.
Any longer than that then i will go for the Titan x card.

To be clear this is very preliminary, and not full CUDA compatibility. It is a porting tool that automatically ports CUDA binaries, but the developers still have to perform this step, and some manual coding.....it's not plug and play run CUDA on AMD

So the timeline before this is widely implemented may be a while.....

cove
11-29-2015, 08:54 AM
I have 2 in my workstation awesome cards they are..

and for GPU stuff it really works good they do. TFD and Octane work well and fast.

Thanks for the assurance that changing to a Titan x will be worth it.
Just one question. If i buy the card will i have to have my motorcycle helmet on as it looks as if i
could be in for a hell of a ride each time i fire up my system. :)

zapper1998
11-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the assurance that changing to a Titan x will be worth it.
Just one question. If i buy the card will i have to have my motorcycle helmet on as it looks as if i
could be in for a hell of a ride each time i fire up my system. :)

Just make sure your power supply is a BIG one, Titans need a lot of power. I went to a 1200watt PSU. Glad I did.

Lewis
11-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Just make sure your power supply is a BIG one, Titans need a lot of power. I went to a 1200watt PSU. Glad I did.

Not really that much, TitanX TDP is 250W same as for 980Ti or 780Ti. BUT if he is not gonna render with it he won't need that much power anyway.

I have 4 GPUs (all overclocked by 200+ MHZ) and while rendering in Octane with Both CPus at 5-10% occupy, NAS, Router, 10 HDDs, 3 Monitors and few minor things my power consumption is 1170W, When i fire up Both Xeons to render in same time (CPUs + GPUs) i get close to 1500W overall consumption at my UPS.

m.d.
11-29-2015, 02:01 PM
The 9 series are exceptionally power frugal.
In comparison my old setup with 2x470 and 1x 590 was well over 1300watts with just the comp and no monitors ect. It would constantly trip my UPS to the point where I couldn't run full render plugged into it (rated at 1500 watts)

The 9 series are almost twice as good power per watt as the 5/6 series....hence mobile versions of nvidia GPU will function at 65-70% performance of their desktop counterparts vs 45-50% performance of previous generations.....the mobile GPUs had to be severely detained for heat and power consumption.

The 7 series was somewhat better, but the 9 series is a huge leap in power efficiency.

That being said, I would always stuff at least a 1200 watt PS....you may want to run 3 Titans at some point

cove
11-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks all for further comments regarding power supply.
Did not expect that there could be a power supply issue as the system
supplier/tech assure me that my system [power unit] is more than adequate to run with Titan x card installed.
Just cannot remember the exact wattage installed but here is the system i have-------------

Magnetar S16-AW750 Workstation.
Processor. Intel i7 3.40GHz [6core/12 thread].
[Tuned to run at 4.4GHz] Water cooled system.
RAM. 32GB SDRAM.
4 Hardrives [2 are SSD ]
GRAPHICS CARD. AMD FirePro W5000.
O/S Microsoft Windows 10 Professional [64BIT].
Dell 24" hi res monitor.

I was advised oriiginaly that in order to run this new system that i would need to have a much better power unit than was in my previous system.
Never the less i will asked them again about the power unit but this time i will email them the question so they have more time, if needed, to give a more considered reply.

cove
11-29-2015, 04:21 PM
To be clear this is very preliminary, and not full CUDA compatibility. It is a porting tool that automatically ports CUDA binaries, but the developers still have to perform this step, and some manual coding.....it's not plug and play run CUDA on AMD

So the timeline before this is widely implemented may be a while.....

Thanks for clarifying the AMD/CUDA relationship. Looks as if AMD cuda cards are to far into the future for me to consider further.
Only need now the go ahead from the Poser tech support that the Titan x will run there software without issues.
Hopefully ill get a reply early this coming week.

The Dommo
11-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Sorry, but I still stand by my years of experience that a Quadro card gives far better viewport performance in Lightwave than a Geforce does. Yes, it's thanks to the drivers technically speaking. But it's true.

m.d.
11-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Sorry, but I still stand by my years of experience that a Quadro card gives far better viewport performance in Lightwave than a Geforce does. Yes, it's thanks to the drivers technically speaking. But it's true.

I wouldn't disagree that quadros are better in OpenGL....
The question is, is it worth 2-4x the cost for slightly better performance. I have owned a few quadros in my time as well....but lately couldn't justify the cost especially in terms of CUDA performance vs GTX....with CUDA being more and more important to my workflows.

madno
11-30-2015, 01:13 AM
There was thread about GL speed with test scenes:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?146045-Massive-openGL-Speedup-help

In demanding scenes it seems that the Quadros' drivers work much better regarding GL viewport than the Geforce ones (but like others said this is not related to Cuda performance).