PDA

View Full Version : HDR Labs Smart_IBL.lsc ?

blueshift
11-24-2015, 07:58 PM
131190I downloaded and extracted HDR Labs IBL ( Plugin ? ) I find it's an .lsc file. Is this an Lscript File ? I have no experience with Lscript files other than The "Hello World " Tute. How do I install and use this. I didn't see anything about it on HDR Labs website yet but I will look again. With the download I also got the sIBLedit app. and in my LW programs/bin folder I find an Lseditor app. I'm totally lost on how to install and use this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DrStrik9
11-24-2015, 08:25 PM
sIBL shows up under Utilities > Additional, as "Smart IBL". You can place it somewhere in your menus using Edit > Edit Menu Layout. I put mine under Items > Add.

On Mac, it doesn't work in 2015, but if you can find the beta (can't remember where I got it, or its version number, but someone told me about it in this forum, so you can probably find the link by doing a search if you need) On Mac, that "beta" version works great in 11.6.3.

I just make sIBL scenes out of every sIBL set I acquire in 11.6.3, for future use in 2015.3 ...

--

EDIT: Oops, I re-read your post and realized you asked how to install sIBL. You install it just like any other plugin: Edit > Edit Plugins.

spherical
11-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Or put it in: [lightWave_install_directory]/support/plugins/scripts/LScript/[third_party_directory_tree]

For the latter in [] I make a "/3rd" directory (for third-party-plugins) and either plunk singletons directly into it or, in the case of one author having several plugins/scripts, make a sub-directory for them under /3rd. So the path becomes: [lightWave_install_directory]/support/plugins/scripts/LScript/3rd/blochi and all of blochi's scripts go in there. Same method is set up in /plugins. Then, when LightWave scans for plugins they are all found and when there is an update or uninstall the third-party-plugins/scripts remain intact in their respective locations.

blueshift
11-26-2015, 11:02 PM
I loaded smart_ibl as described but it then shows up in the edit plugins window with a p in the far left column ( padlock icon ) the only one with a p in that column.131232 I noticed the file I downloaded is a .lsc extension rather than .ls does this mean I first have to first run it through the LSCompiler ? When I add the tab file to the main menu with it as .lsc and padlocked nothing shows up on the left menu. I'm confused though since in the manual it says that ( .ls ) is uncompiled and ( .lsc ) is compiled. 131233 All the other Lscript plugins in the edit plugins window are listed as ( .ls ) don't know where I'm going wrong.

gerry_g
11-27-2015, 03:27 AM
latest version was created September 2011. the one you are installing says 2010, it does show up as p for plugin and is uncompiled script which is normal and it works on a Mac in LW 2015.3

reminder that the beta version found here is the one that works http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1316465879

blueshift
11-29-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm a total noob when it comes to IBL . Is there a users manual for Smart IBL and sIBLedit ? I did get SmartIBL working and it seemed pretty easy until I did that first test render. Then I wondered " How do I render without the IBL Image rendering " . 131264 Also wondering if I uncheck ground plane, will it cast shadows onto the surface of the ground plane I create in LW ? I looked on the website but so far I can't seem to locate a manual.

gerry_g
11-29-2015, 01:08 PM
the BG image is just a large jpeg, replace it with what you like ( as in opening the texture editor and looking for it as part of the sibl set ( marked as sibl background)) the actual image based lighten or HDR is on a second sphere and this is where your reflections and light values are really coming from so won't be affected, if you don't need the shadow catcher just hide it under object properties render tab or delete it even, to alter the direction of the light source just grab the base null for the sibl set (sibl environment null) by selecting it in the scene editor and change the Heading to whatever you want. Colour space is important and will affect VPR and real render speed, set CS in the Preferences panel (D to open) to sRGB using the quick preset drop down selector, if you leave everything at default you get over saturated and overly contrasty results.

blueshift
11-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Thank you Gerry_g I love the results I'm getting already. It looks like this will go a long way to helping my renders look more realistic. Thanks again.