PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Area Light in LW2015

pnevai
11-24-2015, 03:01 PM

This is what the area and spherical light look like in renders when the values are at default. This is present whether or not Global Illumination is on or off, whether Image world is on or off, and does not seem influenced by Light sampling or shading sampling, ray recursion or just about any other setting. And seems as you can see impact only some objects in the scene and not all. Anyone else experience this? NOTE the floor nor the bubble seems to exhibit this weird speckling.

JoePoe
11-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Anyone else experience this?

Not here. Well not as a general outcome using those light types. How do they behave in other scenes?

Specifically in this scene: What's your reflection setting for that surface in combination with bump/roughness?
Does it go away with other light types?
Edit: Oh.... and I might as well ask.... Max render samples? Adaptive Sampling?

Doesn't seem like your floor is receiving shadows at all. Is that correct?

Post scene for diagnosis?

jeric_synergy
11-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Forum tip: for the most useful help here, include sample files illustrating the problem.

Kryslin
11-24-2015, 11:34 PM
Offhand, I'd say not enough shading/lighting samples and/or not enough anti-aliasing applied. The less of one you have, the more of the other you need.
(My defaults - 4 Shading Samples, 5 Lighting Samples, and least 4 passes of adaptive anti-aliasing, with the over sample parameter set @ 0.05)
(I also use the Gaussian reconstruction Filter, and Low Discrepancy sampling)

Andy Webb
11-25-2015, 05:33 AM
I've never had that issue as bad as that before.

It usually happens if you have scaled up the size of your area light.

If you have scaled up your light, reset it to the default size and just use more lights.

Just a guess without seeing your scene file.

spherical
11-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Or use DP Flood and take advantage of its per-light sample value. Only in very rare cases do I mess with native area lights anymore.

Greenlaw
11-26-2015, 09:44 AM
I haven't seen it that bad either.

Are you using the default Light Samples setting? The default setting of 1 is meant for testing purposes or the simplest scenes--you'll need to turn it up for final renders. I usually start at 4 and go up from there as high as necessary, depending on the scene and action. But if I have to go beyond 14 - 16, it's time to try a different set up. (I try to keep my render times down to 15 minute per frame or less as much as possible.)

Before using Area lights, I like to use Dome or DP Distant. They're usually much faster and you can shape the light with modeled flags if you need to. I only switch to Area if I absolutely have to.

G.