PDA

View Full Version : SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: "These are the droids you're looking for" - Deadline=12/06

Simon-S
11-25-2015, 02:40 AM
Rules:
1. Every challenge specifies a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time modeling. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and final render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread. Note: Some challenges will include final render instructions and time limit restrictions as well. This is up to the judge creating the challenge.
3. Only LightWave is to be used for modeling. However, 3rd party Plugins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time limit, we encourage you to submit the model, but it won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. Although, not required, it is always nice if the artist provides information on how the model was created, what plugins were used and any special techniques used.
7. The following criteria is used to award points. Modeling is looking for good poly flow. The better it is, the more points awarded. Creativity is how you interpreted the specifications of the challenge and applied them in way not necessarily expected. Expression is how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission. Render refers to how well the model, creativity and expression were conveyed.

Criteria Points
Modeling 0 to 5
Creativity 0 to 5
Expression 0 to 5
Render 0 to 5

Challenge: THESE ARE THE DROIDS YOU'RE LOOKING FOR!

With the new Star Wars movie almost upon us I thought it would be fun to create some Star Wars inspired droids for this challenge. Whether it be an R2 style unit or a Hoth style probe droid, give it your best and my the force be with you.

TIME LIMIT: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! We're on the honor system here people.

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break your time up as needed, but do keep track.

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your ‘final’ render displays the model in a scene rather than just a textured render of the model. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

Attached is a PDF of the challenge criteria. I would like to see a lot of participants even if they aren't able to meet the time limit. Give it your best shot, maybe you don't meet the criteria but you still inspire someone else's idea. How great is that?!!

pinkmouse
11-25-2015, 03:41 AM
Fun!

rifenbury
11-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Great challenge, Simon.

bellmore
11-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Will have to find time for this one!!!

caustix
11-25-2015, 03:54 PM
A real classic this one ... great choice.

Kuzey
11-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Wanted to a a darth maul droid but gave up at 40mins & then went on to experiment a bit more :P

Kuzey
11-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Another attempt..my own design (again)

32mins this time so far.

More images on the blog (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2015/11/star-wars-droid-wip1.html)

Simon-S
11-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Nice :)

Kuzey
11-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Thanks!

I got the time lapse up if anyone wants to look see (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2015/11/star-wars-droid-timelapse.html):)

dugieth
11-27-2015, 09:21 AM
1 hour and a half hours work so far, my work so far, fun little challenge, standard tools and I have used 3rd powers lw brush plugin.

Kuzey
11-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Another 28 minute workout :)

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2015/11/star-wars-droid-wip2.html

dugieth
11-29-2015, 08:07 AM
My J4D9 robot completed, I misread the instrutions at first so my hour and a half was including a lot of faffing around with textures and rendering, so here is my complete 2 hours or thereabouts model in wireframe and final render, using lightwave 2015.3 and a dash of the great plugin LW brush from 3rd powers.

unstable
12-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Well, I definitely had fun doing this challenge even though I spent a ton of hours learning how to create proper UV maps. :D:thumbsup: But in the end, I learned a lot. Now all I have to do is remember how to do it for the next time. Anyhow, the modeling came in at exactly 2 hours. I think I may had to spend 5 minutes during my UVing process to tweak the model just a bit. I spent the better part of 30 hours probably learning how to properly unwrap the model to get good UV maps. The stupid canister holders in back and the canisters themselves gave me most the problems. I used Substance Painter to paint the UVs and generate the textures. This was also the first time I really tried to composite anything in a final render. It was easy, but I didn't work on getting the proper reflections in the objects. To tell the truth, I'm just worn out and I don't even know for sure if this qualifies as a droid. :hey:

So this was a first for
UV mapping
Painting in SP
Using SP textures in LW
and Compositing
Not bad for a little challenge. That's why I like these.

I was working on a 'conventional' droid (like R2D2) but I found it difficult to merge a cube into the upper portion of a sphere (just a little off center) without getting pinching on the sphere at the corners of the cube when subpatched. I'd love someone to provide an example of the wires for doing this.

thanks all, it was fun!

Farhad_azer
12-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Hi everybody,

I finished the modeling in exactly 2 hours, (a couple of milliseconds has passed when I stopped the chronometer) and I spent a couple of seconds to readjust the orientation of arms. I noticed small flaws in arms after sending to layout, I ask the respected judge to forgive those 15 seconds of adjusting as it was not actually the modeling.

I did aproximately 15 minutes of texturing and rendering,

Thank you for the exciting challenge and interesting subject.

Yours

Kuzey
12-06-2015, 01:39 PM
I started on the arm..took more than an hour as I was making things up as I went along :P

More renders on the blog (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2015/12/star-wars-droid-wip3.html)

erikals
12-06-2015, 02:57 PM
http://erikalstad.com/cgtemp/r2sadventure.jpg

Simon-S
12-07-2015, 06:30 AM
Ok so times up!

Thanks everyone for your entries, some interesting stuff there for sure.

The results are as follows:

Kuzy: 13
Modeling 5
Creativity 5
Expression 3
Render 0

Dugieth: 11
Modeling 3
Creativity 4
Expression 2
Render 2

Unstable: 11
Modeling 3
Creativity 3
Expression 2
Render 3

Farhad_azer: 12
Modeling 4
Creativity 4
Expression 2
Render 2

So the winner is KUSY! Nice modelling, would have been great to see a final render of the finished droid.

Go forth and set the next challenge Kusy :D

Thanks.

unstable
12-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Congrats Kuzey!! Nice wires. :thumbsup: Look forward to the next challenge.

pinkmouse
12-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Rats. still surfacing! :(

Farhad_azer
12-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Congrats Turk qardashimiz Kuzey,

and thanks Simon again for the challenge and nice evaluation.

pinkmouse
12-07-2015, 07:54 AM
Too late, but thought I'd put them up anyway! :)

Texturing still not finished.

Congrats to Kuzey

unstable
12-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Hey Kuzey, you plan on posting the next challenge today?

bellmore
12-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Where did you go Kuzey?

Slartibartfast
12-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Suggestion to rules amendment:

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!
The new contest must be posted within 5 days, or the next challenge goes to no.n+1 on the list of results. //recursive//

No blame on mr Kuzey here, there is a lot of things more important than this in life, but
https://youtu.be/t99KH0TR-J4?list=RDt99KH0TR-J4

Kuzey
12-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Sorry guys...if anyone wants to jump in with an idea, please do.

Otherwise I'll post something tomorrow.