PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Kinect One for NevronMotion in LightWave 2015

Greenlaw
11-26-2015, 06:15 PM
A lot of NevronMotion 1.1 users seem to be having trouble getting up and running with KinectOne motion capture so here's a walkthrough that may help get you started.

Introduction

First, a little info about the Kinect and its history.

Kinect One is the latest version of the Kinect sensor from Microsoft. A Kinect sensor is a game controller that uses infrared rays to generate a 3D depth map of what's in front of it, in addition to recording traditional rgb video and audio. Some software can use the depth data to create point clouds which can be used to create 3D objects or to track motion in 3D space. Most notably, it can be used to capture motion from a human performer.

There are basically three models of Kinect:

Kinect for XBox (aka Kinect v1) was the original device created for the XBox. If you have an adapter cable, you can use this with a PC running Windows 7.

Kinect for Windows (also called Kinect v1) was the version specifically made for Windows based computers. It was similar to the XBox version but it had better video controls and offered a special mode called Near Mode, which was meant for face capture and small object scanning.

The original Kinect for XBox and Kinect for Windows were discontinued after the release of the Kinect One for XBox One. You might still be able to find these devices but they're becoming rare in the marketplace.

Kinect One and Kinect for Windows 2 (aka Kinect v2) are essentially the same device. Kinect One was developed for the XBox One game console, and it was shortly followed by Kinect for Windows 2 which came with an adapter to allow PC users to use the device. Since the devices were otherwise identical, MS decided to drop Kinect for Windows 2 to eliminate some of the market confusion.

If you get a Kinect One to use with NevronMotion, you will need to purchase a $50 Windows USB interface kit separately. You can buy this kit directly from Microsoft or from online retailers like Amazon or NewEgg. Kinect One (or v2) requires Windows 8.1 or higher--if you're still on Windows 7, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free until next summer (2016). Kinect One also requires a dedicated USB 3.0 port and a graphics card that supports DirectX 11 or higher.

The Kinect One (v2) differs from the original Kinect (v1) in that it supports higher resolution and a wider FOV. This means it generates cleaner tracking data and you can use it in a smaller room. The range of the IR sensor is about the same but since the lens covers a wider area, you actually get a larger capture space to perform in. Because the depth data is cleaner, the capture is more accurate and less jittery.

However, like the original Kinect, a single KinectOne sensor is still subject by occlusion issues so some complex motions cannot be accurately tracked (like full body turnarounds.) Occlusion issues can be eliminated by synchronizing multiple Kinect sensors and placing them around the performer. The official Kinect SDK does not support capturing from multiple devices but it is possible with third party software like iPi Mocap Studio (http://ipisoft.com/). Mocap Studio allows you to capture from up to three Kinect (v1) sensors or up to four Kinect One (v2) sensors, and additionally records data from multiple PS Move or Wii Motion Plus controllers for head and hands tracking. (We use three Kinect v1 sensors and three PS Move controllers for our animated short films and vfx work for feature films. We recently started using two v2 sensors with three PS Move controllers for our animated shorts. For more information about how we do this, see my Brudders Production Log (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133274-The-Brudders-2-Production-Log-%28Well-sort-of-%29).)

In this article we'll cover the basics for setting up and using the Kinect One (v2) with NevronMotion 1.1 in LightWave 2015.3.

Greenlaw
11-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Setting Up The Kinect One and NevronMotion

As mentioned above, you will need to be running Windows 8.1 or higher to use a Kinect One sensor. (If you must stay with Windows 7, you will need to get the original Kinect v1 sensor. There is more information about setting up a v1 sensor in the NevronMotion manual.) For Kinect One compatibilty, you will also need an open USB 3.0 port (KinectOne is not compatible with USB 2.0) and a video card that supports DirectX 11 or higher. Note that if you have a really old motherboard, even if it is USB 3.0 compatible, it might not support the required throughput for Kinect One capture. For example, my five-year-old workstation can just barely support the Kinect One at 30fps but my brand new Windows tablet computer can capture Kinect One data effortlessly. We have several older computers that will recognize a v2 sensor but none of them will work adequately with it.

In case your'e still wondering, no, you do not need an XBox or XBox One game console to use a Kinect sensor (v1 or v2) with a Windows computer.

To run Kinect One on a Windows computer, you will need to install the Kinect 2 SDK. you can download it from here:

Kinect For Windows SDK 2.0 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44561)

After you've installed the required software and have connected your Kinect v2 sensor, you can check compatibility by running the Kinect Configuration Verifier Tool. This tool is meant for verifiying Kinect v2 compatibility and it is not used for Kinect v1. You can download the tool from here:

Kinect Configuration Verifier Tool (https://dev.windows.com/en-us/kinect/hardware-setup)

Install the verification tool and run it. If everything checks out, you should see a panel that looks like this:

Ideally, every section in this panel should have a green check mark next to it.

Note that in my case, the verifier could not identify the USB 3.0 port in my tablet computer but it still recognized it for compatibility. If you open the bottom tab labeled Verify Kinect Depth and Color Streams, you should see the live Depth and RGB video streams from the sensor and its current frame rate. The sensor must maintain a steady rate of 30 fps, otherwise you will not be able to capture motion accurately.

If you've gotten this far, congratulations--you're halfway there!

Greenlaw
11-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Installing NevronMotion 1.1 for LightWave 2015.3

NevronMotion is a retargeting tool for LightWave 11.6 and later versions. It is available as a separate add-on product for 11.6 and as of November 2015, NevronMotion comes free with LightWave 2015. On the Windows platform, you can also use NevronMotion to capture motion from a Kinect sensor. The latest NevronMotion version 1.1 adds support for Kinect One for XBox One. If you are a registered user of LightWave 2015, you can download NevronMotion and a license key from your user account.

NevronMotion can be installed a few different ways. Please read completely through this section before installing the software.

Note that if you have previously installed NevronMotion, you will need to uninstall it before installing version 1.1. Failing to do so may result in unpredictable behavior.

The first installation method suggested in the documentation is to simply drag the NevronMotion folder to the Plugins folder in your user directory. This directory is located here:

C:\Users\[your account]\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.3\plugins

The advantage with this installation method is that the plugins will be automatically loaded to LightWave without altering your LightWave installation. However, this method of installation did not work on my tablet computer as Virtual Studio in Layout was not able to fully access the Kinect One device. I don't know why this method did not work for me. My guess is that Windows 10 may be denying LightWave permission to read the data from this directory properly--but I really don't know this for a fact. Note that this installation method apparently works for some users. If it doesn't work for you, try the next method. (Or just go straight to the next method if you don't want to risk it.)

The method that did work for me was to install NevronMotion as a regular LightWave plugin. You can, of course install a LightWave plugin from any directory. In my case, I have a folder called Plugins where I keep all my third party plugins:

C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\plugins

I dragged my NevronMotion folder to this directory and added the plugins as normal. You can add the NevronMotion plugins by using the Edit Plugins - Scan Directory command and pointing it to the NevronMotion folder. After doing this, quit Layout to make sure LightWave writes the addition to your plugins config file.

Note: LightWave 2015.3 has an annoying feature where it will sometimes create a new menu tab called Additional with the the most recently added plugins listed, and it will probably create this tab on your system after you add NevronMotion. If this happens, you may wish to open the Menu Edit window and move the two NevronMotion menu items to a more appropriate menu section. (I have a tab called User for my third party and custom tools.)

After installing NevronMotion, you will want to copy the Nevron_Genoma_Rig.lwo and Nevron_Genoma_Rig.txt to this location:

C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\support\genoma\rigs\ Complex_Rigs\Bipeds

This makes the KinectOne rig immediately available to Genoma's presets in Modeler.

Now copy the three Kinect_Skeleton rig files to your LightWave content directory. The files are called:

Kinect_Skeleton_SKL0.lws
Kinect_Skeleton_SKL1.lws
KinectOne_Skeleton_SKL0.lws

These are LightWave scene files that already have the Nevron_Genoma rigs loaded and configured for Kinect capture. The first two are for Kinect v1 capture and the third file is for Kinect One (v2).

On our home studio network, we have a shared directory called Projects where we maintain all our Lightwave project (content) directories. In Projects, we have a folder called NevronMotion specifically for these scene files. Because these are template files, you may want to lock the files so you don't accidentally overwrite them.

Lest we forget, let's do one more thing before moving forward: Launch Layout and drag your NevronMotion License Key into the window. Layout should alert you that the license key has been added to the registry. If you didn't do this previously, NevronMotion is now officially activated on your computer.

Now quit Layout.

Greenlaw
11-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Accessing The Kinect One In LightWave

You may want to quit LightWave and restart your computer at this point to make sure the necessary drivers are loaded properly.

Now launch Layout.

In the upper section of the toolbar, you will notice these two items: Virtual Studio and Studio Live. These are the tools you will use connect Layout and NevronMotion to the KinectOne.

Under Virtual Studio, select Device Manager. It should look like this:

Open the toggle button next to Kinect XBOX ONE and double-click on the nested item. Rename this item KinectOne_A. The exact spelling and format is very important for proper operation because it allows NevronMotion to correctly identify the device and associate the incoming data with the Nevron Genoma skeleton. It also allows you to easily share your capture data with other NervonMotion users following the same naming convention.

Now, make sure HID, Kinect XBox One, and KinectOne_A are enabled. Click in the corresponding boxes under Enable. A check mark should appear next to each item as in the above image.

If you click on KinectOne_A from the list, you will see the motion data streaming in from the sensor. Note that the incoming data is shown only as numeric values, not a streaming video feed like with Kinect v1. The current release of NevronMotion (1.1) does not allow you to access the Kinect One's control and options panel like it does for the Kinect v1. However, the documentation suggests that this feature may be coming for KinectOne in a future release of NevronMotion.

You may now close the Device Manager.

Greenlaw
11-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Dance Monkey Dance!

Load the file called KinectOne_Skeleton_SKL0.lws. You should see a skeleton standing in the center of the world.

Now, under Virtual Studio, select Studio. A window will popup that lists all the connections between the joints of the internal Kinect skeleton and the LightWave skeleton in Layout. Your screen should look something like this:

If you're curious about how this works, double-click on any of the items and you will see the nodal connection for that item.

Hang on, we're almost there.

Before we can make the skeleton move, we need to activate these connections. Each item should have a check mark in the column labeled A. If the check marks are missing, shift select all the items in the list and click in the column. There should now be a check mark on every item. To activate the rig, click on the Active and Live buttons at the bottom. If you are going to record and play the capture motion, you will also want to enable Allow Record and Allow Play.

The rig may suddenly collapse but don't worry, that's normal. What's happened is that the Kinect is trying to find and track a human form and when it can't find one, it drops the rig into a pile.

So now what? Well, let's give it a human body to track. The Kinect One sensor needs to be facing the center of the room, and the space should be relatively clear of objects like chairs and coffee tables. Stand in the center of the room so the sensor can see you and assume a T-Pose. If the above instructions have been followed correctly, the skeleton in Layout should instantly snap into position and mimic your motions.

This is a screen cap of my daughter waving. As a nine-years old, she's only four feet tall but the software tracked her without manual adjustment. We took turns stepping in front of the sensor, and the Kinect One immediately adjusted for our height differences. Pretty neat.

The next steps are to record a motion and to retarget the motion to a character. The procedures for doing so are well explained in the NevonMotion user manual so please look there for further information.

So there you have it. I hope this tutorial helps gets some users started. Now get moving! :)

G.

vipvip242
11-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Thank you for your help and all the work it represents ! I'll study this today !

Simon-S
11-27-2015, 06:30 AM
This looks great, thanks Greenlaw :D

Going to try this out this evening.

Do you know if there support for facial capture with Kinect v2?

Cheers

jasonwestmas
11-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Thanks Greenlaw I didn't notice there was a KinectOne Skeleton or that there was no video feedback. Thanks for pointing those out. The original video tutorial is obviously useless for this kind of setup so I was easily confused.

I hope they get that video feature working. It's kinda hard to visualize my own occlusion when I'm doing the motions. Merging two kinect scans for the same skeleton would make this a whole lot more useful too I think. Plus attaching geometry to the skeleton would help a ton in understanding which poses I can get away with without making the joints skip around.

Simon-S
11-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks Greenlaw I didn't notice there was a KinectOne Skeleton or that there was no video feedback. Thanks for pointing those out. The original video tutorial is obviously useless for this kind of setup so I was easily confused.

I hope they get that video feature working. It's kinda hard to visualize my own occlusion when I'm doing the motions. Merging two kinect scans for the same skeleton would make this a whole lot more useful too I think. Plus attaching geometry to the skeleton would help a ton in understanding which poses I can get away with without making the joints skip around.

You can use Kinect Studio which is part of the Kinect v2 SDK to give you the visual feedback.

jasonwestmas
11-27-2015, 11:16 AM
You can use Kinect Studio which is part of the Kinect v2 SDK to give you the visual feedback.

Cool, that does help quite a bit thanks. It's nice to see an actual representation of the body in space so I can tell how accurate the capture is.

Zerowaitstate
11-27-2015, 03:31 PM
This is really helpful and much easier to follow than the native LW instructions.

I still get a "The program can't start because Kinect10.dll is missing from you computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem" after launching both layout and modeler. which is very odd.

I can see the the sensor in Studio>device manager
i have renamed the nested item as described
both show as ready when ticked
the only data stream that seems to be active below is body underscore time

i should say i have a uber cam installed and that also placed a VR headset device in the virtual studio environment, turn this on or of seems to have no effect on the kinect sensor.

checking the sensor with the other MS SDK sample proves the sensor is working ok,

i am thinking i have to resolve the dll issue and the rest will fall into place.

I will post if i get a resolution, any advice or pointers from other appreciated.

Zerowaitstate
11-27-2015, 07:22 PM
This is really helpful and much easier to follow than the native LW instructions.

I still get a "The program can't start because Kinect10.dll is missing from you computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem" after launching both layout and modeler. which is very odd.

I can see the the sensor in Studio>device manager
i have renamed the nested item as described
both show as ready when ticked
the only data stream that seems to be active below is body underscore time

i should say i have a uber cam installed and that also placed a VR headset device in the virtual studio environment, turn this on or of seems to have no effect on the kinect sensor.

checking the sensor with the other MS SDK sample proves the sensor is working ok,

i am thinking i have to resolve the dll issue and the rest will fall into place.

I will post if i get a resolution, any advice or pointers from other appreciated.

Issue resolved

So the Kinect10.dll error is resolved by installing "NevronMotion 1.0 Kinect for Windows Driver 1.7 Setup" Silly me for assuming the already installed SDK2.0 would cover this.

Sucess ! ! !

Things that caught me up ....

- did not install driver from the LW site /Face Palm
- did not initially have HID ticked in Virtual studio > Device manager
- did not have KinectOne_Skeleton_SKL0.lws loaded ( i had earlier version which no doubt works with V1 sensor)

this is so much fun i am planning to project on to the side of my house and have a two story Santa waving at cars and kids real time as they drive bye, should be a blast.

Thanks for the the above instructions way more straight forward than the read me

Greenlaw
11-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Sounds like fun!

I'm glad these instructions were helpful.

Regarding 'face mode', I'm going to guess it's not available yet. It will probably show up when the KinectOne options and controls are added in a future update. Hopefully, somebody from LW3G (Lino?) can post a more concrete answer here.

G

Greenlaw
11-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Oh, one more thing:

When you're not using Virtual Studio, it's a good idea to click off Studio Live. Leaving Studio Live active when you don't need it can seriously affect the performance of LightWave. For example, try using VPR with Studio Live active and then try it with Studio Live deactivated. There should be noticeable difference in interactivity.

Just an FYI.

G.

cyclopse
12-03-2015, 09:35 AM
I can't seem to get the darned thing out of pretzel mode. Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzsgwc2j3sxcjww/NevronFail2.mp4?dl=0

I have 1.8 and 2.0 installed... passed the verification... put the plugins in the user directory AND tried adding them using the scan directory. Numbers are scrolling by. Named properly. HID checked (and KinectOne x 2). All active in the studio. Nada.

It ain't my machine either. Here's my specs:
>MSI X99 chipset motherboard
>Intel I7-5960X (8-core)
>32GB RAM
>NVIDIA Titan X card
>Windows 10-64 Pro
>(So I have plenty of power to run it)
>Kinect SDK 2.0, & 1.8 installed

I should be ripping through this, but I just CAN'T get the friggin' thing to work! HELP PLEASE! What am I doing wrong?

jasonwestmas
12-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Turn off the "Allow Play" button in the studio panel.

Tranimatronic
12-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Great run through Greenlaw. Thanks very much.
I have kinect v1 and nevron v1. I know you had this setup also. I was wondering what is the difference? New kinect + adapter here in Canada is over $200. I had some success with the original v1's for facial capture.
Is the new kinect and new nevron 1.1 a great leap forward? Does the new nevron work with the old kinect? If i'm keeping my old kinect is there any point in upgrading?. I dont see a changelog for nevron anywhere.....

Thanks for any info!

cyclopse
12-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Turn off the "Allow Play" button in the studio panel.

Me = Face + Palm

Thank you. I'm an idiot.

cyclopse
12-03-2015, 06:07 PM
So, without the "options" panel, how do we smooth out the capture? Because with just the raw data... it's quite jittery... ALMOST THERE!

Zerowaitstate
12-07-2015, 05:04 PM
i believe you had the same thing as me , go to the lightwave site and Download the kinect driver from the site i believe it shows as 1.7 . i see in you list of drivers the 1.7 is not listed

i had tried all windows based drivers all showed up as correct and data streamed in light wave but no action until using the driver from the lightwave site.

This is counter intuitive as you would expect latest drivers for latest device and latest version of software ..... but made is start working for me.

I also got stuck by loading the wrong skeleton (loaded older version)

see above post for exact names

/ignore looks like you got it sorted

Greenlaw
12-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Great run through Greenlaw. Thanks very much.
I have kinect v1 and nevron v1. I know you had this setup also. I was wondering what is the difference?

I haven't done a comparison yet but, yes, I still have my Kinect v1 sensors. I'll do a test with each with NevronMotion later this week and get back to you on that.

My guess is that it will be less jittery because of the cleaner depth data but I don't know for sure yet. Kinect One is less jittery for Mocap Studio so it should be for NevronMotion, however, it's hard to say because the UI for Kinect One (v2) isn't enabled in NevronMotion 1.1 yet (not a bug, it's mentioned in the Read Me file). This means we don't yet have access to smoothing control and face capture switch like with did with v1.

But an earlier post by Simon-S stated that you should be able to change the Kinect One options in the Kinect Studio software which comes with the SDK, and I'm guessing these settings will carry over to NevronMotion? I don't know, haven't tried that yet. Maybe somebody here can fill us in?

G.

Airwaves
12-16-2015, 10:58 AM
I just want to say thank you for your post and how informative it is. Thank you.

rg_BZH
12-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Hi,

I am new on the forum. I apologize for my english.
Great thanks to Greenlaw. His post helps me a lot to make the Kinect One working on a laptop.
Thank you also for the post from Zerowaitstate.
After following Greenlaw procedure, my two problems were : msvcp120.dll & kinect10.dll missing.
The first pb was fixed by installing vcredist_x86 and x64 loaded from Microsoft.
The secund pb was fixed by installing windows driver 1.7 setup loaded from ligthwave site over the SDK 2.0

The documentation from Newtek is too light for beginners like me. A step by step procedure as explained by Greenlaw would be more helpful.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot

Airwaves
12-31-2015, 02:53 PM
Accessing The Kinect One In LightWave

Note that the incoming data is shown only as numeric values, not a streaming video feed like with Kinect v1. The current release of NevronMotion (1.1) does not allow you to access the Kinect One's control and options panel like it does for the Kinect v1. However, the documentation suggests that this feature may be coming for KinectOne in a future release of NevronMotion.

You may now close the Device Manager.

To make sure I understand this clearly I will not be able to see the options that are listed in this youtube video from newtek? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNIvEhf-jpY

I have the Xbox One Kinect. I was not able to see the options shown in the youtube video and thought I was doing something wrong.

jasonwestmas
12-31-2015, 07:20 PM
To make sure I understand this clearly I will not be able to see the options that are listed in this youtube video from newtek? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNIvEhf-jpY

I have the Xbox One Kinect. I was not able to see the options shown in the youtube video and thought I was doing something wrong.

No that video is not going to give you any useful info for xbox one kinect. Read this thread instead.

Greenlaw
01-06-2016, 12:02 PM

That's right. It actually mentions this in the documentation. When I asked about it, I was told that they were looking into it but I've heard nothing more definitive yet. Just wait and see I guess.

TBH, I'm not sure what the options for Kinect One would be. I imagine variable smoothing controls and face tracking like with the old Kinect but I don't know if these features are needed for Kinect One--for all I know, Kinect One may just adapt in use.

Sorry, that's a completely uninformed guess. My 'home brew' mocap experience is mainly with iPi Mocap Studio which doesn't use the the MS SDK so I really don't know.

But if anybody here does know, please post the info because I want to learn too. :)

G.

Airwaves
01-07-2016, 10:57 AM
So you use ps3 move controllers, and that makes me question if you can use them with lightwave or if you have to use the mocap software you mentioned.

Also I have another question and I am sorry if this is basic knowledge but I just do not know - with just one kinect is the ps3 move controllers pointless or would it help? Thanks

Greenlaw
01-07-2016, 11:42 PM
All I know is how it works in Mocap Studio:

Basically, PS Move controllers only record rotation so you need to calibrate them at the beginning of your recording session. I use three controllers: one for each hand and one for the head. To calibrate, I just point each controller at and look directly into a Kinect sensor. This aligns the heading for all of the Move devices to the extremity it's 'attached' to. Once the heading is known, it can figure out the other two axis and record the motion.

After you've tracked the main body mocap, the rotational data from each Move controller is applied to the skeleton's wrists and head. It works surprisingly well but you need to maintain a firm grip for accuracy.

A while back, I modified a pair of glove so I can attach the controllers to the back of the hand but I haven't actually tried the gloves in a recording session yet.

BTW, no PS Game console is needed--just a USB Bluetooth adapter and a PC. With Kinect for Windows (v1), I was able to connect two Kinect sensors and three Move controllers to a single PC. With Kinect One (v2), I have to use two linked computers--one for each Kinect sensor. The three Move devices are connected to one of computer along with the Kinect. (The Move data apparently requires very little bandwidth.)

Since I upgraded my gear to Windows 10, I found that the native Bluetooth drivers no longer worked for PS Move. I had to switch to the third-party MotionInJoy drivers which seem to work fine.

LightWave can also record the PS Move controller but it requires the PS4 game console to do it. One advantage with using a game console is that it can also record positional data. I think it uses two PS Eye cameras for this? I'm not sure actually. I've never set this up in my studio because I don't own a PS4 game console.

G.

eKalb
01-10-2016, 10:41 AM
The KinectOne_Skeleton_SKL0.lws is nowhere to be found in the Nevronmotion Content. I have the other two skeleton scenes for the v1 Kinect, but not the KinectOne. I downloaded it again from my LW account to make sure, but it's not there. Does anyone know where I can get it? Or can send it to me?

Ma3rk
01-11-2016, 10:11 AM
The KinectOne_Skeleton_SKL0.lws is nowhere to be found in the Nevronmotion Content. I have the other two skeleton scenes for the v1 Kinect, but not the KinectOne. I downloaded it again from my LW account to make sure, but it's not there. Does anyone know where I can get it? Or can send it to me?

I found it in two spots actually; in \NevronMotion_Content\Nevron_Sketetons\Scenes and \Support\Plugins\NevronMotion_Win64

If still no luck, reply privately and I'll send it to you.

I won a copy of NevronMotion some years back but never had a Kinect box to really play with it.

Airwaves
01-11-2016, 02:07 PM

eKalb
01-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Thanks guys, this should get me working now!

Airwaves
01-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know if the Kinect One has the mirror option in Lightwave? I have been told about a mirror option but it seems to only be with the original kinect. If it is not in Lightwave does anybody know if Newtek plans on implementing it into lightwave fore the Kinect One?
Thanks

Airwaves
01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys, this should get me working now!

Were you able to get it working? I am wondering because the right leg is always messing up on mine and I am starting to wonder if it is because of the Scene file from the content. Let me know if yours worked. If it did I may have to return my kinectOne for a new one.

eKalb
01-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Mine is working, but I will give the leg a look tonight to make sure.

Blazoneer
01-29-2017, 09:49 AM
First -- excellent set of instructions -- how in the world is someone supposed to get Nevronmotion up and running without these?
Second -- every time I attempted to enable HID -- Layout crashes. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

jeanroland
06-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Hello !

Thank you much for your so detailed explanation for how make Kinect one useful in LightWave.

But my problem is : device manager do not recognize my Kinect
Even I've done all the stuff.
Runtime 2.0
Plugin on the roots as you
Directory with the three lws

The thing is, my Kinect 360 was recognized...
But I need a facial recognition
So I bought a Kinect one.
And now, this is not recognized:(
I'm fed up with that because I'm trying since two months.

So, if you have an advice... I would be so glad.

Thank you in advanced.

cyclopse
06-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Hello !

Thank you much for your so detailed explanation for how make Kinect one useful in LightWave.

But my problem is : device manager do not recognize my Kinect
Even I've done all the stuff.
Runtime 2.0
Plugin on the roots as you
Directory with the three lws

The thing is, my Kinect 360 was recognized...
But I need a facial recognition
So I bought a Kinect one.
And now, this is not recognized:(
I'm fed up with that because I'm trying since two months.

So, if you have an advice... I would be so glad.

Thank you in advanced.

I actually gave up on using the Kinect inside Lightwave Nevron. Instead, I ended up using Brekel Pro Body and Face. Then, I assigned the FBX skeleton it exported (body), or FBX nulls (face) to either Nevron Bones, or morph targets with Morph mixer for the face. Hope that makes sense.

Brekel works great though.

jeanroland
06-20-2017, 11:43 PM
I actually gave up on using the Kinect inside Lightwave Nevron. Instead, I ended up using Brekel Pro Body and Face. Then, I assigned the FBX skeleton it exported (body), or FBX nulls (face) to either Nevron Bones, or morph targets with Morph mixer for the face. Hope that makes sense.

Brekel works great though.

Thank you for your advice ! I'm on that way too :)

YakuzaSauce
08-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Is NevronMotion still free for Lightwave 2015? I purchased November of last year and cannot find any reference to NevronMotion 1.1 anywhere on the license site for NewTek or even on the website- all I see is a purchase option for NevronMotion 1.0 - where is this product to be found?

Airwaves
08-10-2017, 03:54 PM
It should be in your account page from what I know. Where you see the download for Lightwave 2015 it should be at the bottom. You might have to email them.

Honestly I don't know if it will be worth it to use it though. It is such a pain to get working properly and I highly doubt they will do any updates or fix any bugs. I would love to be proved wrong.

Best wishes.

YakuzaSauce
08-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately its not on the download page with the various iterations of Lightwave and my license file. I will probably have to contact support. I want to give it a shot first if its free, but from all of my reading Brekel seems to be a better alternative.

YakuzaSauce
08-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Just found out it was a promotional period. Too late to the game. :(

Marander
08-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Just found out it was a promotional period. Too late to the game. :(

I would ask NewTek sales or support, they might still give it to you, since you bought LW 2015 not too long ago.

Nevron basically works but not easy to setup and retarget to your character. Retarget templates for common 3rd party character rigs would be nice.

Greenlaw
08-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Yes, if you made a recent LW 2015 purchase, NevronMotion should be bundled along with Chronosculpt. If you don't see it on your downloads page, check with CS.

Just to be sure, the NevronMotion and ChronoSculpt download links are close to the bottom of the page, not at the top with the LW 2015 links.

YakuzaSauce
08-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Unfortunately that promotion ended awhile ago- my finding this information out was via contacting support. It's alright though, I wouldn't expect a promotion to last indefinitely.

ruud
08-30-2017, 05:50 AM
Hi Greenlaw, thank you for your effords on making this tutorial.
It brought me back to the KinectOne, I never got it to work properly, and now a few years later I'm trying again.

I got the numbers to move in the device manager until I restarted my PC, now it says Unavailable. On top of trying to solve this myself I removed the device from my Device Manager, never able to put it back....
This leaves me back at the same problem years ago, when I tried to get it to work. Any tips on this? I reinstalled the SDK v2.0 and reinstalled the plugins on Lighwave...

Thanks in advance.

ruscular
02-13-2019, 11:55 PM
I upgraded to Lightwave 2019, and I also have kinect v1 and v2 connected to my computer. However still can not get kinect one to work with the kinect 360 also connected. I use brekel pro body 3, and was able to get the nevron retargeting program to work. Which to many the only good thing that came out of Nevron Motion.